• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |EU OT| Atlus Shrugged

Jisgsaw

I think I'll restart with a Dex build. I read it's better late game.

What point allocation would you guys recommend for physical builds? 2 Dex, 1 Agi, 2 Luck per level up?

Yeah something like that is good enough. Mayvbe alternate 2/1/2 and 2/2/1 to have enough accuracy.
And unless you're already lvl15+, you don't need to restart, you get enough stat points.

Speaking of fusion can I really not fuse the old way in this? The recommended ones are nice and all that but having to go through fusion search whenever I want something else? I don't like that. :l

Yeah I'm not a fan of that system.
The search works great when you want something specific, but i really missed the normal fusion chart.

omlet

I already mentioned this but this cathedral is weird. I don't see a way to visualize a list of my current demons and just mess around with them like in every other SMT. I see the recommended fusions and then the search function and special fusions. Am I missing something here? I didn't have much time to mess around with it yet.

If you go to search and just press Y you will get ALL your possible fusions with your current demon stock. So the interface takes the "messing around with them" out and just automatically shows you all possible combinations. There's no guesswork of "what will this + this make" because the interface starts with the results and proceeds to the ingredients instead of the other way around. When you select a fusion result you can then see your options for fusing that demon. Often you will only have one way of fusing a particular demon with your current stock but sometimes you will have more than one way, in which case there will be a list of possible fusion routes and you can pick which demons to use for the fusion.

If you include compendium fusions you will get more options but will need to cough up the macca to re-summon demons you don't have in your stock, which is often prohibitively expensive.

tl;dr: mess around with it and you'll get the hang of it.

Joqu

Compared to Devil Survivor (most recent SMT I've played so it's freshest in memory), where you can review every summon combination ever, the interface in IV feels like a downgrade. On the other hand, because of the variety of demons and the relatively short time you actually use them compared to DS, I fuse new demons a lot more frequently. This game feels like it has more "fusion forward momentum" than a game like DS where you would use the same demon for a very long time due to its skillset vs the current suite of enemies at a stage of the game and unlike in DS I have not really felt a need to go back and fuse/re-fuse lower level demons (yet).

Right, it doesn't seem to be as big of a deal in SMTIV but I feel like we've had better fusion interfaces, which is a shame because the new options are pretty nice. In the past games I'd fuse a bunch of low level demons and THEN fuse those demons into something decent. I can still do that but it's way more of a hassle now. They really want you to go with the recommended ones.

And I gotta say the demon conversations are a bit of a letdown so far. The variety still seems to be there but the demons mostly tend to default to their item begging lines, pretty boring stuff.

Currently lvl 4 and enjoying the game very much. When it comes stats I always use 1 point for Str, 2 points for dex, 1 point for mag, 1 point for agi.

Will this bite me in the end? I don't know if I should upgrade luck.

And I can upgrade the app as well, but I'm currently saving points for something more worthwile to upgrade in the future.
From what I remember, stats are hardly relevant in this game, it's all about the demons in your team. I found it to be a really easy game (Etrian Odyssey is harder), except for a couple boss fights.

Soulhouf

Currently lvl 4 and enjoying the game very much. When it comes stats I always use 1 point for Str, 2 points for dex, 1 point for mag, 1 point for agi.

Will this bite me in the end? I don't know if I should upgrade luck.

And I can upgrade the app as well, but I'm currently saving points for something more worthwile to upgrade in the future.

Better decide between going magic or physical build but don't mix the 2.

aravuus

From what I remember, stats are hardly relevant in this game, it's all about the demons in your team. I found it to be a really easy game (Etrian Odyssey is harder), except for a couple boss fights.

Well, in the sense that grinding a couple of levels isn't going to make a hard boss fight much easier.

But later on, you're going to have a much easier time with a character that has 150 points in mag/dex rather than 50 in str, dex and mag

Really enjoying the game so far just beat the
Minotaur
boss which was a bit of a pain, finally beat it on the 4th try though thanks to some luck.

If you go to search and just press Y you will get ALL your possible fusions with your current demon stock. So the interface takes the "messing around with them" out and just automatically shows you all possible combinations. There's no guesswork of "what will this + this make" because the interface starts with the results and proceeds to the ingredients instead of the other way around. When you select a fusion result you can then see your options for fusing that demon. Often you will only have one way of fusing a particular demon with your current stock but sometimes you will have more than one way, in which case there will be a list of possible fusion routes and you can pick which demons to use for the fusion.

If you include compendium fusions you will get more options but will need to cough up the macca to re-summon demons you don't have in your stock, which is often prohibitively expensive.

tl;dr: mess around with it and you'll get the hang of it.

