• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |EU OT| Atlus Shrugged

Lernaean

Banned
I finally can enjoy this game, and boy am i excited!
Have very little time the last few days, plus a nasty cold so i haven't progressed much, but i'm loving the game so far.

The difficulty can be brutal at times, but if you save often i don't think you have to worry.
To its last day, this month keeps delivering >.<

Ooh, I thought the game was going to be 40-50 euros. Surpised to see it reasonably priced, so I bought it. Also, I chuckled for a good thirty seconds at the thread title. So good.

Jisgsaw

I find Minotaur to be easier than Medusa, that bitch criticals and smirks all day long.

For me it was Minotaure: in 8 battles, he got everytime a crit on is first turn, meaning he simply destroyed me.
That's why both of these Boss battles aren't that great: both on them only depend on luck, as they rely heavily on phys attacks that you can't block yet, and have a huge chance of getting crits with smirks. Once they get one, you're dead, whatever your team.

gngf123

For me it was Minotaure: in 8 battles, he got everytime a crit on is first turn, meaning he simply destroyed me.
That's why both of these Boss battles aren't that great: both on them only depend on luck, as they rely heavily on phys attacks that you can't block yet, and have a huge chance of getting crits with smirks. Once they get one, you're dead, whatever your team.

In Medusa's case, she mostly uses gun and electric attacks that you can block at that point. Especially if you are level 16 as you get access to some good demons.

She wasn't too bad with the right preparation. Minotaur was worse imo.

Xhorder

It's a fusion accident. The chances of it happening are pretty rare (1/64) but increase if one of the demons being fused is dead or is from the Foul family of demons.

Fusion accidents occur randomly, but also only rarely. The best way to avoid them is to save before fusing to make sure you get what you want. At the same time, though, certain demons (as with Famed types) can only be created through fusion accidents.

Also, what ramyeon said.

Yeah, I had this happen once on Devil Survivor (still need to continue that one too), but I thought it was supposed to happen for some reason since this was my first fusion. I guess I was pretty 'lucky' then. :) I kept the demon, since he seems pretty useful and harder to get than the one I was supposed to get.

Shengar

Just saw this OT, and I want to say that the title is perfect
Anyway, good for Eurofolks finally able to play this gem of a game though! Best of luck to you all.

Sadist

So uh, Medusa; she's pretty tough. I know she's weak to force (my mc has zan + 2 and I have a Suparna in my party with a force spell) but I don't know how to counter her multiple attacks. What's the best strategy?

omlet

I beat her by arranging my party to have 4 members with force skills so I could hit her 8 times on the first turn, take some nasty hits on her first turn, then finish her off. It was easy once I knew what weakness to exploit. Three tries I think, one to find her weakness, one with bad luck, one more to win.

Majmun

This game...

I already clocked in almost 12 hours. In just two days.
iw3w51wbVRxPT.gif

Killed Medusa. Currently exploring
Tokyo

God, the music is so awesome. This game has sucked me in completely.

Santiako

This fucking minotaur. Smirks all over the place.

EDIT: Fifth time is the charm, I had to buy a demon with Bufu so I could do Bufu, Bufu, Bufu, Media every turn. worked ok

I've beaten Minotaur and Medusa. So far I've really liked their designs. Especially Minotaur's.
I found Medusa harder because I wasn't paying attention and she smirked then I lost most of my party.

Really loving it. The game is fun. Currently
running around Tokyo in a Black Demonica

R.I.P

Might have gotten lucky but I beat Minotaur on first try, just kept spamming bufu and he went down easily :p

On the other hand just got my ass handed to me by Medusa though I came in unprepared, guess I'll have to fuse some new demons. Also need to go back and try to beat
David
again.

Kensuke

So, which ending route do you guys recommend? Sidenote: I'm a completionist, so I want to do everything I can in the game.

Jisgsaw

So, which ending route do you guys recommend? Sidenote: I'm a completionist, so I want to do everything I can in the game.

If you want to do everything, you'll have to do three playthrough as each route has exclusive content.
To unlock most of the things in one playthrough, you'll have to go neutral... which is quite hard without a walkthrough.
Edit: I think law has less exclusive content than Chaos. Neutral has only one exclusive quest I think (quest spoiler:
you can only complete the "unlock every terminal" quest in Neutral
) , but has a bit exclusive content from both Chaos and Law.

ramyeon

I suggest that first time around you just play it blind. Answer questions how you think appropriate and see what you get. After that the second time around in New Game+ you can use a guide to get the other endings you didn't get the first time.

Kensuke

If you want to do everything, you'll have to do three playthrough as each route has exclusive content.
To unlock most of the things in one playthrough, you'll have to go neutral... which is quite hard without a walkthrough.
Edit: I think law has less exclusive content than Chaos. Neutral has only one exclusive quest I think (quest spoiler:
you can only complete the "unlock every terminal" quest in Neutral
) , but has a bit exclusive content from both Chaos and Law.

