• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |EU OT| Atlus Shrugged

aravuus

Used the EXP DLC to gain one level to get Demonlingual and I already feel guilty lol.

I may or may not have accidentally grinded a... Couple of more levels in the DLC area lol

I couldn't help myself. When the app that regenerates the whole party's MP while walking was unlocked and it was 70 points, I got so excited that before I even noticed, I was 7 levels higher than what I was a couple of minutes ago. Now I'm steamrolling everything lol.

I'm a sucker for anything that regens my mana in RPGs. I love being able to spam magic and skills. The app is fucking awesome.

ramyeon

I am getting destroyed. I've used like 70 play coins in revivals. I think I should seek some online guidance as to how not be terrible.
To start with save more often instead of paying those coins.

Speaking of dying, had my third death just now. First one since the tutorial stages. It was a routine overworld battle that I owned but then suddenly reinforcement demons appeared. Two harpies and they had the initiative thanks to the RNG. They both did mazan which hit a weakness in my party, both got smirk and then proceeded to wipe out my entire party.

Nothing I really could have done to anticipate or stop it. I hadn't saved for awhile and the price to resurrect was 12000 macca or something crazy. No thanks lol.

gngf123

Minotaur was pretty tough. Took him down on my third attempt. Damn smirks.

I really wish the other samurai were less pathetic. They barely help at all. If I could give them a vague instruction of what I wanted them to do that'd be great.

So I'm at Medusa and loving the game, the music, the atmosphere, the combat...

Any tip to defeat her ?

Thx :)

PS : I recommend MAG build,d right now it's easy mode.

Each lvl up : 3 MAG, 1 agi, 1 luck.

ramyeon

Minotaur was pretty tough. Took him down on my third attempt. Damn smirks.

I really wish the other samurai were less pathetic. They barely help at all.
I feel like if they were any more useful the game would be way too easy.

Edit: Even though I have better armour now I can't stop using the Black Demonica because of how badass it looks.

To start with save more often instead of paying those coins.

Speaking of dying, had my third death just now. First one since the tutorial stages. It was a routine overworld battle that I owned but then suddenly reinforcement demons appeared. Two harpies and they had the initiative thanks to the RNG. They both did mazan which hit a weakness in my party, both got smirk and then proceeded to wipe out my entire party.

Nothing I really could have done to anticipate or stop it. I hadn't saved for awhile and the price to resurrect was 12000 macca or something crazy. No thanks lol.

I always reload since I save quite often, having to always skip through that conversation with Charon before getting to the title screen is annoying.

Fritz

Fantastic game. Can someone give me a quick beginners guide to the demon fusion? What am I looking for? Should I fuse at every opportunity or does it make sense to level the demons before I fuse them? Do I want the standard rpg set of healer, element 1, 2, 3 etc? Thanks!

Jisgsaw

Fantastic game. Can someone give me a quick beginners guide to the demon fusion? What am I looking for? Should I fuse at every opportunity or does it make sense to level the demons before I fuse them? Do I want the standard rpg set of healer, element 1, 2, 3 etc? Thanks!

I'll start with the last question, as that inpacts the other responses:
Yes, you more or less want a somewhat standard set. It's good though to have each demon have a secondary job/element, which is possible as you have 8 skillslots. Don't forget the buffer job though.

So, what are you looking for? First and foremost, you have to keep in check the affinities of your demon roster (e.g. never ever have a whole party weak to Light or phys). This is because of the press turn system, which will destroy you if you don't keep that in check, and help you a lot if you do.
With the same idea, you'll always want to have every element spells available in your party. Ideally, your spell caster should have at least two or three different elements available (it's easy to get with the new fusion system).
All demons in the game are in one of three categories: MP type, HP type, balanced type. The latter one is the standard values for HP and MP (something like double HP vs MP I think). The MP type have more MP but less HP (they get roughly equal), the HP type have more HP but less MP. Depending on the job you want to give the demon, you have to choose the correct type. Note that the MP types are very frail, so you should either have to get them HP-boosting passive skills, or switch to a blanced type for your casters.

Aside from that, you have to keep in check the skill the demon has innately, and what the fusion fodders will give them.
Edit: and of wourse the stats of the demon. No need to make a balanced type demon with low Mag a magic caster.

And lastly, when tu fuse? Pretty easy: when you get the feely your demon is getting weak, or if fusing it will get you a new powerfull skill or strong demon.
Edit: and if a demon has a skill you want to get on your MC, or you already have but not maxed out, definitevely wait for the demon to learn all his skills before fusing him, to get him to whisper the skill to your MC.

