• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

Paula. Guess it doesn't help that I didn't really upgrade the Teether.
Then yeah, I mean... I only played it on "demon hunter" difficulty, but
keep ahead of the darkness, ignore the scrubs (rolling past them will usually slow them down, really) and occasionally do the 'back-hit" when the prompt comes up, but otherwise just aim at Paula with the teether and go to town. Use the monocussioner if you're close enough and feeling frisky.

It didn't give me any grief, but then again it's probably because Demon Hunter was pretty easy. I kinda want to play it on a harder difficulty to see if it gets ungodly tense.

Ridley327

meltingparappa said:
Then yeah, I mean... I only played it on "demon hunter" difficulty, but
keep ahead of the darkness, ignore the scrubs (rolling past them will usually slow them down, really) and occasionally do the 'back-hit" when the prompt comes up, but otherwise just aim at Paula with the teether and go to town. Use the monocussioner if you're close enough and feeling frisky.

It didn't give me any grief, but then again it's probably because Demon Hunter was pretty easy. I kinda want to play it on a harder difficulty to see if it gets ungodly tense.
I can assure you that it gets down to the wire on Legion Hunter; I'd have to think that the harder difficulty actually made that fight a lot better.

I just started on Demon Hunter to try and clean up the rest of the achievements (because why the hell not), and man, is it a shitload easier. I can't even imagine how much easier Lemon Hunter will turn out to be.

How are the
2d sections
on legion hunter? I can imagine the rest of the game being somewhat balanced, but the boss of that section was already a test of endurance, I can't imagine what it would be like if the harder difficulty made it even more of a bullet sponge than it already was.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Miri said:
Grasshopper did the Samurai Champloo game? I already wanted to play it, now I gotta.

Heh. Be forewarned that it's janky as hell, definitely a 6/10 from the parallel world where that's still allowed to mean a perfectly good game. The soundtrack (oh man, the soundtrack!) and the flourishes of inspired gameplay takes on the source material - often not that successful, but they're still inspired - make up for when it drags.

JEKKI

aw maaaaan! it happened again!!

I found a baby that wanted a Strawberry, so I found one, and the path continued on,

but instead of going thru the path, I went to the baby gate.

as it turned out, that was the right way to go for stage progression.

-_-

it seems the hardest part about this game is knowing when and when not to backtrack, coz Im sure I am missing a lot of red gems or something...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
meltingparappa said:
How are the
2d sections
on legion hunter? I can imagine the rest of the game being somewhat balanced, but the boss of that section was already a test of endurance, I can't imagine what it would be like if the harder difficulty made it even more of a bullet sponge than it already was.

They're actually pretty easy, the boss didn't take very long. Legion Hunter bosses that REALLY become bullet sponges are
the third Grim Reaper and Fleming. These both took me 30+ minutes of constantly attacking and refilling ammo.

Ridley327

meltingparappa said:
How are the
2d sections
I didn't have a lot of problems with
Justine
; I didn't die during the fight and found it to be just fine.

Just beat it.

OH SHIT! NEED A SEQUEL ASAP.

meltingparappa said:
How are the
2d sections
They weren't bad. I would have preferred a
Contra style as opposed to a shoot-'em-up style
, though.

Other than the things listed below, I love everything about the game.

* Lack of polish in some animations, which are pretty good a majority of the time.
* Puzzles aren't too interesting.
* Lack of New Game+ really hurts the game, in my opinion. If the game had a variety of ways to play like Vanquish, it wouldn't be so bad.
* Aside from the last boss, every boss is too easy. I'm not saying I want more bosses like the last boss, though, because I don't think the last boss is well designed.
* Would have liked an expanded set of melee moves. After Resident Evil 4 and Vanquish, I kind of expected more from Mikami in this department, seeing as he oversaw the gameplay in this.
* I would have liked a bit more exploration. I really wanted to check out the
red light district
in Act 4. It's a shame they limited that part entirely to a
turret
section.
* Overall, the game isn't very challenging.

... I think that's all.

