• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
StuBurns said:
Why isn't there a demo of this and Alice? It's like EA wants them to boom.
I always assume anything without a demo is terrible until proven otherwise. I'm sure I'm not alone in that, so yeah. It sure seems like a bad idea not to have one

StuBurns said:
Why isn't there a demo of this and Alice? It's like EA wants them to boom.
I'm going to be the stupidly hopeful one and say resources? Didn't want to take time away from the development of the game?

This, Alice & Child of Eden all feel like games thrown out in June by the publishers without the marketing I'd really have expected. This & Alice especially (as while interested in both, not as hyped as I've been for CoE) both shocked me when I realised they were coming out in June. Really thought they were Fall titles.

~Kinggi~ said:
Demo would probably kill all hype. Word on the streetz is the controls are pretty terrible.

They look like RE4 to me.

RE4 controls are superb.

They have to really badly replicate them to be terrible.

Grisby

MuseManMike said:
Definitely a rental for me. Am excite though.

Yeah, me too, I don't trust Suda 51 when it comes to gameplay so I'm glad Mikami's on board.

I might buy the OST blind though. Yamaoka is a music god.

StuBurns

Banned
zoner said:
I always assume anything without a demo is terrible until proven otherwise. I'm sure I'm not alone in that, so yeah. It sure seems like a bad idea not to have one
Not always, but in situations such as this, yeah, I assume the same. It certainly could be an issue of resources, but EA could have produced demos themselves.

Child of Eden is a different thing I think, it's going to sell what it sells. Rez is a cult title, the 360 exclusivity must have been compensated in terms of marketing budget. Alice and SotD are just out there. Alice I more understand, but EA made this game out to be a huge deal at one time. Having staff come out and announce the fact something was in-development, now it's just been thrown under the bus, and EA have nothing bigger out this quarter I know of anyway.

Unf unf. Been waiting on this game for ages. Finally it arrives. Day one purchase. And yeah I know people are calling wonky gameplay on this one, but I enjoyed the hell out of Killer 7 so Suda is one of the few people in the industry who can win me over with just the style.

Curufinwe

~Kinggi~ said:
Really? I have to go see those.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-26-shadows-of-the-damned-preview

Fighting is impressively slick, and a lot less clunky than its third-person inspiration. There's a quick-turn available, but you don't have to use it often as Garcia's turning speed isn't as glacial as Chris Redfield's. Generous aim assist makes it pretty easy to hit the mark, but the sheer numbers of the damned, as well as their aggression, keeps the challenge high. Often, you're dodging and dashing around trying to avoid them in search of a goat-head or light source rather than being backed into a corner trying to mow them all down.

I was planning on pre-ordering the 360 version since it's $3 cheaper at Amazon, but I almost never buy games at launch because the price usually falls by 10 or 20 bucks so quickly. And I have other games that I wanted to finish first.

psykomyko

ToyMachine228 said:
I'm going to post highlights of both Shinji Mikami and Suda 51's resumes as a lot of people tend to confuse certain designers from Capcom's heyday.

Shinji Mikami
Resident Evil (PlayStation)- Director/Producer
Resident Evil 2 (PlayStation)- Producer
Dino Crisis (PlayStation)- Director/Producer
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PS)- Producer
Resident Evil: Code Veronic (PS2)- Producer
Dino Crisis 2 (PS)- Producer
Devil May Cry (PS2)- Executive Producer
Resident Evil (GameCube)- Director
Resident Evil Zero- Advisor
PN03 (GameCube)- Director
Resident Evil 4 (GameCube)- Director
Killer 7 (GameCube)- Executive Producer (Also the first collaboration between Suda 51 and Mikami)
God Hand (PS2)- Director
Vanquish (360 and PS3)- Director
Shadows of the Damned (360 and PS3)- Creative Producer

There's other various things thrown in there like lesser producing roles where he wasn't as hands on. Games like Viewtiful Joe, Resident Evil: Outbreak, and Dino Crisis 3.

That's an incredible track record. Just Resident Evil 4 being on there alone makes it incredible.

ToyBroker

Banned
psykomyko said:
That's an incredible track record. Just Resident Evil 4 being on there alone makes it incredible.

Especially being Director.

For his track record alone, I'm gonna end up buying this game if it's half-way decent. Got a lot of cash to burn during the summer, might as well get some gam3z.

Despera

Banned
Game is coming out in less than a week? To think that I only saw the first trailer.

Given the guys involved with this project (fucking Suda, Mikami and Yamaoka) I think I might blind purchase this game. never done one of those in a really long time.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
ToyMachine228 said:
I don't think Mikami had a lot of "hands-on" influence on the game's development but as I understand it, it's basically Mikami and Suda's vision. Suda's style for the world, and Mikami's gameplay concept.
I'm not sure how true that really is.
According to this interview, Guarini also had quite a lot of input into the aesthetics and story. It kind of sounds to me like this is a 'Super 8' type situation where a director works at a game in the style of other creators , who produce it to get their names on the cover.

dochuge

Buying the game day one. Love the look of this one graphically and just gives me an RE4 vibe which is one of my favorite games of all time. Seems to have the feel of that game although you can move and shoot at the same time. My only question mark is if the game is simply too samey all the way through. Move, get trapped by monsters, shoot light source to remove threat, repeat. Looking very linear too but its looking a little like RE4 on an acid trip. Definitely excited.