Yeah, had more time to check it out today and it works well. I'd rather have the traditional system though.
Equipment sure is expensive early in the game.
First time I used cheat it failed so I figured it had a low success rate but it's actually quite high.

Caladrius

Bladenic

Seriously, don't put a single point into strength. Ever. You should focus on either Dex or Mag (if you want to be physical or magic based), Agi, and some luck. I went magic build and wrecked the hell out of everything.

Shiina

^ to add to that: two very good demons that you can get fairly early on that are helpful if you have trouble with the game:

Dantalion (32) can be fused with Divine + Foul and I believe they can be recruited as well. Forgot the area but it's along the way.
Dantalion has Tetrakarn innate and learns Makarakarn very early on. They cost a lot of MP but can be pretty game breaking if you know a boss uses only physical or magical attacks. You can even cast both at the same time and then nothing but almighty will hurt you and enemies will forfeit all their turns as soon as they attack you.

King Frost (37) is a special fusion between Fairy Jack Frost (15), Genma Frost Ace (34) and Jaki Black Frost (31).
He learns Concentrate at level 38 which you can pass onto yourself. It increases your next magic attack's damage by 2.5 I believe. This is where I started one shotting bosses. Very devastating if you have a magic build and a couple buffs.

I've been killed in the first Naraku dungeon. The tutorial one.

Thrice.

Main SMT titles, I've missed you. *sob*

And thanks for the advice, Caladrius! This will come in handy.
LettersGAF being topGAF, as usual

gngf123

Man I really fucking hate Navarre.

Just entered some unknown area. Game is pretty good so far, although I think the interface could do with some improvement. Wish I had the old fusion interface back.

Looks like I'm building Ma/ag/lu.

Jisgsaw

I've been killed in the first Naraku dungeon. The tutorial one.

Thrice.

Main SMT titles, I've missed you. *sob*

Don't get used to it, the game becomes fairly easy further on.

Is a magic build really that powerfull? I always go with a phys build for my MC (traditionnally because their attacks cost HP, and not MP... which isn't the case anymore), and I'm in the middle of my NG+ cycle on hard, with again a phys build.
I don't know if I'll have it in me to start a third playthrough from scratch for a magic build.

aravuus

Not really liking the
Tokyo overworld/world map
. Ugly and messy and I dunno. The 3D areas aren't too much better. Am I gonna be around here for the rest of the game?

I'm going with magic.
Already have a spell of each element on my MC to exploit those weaknesses like a boss.
Can't wait to see where the story goes.

Caladrius

And thanks for the advice, Caladrius! This will come in handy.
LettersGAF being topGAF, as usual

No problem.
Indeed

Is a magic build really that powerfull? I always go with a phys build for my MC (traditionnally because their attacks cost HP, and not MP... which isn't the case anymore), and I'm in the middle of my NG+ cycle on hard, with again a phys build.
I don't know if I'll have it in me to start a third playthrough from scratch for a magic build.

Dex is ultimately even more powerful than Magic, but you have to be able to build your Luck and Dexterity stats sufficiently high in order for it to reach its full potential, which takes much longer than getting extremely strong magic power. (Magic users only need Magic and Agility as opposed to Phys users needing Dexterity, Agility and Luck, so even on a first run you can have obscenely strong offense at the end, for instance I had well over 200 MA and 120 Ag).

Dex is a perfectly viable option, and a great way to play the game, but Magic beats it out in convenience and flexibility by a long shot.

Not worth restarting over, though.

gngf123

Someone wanna explain the title to me?
I've read Atlus Shrugged but I haven't played SMT IV lol
This game is over a year late in Europe. The title references the book/film "Atlas Shrugged", while also pointing to how Atlus seemingly just couldn't care less about an EU release.

I'm a few hours in. I'm enjoying it so far. The music for one is really good and I'm glad I avoided the OST for over a year. It has got a fairly slow and boring start but that's just what a lot of RPGs can be like. I've had a few close calls but no deaths so far.

After playing Strange Journey
which I haven't finished because I'm fickle, I'm on sector F
I'm a bit disappointed. I just really like the concept of Demonicas and marines going into Schwarzwelt than some samurais with some hightech gauntlet. But it's way too early to judge anything so far.

Caladrius

I
After playing Strange Journey
which I haven't finished because I'm fickle, I'm on sector F
I'm a bit disappointed. I just really like the concept of Demonicas and marines going into Schwarzwelt than some samurais with some hightech gauntlet. But it's way too early to judge anything so far.

Shit gets fairly weird. Not quite as much as SJ in some ways but it picks up.

