• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I died twice on the turret section. Otherwise its pretty easy if you aim for one-hit-kills.

Curufinwe said:
http://www.next-gen.biz/reviews/shadows-damned-review

They can't be serious... what third person shooters have a general lock-on for guns just in case the player is so awful they can't aim properly? Aiming is the whole point of the gameplay.

Guuuuuuaghh. Shit like this is why games keep getting easier and easier with more hand holding than ever before.

Xater said:
Not surprising at all, but still a sad state of affairs. Seeing F3EAR come in third is kind of disgusting.
Most shops here aren't even selling it. It wasn't in HMV or ASDA when I was in town the other day. Online retailers are also selling out, as if initial shipments are incredibly small.

I had to stop playing this because of how much fun I was having playing it, didn't want the game to end when I beat it on, Friday. Was going to start a New game, but said "Nah" I'll save it for a rainy day and get the rest of the achievements. But, when the real OST drops.....I'm there.

So I just beat the game, and here's my thoughts:

+The gameplay is refined and masterful.
+The game's atmosphere just oozes 80's horror b-movie.
+The music is amazing in this game, from the score to the actual songs.
+Garcia and Johnson are a great action comedy duo that keep you entertained throughout the game.
+The dialogue is cleverly stupid, that you can't help but find it funny.
+The story is enjoyable and doesn't take itself seriously at all.
+As you keep going the game throws new challenges and enemies at you to keep it fresh.
+The characters from Garcia and Johnson to the bosses and Fleming are memorable.
+The games weapons and upgrades for them are all fun to try out and give the game more variety.
+Different styles of gameplay that are all done well.
+The bosses are fun as hell.
+Very well paced.

-The game may be too linear for its own good.
-The game is very easy so there never was a real threat in the game once you get used to the aiming.
-The length is too short, which in turn makes the game less of a value.
-No NG+ is a travesty for this game.
-The ending leaves a lot to be desired.

Overall though I love it and see this as a game that would benefit massively from a sequel that looks into the flaws. Either way top 5 game this year and reviewers like GT showed me why I don't take game reviewers seriously anymore.

Finished it up earlier. Really enjoyed it despite a couple of issues. Sad to see it debut so low in the charts here, hopefully it does well enough over time.

Oh and aside from Child of Eden, definitely the soundtrack of the year so far. Amazing job from Yamaoka!

Curufinwe

Half of the reviewers gave it 80% or more, and the ones I read (Giant Bomb, Gamespy and Game Informer) did a nice job of explaining what makes the game good, so it doesn't make me write off game reviewers as a whole.

Picked this up today, after finishing FEAR3 last night.

I'm on act 2-3 and all I can say is that this is so far a tie for my GOTY (alongside Infamous 2). The music is incredible, the presentation (aside from loading times) is fantastic, and the game is just completley OTT in every regard. Banter between Garcier Johnson is always enjoyable and often very funny. There seems to be a perfect merger between the style of Suda 51 and the gameplay sensabilities of Mikami's games.

The underworld designs are totally fucked up and grotesque, as are the enemies, brilliant, and a horror-fans dream game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I love that Fleming is voiced by the same guy who did the Merchant from Resident Evil 4.

Ridley327

canadian crowe said:
Whoa whoa whoa, I must have missed that. What happened?
4-3:
right at the end in the hall where you have to follow the sushi lamp around while demons spawn around in the darkness; right before you do that, you get a small cutscene of a demon reading a book and turning to you with a shushing gesture.

SotD_SanFrancisco_01.jpg

I love that Fleming is voiced by the same guy who did the Merchant from Resident Evil 4.

Whoa, reallly??? Awesome!

Bought the game today and have played an hour or so. I've just got used to the controls (which I though felt terrible at the beginning, but I'm now pulling off lots of head shots!).

