• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |EU OT| Atlus Shrugged

Jisgsaw

Is there any particularly good way to distribute your skill points (i.e. the ones you get from levelling)? Or can I just go with whatever. Basically I don't want to end up with something broken, not to worried about min/maxing.

Well, most builds end up broken. Borken good that is.
Just avoid Strength, and do not put points in both Dexterity and magic (choose if you want to have a physical build or magic build), and you'll be fine.

danthefan

Well, most builds end up broken. Borken good that is.
Just avoid Strength, and do not put points in both Dexterity and magic (choose if you want to have a physical build or magic build), and you'll be fine.

Avoid strength? Crap, have a few points in there already. Thanks anyway.

Holy shit, the
David
fight is hard. Didn't see it coming either. The only way of me winning that fight is basically by praying that
David
doesn't use blight too often.

edit: And got him. Oh god this game so good. There's nothing quite like SMT.

Jisgsaw

Avoid strength? Crap, have a few points in there already. Thanks anyway.

Strength only really matters for your regular sword attack. For physical skils, Dexterity has more influence.
No worries for a few points, you get enough of them (as long as you don't already have like 40 points in it). End game, your "strongest" stat will be over 200, so 10 or 20 points don't matter that much. And strength isn't completely useless anyway, it just has less influence than dexterity.

Joqu

I didn't have any trouble with Minotaur or Medusa but Xi Wangmu? Wipes out my entire party with a single Maziodyne or Megaton Press and my party consists of ~ lvl 30 demons with medium force attacks. Jeez.

I guess I need some zio repellers? Or just hope Megaton Press misses enough?

B_Signal

I just did a side quest involving a coffin, God damn it was had work. Not helped that I spent 10 minutes going the wrong way

Fritz

And NOW I encountered Medusa. *smirk*

dead2.gif

Soulhouf

Can not be said enough. I was worried about this aspect since Meguro didn't do the main compositions. I know this series hasn't always been Meguro (Persona 2 and Devil Survivor 2 had wonderful OSTs) but it's still always a bit of a worry when it goes to someone fresh. But man, Ryota Koduka, Kenichi Tsuchiya, and Toshiki Konishi all really friggen delivered on this. So many good tracks, in battle and when roaming around.

Kenichi Tsuchiya is the series veteran and Masuko's successor in a way.
He is the sound director and it's thanks to him that the over all music sounds so coherent and faithful to the series. He also occasionally compose some tracks and they are all godly.
Every time you see his name you can make sure that the soundtrack will be awesome.

Nimby

Banned
I didn't have any trouble with Minotaur or Medusa but Xi Wangmu? Wipes out my entire party with a single Maziodyne or Megaton Press and my party consists of ~ lvl 30 demons with medium force attacks. Jeez.

I guess I need some zio repellers? Or just hope Megaton Press misses enough?

You are buffing/debuffing right? Yeah, some null elec users would come in handy.

lol never played an mainline smt game, so these demon conversations are killing me

Conversations in this game are no where near as horrible as in Strange Journey. Stuck up demons won't talk to you after making them mad >_>

Joqu

You are buffing/debuffing right? Yeah, some null elec users would come in handy.

I'm buffing but I don't have any decent debuffers on me. Guess I should get on that too, that Orchid Guardian buff of hers can't be helping.

krossj

I'm enjoying the game a whole lot so far but it does feel a lot less involved than say Strange Journey at the moment. Perhaps i've just not encountered enough demons yet, part of the fun is figuring out what certain demons can throw at you before finding the weakness.

Minotaur was second try for me. Going to jump back in later tonight and make some decent progress.

Soulhouf

I'm buffing but I don't have any decent debuffers on me. Guess I should get on that too, that Orchid Guardian buff of hers can't be helping.

Don't underestimate Dekunda!
If you can't debuff her, at least you can cancel her buff in one go. Check your inventory, you should have some Dekunda stones.

Lernaean

Banned
Finally got to
Ueno
, I'm so happy right now. Saved and will continue tomorrow.
About the two previous bosses, I died twice on
Minotaur
, and
Medusa
was a piece of cake, dead in 2 rounds. So yeah,
Mino
was harder imo.

Joqu

Don't underestimate Dekunda!
If you can't debuff her, at least you can cancel her buff in one go. Check your inventory, you should have some Dekunda stones.

Thanks. I completely forgot I had those but that and some elec immune demons did the trick.

MLH

I heard people saying that they wanted SMT to go back to the large scale of SMT III Nocturne, well this is the game they are looking for.

I'm currently in Shinjuku Station and I'm lost under the amount of requests and smaller streets to explore, I can't help but feel I've missed areas/ relics when pushing forward in the main story.