Gala

After playing over five hours, I can only say that I really enjoy the game so far. Everything is top notch. The graphics and the 3D effect are great, I love the music and the story and characters are well done. I'm looking forward to spend my weekend playing and dying in the game!

vocab

Physical is weak ass in smt4. The game isn't balanced around physical at all. Especially for party members.

Go guns!

Jisgsaw

Physical is weak ass in smt4. The game isn't balanced around physical at all. Especially for party members.

Go guns!

Yeah, I meant dex build of course.
If a Dex build is a "weak" build compared to magic, I can't even imagine how easy the game must be with a magic build...

Dex is ultimately even more powerful than Magic, but you have to be able to build your Luck and Dexterity stats sufficiently high in order for it to reach its full potential, which takes much longer than getting extremely strong magic power. (Magic users only need Magic and Agility as opposed to Phys users needing Dexterity, Agility and Luck, so even on a first run you can have obscenely strong offense at the end, for instance I had well over 200 MA and 120 Ag) Magic is also more versatile due to the superior MP pool for support.

Dex is a perfectly viable option, and a great way to play the game, but Magic beats it out in convenience and flexibility by a long shot.

Not worth restarting over, though.

Well, your MP pool is level dependant, not Magic dependant. That's why I usually don't like magic builds on MCs in SMT games: MP replenishing items are hard to come by, so physical builds that consume HPs are less limited: you use your skill every time, and just have a couple of healing demons in reserve to heal you up after a fight: no need to limit yourselves on your skills.
In SMT 4, you have the app to replenish your MP, so I guess that makes it less of a problem (and phys skills consume MP anyway).

I got around 200 Dex/120 Agi/80ish Luck on my first playthrough I think, that was already pretty powerfull.

vocab

If you are early on it's no big deal. Critical wave is decent early on despite the high miss chance, good for horde packs. Plus auto attack damage is still worth having. If you go physical it might be better to hybrid with guns. I think a pure physical build is just not worth anyone's time. Physical demons have small mana pools and just end up being a liability.

Physical doesn't not shine until mid to late end game. So you end up being really weak the entire game. Someone might have had a different experience, but compared to magic, physical sucks. SMT3 physical on the other hand is so deadly simply because it scaled better.

Caladrius

Well, your MP pool is level dependant, not Magic dependant. That's why I usually don't like magic builds on MCs in SMT games: MP replenishing items are hard to come by, so physical builds that consume HPs are less limited: you use your skill every time, and just have a couple of healing demons in reserve to heal you up after a fight: no need to limit yourselves on your skills.
In SMT 4, you have the app to replenish your MP, so I guess that makes it less of a problem (and phys skills consume MP anyway).

I got around 200 Dex/120 Agi/80ish Luck on my first playthrough I think, that was already pretty powerfull.

Odd. I might be confusing it with Devil survivor. My mistake.

Jisgsaw

Odd. I might be confusing it with Devil survivor. My mistake.

Well, MP pool scales with magic in most SMT games, so that's understable.
On Devil Survivor though: high str + high agi + multi-strike + drain hit (+ pierce late game) was way way OP (meaning one shooting everything, including bosses, not reflecting phys).

A dex build is perfectly viable. If a magic build makes the game even easier, I'd say it's even better to keep at least some sort of challenge
in Tokyo
As you're only at
Matador
, you can just change your build, you didn't loose too much Stat points yet.

saturnine

Managed to not get my shit wrecked by
Minotaur
, went on to have my ass handed to me in a single turn by
Medusa
I think it's time to let the old demons go and capture some new one.

Tizoc

tumblr_ms2c4lQlzf1qa0olro1_1280.jpg

Well that's one way to end a negotiation.

aravuus

Speaking of recruiting, thanks to whoever it was that said you should just end negotiations after the demon's asked for three things. 6 times I've chosen to stop talking on the fourth macca/item/other request and six times the demon has went "well, I got what I want, I'll join you"

Zornica

Banned
the last smt I played was soul hackers... and in comparison smt4 feels really hard. not sure why it's giving me so much trouble atm, died like 5 times already and I only just finished the tutorial... maybe I'm rushing things?
if only I had a way to revive fallen allies....

ramyeon

So I was grinding on the 5th Stratum and I naively thought that they would have been nice enough to put something that heals you before facing Minotaur in that room. Saved before just in case and of course they hadn't but I still managed to take him out with limited MP and no KOs. Feels good man.

krossj

Getting into the flow of constantly fusing demons again. Does the game have a compendium completion percentage? Had a look but could't find one.

Soulhouf

Yeah, I meant dex build of course.
If a Dex build is a "weak" build compared to magic, I can't even imagine how easy the game must be with a magic build...