This game feels very much like a Grasshopper game and plays a lot like a title from Mikami. Definitely a good combination. In my opinion, other than the Dead Space games, this is as close as we'll get to a decent successor to Resident Evil 4. The music is also incredible, and is probably going to end up as my soundtrack of the year. Hopefully we'll get a date for the full soundtrack soon.

EDIT: Oh yeah, my playthrough was about 9 hours.

I haven't beaten the title but so far it is the best game I have played all year. It could be beaten later but in a weak year, this one stands out. The gameplay is solid and themes are great.

Regardless of how you personally rate the game, I can't see how anyone could rate the soundtrack as anything other than top tier. Honestly, I rate Shadows of the Damned and JSRF as the top 2 game soundtracks of all time.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Regardless of how you personally rate the game, I can't see how anyone could rate the soundtrack as anything other than top tier. Honestly, I rate Shadows of the Damned and JSRF as the top 2 game soundtracks of all time.
Nier has the best soundtrack I've heard recently. I would say DMD's soundtrack is pretty close to it as far as quality goes.

Nier was my favorite in recent memory, but I think Shadows destroyed it. It's something I'll be able to listen to again and again.

And I gotta have the Sushi song and the side-scroller level one in the soundtrack.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I haven't tried Neir yet but I really should.
Yes, you should.

Discotheque said:
Nier was my favorite in recent memory, but I think Shadows destroyed it. It's something I'll be able to listen to again and again.

And I gotta have the Sushi song and the side-scroller level one in the soundtrack.
This song is SO good. I really dig the title menu song as well.

Even the music at the loading screen brings something to the experience.

Man I really wish there is a game in the future that has some of the best composers out there experimenting together. I would really like to see something like that where they just let loose of the reins and let them get as nutty as they want.

Tokubetsu

Gotta say, one thing I love is how this controls. Wasn't a big fan of RE4 but this feels right and I'm assuming it's because of the more arcade nature of the game. Having run on RT just feels great.

JEKKI

I like how Johnson always calls the main dood "G"

I wonder if that's Suda 51 paying homage to the Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

coz in that show Will Smith always calls the butler G also (for Geoffrey)

I'm sure Suda is a fan of that show too!!

That soundtrack is DEFINITELY mind-blowing. I'm kinda disappointed that the main theme is just relegated to a credits song and not integrated throughout. Would have been great to have it crescendo during the final bossfight, for instance. But that's like shedding tears over a single molecule of spilled milk.

I thought no new game plus would bum me out, but in fact I don't mind so much. There's not a whole lot of variety in how you approach the encounters or navigate through a level. By the end of the game I had gotten enough red gems to level up all my weapons except for the reloading speed (as it was already super fast).

Thinking back, this game was truly great. I hope that word of mouth spreads and it gets a much needed sequel. Suda built at least one really awesome hook into it that hasn't even come close to being fully explored.

Tokubetsu said:
Gotta say, one thing I love is how this controls. Wasn't a big fan of RE4 but this feels right and I'm assuming it's because of the more arcade nature of the game. Having run on RT just feels great.
I hate the fact that it has a duration, though. You can keep pressing the right trigger every couple of seconds without having any cooldown phase. It makes having such a phase completely pointless.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
JEKKI said:
I like how Johnson always calls the main dood "G"

I wonder if that's Suda 51 paying homage to the Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

coz in that show Will Smith always calls the butler G also (for Geoffrey)

I'm sure Suda is a fan of that show too!!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=G

"G" was used to refer to a friend or acquaintance for years before Fresh Prince. I highly, highly doubt it's a Fresh Prince reference.

lingiii

Banned
so this game sounds bangin'. any word on a version comparison? PS3 or 360? haven't noticed anything in the several pages of thread I've read...

Dizzle24

He probably just calls him "G" because his name is Garcia.
This should have been obvious to everyone.

In trophy news, I can't seem to get the "5 headshot in a row" trophy no matter how hard I try...
Also, the Red Gem trophy seems impossible as well. I look everywhere I can before leaving areas, save all White gems so I can buy every Red gem possible, and I'm still missing a crazy amount mid-world 4.
At least it's a fun game to reply many times, so I don't mind going through it a third time to find everything.

Garcia Hotspur

Neo Member
Dizzle24 said:
This should have been obvious to everyone.

