• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

Teknoman

Ridley327 said:
Just got done with the game. The presentation is sloppy as all hell, but the gameplay is absolutely rock-solid and it does a very good job of keeping things fresh from chapter to chapter. The humor is, well, crude and juvenile, but it's a very endearing sort of crude and juvenile that doesn't try too hard, nor does it outstay its welcome. The sound work in general, as is often the case for any Grasshopper Manufacture, is absolutely phenomenal, with particular accolades centering on the fantastic soundtrack. The only big knock is there really isn't anything to do after you've beaten it if you're not an achievement/trophy whore; no new game+, no bonus modes outside of a difficulty unlock, no nothing.

Bottom line: fun, fun game that actually plays quite well.

Whats so sloppy about the presentation (thats speaking of title screens, load screens, etc or something else)?

White Man

Chock it up to my bitchy anxiety problems, but uh, how much of the game involves running through the dark and looking for goatheads to light before your health leeches away?

Aside from that. . .Suda made something playable AND insane.

Teknoman said:
Whats so sloppy about the presentation (thats speaking of title screens, load screens, etc or something else)?
enjoying the game, but presentation wise i'd criticise no ability to keep more than one save, no chapter selection, no pause or skip option for cutscenes and that god awful run animation.

also inverting the aiming controls for the 'paper' sections if i have my aiming controls inverted is really really dumb. how did that slip through?

soultron

Banned
plagiarize said:
enjoying the game, but presentation wise i'd criticise no ability to keep more than one save, no chapter selection, no pause or skip option for cutscenes and that god awful run animation.

also inverting the aiming controls for the 'paper' sections if i have my aiming controls inverted is really really dumb. how did that slip through?
Save, chapter selection, and skipping cutscenes aren't really presentation. Presentation is visuals and audio alone, IMO.

You can skip certain scenes and dialogue. I just mashed buttons and it seemed to work.

soultron

Banned
White Man said:
Chock it up to my bitchy anxiety problems, but uh, how much of the game involves running through the dark and looking for goatheads to light before your health leeches away?

Aside from that. . .Suda made something playable AND insane.
It's an emotionally exhausting game because it is very low lit a lot of the time. You're a really powerful character which means you're not scared, per say, but the setting can be emotionally taxing if you play for too long.

I finished the game in two sittings but was frequently asking myself, "damn, when am I going to see some light?"

Even having said this, rent it and see how it works with you.

G.O.O.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I was talking about English and whatever language the poster I was responding to was talking about (which I assumed was not Japanese).
It's French.

Demon hunter becomes chasseur de démon
Lemon hunter becomes chasseur de citron
(Also, the hard mode isn't "Legion hunter" but "Extreme hunt" or something like that. Seriously, wtf)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Complaints about this being a 'Suda game', as if the game itself is poorly designed, are a bit confusing to me. Killer7 and No More Heroes? Okay, we could argue that, but this? Shadows of the Damned is absolutely the most gamey-game that Grasshopper has ever produced, and Suda didn't direct it.

Its not without a slew of rough corners, but I really dont think this is a case of style over substance. Yeah, it has loads of style, but it also has a lot of genuine gameplay. The enemy design (particularly weaknesses), environment puzzles, encounters, and boss fights all, to me, call upon staples of 'good game design' that one might find in something like Resident Evil 4. Its not something like No More Heroes or even Killer 7 where the quirky mechanics and surpises keep you playing (if you're someone who played for that reason). To me the very act of playing Shadows of the Damned is itself quite fun.

Out of every game Grasshopper has ever developer this would be the first I'd point to for those looking for more of a gamer focused experienced over the likes of Killer 7, Flower Sun & Rain, or even No More Heroes.

Flower, Sun and Rain isn't a good introduction into Grasshopper anyway, unless you want to prevent that person from trying another game from them. On topic, I like what I'm hearing about SotD. I hope it's actually something I'll enjoy because it seems to play similarly to RE4 with a soundtrack by Akira Yamaoka with some Suda 51 too which is a great concoction for me.