Loving this game so far!

eXistor

I finished it last night and I'm already almost done with my second playthrough today. It sucks that achievements don't stack though, now I have to finish the game on a lower difficulty if I want to get them all. I also never have the need to buy drinks now (the game is definitely too easy, even on hard), but I still don't have nearly enough white gems to get all the red gems, they're even a lot cheaper on normal!

That said, this game keeps on giving. I find the combat to be especially satisfying, now that I can pull off headshots left and right.

Has anyone caught any references to past Grasshopper games in SotD? It's something I've always liked about their games but they can be easy to miss. I know there's a few reused sound effects, and I thought it was funny both No More Heroes and SotD begins with the main character riding a motorcycle up to a door and then kicking it open. SotD is missing the "Let the blood[bath/shed] begin!" that is said in the beginning of both killer7 and NMH, though.

Rented it during the weekend and finished it in about 5-6 hours.

Somehow it really wasnt my type of Game. I usually like SUDA51 Games. Played the heck out of Killer7 and NMH and even Michigan...
I thought it would be as "over the top" as the other titles I played from him. Was a bit disappointed that this wasnt the case.

But really liked Johnson. His personality reminded me of Wheatley from Portal 2 :)

Synless

I was surprised to see the PS3 version win the Head2Head on Lens of Truth. I guess holding out was a good idea and I'm surprised the 360 didn't take it being UE3 and all.

Ridley327

voodoopanda said:
Has anyone caught any references to past Grasshopper games in SotD? It's something I've always liked about their games but they can be easy to miss. I know there's a few reused sound effects, and I thought it was funny both No More Heroes and SotD begins with the main character riding a motorcycle up to a door and then kicking it open. SotD is missing the "Let the blood[bath/shed] begin!" that is said in the beginning of both killer7 and NMH, though.
I was actually kinda surprised that you didn't kill anyone that bore a strong resemblance to Travis, as is often the tradition for GHM's original games.

Guess they're saving that for NMH3 or something.

.la1n

randomwab said:
And he was also Leon's voice. Mind blown.

Wow the things you learn much much later. I did notice the similarity to the merchant (steve as I called him) from RE4 and Fleming. I would have never known he did Leon as well. Crazy.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
voodoopanda said:

Both Travis and Garcia make sure the bosses know their name before they kill them.
I really liked that.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I just started playing yesterday, and I finished the Cannibal Carnival. I hate fights like that, but still had a blast with it. In terms of difficulty, what should I expect, in comparison to what I've faced so far?

voodoopanda said:
The regular zombies in SOTD actually remind me a lot of the Heaven's Smiles in Killer7 (mostly just their basic design).

Ok so I finished it.

All it all it was okay. Above average game with some questionable design choices. In terms of a Sude51 game, it's definitively a disappointment for me. If this is Suda51 'selling out' than I can't consider him one of my favorite designers anymore sadly. This game was in a lot of ways an insult to his off-the-wall style by being overly dull in terms of storyline and twists, and especially paper-thin characters. I made this purchase blind based on his track record, won't be doing that again.

Ridley327

thetrin said:
I just started playing yesterday, and I finished the Cannibal Carnival. I hate fights like that, but still had a blast with it. In terms of difficulty, what should I expect, in comparison to what I've faced so far?

The regular zombies in SOTD actually remind me a lot of the Heaven's Smiles in Killer7 (mostly just their basic design).
They also bleed in a 99% identical manner.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Ridley327 said:
They also bleed in a 99% identical manner.
I'm a little surprised Garcia didn't say "you're fucked" after headshots.

dreamfall

And completed!

Seriously, an amazing experience from beginning to end. I think sound design of this game is by far its strong point, and the shooting mechanics flow very well. The d-pad mapping for each gun works very well in combat, and switching on the fly makes it seamless. This world is insane- vivid lighting has made hell a colorfully dreary place! Running through the darkness to find and light shot a goat head always felt lovely! The story books were fantastic- and set the tone for each boss you encountered.

