• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

meltingparappa said:
That
internet
joke was.... bizarre though. I really don't get it. But the game makes up for it by immediately following it up with EFF YEAH TIME TO
SELECT A SAVE FILE
!
Lol. Yeah the game is so tackily written it's amazing, and it knows it. I love how it's just constantly trying to be as weird and vulgar as possible, and having so much fun with itself, and poking fun at / paying homage to many other movies and games along the way. To many games take themselves way to seriously these days.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
It worked a hell of a lot better than Bulletstorm, and I was so ready to embrace Bulletstorm. I think the script's only real misstep is the
C-bomb throwdown
- there's a time and place for it, and that was neither of them.

Jarmel

Banned
Ok so just wrapped this up and had a few questions.
So Fleming is still alive after you defeated him? And Paula is the Unbreakable Huntress? Also how the hell did they escape the Darkness?

Tokubetsu

D2M15 said:
It worked a hell of a lot better than Bulletstorm, and I was so ready to embrace Bulletstorm. I think the script's only real misstep is the
C-bomb throwdown
- there's a time and place for it, and that was neither of them.

What? Bulletstorm works just as well if not better because it doesn't have some lame fake spanish accent going for the main character.

Tokubetsu said:
What? Bulletstorm works just as well if not better because it doesn't have some lame fake spanish accent going for the main character.

Personally, Shadows and Bulletstorm are in two different categories for me. Shadows' dialogue sounds like stuff that (for the most part) a bunch of buddies in a room might say. Tiny little "Fuck you!'s" here and there, stuff like that. Bulletstorm was just absolutely over the top on purpose. And I like both games so I'm not knocking either style.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Bulletstorm was overwritten, as is the case with most games that bring in a writer from another medium.

edit: I should say that it wasn't badly written, it just could have been a lot punchier.

Serious question, how do you do perform the various "brutal kills" after stunning an enemy with the light shot? Are they context sensitive, or do different enemy types have a different kill or what? Want to get the achievement for doing all 5.

Curufinwe

ToyMachine228 said:
Serious question, how do you do perform the various "brutal kills" after stunning an enemy with the light shot? Are they context sensitive, or do different enemy types have a different kill or what? Want to get the achievement for doing all 5.

I just kept doing them on the standard enemies in Act 2-1 and it popped right away. It seemed like they were just cycling thru the different ones.

Montresor

This is my GOTY of 2011 so far.

Lame fake spanish accent? Seriously? Maybe it's fake, but lame? I adddddoooorrrreeeed this guy's voice acting.

"FEH-OH-NEEX"

<3

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
ToyMachine228 said:

It's random.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Same guy who did Jack Cayman, yah?

Is it Steve Blum, or am I making that up?
He fucking nails it

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
John Harker said:
Same guy who did Jack Cayman, yah?

Is it Steve Blum, or am I making that up?
He fucking nails it

Yup, steve blum did them both.

Also thought it was funny that he did Grayson from Bulletstorm, the first time you see those big demons and Garcia says "Look at the size of that motherfucker!" sounded just like him.

Anony

Anony said:
finished it
so the end, they died together?
the thing after was a flashback or something?

was paula the demon mistress the entire time? the one johnson was talking about, the first demon huntress?

well, to requote myself, since i wasnt getting any answers, i look a skim at some of the posts on gamefaq on the ending

i think i got the ending right going by the comments of others
the very end, after the love suicide, they are back in the hotel, which seems to be the what happened all the way back when u start the game and you're thrown into the tutorial

paula was the demon mistress, but, i'm not quite sure if she was the first demon mistress that johnson talked about

pretty sure they died in the end ('love suicide' achievement), that or flemming mindfucked them at the end

excellent voice acting, 'magnifico', best line ever with that accent
johnson's voice actor was good too

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Papercuts said:
Yup, steve blum did them both.

Also thought it was funny that he did Grayson from Bulletstorm, the first time you see those big demons and Garcia says "Look at the size of that motherfucker!" sounded just like him.

Yah, Steve Blum and Robin Atkins Downes are my two favorite male voice actors in gaming for sure. I mean, between the two of them, they're in every video game ever, but when they do leads, they really forking nail it.

web01

Regarding the Lens of Truth.

Is it just me or some shots look really dark on PS3 to the point you can barely
see what is going on.

voodoopanda said:
Suda51 hasn't actually directed a game himself since the first No More Heroes, right? I hope he directs a game again soon.

Yeah, this is the bullshit part of the japanese game industry. the good directors are promoted to advisory roles.