Just got my platinum trophy. I'll take a breather for a while before I beat the game on Satanic Hell, hopefully there will be a patch to add in a trophy for this mode.

For those wondering if this game is made of awesome, (not really a spoiler) Fleming has that box checked.

After 3 playthroughs I have a severe LSS of
Johnson's rap, he's one truly magnificent horny demon skull. <3

derFeef

Thought I would get this for the weekend, looks like I will have to wait for next week. Oh well. This will be my first Suda and/or Grasshopper game, so this will decide if I am going to watch their future games. Everything I see and hear sounds bonkers, though.

EatChildren said:
Complaints about this being a 'Suda game', as if the game itself is poorly designed, are a bit confusing to me. Killer7 and No More Heroes? Okay, we could argue that, but this? Shadows of the Damned is absolutely the most gamey-game that Grasshopper has ever produced, and Suda didn't direct it.

Its not without a slew of rough corners, but I really dont think this is a case of style over substance. Yeah, it has loads of style, but it also has a lot of genuine gameplay. The enemy design (particularly weaknesses), environment puzzles, encounters, and boss fights all, to me, call upon staples of 'good game design' that one might find in something like Resident Evil 4. Its not something like No More Heroes or even Killer 7 where the quirky mechanics and surpises keep you playing (if you're someone who played for that reason). To me the very act of playing Shadows of the Damned is itself quite fun.

Out of every game Grasshopper has ever developer this would be the first I'd point to for those looking for more of a gamer focused experienced over the likes of Killer 7, Flower Sun & Rain, or even No More Heroes.

Agreed. I think this project shows that SUDA should stay in the style department and leave the gameplay mechanics to others. Imagine what a collaboration with Kamiya or a competent Western developer would entail.....

Flower, Sun and Rain is my favorite video game. Shadows of the Damned doesn't really come close to what I love about a lot of past Grasshopper games, although there are a few good Suda51 touches here and there. That said, the game is still pretty awesome and I really like it. It's definitely my favorite game of the year so far and it'll be hard to beat. Shadows of the Damned feels more Troma than David Lynch, but I happen to enjoy both of those things so it all works out for me.

I think Suda51's gameplay, taken out of the context of the game, can be considered "bad" on its own. But I think its kind of incredible what he does gameplay-wise when put into the context of the entire game and it's story and what it's trying to say. It's polished not in the direction of "what would be a fun game to play by itself" and more polished towards "whats the best kind of gameplay to support the message." It's definitely not something for everyone and I can see why people dislike it, but I can't get enough of it. I hope Suda51 comes back to directing a truly out there game again.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, there's a lack of polish in some spots and the lack of New Game+ sucks, but the game mechanics are totally fine and the game is just enjoyable to control. You aren't going to get stuff like those god awful Shinobu platforming segments in NMH2 here.

John Harker said:
Sushi With A Dick has GOT to be the new Companion Cube.

Sushi is better, got awesome music with him.

Anyways I just beat the game. I loved the first 2d sidescroller level, but the other two were pains in the ass.

But damn I love the art and music so much in those levels. The art looks clearly inspired by Mexican/Aztec stuff (like Grim Fandango was) which adds a ton of charm to it.

G.O.O.

EatChildren said:
I'll speak for myself but I liked how he was experimenting gameplay-wise. It could take a while to get used to (or sometimes, like in FSR, a real pain in the arse) but it helped to create a unique experience. Sorry if that makes me sound like a hipster or something, but next to these games, SotD looks... kinda normal. It sure is fun and quirky, but that's not what I used to expect from Grasshopper.

However, I don't blame them for going this way. It's probably better for them and for most of gamers.

edit :

I think Suda51's gameplay, taken out of the context of the game, can be considered "bad" on its own. But I think its kind of incredible what he does gameplay-wise when put into the context of the entire game and it's story and what it's trying to say. It's polished not in the direction of "what would be a fun game to play by itself" and more polished towards "whats the best kind of gameplay to support the message." It's definitely not something for everyone and I can see why people dislike it, but I can't get enough of it. I hope Suda51 comes back to directing a truly out there game again.
this

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
G.O.O. said:
I'll speak for myself but I liked how he was experimenting gameplay-wise. It could take a while to get used to (or sometimes, like in FSR, a real pain in the arse) but it helped to create a unique experience. Sorry if that makes me sound like a hipster or something, but next to these games, SotD looks... kinda normal. It sure is fun and quirky, but that's not what I used to expect from Grasshopper.