Concerning the end-
I loved that little twist- Paula being the Underworld's mistress/ huntress and Garcia having to fight demons so they could be together. All little details Garcia spoke of (her shooting skill, her issues with him answering the phone, etc.) help fill out some details of their relationship as demon hunters & lovers. The love suicide bit was unexpected- watching as your life bar drained away, I felt strangely helpless after being a badass for so long!

The insanity of trying to shoot Paula's wings as the darkness started to enclose the surroundings was beautiful! And inside the labyrinth of the castle, those garden sections with singing flowers were visually remarkable.

I think with Suda, as always, it's either a really love or absolutely hate. There is so much personality infused in his games, and some really good use of color & the UE engine. The way the game uses lightness/darkness is really pretty awesome. So much fun!

Man

"And that night, George proved it as he buried his face in Mary's beaver.
'Play that harmonica,' she purred."

This game.

Man

Is it a bug in the game when you receive the skullcussioner/shotty later on? I had it from the start on Normal difficulty.

edit: Though I see it has more upgrade possibilites now.

Anony

at 5-1
so many cheap deaths, and terrible respawn right before a cutscene
getting boring honestly

also, getting tired of collecting white gems, you can just farm it if you wanted to
more intelligently placed red gems in secret areas would have been better

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Man said:
Is it a bug in the game when you receive the skullcussioner/shotty later on? I had it from the start on Normal difficulty.

edit: Though I see it has more upgrade possibilites now.

You start with the monocussioner, it only has one shot and you can only upgrade the reload IIRC. The first upgrade lets it shoot 4 times and you can up the damage and capacity.

TheOddOne

I just got this game today, played it for a hour or two.

HOLY FUCK WHAT IS GOING ON HERE, WHAT I HAVE NO WORDS TO DESCRIBE THE WEIRDEST THAT THIS GAME IS. I SERIOSLY HAVE THE WEIRDEST BONER RIGHT NOW.

Anony

finished it
so the end, they died together?
the thing after was a flashback or something?

was paula the demon mistress the entire time? the one johnson was talking about, the first demon huntress?

About to start Act 5. I agree with most people that the 2D sections were pretty uncalled for. The boss fight itself was kind of cool, a bit long, but kind of cool. Kind of just feels like it was added for length.

That said, the last environment in Act 4 before
you enter the Church
feels like a Mikami RE4 environment through and through. Was a nice change of pace compared to the linearity of the game before it. That's not a complaint about the linearity either.

kliklik

Banned
Just picked this up yesterday. I've barely played but can someone explain how these zoom-in slo-mo shots get activated? I've done some headshots (I think... their heads pop off) but there's no special cinematic on it, and then sometimes there is.

EDIT: I read back in the thread and got my answer. I'll try two headshots in a row now.

Blakero said:
First 20 minutes of the game I was not feeling it so much, but then the hour after that blew my mind. I love it!

Really? I thought the opening was really cool, especially when it transitioned from
cutscene to start menu on the bike speeding down the highway
, straight after a gory gunfight in your apartment. Really great way to kick start the game IMO.

Atilac said:
xbox360 or ps3?
I haven't seen the xbox360 version to compare, but the PS3 version runs very nicely. I thought the game would be a trainwreck of a port considering it's UE3 and coming from a small team but it's smooth as butter.

Appollowexx said:
Really? I thought the opening was really cool, especially when it transitioned from
cutscene to start menu on the bike speeding down the highway
, straight after a gory gunfight in your apartment. Really great way to kick start the game IMO.
That
internet
joke was.... bizarre though. I really don't get it. But the game makes up for it by immediately following it up with EFF YEAH TIME TO
SELECT A SAVE FILE
!

EatChildren

I really, really dig games that throw you into the fun right off the bat, so I loved how Shadows of the Damned started before you had even created a file.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Ok, so I just walked right through the wall at the beginning of chapter 4-5. Awesome.

Edit: Can't seem to do it again. Meh.

Top Bottom