/rant

This game is amazing, but I can't play more than 2 hours in one sitting. There are some parts that just frustrate the hell out of me. I appreciate the fact that the game tries to include mini games to fresh things up. However, most of them are more annoying than fun, especially when one has to do them in a set of threes (big boner, 2d shooting).

Furthermore, the game glitches every now and then. In the library act, I literally fought a teleport demon for almost 10 minutes because it wont die (the first one took like 30 seconds), despite the fact I blew all my green shells and half stack of red shells on it. In the end the demon just disappeared, and the door unlocked itself.

The reaper 3 boss was a pain in the butt; longest fight thus far. I will probably finish the game tomorrow, in the beginning of Act 5 so far.

If this game was a bit more polished, it would have easily been my top 5 games this year.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
D2M15 said:
wait until
you get to 5-2!
Oh man. I'm not looking forward to that. I actually like the difficulty curve right now...

Eh not really, stylistically it's better. But I'm enjoying the gameplay more here, and there are some really cool looking levels from time to time.

Also the art direction in the loading screens (and the music in the sidescroller levels) is impeccable.

Killer7 is still tops though.

BTW did anybody find the Cole/Gears reference in this game hilarious? Bitch got owned.

StuBurns

Banned
Played the start. I'm pretty impressed. Till now I've pretty much hated what's come from this studio. Killer7 is terrible and NMH is almost as bad. I've always felt like they had something interesting to say, but have never had the chops to make a competent game to host their talents. I think this is probably the game I've been waiting for from them.

It's still a little janky, the combat is fine, but physically moving Hotspur doesn't feel as good as it should. I bought the PS3 version, if LoT is right and it's the better looking version, I really can't tell, it's way below par visually.

The music is incredible.

I'm very early, but it's already feeling like it should have been a rental, but I'm very impressed given where it's coming from.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I am right at the end of Chapter 4 now and I am totally loving this game, fairly easy though! However I am very disappointed in the lack of NG+. What the hell?! EVERY game with an upgrade system like this should have a NG+.

Tokubetsu

StuBurns said:
Played the start. I'm pretty impressed. Till now I've pretty much hated what's come from this studio. Killer7 is terrible and NMH is almost as bad. I've always felt like they had something interesting to say, but have never had the chops to make a competent game to host their talents. I think this is probably the game I've been waiting for from them.

It's still a little janky, the combat is fine, but physically moving Hotspur doesn't feel as good as it should. I bought the PS3 version, if LoT is right and it's the better looking version, I really can't tell, it's way below par visually.

The music is incredible.

I'm very early, but it's already feeling like it should have been a rental, but I'm very impressed given where it's coming from.

My feeling as well though I'm a bit more forgiving of the jank and stuff. I'm just really enjoying the setting and score. While I hate his voice, I love Garcia's design as well.

Also, I love gore and all the bodyparts and the rivers of blood. So it's definitely up my alley.

Diamond

Finished it last night. Goty material for me. :)
The game has this bizarre atmosphere, with great visual design, fun characters and Yamaoka sublime music, really compelling. It's like something Rodriguez could have done, but with this crazy japanese touch.

It was not clear how the triple collaboration would work out, but even if it's arguable if Suda was really the director or if Mikami really had the final word on gameplay, I feel you really see these guys influence everywhere in the game, and for the better. You have a goofy, light story and setting (Suda) with interesting gameplay mechanics (Mikami) and a score which compliments the two (Yamaoka). The style of each of the three is clearly recognizable, not as strongly as with their own games, but that's only logical. I'd love to see other experiences in the same vein.

Loved the storybooks. Loved when the game went a little crazy with level design, particularly in Acts 4 and 5. Loved the ending too, it's simple but the game didn't need more to be complete.

Long story short : Scha-wing ! :)

kodecraft

StuBurns said:
I feel bad for the director of this game, basically getting ignored.

I agree, but when you got Suda, Mikami, and Yamaoka's names attached to a project along with you....then....it happens.

Plus, I think we're all fans of the 3 big names so we cling to that fact while playing the game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
StuBurns said:
I don't. Given the bad marketing for this game, hardly anyone would've bought it if it wasn't for the three big names. Sales with low recognition > no sales with no recognition

tetrisgrammaton said:
No More Heroes is so much better than this. :(
you're so wrong it's not even funny

StuBurns

Banned
zoner said:
I don't. Given the bad marketing for this game, hardly anyone would've bought it if it wasn't for the three big names. Sales with low recognition > no sales with no recognition
I'd say Suda's name puts more people off than attracts them, but who knows.

Most people don't know game creators.

StuBurns said:
I'd say Suda's name puts more people off than attracts them, but who knows.

Most people don't know game creators.

This game received no real marketing from what I could see at work. Maybe one poster? I see EA did a hell of a job promoting this to the public.