Like other said, physical/dex builds require more investment than magic builds but the result is more rewarding.

Riot Gun is indisputably the most powerful raw attack in the game and Desperate Hit is so broken that it isn't funny. There is no magic attack in the entire game that comes even close to these 2.

ramyeon

About 8 hours in.

Medusa was a lot easier than I expected, but I had a lot of demons with force skills like Zan and Mazan. Got to Ueno station and cleared the domain there opening up the terminal. Feels more like an SMT game now we're in Tokyo.

I'm struggling with getting app points. I really wanted to get Demonlingual but I spent all my points so far, there's an increasing amount of demons that I need it to scout though. Bit of a pain that the cost of apps increases as they unlock but you still only get 10 per level.

Shiina

About 8 hours in.

Medusa was a lot easier than I expected, but I had a lot of demons with force skills like Zan and Mazan. Got to Ueno station and cleared the domain there opening up the terminal. Feels more like an SMT game now we're in Tokyo.

I'm struggling with getting app points. I really wanted to get Demonlingual but I spent all my points so far, there's an increasing amount of demons that I need it to scout though. Bit of a pain that the cost of apps increases as they unlock but you still only get 10 per level.

Unfortunately this is where the difficulty starts dropping.

All these demon conversation apps add a lot to the negotiations. They really put a lot of effort into those. Lots of bosses have unique stuff to say, too, if you have the apps.

Oh I actually found the entire conversation list with

Caladrius

Does the dlc matter?

Not necessary but they resolve some hanging plot threads and offer some very powerful demons and exclusive skills if you complete them.

If you feel like playing a lot of the late game and don't mind cheesing, the money and Level-up DLCs are worth investing in. Money is in short supply the whole game, and the level-up DLC is useful in combination with the level-up stat boosters and save-scumming to make obscenely powerful demons.

I made an Aeshma with over 300 magic and 130+ in all other stats just by raising it from level 10.

Well, MP pool scales with magic in most SMT games, so that's understable.
On Devil Survivor though: high str + high agi + multi-strike + drain hit (+ pierce late game) was way way OP (meaning one shooting everything, including bosses, not reflecting phys)..

I remember that from playing the 2nd game. I was actually going to start Overclocked soon. ("soon" being when I finish the high-priority games in my backlog.)

ramyeon

Unfortunately this is where the difficulty starts dropping.
Well that sucks. I haven't really found anything that difficult so far outside of, ironically, the opening parts of the tutorial before getting a full party. Have had some tense moments when I get jumped by random encounters but that's about it. Only died twice, both very near the beginning of the game.

Haven't encountered a boss that I could compare to something like Matador yet. A lot of people were saying that Minotaur and Medusa were the Matador of this game, but they were kind of pushovers imo. I haven't even had much need to use buffs or debuts yet.

Jisgsaw

Minotaur is kind of luck because if he gets a smirk or two you're done.

Yeah, this.
I must have been really unlucky, but on my first 7 Minautor encounters, he always got a smirk early in a turn (when Walt didn't give him one by attacking with agi). After which you're screwed, as he'll destroy your whole party in one hit.

I remember that from playing the 2nd game. I was actually going to start Overclocked soon. ("soon" being when I finish the high-priority games in my backlog.)

Wait, that was maybe in DeSu 2... ? Yeah, that was definitively DeSu 2, my bad.

Like other said, physical/dex builds require more investment than magic builds but the result is more rewarding.

Riot Gun is indisputably the most powerful raw attack in the game and Desperate Hit is so broken that it isn't funny. There is no magic attack in the entire game that comes even close to these 2.

Yeah, those two skills were pretty usefull in my first run.
I'll keep going with phys builds on my SMT-MCs I think.

the last smt I played was soul hackers... and in comparison smt4 feels really hard. not sure why it's giving me so much trouble atm, died like 5 times already and I only just finished the tutorial... maybe I'm rushing things?
if only I had a way to revive fallen allies....

It's normal, the beginning is quite hard. The game gets pretty easy further on, just keep going.

Damn, when you have other samurais with you they're friggin' useless lol. If you're not going to hit the enemie's weakness at least don't use stuff that it blocks.

Thoraxes

Fuck.

I think I may do my NG+ run and join you guys. Nothing has come close to filling the void since I finished SMT IV last year.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So glad to see that they posted a sensible price here in Australia.

Now can they please reduce the price of soul hackers on the eshop. No I will not pay 70 fucking dollars for it.

I am getting destroyed. I've used like 70 play coins in revivals. I think I should seek some online guidance as to how not be terrible.

Top Bottom