Earlier I came across a demon's domain on the main map so I decied to explore, the enemies inside were quite a bit stronger than me but I got through okay, then I reached the boss (
Grendel
I think) - he handed my arse to me, I decided to avoid that area and continue exploring, taking me to my current location, Shinjuku Station.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'm in love with this game. Likely ending up #2 in my GOTY ranking.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
BTW At what level should I fusion my demons? Should I let them level up like 5 times then fuse them?

lol, thanks.

I think the best strategy is to fuse them when they learned all skills and gave you the skill boost/new skills to learn.

Toma

Oh so that's a point during leveling up a demon when they do that? Thanks for the info guys.

Yes, when they learn their last skill.

saturnine

Where is one supposed to find
the demon you have to kill in Ueno? I already looked around the Shinobazu pond and I can't find him. I don't want to disappoint the ghost ponies.

Soulhouf

Where is one supposed to find
the demon you have to kill in Ueno? I already looked around the Shinobazu pond and I can't find him. I don't want to disappoint the ghost ponies.

Here it is:

It's true that his location is not obvious at all.

Edit: beaten.

By the way, I realize how good the level design is. The shortcuts in Ueno in particular are so cleverly designed. I was able to go there from Shinjuku in a few seconds.

I just used a ton of app points on demon augment. I hope this gets me some good skills.

I just beat
the demon in the goverment building? The one after the corpse side quest/Dullahan. May I add the Dullahan design is fucking awesome?
I'm just doing side quests because
the Tokyo map is a fucking mess to navigate. It's really dark.

Here it is:

I found that by chance, I was just exploring. It's not exactly obvious.

Ultratech

Is there any way to learn skills like Counter or Resist Element when the Personas whisper their skills to you?

I forget, but I don't think you can learn passive skills like that.

You're pretty much limited to offensive/support skills with a few exceptions (like Bad Company).

Basically, if the skill is a passive effect, the MC can't learn it.

saturnine

Here it is:
I found that by chance, I was just exploring. It's not exactly obvious.
I brushed off the guy that asked where I was coming from the first time I arrived in Ueno and went on to explore the whole area. By the time I realized he may have been an event flag I had totally forgotten that small stall. Cue the walking around in confusion.

So, the
Competition for Blood
quest didn't drop a
power cable
for me. Where can I get one? Online guides just refer to that quest.

ramyeon

So, the
Competition for Blood
quest didn't drop a
power cable
for me. Where can I get one? Online guides just refer to that quest.
Can't check at the moment but I believe you can submit that quest over and over again as you get the materials again. It gives a random "everyday item" I think.

dani_dc

Still pretty early in the game (looking for Navarre), am I the only one that just reloads the save at game over (even if that save is 20+ minutes away)?

I'm not used to this whole SMT game with reload at death.

And I see that strength build isn't recommended?
Bah. Well only 23 points into it or so, so shouldn't be an issue.

artsi

Still pretty early in the game (looking for Navarre), am I the only one that just reloads the save at game over (even if that save is 20+ minutes away)?

I'm not used to this whole SMT game with reload at death.

I'm always reloading, the macca cost is just too high.

dani_dc

I'm always reloading, the macca cost is just too high.

The cost (at least so far) isn't too bad, it just feels wrong.
I do hate the huge lengthy scene when you die, just let me skip over it. I'm tempted to resurrect once to avoid it next times I die (I assume it goes away in the future?).

Majmun

I'm getting a hang of this demon recruit thing. Once the demon asks for stuff, give it one or two items (a bit of macca or a life stone if they ask for it, refuse everything else) and then end the conversation.

Maybe I'm lucky, but most of the time the demon will say that they've had enough stuff and accept to join the party.

But there are also some asshole demons that just take off with my macca or items lol.

Nimby

Banned
Is there any way to learn skills like Counter or Resist Element when the Personas whisper their skills to you?

I can imagine a purist stroking out over this.

But idts, Resist/Nulls/etc. cannot be learned by the protagonist, only transferred through armor. I thought you could learn Counter/Retaliate, and don't see a reason why you shouldn't be able too, but I also never thought of equipping it to the protag.

@dani_dc I have resulted to just quitting out instead of sitting through that bollocks. I don't know if it is *faster* but it feels like it.

omlet

If you press X, you skip to the dialogue. It's not ideal, but the cutscene before the dialogue is the lengthiest part.

That's why I just instantly restart the game any time I die. Faster than sitting through that cutscene. I watched the whole thing the first time I died and was like... screw watching this just to get to the pay-or-game-over screen, I'll just restart and load.

That's why I just instantly restart the game any time I die. Faster than sitting through that cutscene. I watched the whole thing the first time I died and was like... screw watching this just to get to the pay-or-game-over screen, I'll just restart and load.

Yeah, even if you hold X it still takes way too long to get through. After the first time it should just skip straight to the choice or even allow you to skip straight to the title screen with a single button press. Really bad design here.

Top Bottom