All right, thanks for the info. I don't really want to play it with a walkthrough next to me, so I guess I'll do what ramyeon suggests and go blind.

I suggest that first time around you just play it blind. Answer questions how you think appropriate and see what you get. After that the second time around in New Game+ you can use a guide to get the other endings you didn't get the first time.

How does NG+ work? You keep level, items and demons? Can you up the difficulty?

Shiina

How does NG+ work? You keep level, items and demons? Can you up the difficulty?

Here's an excerpt from the MT wiki:

There are two different type of New Game Plus - "New Life", and "Reincarnation". With "New Life," Flynn is reset to his base stats at level 1, with no items, equipment, or macca carried over, only the minimum which will always carry over is listed. "Reincarnation" includes everything listed under "New Life" plus stats, equipment, macca, and app points. All naming events occur normally during each cycle, allowing the player to change any previously entered names if desired, with the previous entry being the default.

New Life - Reset to level 1

Compendium Info, including all unlocked demons (the first time Cathedral of Shadows is run, Mido will list all unlocked demons)
Play Log Information
DDS (Streetpass) Card with Demon attached
The Applications Skill Expansion 1-4 and Demon Skill +1-4 are permanent after purchase and will always be active
"Master" (Hard) difficulty unlocked
Fusion Booster X App unlocked (requires Fusion Booster 1-7; removes fusion level limit entirely)
Challenge Quests specific to NG+ are available, provided their other prerequisites are met
File gains a "Cycle" tab underneath "Place" and "Play Time," which increases by 1 with each NG+
File gains
Four
diamond-shaped slots next to "Level," which are filled to indicate which endings the player has achieved.
1: Orange - Nihilist/Bad, 2: Blue - Law, 3: White - Neutral, 4: Red - Chaos.

Reincarnation - Continue with everything

Flynn's current Level, Stats, and Skills
All Consumable Items (no Relics, Key Items, or Delivery Quest Items)
All Weapons, Armor, and Accessories
All Macca carried
All Applications are deactivated and spent App Points are refunded (excluding Skill Expansion and Demon Skill+ apps, which stay active), any unused points roll over into the new pool. Apps must be purchased again as they become available through the story.

Santiako

What is this chaos/neutral/law thing you are talking about? Are there different game routes depending on your choices? Are those choices in specific big moments of the game or does it depend on all your dialogue choices?

Shiina

What is this chaos/neutral/law thing you are talking about? Are there different game routes depending on your choices? Are those choices in specific big moments of the game or does it depend on all your dialogue choices?

Almost every choice adds points to your (hidden) chaos or law score. If you're +8 you will get locked into the law path at some point (almost at the end of the game) and if you're -8 you will get locked into chaos. Everything between that is neutral and you will get locked into the neutral route. Which answer is which is also very obvious in SMT IV.

Santiako

Almost every choice adds points to your (hidden) chaos or law score. If you're +8 you will get locked into the law path at some point (almost at the end of the game) and if you're -8 you will get locked into chaos. Everything between that is neutral and you will get locked into the neutral route. Which answer is which is also very obvious in SMT IV.

Ah, thanks. I'll just play naturally without aiming for a specific alignment the first time then.

HomesIice

This game...

I already clocked in almost 12 hours. In just two days.
iw3w51wbVRxPT.gif

Killed Medusa. Currently exploring
Tokyo

God, the music is so awesome. This game has sucked me in completely.

sis i think i clocked up 6 just by trying to find that damn green moss smh

gngf123

Just took down
Erikonig
. Level 24, just starting to explore
Shinjuku

Going to leave it for tonight I think. 2:40am...

Santiako

Boom! Medusa down on my first try! Lucked out that Jonathan used Zan so I saw that she was weak to it. After that, it was a matter of spaming force attacks.

Am I underleveled (lvl 14) for Medusa? She's tearing me apart.

I was that level, just spam force attacks and keep yourself healed.

Jisgsaw

Just reached
Tokyo
. How far in % of the game I am ? I love it, I hope I have 95% left :)

Depends on how much side stuff you do. I'd say around 10 to 15%.
I clocked in my first playthrough at around 65 hours iirc, but I did a lot of side stuff (actually almost everything aside fiend encounters & full compendium completion), and spend hours fusing (13 hours according to the play log).

Just beat Medusa and was surprised by how easy it was. As long as you don't have anyone weak to electricity (or better yet, go in with demons that absorb or null it) and keep spaming zan, you should win the fight easily. I'm lv 14 which is normal at this point in the game.
Didn't beat her on my first try because the fight happens without warning and everyone was pretty much out of mp when I got there.

Probably been said before, but first time Megaten'ers should keep in mind that level is generally less important than skills selection, demons and their skills, and in this game your equipment for the right resistances. SMT4 is easier than most (once you get out of the initial surprisingly tough hump) but it's still useful to keep this in mind so you can keep an eye on your options available.