Fritz

I'll start with the last question, as that inpacts the other responses:
Yes, you more or less want a somewhat standard set. It's good though to have each demon have a secondary job/element, which is possible as you have 8 skillslots. Don't forget the buffer job though.

So, what are you looking for? First and foremost, you have to keep in check the affinities of your demon roster (e.g. never ever have a whole party weak to Light or phys). This is because of the press turn system, which will destroy you if you don't keep that in check, and help you a lot if you do.
With the same idea, you'll always want to have every element spells available in your party. Ideally, your spell caster should have at least two or three different elements available (it's easy to get with the new fusion system).
All demons in the game are in one of three categories: MP type, HP type, balanced type. The latter one is the standard values for HP and MP (something like double HP vs MP I think). The MP type have more MP but less HP (they get roughly equal), the HP type have more HP but less MP. Depending on the job you want to give the demon, you have to choose the correct type. Note that the MP types are very frail, so you should either have to get them HP-boosting passive skills, or switch to a blanced type for your casters.

Aside from that, you have to keep in check the skill the demon has innately, and what the fusion fodders will give them.

And lastly, when tu fuse? Pretty easy: when you get the feely your demon is getting weak, or if fusing it will get you a new powerfull skill or strong demon.
Edit: and if a demon has a skill you want to get on your MC, or you already have but not maxed out, definitevely wait for the demon to learn all his skills before fusing him, to get him to whisper the skill to your MC.

Thanks heaps, that will give me a good deal of orientation. I can feel I will so sink my teeth into this game.

Nakho

Most demons have to get to a certain level to get their last skill, which is usually their best. Also, when they get to this level, they can whisper skills to the MC, meaning you can transfer any of their skill to the MC and improve some skills like Zan, Zio, etc, if both the MC and the demon have it. Bottom line: you should consult that site, erikku something, to know what is this level for the demon you have, get him to that level, transfer his skills to the MC, save him in the compendium and fuse him away.

Santiako

I'm only 1h30 in, but loving the game so far. Just got the fusion app and I can already tell that I'll spend hours just getting demons and fusing them :p

moozoom

I was prepared for a hard time, but the game kicks my ass. Fourth death so far and I've only recruited one demon. (2nd quest of the tutorial) I'm trying to recruit demons but so far, they spawned in groups of 2 and they kill me in one round before I can even talk to them. Ouch.

I guess I will lower the difficulty then. Etrian odyssey is much, much easier than this !

Jisgsaw

I was prepared for a hard time, but the game kicks my ass. Fourth death so far and I've only recruited one demon. (2nd quest of the tutorial) I'm trying to recruit demons but so far, they spawned in groups of 2 and they kill me in one round before I can even talk to them. Ouch.

I guess I will lower the difficulty then. Etrian odyssey is much, much easier than this !

As every one keeps saying: the tutorial is the hardest part of the game. The later half of the game I would even consider very easy.
This inverted difficulty curve is one of the only realy big flaw of the game.

Lusankya

Flynn: "Hi demon, do you want to join me?"
Demon: "Dunno, do you like me?"
F: "Yes./No./Maybe."
(No matter the answer) D: "F U!"
D: "Give me all your monnies and maybe I'll join you."
Give him money.
D: "Give me all your items and maybe I'll join you."
Give him all your items.
D: "Give me all your life power and maybe I'll join you."
Lose HP
D: "Ok, I'll join you. Nah, just kidding!"
Steals your turn and wipes out your party.

:(

Any way for me to do negotiations (or scouting) in a "correct way"? Or is it just random and I should save after every fight?

gngf123

Give him money.
Give him all your items.
Lose HP

Any way for me to do negotiations in a "correct way"? Or is it just random and I should save after every fight?

Only negotiate 3-4 times before ending talks, and don't be afraid to say no if you feel they are asking for too much macca or a rare item.

Keep in mind different demons will respond well to different kinds of answers. Kindness isn't the only option.

I feel like if they were any more useful the game would be way too easy.

Edit: Even though I have better armour now I can't stop using the Black Demonica because of how badass it looks.

Yeah sure, but it's not like they wouldn't be able to change things to compensate for it. It's just a bit silly when you are doing well and just hoping Walter doesn't fuck up by throwing out attacks that are going to get blocked.