However, I don't blame them for going this way. It's probably better for them and for most of gamers.

I agree with this though. Killer7 is one of my favourite games of all time (signed copy sitting proudy on my shelf :p) because of how abnormal and quirky it is.

I simply think that Shadows of the Damned is the worst case for arguing that Grasshopper is style-over-substance, as it is their most traditional playing and designed game so far. A lot of the reasons why people might dislike past Grasshopper games I dont feel apply to Shadows at all, and I know for a fact that some people who hated Grasshopper's more absurd titles are really enjoying Shadows.

I might prefer Killer7/No More Heroes/Flower, Sun & Rain, but I also loved the shit out of Shadows of the Damned for where it excelled.

Dascu

EatChildren said:
I simply think that Shadows of the Damned is the worst case for arguing that Grasshopper is style-over-substance, as it is their most traditional playing and designed game so far. A lot of the reasons why people might dislike past Grasshopper games I dont feel apply to Shadows at all, and I know for a fact that some people who hated Grasshopper's more absurd titles are really enjoying Shadows.
I suppose you're ignoring stuff like Fatal Frame 4, their Shining Soul games and licensed games like Blood+ and Samurai Champloo? I'd argue that NMH2 is very traditional in design as well.

It's only Suda's "Kill the Past" series of games that was unorthodox in design.

EatChildren

Dascu said:
I suppose you're ignoring stuff like Fatal Frame 4, their Shining Soul games and licensed games like Blood+ and Samurai Champloo? I'd argue that NMH2 is very traditional in design as well.

Fatal Frame IV by default is still less 'traditional', or perhaps 'mass market' playing, than Shadows of the Damned, which is why I didn't mention it. The other examples are truthful, and yes I would agree with NMH2 as well.

I'm not really trying to make to much of an issue out of this. I just think its wrong for people to write off Shadows of the Damned as 'style over substance' simply because their experience with known Grasshopper games has lead them to believe as such. Personal taste and preference aside, I would argue that Shadows of the Damned is one of if not the most accessible game Grasshopper has ever developed, and people who were unimpressed or uninterested in other Grasshopper work are doing themselves a disservice by ignoring it.

Dascu said:

Reminding me that I wanted to play Fatal Frame 4 but it never came out in the US. I guess all four of those games aren't original Grasshopper IPs so they feel different from the purely original output when discussing the studio. SotD is both an original Grasshopper IP and a very traditional and accessible game.

Just now to Chapter 3, but Im in love with this game. Unless it takes a huge dip in quality the rest of the way, this could end up being my favorite game so far this year.

I haven't read through this entire thread yet to see if anyone else is having the same problem, but my game is stuck loading after the "Riders of the Lost Heart" boss :(

Restarted it and same thing happened. Don't suppose there's a way round this? Was absolutely loving the game and want to play more!

Grisby

JustAnotherOtaku said:
I haven't read through this entire thread yet to see if anyone else is having the same problem, but my game is stuck loading after the "Riders of the Lost Heart" boss :(

Restarted it and same thing happened. Don't suppose there's a way round this? Was absolutely loving the game and want to play more!

No, haven't heard of that.

I had two instances where I thought it had froze during loading. Sometimes the game just takes a damn while to load.