In trophy news, I can't seem to get the "5 headshot in a row" trophy no matter how hard I try...
Also, the Red Gem trophy seems impossible as well. I look everywhere I can before leaving areas, save all White gems so I can buy every Red gem possible, and I'm still missing a crazy amount mid-world 4.
At least it's a fun game to reply many times, so I don't mind going through it a third time to find everything.

Good place to get the 5 headshot achievement is at the very start in Garcia's apartment. You have unlimited life so you can take your time and line up every shot.

Whoa didn't realize that, good call Hotspur.

The puppeteer one is kinda annoying me though. But I'm not planning on platinuming this. I'll definitely play through it again on hard and superhard, but that's about it. I really don't wanna find every red gem. I'm a quittah

Eurocult

Really loving this game, but I wish they would fix a few things.

1. - It's a little buggy. Game froze at least 2 times and needed a hard reset. One time it froze right after I finished a boss, but before I got to the next save point. Fuck me. PS3 version.

2. - I want to be able to skip cut scenes after I watched them once. This really sucks when you die and have to sit through a cut scene after sitting through a loading screen.

Papercuts

Discotheque said:
Whoa didn't realize that, good call Hotspur.

The puppeteer one is kinda annoying me though. But I'm not planning on platinuming this. I'll definitely play through it again on hard and superhard, but that's about it. I really don't wanna find every red gem. I'm a quittah

The red gem thing is actually easier than I expected, but mainly if you play it on easy and game the system a lot. Red Gems cost 45 here, so if you farm on the times you get unlimited enemies for a bit you can get an insane amount, or just aim for the legs and stomp kills for a few extra.

I just got to 3-3 again, and already maxed the damage of every weapon, health, all of the light shot areas, and 2 for capacity in each gun. So I have ~46 already.

john tv

Couple of random questions for people who've played more than me:

- do you get the trophies for the lower difficulty levels if you beat it first on a harder one? or do you have to play through them each separately?

- anyone know where the first endless spawn area is? the first one I noticed was in the big swamp but I wasn't really looking beforehand (didn't even realize the game had them until then)

Papercuts

john tv said:

- do you get the trophies for the lower difficulty levels if you beat it first on a harder one? or do you have to play through them each separately?

- anyone know where the first endless spawn area is? the first one I noticed was in the big swamp but I wasn't really looking beforehand (didn't even realize the game had them until then)

-Nope, you have to replay the easier levels. I started on Hard and am blowing through Easy to get all the red gems, then a final Normal run will finish it off. :\

-There's 2 spots before the swamp. The first time it introduces the corpses in darkness making enemies, you have to shoot a goat head to advance but can wait and kill off the enemies. There's only two at a time and they need to climb a fence so it takes awhile here, not a very good spot.

The first time you see one of those head things that make a pillar of darkness that you go inside to shoot the 3 red orbs(dunno how else to explain it, lol) each face throws up an endless steam. 3 at a time here.

soultron

Banned
john tv said:

You need to run through each difficulty individually.

The swamp was the first "grind" area I noticed too.

john tv

Papercuts said:
-Nope, you have to replay the easier levels. I started on Hard and am blowing through Easy to get all the red gems, then a final Normal run will finish it off. :\

-There's 2 spots before the swamp. The first time it introduces the corpses in darkness making enemies, you have to shoot a goat head to advance but can wait and kill off the enemies. There's only two at a time and they need to climb a fence so it takes awhile here, not a very good spot.

The first time you see one of those head things that make a pillar of darkness that you go inside to shoot the 3 red orbs(dunno how else to explain it, lol) each face throws up an endless steam. 3 at a time here.
Thanks for the info - sounds like the swamp is maybe the best spot to farm gems then, since there's a vending machine nearby if you ever need health. I at least stopped cause I worried about running out of ammo, but I suppose you could just light-shot + melee kill everyone if things really got desperate? LOL. Anyway, looking forward to 2nd playthrough for stuff like this.

soultron

Banned
john tv said:
Thanks for the info - sounds like the swamp is maybe the best spot to farm gems then, since there's a vending machine nearby if you ever need health. I at least stopped cause I worried about running out of ammo, but I suppose you could just light-shot + melee kill everyone if things really got desperate? LOL. Anyway, looking forward to 2nd playthrough for stuff like this.
The game seems to reward you with the right type of ammo (when you're running low) from regular enemies, so don't worry too much about that.