Elginer

Urban Scholar said:
This game received no real marketing from what I could see at work. Maybe one poster? I see EA did a hell of a job promoting this to the public.

Not surprised. It seems to have gotten the Alice treatment. Still, loving the hell out of it. I can foresee this becoming one of those cult classic games down the line.

StuBurns

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
I was speaking to the guy at Game today and he said they'd received very low shipments of the game on both consoles too, they were out of 360 copies and I got the last PS3 version.

It seems like even if it'd had caught on with the public they hadn't made enough to have it sell that well.

Diamond

StuBurns said:

Well, Guarini hasn't a known "style" that can be easily recognized, unlike the others, but you're right, he should be mentioned. He was the guy who wanted to
reference Evil Dead in the game for example if I remember correctly.
Fun sequence.

That said, I really don't know if I would have loved Shadows of the Damned as much as I loved it if he had been the only guy behind the project, because I suspect it wouldn't have been the same game at all.

StuBurns

Banned
Diamond_4444 said:
Well, Guarini hasn't a known "style" that can be easily recognized, unlike the others, but you're right, he should be mentioned. He was the guy who wanted to
reference Evil Dead in the game for example if I remember correctly.
Fun sequence.

That said, I really don't know if I would have loved Shadows of the Damned as much as I loved it if he had been the only guy behind the project, because I suspect it wouldn't have been the same game at all.
I don't know of course, but I feel like Suda requested them to make a RE4.5, got Mikami to come and check in to see it feels right (and it seems to), while Suda shaped it into a game indicative of his style, but it would appear Guarini essentially fronted the grunt work of designing the moment to moment play.

I think regardless, this is what I've wanted from Grasshopper since I played Killer7 basically. Whoever did what, I'm glad they did.

I have to wait till I get my PS3 replaced tomorrow to play more though.

kodecraft

StuBurns said:
I was speaking to the guy at Game today and he said they'd received very low shipments of the game on both consoles too, they were out of 360 copies and I got the last PS3 version.

It seems like even if it'd had caught on with the public they hadn't made enough to have it sell that well.

I wonder if EA themselves thought that this was just some sort of "fast food" or a "mixtape" type of experience and not a real meal or an album, hence the lack of marketing.

Things like no NG+ etc. Maybe even a rental in their eyes with the hopes of a niche consumer that would buy the few titles they actually shipped to retail.

StuBurns said:
I don't know of course, but I feel like Suda requested them to make a RE4.5, got Mikami to come and check in to see it feels right (and it seems to), while Suda shaped it into a game indicative of his style, but it would appear Guarini essentially fronted the grunt work of designing the moment to moment play.

I think regardless, this is what I've wanted from Grasshopper since I played Killer7 basically. Whoever did what, I'm glad they did.

I have to wait till I get my PS3 replaced tomorrow to play more though.

The impression I get from interviews with Suda and Mikami is that Suda had an idea for a game in which the main protagonist carries around a torch and combats/deals with darkness, and EA agreed to fund the project if they would make it more mainstream (basically make it more of a shooter). Because Mikami and Suda had become good friends while working on Killer7 Mikami was then invited to join in. I don't know exactly what part Guarini played, but it seems to have been really, really important, and I'll definitely be following whatever game he ends up working on next.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ConcealedBlaze said:
I don't know exactly what part Guarini played, but it seems to have been really, really important, and I'll definitely be following whatever game he ends up working on next.

Well, he was the director. I dont think Suda was ever actually directing Shadows of the Damned. He wrote the script and scenarios, but gameplay and project direction was all Massimo Guarini.

Kind of like No More Heroes 2, Suda's impact on the actual gameplay was minimal.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Tain said:
So does anyone have a breakdown of exactly how much involvement Mikami had?

I believe he was 'officially' bought on to oversee the combat, but stated in an interview it developed into a larger role where he was having input on all sorts of things.

StuBurns

Banned
Didn't he say he'd stop by the studio about once a month? Presumably it was mostly to consult on the tactile aspects, it feels like a bizzaro world RE4 certainly.

JaxJag

Banned
StuBurns said:
Didn't he say he'd stop by the studio about once a month? Presumably it was mostly to consult on the tactile aspects, it feels like a bizzaro world RE4 certainly.

It feels like a mix of Dead Space 2 and Resident Evil 4, but the combat isn't as good as either game.

The enemies just aren't fun to fight, I think that's really the major problem with the combat. Also, the levels are so claustrophobic, you don't feel almost throughout the entire game that you have much room to evade enemies.

I was always hitting walls and getting stuck on stuff. Granted, even on hard, the enemies are just crazy easy, but it's still an issue.

Top Bottom