EatChildren said:
I'm not really trying to make to much of an issue out of this. I just think its wrong for people to write off Shadows of the Damned as 'style over substance' simply because their experience with known Grasshopper games has lead them to believe as such. Personal taste and preference aside, I would argue that Shadows of the Damned is one of if not the most accessible game Grasshopper has ever developed, and people who were unimpressed or uninterested in other Grasshopper work are doing themselves a disservice by ignoring it.

oh, no - not another low-key, coherent gaf mod!...

sotd, for me, is simply suda's attempt to embrace traditional gaming conventions, or at least reach some kind of compromise with them, as opposed to 'challenging' them, or standing them on their head. i mean, for him, it's actually almost experimental :) . having decided to give it a shot, i think it's almost natural that he'd go for something with a cheesy/grindhouse vibe, & that he'd hook up with some of the people involved...

whether this all works for gamers not fond of his stuff to begin with, or just more comfortable with an uncharted-level type of mainstream slickness, well, that's a tough one. all i can say is, he's definitely, in own way, attempting to meet y'all halfway, the team involved have their chops down, & if it's not really important to you that a game takes itself seriously, you might just find yourself having fun...

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Dascu said:
I suppose you're ignoring stuff like Fatal Frame 4, their Shining Soul games and licensed games like Blood+ and Samurai Champloo

Samurai Champloo is hardly orthodox, and would have been even less so if they'd nailed the record-mixing combo mechanic. It's definitely got more of the GHM edge I was looking for in Shadows.

But I'm already on a third playthrough of Shadows, so I guess I can settle for it 'only' being one of the most entertaining shooters of the generation as opposed to a game that makes me see things differently. Man, does it give out trophies/achievements like sweets, though. I would have accidentally platinumed it on my first run-through if difficulty trophies were cumulative, which makes me feel bad. I hate trophies.

JEKKI

whooo~!!! finally got a chance to play this again after 2 days!!

beat the first big boss, it was hecka fun!!

now on stage 3-1!! this game is awesome!!

Just beat it on normal, and I gotta say, while I really liked it, I was dissapointed time and again by one thing over and over.

The games a fucking cakewalk. In particular, the BOSSES ARE SO GOD DAMN EASY. Why are they so easy?

iavi

D2M15 said:
Samurai Champloo is hardly orthodox, and would have been even less so if they'd nailed the record-mixing combo mechanic. It's definitely got more of the GHM edge I was looking for in Shadows.

But I'm already on a third playthrough of Shadows, so I guess I can settle for it 'only' being one of the most entertaining shooters of the generation as opposed to a game that makes me see things differently. Man, does it give out trophies/achievements like sweets, though. I would have accidentally platinumed it on my first run-through if difficulty trophies were cumulative, which makes me feel bad. I hate trophies.

Grasshopper did the Samurai Champloo game? I already wanted to play it, now I gotta.

The only difference between this game and other GhM games is that Suda is not the director - he is the writer and Exec. Producer. Had he had directorial control of Shadows, (not to say that Massimo Guarini didn't do a great job directing - he did, by the way) then there would be more wrestling references. Also, this was a completely different concept before EA told him to change it to a shooter.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I've missed a couple of Red Gems in my Lemon Hunter playthrough and now I won't get the upgrades trophy.

Fourth playthrough here I come. Fuck.

I'm in the middle of 3-1...enjoying it quite a bit. And, seriously...George
is so messed up...especially in beast form...and then he pisses in the fountain and brings down the darkness? LOL

I don't know who these designers are you're talking about, but this game is just messed up. I don't know the last time I've played anything quite like it, if ever. Pretty screwed up but you want to keep going to see the next f'ed up set piece they come up with. It reminds me a lot of The Cell or Event Horizon, some of it.

Varshes

Zefah said:
Cool! Does that game automatically switch to Japanese (excluding the voice acting, obviously) when like with Platinum's and Capcom's (excluding the original Dead Rising) games? Is there anywhere in the options to change the display language?

I didn't want to start the game on my Japanese account, 'cause there's an achievement that comes up right when you hit start and I don't want it on my card. I tried it on my Korean account, no difference from the US version, didn't see any option to change languages.

I'm not really a fan of crude humor but Duke Nukem Forever could have learned something from this game. There's some great witty humor between Johnson and Garcia dealing with the absurdity of the situation. I've actually laughed and that's something I couldn't say for DNF.

Top Bottom