• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

JEKKI

Theres a guy that useta work at 1up named Alan Johnson.

that guy's hilarious!!

I wonder if the Johnson in this game was based on or inspired by him??

Anteater

I NEED SCISSORS said:
The handling of the PR and advertisement for this game has been terrible. So many people not even knowing it was coming out next week.

Yea, I thought with EA as publisher would mean their games are going to get more exposure/better PR :(

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Guys, guys, let's all agree not to buy the game so the price crashes and then I can buy it for cheap! (You can too, but it's harder to get excited about that.) Thanks!

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
StuBurns said:
For those interested, this game is directed by Massimo Guarini.

Way of the Samurai 3 (Producer)
Awatama – Soul Bubbles (Creative Producer)
Moon (Producer)
Hello Kitty and Friends! (Creative Producer)
Naruto – Rise of a Ninja (Game Design Director)
Open Season (Design Team Leader)
S.C.A.R. (Game Design)
Rainbow Six 3 Athena Sword (Game Design)
Rainbow Six 3 Raven Shield (Game Design)
Tomb Raider – The Prophecy (Game Design)
The Mummy (Game Director)
Rainbow Six Rogue Spear (Game Design)
Rayman Arena (Game Design)
The Jungle Book (Game Design)
Rayman GBC (Game Design)
Woah. Only one Japanese credit, and that's only as producer.

Interesting that after all the hype about EA teaming up with a Japanese power-trio before in the lead-up to its unveiling, it's directed by a western game designer.

Teknoman

Mikami wasnt involved in Bayonetta? Anyway, is it some new meme to ask "is this game a joke"? Because I seen similar comments in every youtube/gametrailers video related to the game.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Teknoman said:
Mikami wasnt involved in Bayonetta?
He was working on Vanquish at the time it was being made.
Anyway, is it some new meme to ask "is this game a joke"? Because I seen similar comments in every youtube/gametrailers video related to the game.
No, that's just another sad indication of the state of the game market and its inability to handle somewhat unusual visions.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Guys, guys, let's all agree not to buy the game so the price crashes and then I can buy it for cheap! (You can too, but it's harder to get excited about that.) Thanks!

But I want to support Suda and Mikami. D=

todahawk

6 days till launch and not a peep from the press?
No impressions from anyone at all? I want to get this day 1 but I'm a weeeee little bit nervous with the lack of news.

Teknoman

Krev said:
No, that's just another sad indication of the state of the game market and its inability to handle somewhat unusual visions.

Which is strange since I dont remember seeing anything similar back when Bayonetta released. Unless I just bought the game without looking at youtube videos.

Teknoman said:
Mikami wasnt involved in Bayonetta?

Mikami does not even work at Platinum. He is starting his own development studio and is kind of freelancing for the time being. He directed Vanquish, which is developed by Platinum and published by Sega but he does not work there. And as far as Shadows of the Damned, he's listed as "Creative Producer" and certainly had a hand in the game, but does not work at Grasshopper permanently.

Teknoman

ToyMachine228 said:
Mikami does not even work at Platinum. He is starting his own development studio and is kind of freelancing for the time being. He directed Vanquish, which is developed by Platinum and published by Sega but he does not work there. And as far as Shadows of the Damned, he's listed as "Creative Producer" and certainly had a hand in the game, but does not work at Grasshopper permanently.

Had no idea...now I need to find out who is responsible for the awesomeness that was Bayonetta.

EDIT: The boss trailer music was cool, but looking at the other gameplay videos, they could've cut that one together better. Kinda makes the game seem slower than what it is.

Teknoman

Otacon said:
lol@all the gaffers being surprised by its next week release
we really need a GAF release calendar...

definitely have high hopes for it
might be a pretty crazy RE4
trailers and marketing have been pretty meh, though
I WANT it to be good, but somehow fear for the worst
will wait for impressions by days 1 gaffers next week

Thats actually not a bad idea. Sticky post at the beginning of every month showing release dates.

Persona7 said:
Not even gaf knew this game was coming out so soon?

This game doesn't even have a chance.

I knew...but then again commercials and previews have been on loop at Gamestop every day.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Teknoman said:
Had no idea...now I need to find out who is responsible for the awesomeness that was Bayonetta.
Seriously!?
Hideki Kamiya, bro! He of Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry and Okami fame! Only one of the most influential game designers of the past decade!

Krev said:
Seriously!?
Hideki Kamiya, bro! He of Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry and Okami fame! Only one of the most influential game designers of the past decade!

Yeap, Hideki Kayima. His credentials include directing Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Okami and Bayonetta. This is why I posted Mikami's credentials. People always get Kayima and Mikami confused. Mikami did produce some of Kayima's titles at Capcom like RE2 and Devil May Cry.

Hideki Kayima is NOT involved in Shadows of the Damned whatsoever, doesn't even work at the same company, so let's leave the Kayima discussion for another thread.