Thoraxes

Give him money.
Give him all your items.
Lose HP

Any way for me to do negotiations in a "correct way"? Or is it just random and I should save after every fight?

Each demon is different and has a different personality. Maybe intimidation is a better route, or maybe you beat them within an inch of their life then try to negotiate.

Sometimes they take advantage of you being too nice. I usually gave them what they wanted once or twice, but then cut them off. Sometimes they'll even say they respect you for having the balls to stop, or get complacent with what they have and decide to join you.

Also having demons in your party that are the same as the ones you encounter will allow you skip the encounters and sometimes get items/macca/healing. "Oh hey, I see my buddy is there with you. Use this and be sure to take care of 'em!" or something of the like.

ramyeon

Yeah sure, but it's not like they wouldn't be able to change things to compensate for it. It's just a bit silly when you are doing well and just hoping Walter doesn't fuck up by throwing out attacks that are going to get blocked.
Huh? Even if they do that it doesn't affect your press turns since they always attack after all your press turns are done. There aren't any negative effects placed on your for them using the wrong attack (Unless the demon absorbs that type of attack but I've never seen them make that mistake).
Each demon is different and has a different personality. Maybe intimidation is a better route, or maybe you beat them within an inch of their life then try to negotiate.

Sometimes they take advantage of you being too nice. I usually gave them what they wanted once or twice, but then cut them off. Sometimes they'll even say they respect you for having the balls to stop, or get complacent with what they have and decide to join you.

Also having demons in your party that are the same as the ones you encounter will allow you skip the encounters and sometimes get gifts/macca. "Oh hey, I see my buddy is there with you. Use this and be sure to take care of 'em!" or something of the like.
This. There are also some types of demons that will always make off with your stuff if you give it to them. In those cases refusing is the only option and they'll join you for outright refusing their requests.

Thoraxes

But it affects a boss getting a smirk status *looks at
Minotaur

You know, I didn't even mind doing that fight a bunch of times because his design was so damn cool when I realized how the head and nostrils worked. It did piss me off when it happened though lol. I love the comics that resulted because of that fight.

That, the music, and the oppressive nature of that area were just so cool.

Soulhouf

Give him money.
Give him all your items.
Lose HP

Any way for me to do negotiations (or scouting) in a "correct way"? Or is it just random and I should save after every fight?

In addition to what the others said, to make negotiation easier, always kill all the enemies but the one you want to recruit before talking to them.

danthefan

I know people are saying it gets easier but the early difficulty level here is absurd. I've just been one shotted trying to recruit my three demons, what am I supposed to do about that ffs?

Shiina

I know people are saying it gets easier but the early difficulty level here is absurd. I've just been one shotted trying to recruit my three demons, what am I supposed to do about that ffs?

Try to only initiate a negotiation when there is only one demon on the field so you don't get killed if it goes wrong. That pink fairy demon with the wings is a great demon to pick up at the start because she knows Dia (a healing spell).
A good tactic to go about recruiting her would be managing your press turns in a way that lets you attack once and then initiating the negotiation in the same turn so if it does go wrong she's likely to waste her turn healing herself instead of attacking you.
Getting those three is pretty tough, I remember dying a bunch of times at the beginning.

Korigama

Any tip to defeat her ?

Lots of
Zan skills.
Do not use
Zio skills.
As for the questions she'll ask,
change it up by humoring her with a compliment for the first answer, but then troll her by only meeting her halfway with the second one.

First demon you get in the negotiation tutorial levelled up once, learnt Needle Shot which then morphed into Spring of Life. Should be handy early on!

danthefan

Try to only initiate a negotiation when there is only one demon on the field so you don't get killed if it goes wrong. That pink fairy demon with the wings is a great demon to pick up at the start because she knows Dia (a healing spell).
A good tactic to go about recruiting her would be managing your press turns in a way that lets you attack once and then initiating the negotiation in the same turn so if it does go wrong she's likely to waste her turn healing herself instead of attacking you.
Getting those three is pretty tough, I remember dying a bunch of times at the beginning.

Thanks for the tips, have found that demon you're talking about but I either die instantly or she just trolls me and leaves.

Seriously what were they thinking here?

Xhorder

I did my first demon fusion, but it seems something went wrong during the fusion and I ended up with another demon than the one I was supposed to get (instead of a vampire like demon I got a demon that looks like a bat). Is there a small chance this happens for every fusion or does this happen to every first fusion in the game?

ramyeon

I did my first demon fusion, but it seems something went wrong during the fusion and I ended up with another demon than the one I was supposed to get (instead of a vampire like demon I got a demon that looks like a bat). Is there a small chance this happens for every fusion or does this happen to every first fusion in the game?
It's a fusion accident. The chances of it happening are pretty rare (1/64) but increase if one of the demons being fused is dead or is from the Foul family of demons.