Doc

I'll just say this - Killer7 remains one of the greatest game experiences I ever let myself take part in. It felt like I was falling down the rabbit hole and I couldn't be the same when I came out the other end. Very few interactive experiences can make you feel that way. If one of Grasshopper's/Suda's works can re-capture that feeling I'll be impressed.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
JasoNsider said:
I'll just say this - Killer7 remains one of the greatest game experiences I ever let myself take part in. It felt like I was falling down the rabbit hole and I couldn't be the same when I came out the other end. Very few interactive experiences can make you feel that way. If one of Grasshopper's/Suda's works can re-capture that feeling I'll be impressed.
I wouldn't expect that in a game not directed by him and heavily built upon the gameplay foundations of an earlier hit.
Killer7 was a true original in a way that this doesn't seem to be at all.

Ricker

I don`t know,of course I want it to be good but after seeing the Qore footage,I have a bad feeling about this one...the camera seems to be placed behind his knees or something,making everything look small around him and the huge single ennemy doesn`t help either...gameplay looks looks very clunky with no sense of progression it seems...is it all set pieces or do you actually explore and move around?...waiting for impressions on this one,hopefully it`s a nice surprise game like Alice or Nier last year.

Whelp. I had no idea this was coming out soon. Plus I hadn't seen much more than the original announcement trailer. Once the sidekick showed up in the gameplay trailer I was sold. Added to my buy list.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I NEED SCISSORS said:
The handling of the PR and advertisement for this game has been terrible. So many people not even knowing it was coming out next week.
No one knows anything about this game.

It's good to know that's how EA will treat the EA Partners games.

Ridley327

Brazil said:
No one know anything about this game.

It's good to know that's how EA will treat the EA Partners games.
After Brutal Legend crashed and burned in spectacular fashion, I'm not exactly all that surprised by the treatment that SotD is getting. I guess we should at least be thankful that it's showing up in a few ads for next week.

I like the works of both of the guys behind this game. For some reason I'm not sure what to think about this game. The demos and trailers have been interesting but I haven't been urged to purchase.

I went ahead and pre-ordered this. I've been pretty stingy this year but I'm going all out for this one.

Go watch the trailers if you haven't already. I'm already sending links to the trailers to my friends on facebook. I'm hoping good word of mouth helps to move this one. I saw what happened to Vanquish and I don't want a repeat. This could be a great long running franchise if it sells.

Teknoman

Yurt said:
Haha, man I'd totally buy a game starring Shinji and Suda :p

Would be nice if they had spoof characters mimicking both, giving Suda some wrestling moves and Shinji a load of guns.

EDIT: lol super dramatic voice in the preview.

maks

It doesn't matter how good the gameplay is. If your game doesn't have mass market appeal then don't expect a big marketing push. Blame the devs for their creative choices.

maks said:
It doesn't matter how good the gameplay is. If your game doesn't have mass market appeal then don't expect a big marketing push. Blame the devs for their creative choices.

I applaud the devs for their creative choices actually. It's a shame stuff like this doesn't sell well but it will just make me happy to play it.

And it's hilarious that this is actually tame and kinda watered down coming from Suda lol. It's kind of giving me a Big Trouble in Little China vibe actually.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Discotheque said:
I applaud the devs for their creative choices actually. It's a shame stuff like this doesn't sell well but it will just make me happy to play it.

And it's hilarious that this is actually tame and kinda watered down coming from Suda lol. It's kind of giving me a Big Trouble in Little China vibe actually.
The director said he wanted the game to have an 80s B-movie feel, so...mission accomplished.

I expect that when we Suda reveals what he's been working on rit will be just as crazy as NMH, Killer7 or Flower Sun & Rain.

Aaron

maks said:
How does the mass market know what they want until advertising tells them?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Discotheque said:
what does 'rit' mean? He's been working on multiple projects? Wow I never knew of this :O
Typo.
But yeah, Suda just worked on the script and produced this one. It was the same situation with NMH2.
He's involved in a Kinect XBLA game called Project D, a collaboration with Yuji Naka, and maybe one with Kojima as well. I think he's directing the Yuji Naka collaboration.

Dascu

No, he's not doing a collaboration with Yuji Naka. There's just some confusion because both games were announced at the same time. Yuji Naka's game with Kadokawa Games is called Rodea the Sky Soldier for Wii/3DS. We haven't had any other info yet on the Suda game (a trademark might point towards Lollipop Chainsaw being the name).

Top Bottom