StuBurns

Banned
Krev said:
Woah. Only one Japanese credit, and that's only as producer.

Interesting that after all the hype about EA teaming up with a Japanese power-trio before in the lead-up to its unveiling, it's directed by a western game designer.
That's a good point yeah. Also, what happened to the other third of that trio? Q completely uninvolved in this project now?

todahawk

Persona7 said:
Not even gaf knew this game was coming out so soon?

This game doesn't even have a chance.

As much as I hate to miss day 1 I smell a big price drop coming soon. Any marketing at all???

Teknoman said:

EDIT: The boss trailer music was cool, but looking at the other gameplay videos, they could've cut that one together better. Kinda makes the game seem slower than what it is.
Kamiya, guy behind Devil May Cry.

EDIT: Whoops, had this thread open for too long.

Teknoman

Krev said:
Seriously!?

Oh right, heh I always get Mikami and Kamiya confused for some reason.

The only reason i haven't preordered this game ages ago is that I'm waiting to know on what platform to play it; Did we get any word concerning the lead platform or anything?
I think I'll wait until reviews and comparisons go up. It's not as if I don't have tons of other things to do in the meantime.

StuBurns

Banned
InternHertz said:
The only reason i haven't preordered this game ages ago is that I'm waiting to know on what platform to play it; Did we get any word concerning the lead platform or anything?
I think I'll wait until reviews and comparisons go up. It's not as if I don't have tons of other things to do in the meantime.
Well the 360 is the safe bet. There are certainly no UE3 games that shine on PS3 but are lacking on 360.

Detox

Never knew this was coming out either. Really interested in how it turns out. Mikami described it as a Suda game except he just helped with the gameplay mechanics to make sure it doesn't become stale after 5 minutes.

Xater

I like Mikami but have serious problems gameplay wise with Suda games. I hope they somehow cancel each other out. And even then I guess I will be able to pick it up for cheap soon anyway. Jeez lots of people here don#t know it's coming out and I don't think I heard about it in the press since TGS.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
To be honest I don't think either are heavily involved in the title outside of putting their names on the box for marketing purposes

I remember reading a Mikami interview where he stated he just visited the office like once a month to see how things were going

Hex

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
GameStop has Shadows of the Damned in it's new weekly ad! At least one retailer knows it's coming out.

I wish Toys R Us would get it because I still have a 15$ card for them

Ridley327

Retro_ said:
To be honest I don't think either are heavily involved in the title outside of putting their names on the box for marketing purposes

I remember reading a Mikami interview where he stated he just visited the office like once a month to see how things were going
From the most latest interviews they've had, Mikami got more hands on with the title as it was nearing completion, which would suggest that it's likely a reasonably polished game. Well, more polished than the average GHM title, heh.

Suda seems to be in the role that he was for NMH2: involved with the creative aspects like the script and the general look and feel while handing the reigns to a different director.

When they started showing off the gameplay demos, I was taken aback by the inclusion of a 180 quickturn while aiming. I don't know why more games don't include this, since it sounds like the best idea ever.

I don't think Mikami had a lot of "hands-on" influence on the game's development but as I understand it, it's basically Mikami and Suda's vision. Suda's style for the world, and Mikami's gameplay concept.

Tomat said:
These promo videos aren't looking so hot. Characters seem pretty generic for a Suda51 game.

Also I would completely disagree that Garcia is a generic character. He's Hispanic for God's sake. Like, actually Hispanic. Has a Hispanic accent and everything. When was the last time we saw a Hispanic as the main character of a game?

Solune

Teknoman said:
Thats actually not a bad idea. Sticky post at the beginning of every month showing release dates.
lordoftherink still does them weekly but the threads hardly get bumped. I believe it was sometime last year sometime when they stopped sticking them on the front page. I don't think they were ever done monthly but if they dropped weekly updates I don't think they'd do monthly.

for someone who's been counting the days, it's kinda sad how this game's imminent release is taking so many by surprise. either that, or i'm just too damn niche for my own good :) ...

#1 game in my Gamefly queue, so I hope I they send it this Monday. I would've just bought it if it were a real Mikami x Suda game, but oh well.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
ToyMachine228 said:
Also I would completely disagree that Garcia is a generic character. He's Hispanic for God's sake. Like, actually Hispanic. Has a Hispanic accent and everything. When was the last time we saw a Hispanic as the main character of a game?

Last year, Just Cause 2. Or as I call it, GOTY 2010.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
You can still support them by buying the game once it drops to a price that is more reflective of its development budget. :p

Meh, I regularly pay $90 for shooters that probably cost 1/1000th of the average AAAAAAA HD game, but that doesn't stop them from being the better purchase.

Amir0x

Banned
This is out so soon!?

Well I need reviews from people who dislike Suda 51/Grasshopper before I know if I can get this. If a fellow Suda 51 detractor likes this game I might get it.

Top Bottom