Papercuts

john tv said:

The thing with the head was a great spot because it had respawning ammo all around the area. The swamp gives a lot of ammo as well, but yeah light shot and melee works fine too. I can't really tell how the gem distribution works because it seems like it would sometimes stop giving gems if you kept doing the same thing, shooting the legs and stomping the body always seems to work though.

Hey, I'm playing on hard mode and there's a glitch going on apparently which keeps you from beating the last boss. Did anyone else encounter it? It's annoying as hell.

Papercuts

Uncompromisable said:
Hey, I'm playing on hard mode and there's a glitch going on apparently which keeps you from beating the last boss. Did anyone else encounter it? It's annoying as hell.

If the hotboner orb disappears you can actually still shoot it sometimes. I honestly have no idea how I ended up beating him because he NEVER turned yellow the third time, it seems like when he gets stunned you should stick him then shoot him in the head a lot before you detonate it. It was extremely annoying.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Echoing the complaints that the game was too easy. For every enemy there was some weapon or secondary fire that would make short work of them, usually the Dentist.

soultron

Banned
EatChildren said:
Echoing the complaints that the game was too easy. For every enemy there was some weapon or secondary fire that would make short work of them, usually the Dentist.
NG+ would totally break the game... but I still want it. :[

Papercuts

It's a mixture of things. The dentist was a really fun weapon to use, but it did make EVERYTHING easy as hell later on. But the dodge roll is an easy way out of everything because you're invincible the whole way through, and can even roll into enemies to stun them. Then the light shot takes no ammo, and if you upgrade the rate of fire/enemy stun you have a fast shooting attack that you can turn into an instant kill.

The game is satisfying to play/control regardless, I don't think there's much they can do to make it more difficult.

soultron

Banned
Papercuts said:
It's a mixture of things. The dentist was a really fun weapon to use, but it did make EVERYTHING easy as hell later on. But the dodge roll is an easy way out of everything because you're invincible the whole way through, and can even roll into enemies to stun them. Then the light shot takes no ammo, and if you upgrade the rate of fire/enemy stun you have a fast shooting attack that you can turn into an instant kill.

The game is satisfying to play/control regardless, I don't think there's much they can do to make it more difficult.
The hilarious thing is the stock enemies you encounter from the get-go do more damage than a certain annoying late-game enemy (the
QTE-sequence
dudes with
the jagged scissor arms
).

Still, it's such a great trip. I haven't been able to forgive a game of its shortcomings so easily in such a long time. Feels good, man.

Papercuts

soultron said:
The hilarious thing is the stock enemies you encounter from the get-go do more damage than a certain annoying late-game enemy (the
QTE-sequence
dudes with
the jagged scissor arms
).

Still, it's such a great trip. I haven't been able to forgive a game of its shortcomings so easily in such a long time. Feels good, man.

Those guys instant kill you on hard if you mess up. :p

Even though it was fairly easy, I appreciated how it always kept you doing different things depending on the area/monsters. Very little of it was just running down a corridor blastin dudes with one gun. Some guys required the light shot, some required the explosive bombs, some required the skullblaster, some were way easier with the dentist, some you needed to manipulate the darkness for, etc. Kept me engaged even though once you figured out the right way to kill something it was pretty easy to do so.

Papercuts

soultron said:
That's what needs to happen regardless of difficulty, IMO. They're pretty easy to avoid. :]

Oh yeah, they are. You can also instant kill them with the boner's charge shot.

soultron

Banned
Papercuts said:
Oh yeah, they are. You can also instant kill them with the boner's charge shot.
The boner was my weapon of choice, but I immediately whipped out the teether/dentist for those guys. Never even thought to use the charge shot! Thanks for the tips! :]

Jarmel

Banned
Playing on Legion Hunter and on 4-5 and starting to get really pissed off with some of these bosses. Just take ammo like a champ and keep on turning.

Top Bottom