The Murmur system gives you access to a ridiculous amount of power, so look out for moves that you think would be useful to always have on tap with your MC.

Probably been said before, but first time Megaten'ers should keep in mind that level is generally less important than skills selection, demons and their skills, and in this game your equipment for the right resistances. SMT4 is easier than most (once you get out of the initial surprisingly tough hump) but it's still useful to keep this in mind so you can keep an eye on your options available.

The Murmur system gives you access to a ridiculous amount of power, so look out for moves that you think would be useful to always have on tap with your MC.

Yeah, the demon whisper surprised me, it allows you to put pretty much anything on the MC. I had spells of all 4 elements + dia on the MC before going to the second dungeon.
Quite the contrast coming from Soul Hackers where the MC only has normal attack and gun for the entire game.
There's also an app that allows you to fuse demons above your level. There are many tools that make things easier for the player compared to other SMTs.
Hell, the MC can even die during fights.

BTW, was anyone foolish enough to
stare
at Medusa? What happens? It's obvious, but can anyone confirm?

Fritz

I just passed the cut scene where you enter the
unclean ones' country
so passed Minotaur but haven't encountered that Medusa everybody is talking about. Some thoughts:

Presentation is top notch during gameplay. I don't mind the 2D battles at all. But cut scenes should have been animated properly either in CG or drawn. The flash animation doesn't doe the quality of the overall game justice. Another thing would be the design of the castle and the city. It's very bland and it's super boring clicking through the screens. Thank god it doesn't take too much of the overall gameplay. Also I do miss (more) Kaneko.

I love the story but that is what SMT has always done better then other JRPGs imho.

I also dig the gauntlet as a one for all device. It's really cool and convenient.

Music is godly!!!!

R.I.P

Finally made it to
Tokyo
earlier today, really loving the post-apocalyptic/cyberpunk aesthetic.

Medusa took me a few tries as she refused to use zionga on the two demons I had that would null/absord the attack and kept spamming the physical attack that hits everyone. When I finally won she frequently used zionga on those demons plus I sukukaja'd the fuck out of my party so her physical attacks missed quite frequently.

Ok i'm downloading this now, can anyone provide me with some useful starting information, only played persona 3/4 so i have no idea what gun skills are etc.

Music is godly!!!!

Can not be said enough. I was worried about this aspect since Meguro didn't do the main compositions. I know this series hasn't always been Meguro (Persona 2 and Devil Survivor 2 had wonderful OSTs) but it's still always a bit of a worry when it goes to someone fresh. But man, Ryota Koduka, Kenichi Tsuchiya, and Toshiki Konishi all really friggen delivered on this. So many good tracks, in battle and when roaming around.

Ok i'm downloading this now, can anyone provide me with some useful starting information, only played persona 3/4 so i have no idea what gun skills are etc.

Guns and their skills are just an alternate version of physical damage, kind of like strike/pierce/slash in Persona 3. You'll eventually gain access to guns (and different bullets with different effects) so you'll always have access to gun skills.

If you've played Persona 3 and 4, a lot of your knowledge should cross over, except the way easy fusion mechanics should make demon customization ridiculously simple. You're mainly going to want to pay attention to how the press turn system works. Crit or hit weaknesses will earn bonus turns, and missing or hitting a null element will make you lose turns. Hitting absorbs or reflects will end the turn right there.

Also hitting a weakness or getting null hit will cause the Smirk status which buffs the character up until they go again. Smirks skyrocket the crit rate, increase general damage (max tarukaja iirc), raises your evasion, and removes your weaknesses. A smirk in the right place for you can turn the tide sometimes (or more often put you in a bad spot if the enemy gets it), so be careful about it happening.

Guns and their skills are just an alternate version of physical damage, kind of like strike/pierce/slash in Persona 3. You'll eventually gain access to guns (and different bullets with different effects) so you'll always have access to gun skills.

If you've played Persona 3 and 4, a lot of your knowledge should cross over, except the way easy fusion mechanics should make demon customization ridiculously simple. You're mainly going to want to pay attention to how the press turn system works. Crit or hit weaknesses will earn bonus turns, and missing or hitting a null element will make you lose turns. Hitting absorbs or reflects will end the turn right there.

Also hitting a weakness or getting null hit will cause the Smirk status which buffs the character up until they go again. Smirks skyrocket the crit rate, increase general damage (max tarukaja iirc), raises your evasion, and removes your weaknesses. A smirk in the right place for you can turn the tide sometimes (or more often put you in a bad spot if the enemy gets it), so be careful about it happening.

Thanks this pretty much clears up what i was confused about!

danthefan

Is there any particularly good way to distribute your skill points (i.e. the ones you get from levelling)? Or can I just go with whatever. Basically I don't want to end up with something broken, not to worried about min/maxing.

Top Bottom