• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

Teknoman

Spoilers for the
Library
section. Is that book supposed to show the type of Demon
Johnson
used to be?

EDIT: Whoa, even that one picture of Saturn is in this place. Those of you who've hit the off-topic side art threads know what i'm talking about. Goya.

Both versions are just as disturbing :/

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
zoner said:
So what's the deal with the headshot camera? I can't seem to find anything that makes it trigger

Get a kill with a headshot even if it's not the first shot, then you can trigger it if you get another headshot WITHOUT hitting any body part. You can miss a bunch of shots, but it won't happen if you hit an enemy anywhere else.

Papercuts

Just try and learn how many shots it takes to the legs and adjust accordingly. I got it on Hard right after the headshot one completely randomly, but on easy I just need one shot to the legs to remove them and I've pulled off the headshot afterwards plenty of times.

Papercuts

Try to do it when they stand still. They kinda pop up onto it, I didn't have to move my reticule at all.

Still bugging out on me quite a bit. On the
library
level, after defeating the boss everything was dark with no goat head to shoot. A reload sorted it as always though.

Progressing nicely, up to 4-4. Trying to stretch it out a bit though as I know I could easily sit down with it for an hour or two and finish it.

randomwab

Just completed it, and it's straight up GotY material for me. The gameplay was shockingly tight for a Grasshopper game. Perfect level of weapon progression too. It's amazing how the game consistently felt fresh throughout. And for such crude humour, it pulled it off perfectly unlike some other recent releases. This is the Portal 2 of dick jokes, and I love it.

Seriously hope we get a sequel. Also; best post credit scene ever. Ever. Ever. Spoilers.

GABDEG

randomwab said:
Just completed it, and it's straight up GotY material for me.
I also just finished it and have to agree 100 percent. 76 on Metacritic is a fucking joke. This game is a 9/10 easily.

Only thing I was waiting for after the credits rolled was a notification that New Game+ is now unlocked :(

Grisby

So I wanted to do a more in depth review, :3.

Gameplay:
Overall the gameplay was very enjoyable and the shooting felt tight. Thats also a bit of a complaint too because I felt that sometimes the aiming was a bit too squirrelly, even when I had lowered my settings. Everything else was pretty nice though. The shadow element here was fine and I never felt it was a hindrance. The few puzzles here are few, and easy to solve. This is a fun and fast action game. Some things repeat a bit too much (see below) but the game isn't that long, and doesn't wear its welcome completely.

Mostly my concerns lie with the 4th chapter namely,
the 2D side scrolling sections and turret sections. Both of which are slow, and in the 2D one, felt tacked on with sluggish controls.
Oh, and I felt the weapons were a bit lame, serviceable, but generic.

Presentation:
Pretty nice looking, with a consistent atmosphere. The lighting also does wonders sometimes, with Christopher's blue gardens being a highlight for me. Suda goes for a really grisly atmosphere and he mostly succeeds although sometimes I felt it was a bit too much. I don't mean I found it squeamish or anything, but that it felt visually/thematically boring at times.

The music is the real highlight. Akira Yamaoka knocks is out of the park with songs ranging from quiet tempos to just weird beats (sushi song).

Story:
Crazy, and in a good sense. Garica and Johnson make a fun duo, one that I would love to see return. The story felt good, and I really wanted to see it to the end. Some jokes fall very flat such as that opening internet line but others are genuinely funny.

I think the best praise I can give it is that for a Suda game, it felt cohesive and well paced. I loved the ending too, made me give out a big f yeah.

Overall:
The game was fun but short, with hardly any replay value and no newgame+. I'd give it a 8. There are a lot of repeating sections (find the berry, find the baby, etc) but it was still a good time. A hell of a rental.

One last thing, I loved how when you died you would see Garcia raise himself from the ground and put his fist in the air. Little touches you know.

I just finished this. It's a decent game, but it gets a little repetitive and starts to drag every now and then. And pretty much every boss was terrible too. But I still enjoyed it, for the most part.

I think my biggest issue with the game is that the gameplay isn't as good as a full Mikami game, and the story and characters aren't as interesting as a full Suda game, so it's kinda in this middle ground of mediocrity.