Korigama

Fusion accidents occur randomly, but also only rarely. The best way to avoid them is to save before fusing to make sure you get what you want. At the same time, though, certain demons (as with Famed types) can only be created through fusion accidents.

Also, what ramyeon said.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Even though I've just downloaded this, it somehow still doesn't seem real.

I'm currently trying to finish Danganronpa 2 - I'm going to motor through it this weekend so I can get started on this game. I've waited so long, a few more days isn't going to kill me. At least I don't think it will.

wow, Medusa was the real bitch. Smirk + paralyze = crying_instruction.jpg (and what a cheap art design, first demon that felt kinda out of place)

One aspect that definitely makes things easier is the fact that you don't get a game over when the MC dies. Not only that but demons being able to learn the ability to use items, I don't have a demon with recarm yet but one of them can use items so it can revive the MC when he dies.

Got a demon just by answering the question correctly, wish that happened more often lol.

I can see how this could be pretty challenging for people new to the franchise.

danthefan

Praise the sun, finally got my three demons. Van actually fight and win battles now. If you couldn't save anywhere there's no way I'd stick with this game.

Nimby

Banned

Any tip to defeat her ?

Her weakness is Zan, so exploit that like no other. Also, try to find some demons that null or repel gun.
Zun Tun She is Lvl. 9 and nulls gun, Gu Huo Niao is Lvl. 16 and repels gun

ramyeon

Her weakness is Zan, so exploit that like no other. Also, try to find some demons that null or repel gun.
Zun Tun She is Lvl. 9 and nulls gun, Gu Huo Niao is Lvl. 16 and repels gun
Suparna was good for that fight too. Nulls elec, has Media and can inherit Zan.

Second dungeon already feels easier. I hit the weakness of an enemy with my first action and then turn on autobattle to finish of the rest, except for those mobs no fight takes more than 1 turn.
Just did my first special fusion.
I felt bad for
Issachar.

That magic of going into a new SMT game is just unique, the Souls games do give me a comparable feel though, the oppressive atmosphere combined with the difficulty just creates this mix of fascination and dread whenever you step into one of these worlds.
Another parallel I tend to draw in my mind is the "you against the world feel" both franchises tend to give, but SMTIV seems more story/dialogue heavy and you have other party members with you sometimes even helping out in battle, so it doesn't feel as oppressive as Nocturne, in that game you felt really isolated and with the odds against you. I'm looking forward to seeing how IV evolves in that regard but this is SMT after all so I can see where this is going when it comes to the other party members. Can't wait to see it all play out.

Sadist

Ha, first time facing off with Minotaur and I won.

Getting Bufula for my main character early on was a great move. Mothman with Rakunda on defense debuffs and using Agathions Lunge attack for a quick death. Not bad.

bobohoro

So after all the bitching and whining I did, I just purchased an E-shop card and will probably get the game tomorrow. But I prevailed a few days. Take that Atlus, I hope you learn something from it!

I feel dirty now. :(

The white dlc armor looks nice but that's a lot of life stones.

So after all the bitching and whining I did, I just purchased an E-shop card and will probably get the game tomorrow. But I prevailed a few days. Take that Atlus, I hope you learn something from it!

I feel dirty now. :(

You did the right thing. Nothing good will come from this release being a flop.

ramyeon

The white dlc armor looks nice but that's a lot of life stones.

You did the right thing. Nothing good will come from this release being a flop.
Not really. Life stones are a dime a dozen, they're probably the most common drop.

It's also still one of the best armor sets I have half way through the game.

Not really. Life stones are a dime a dozen, they're probably the most common drop.

It's also still one of the best armor sets I have half way through the game.

Yeah, I just realized that I have more than enough but I downloaded the dlc shortly after starting the game and at the time it seemed a lot.

Majmun

Bought the EXP dlc because I was curious.

You can sell the items for lots of macca as well. I feel so naughty now.

You guys weren't kidding about the Minotaur. On one of my attempts he used Oni-Kagura twice and then got a smirk using Labrys Strike. Nothing you can do but accept defeat.
Just exploit that ice weakness as much as you can and have demon with media.

Top Bottom