Now I need to play it two more times for the 1000/1000, and I don't really feel like it...

Trevelyon

iconoclast said:
Now I need to play it two more times for the 1000/1000, and I don't really feel like it...

It really sucks that the difficulties don't stack, but honestly the game is dead easy and there's a white gem exploit that makes High in Las Vegas a cake walk.

Perhaps come back to it later.

Teknoman

I will say I wish the bosses attack patterns were better. I liked the designs of their human and beast forms...but the attacks themselves kinda let me down.

Draft

The turret sequence frustrated me enough that I turned the game off. The game before that was good, but maybe not so good that I'll bother to soldier through another shitty turret sequence in a third person shooter.

Teknoman

It was kinda lame for having such a large environment around you, but just giving you that one section to play through. Its pretty easy though, just rotate alot and aim for the head/multi shots to drop them quickly.

Draft

Teknoman said:
It was kinda lame for having such a large environment around you, but just giving you that one section to play through. Its pretty easy though, just rotate alot and aim for the head/multi shots to drop them quickly.
It may be easy for you, but for me it's frustrating. And it takes 10 seconds for Garcia to die (and that joke is only funny once,) then it takes another 20 seconds to load, then it takes another 10 seconds to dial the strip club and grow Johnson. So, for someone who does not find it easy, that's almost 1 minute of waiting between attempts, which is what really makes the sequence frustrating.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The Boss Books are worth this game alone. The writing in them is eerie and the voice acting is flawless... interesting, creepy, and entertaining all in one!

These guys excel at boss encounters for sure.

edit: okay, it's official, Casey Wichtitz is my new favorite character.
It's like an Alanis Morrisette song.

Wiggum2007

I really wanted to enjoy this game, but I ended up finding it generally mediocre (but not offensively bad) with occasional spurts of greatness. Like, I can point to a handful of fantastic moments (loved the Evil Dead reference, and the story books) but there was a lot of dullness in between. Fantastic soundtrack though, anyone have a link to a download/youtube upload of the sushi song?

JaxJag

Banned
Game is a disappointment for me.

I was liking the humor and atmosphere at first, but once that starts to wear thin the whole game just sort of falls apart.

The gameplay itself is average at best. The combat just isn't all that enjoyable, the aiming sensitivity just feels a little off, not to mention the enemies just aren't very fun to fight.

The boss fights aren't really hard, just very long and tedious. It seems most bosses just have a little more health than they probably should have, and you end up doing the same routine about 1 to 2 times too many.

The side scrolling shooter parts are just plain boring and long.

And the gameplay segements where you use your giant boner are just terrible, and go on for a bit too long.

My most disappointing game of the year by far.

Lard

Banned
So I've heard that there is a level that
is a tribute to Evil Dead?

Is this true? Just asking for a yes or no.

JaxJag

Banned
Papercuts said:
It's one segment composed of 3 parts that all happen at once.
Well, however many times you do it it's awful.

Made even worse by Johnson basically having an orgasm everytime you pull the trigger.

Playing through the game on Legion Hunter after beating it on Demon. The gameplay is much more fun at this difficulty. Still not incredibly hard, but at least it feels intense at times. Wish I had played through on this difficulty the first time.

The world design, character design, and story in this game are incredibly good. I don't like it as much as Killer 7 (not even in terms of gameplay), but it's still one of my all time favorites of this generation.

Irish

This game was pretty darn hilarious all the way through. My favorite parts had to have been the books about the different demons. Georgie-Boy really loved the taste of beaver.

I ended up playing this game almost like it was Dead Space. I only used the Hot Boner for the most part and ended up just shooting everyone's legs off and stomping on them for mad money.

ToyMachine228 said:
What the fuck is with this bridge puzzle in 4-3? What am I even trying to make a bridge to? I'm so confused. And frustrated.

Yeah, this section really annoyed me too. It and the chase sequences were the only two things I really had issue with in the game.

Papercuts

Can't say it's surprising given the fact half of the thread, on gaf of all places, didn't even know the game was coming out. I've even gotten a message on live asking what the hell I've been playing.

Top Bottom