• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |EU OT| Atlus Shrugged

RDreamer

Played this game for a while and loved it. Took a break to play Bravely Default when that came out, though, and found it really hard to get back into (mostly because of the map). The other day I bought Devil Survivor since it was on sale, and after playing a bit of that and seeing this thread and people talking about SMT4, I decided to try and go back to it. I'm getting into it pretty well now again. Such a good game.

Sadist

I'm wearing a
Black Demonica
aaaaaww yeah.

After Medusa the bosses have been... tame? I'm not complaining, but after the rough first hours it's... nice.

Jisgsaw

If I alternately pick good and bad choices, will I end up with the neutral path?
I didn't finish off evil Issachar but I did kill Dullahan in Shinjuku
. Is that the way to go? Also, where can I check my current alignment?

I heard that picking the first option on every choice brings you to neutral, if you keep yourself to mandatory choices, but I didn't test it. Alterning between good/bad choices doesn't necessarly work, as every choice doesn't bring necessarly the ame amount of alignment points.

To check your alignment: The "cynical man" in the bar in
Ikkebukero
(something like the fourth "town") gives you a hint on your alignment when you speak to him.
I heard you can also simply check how your Icon spins on the world map: if it spins left you're law, right chaos, and if it spins back and forth, neutral. Small spoiler:
some "choices" aren't choices, you're force to take sometimes choices that brings you toward law, sometimes toward chaos. Don't rely on the indicators too much, it's possible that the last forced choice brings you out of neutral/law/chaos

tl;dr : save the neutral path for a NG+ with walkthrough.
If you want more details on the effect of each choice (spoiler of course), go here.

Semajer

I seem to remember reading that the Chaos path has some content locked behind NG+. Should I be going for Law, or Neutral for my first playthough?

Jisgsaw

I seem to remember reading that the Chaos path has some content locked behind NG+. Should I be going for Law, or Neutral for my first playthough?

Every path has exclusive content (well, except maybe neutral, where there is only one quest that can only be completed when doing neutral).
Both Chaos and Law have also exclusive NG+ content, so technicaly, I think neutral would be best for a first run... but as I said above, I wouldn't recommend it, as it more or less requires you to follow a walkthrough.
That, and I seem to remember that neutral is the only path where you can find all Fiends, but I may be wrong.

Just answer like you want to. If you want to see the rest of the game, do a NG+ while keeping your level, that goes relatively fast.

Kensuke

I just got a challenge quest by talking to a demon: 'capture the berserker'. I didn't know you could get quests from demons. Did I already miss one? Is there a list somewhere?

Just
captured the Black Samurai
and I'm just musing around now. Doing sidequests every now and again. I think I'm edging towards a chaos route currently.
The game is okay so far. I still prefer Strange Journey at this point. Playing SMTIV in a 3D environment makes me wish Strange Journey was on 3DS instead. The world would be lovely to see around you as you walked. But Strange Journey and this (and probably others) are annoying because the demon portraits are in inconsistent styles and quality.

Also I'm never
taking the Black Demonica off. I DON'T CARE IF IT IS TOO WEAK, FUCKING MAKE ME SMTIV.

Soulhouf

I just got a challenge quest by talking to a demon: 'capture the berserker'. I didn't know you could get quests from demons. Did I already miss one? Is there a list somewhere?

You can't miss them. They will always be there.
They will unlock as you go along the story. Since you're constantly talking to demons to recruit them you should always be up to date in that regard.

Zornica

Banned
If handcuff lightning tells me that a challenge quest may be to hard (3 stars), should I refrain from trying it? I just beat the Medusa and ended up in
Uedo
But she is still insisting that I'm too weak, even though I got those quests hours ago (the dragon of the lake?)

Bullets are infinite when acquired, yes. Better versions of individual types show up as the game progresses, but are generally spaced out well enough not to make getting earlier ones a waste. I tended not to bother with the elemental rounds, but I played a magic build.

thanks. which ones are recommended?

[...]

For skills: Make sure you use buffs and debuffs, you can get away without using them in other RPG's, but in SMT not using them is a quick way to die in 2-3 turns. With fusions, a demon gains the skills from the fusion materials, plus a couple of additional skills.[...]
speaking of buffs and debuffs: do they stack up? I remember that you could stack the same buff up to 5 times or something in soul hackers. but for some reason there is no indicator here if my characters even got buffs or not. Am I supposed to just remember whom I already buffed? also do they disappear after a set number of rounds?

aravuus

The quest props can really break immersion. Dramatic scene follows by "The quest is going well Master!"

Yeah they're really fucking weird lol

"hey let's go to some nice place to enjoy your day off"

"i've marked this quest"

what

I expect there's some shocking twist later on in the game where your friends die and it's dramatic as fuck and the hand thingie (Borough? can't remember) just goes "you're proceeding well on your quest!"

speaking of buffs and debuffs: do they stack up? I remember that you could stack the same buff up to 5 times or something in soul hackers. but for some reason there is no indicator here if my characters even got buffs or not. Am I supposed to just remember whom I already buffed? also do they disappear after a set number of rounds?

Press X in battle. It tells you.

Shiina

"i've marked this quest"

what

I expect there's some shocking twist later on in the game where your friends die and it's dramatic as fuck and the hand thingie (Borough? can't remember) just goes "you're proceeding well on your quest!"

68u.jpg

Xhorder

The quest props can really break immersion. Dramatic scene follows by "The quest is going well Master!"

"Did you get all that?"

Yes yes yes!! :-(

In other news, I killed
Medusa
on my second try with all party members still alive. Now the real SMTIV starts here...

jgminto

I just started this last night and the game seems ridiculously more punishing than SMT3 right off the bat. If you weren't able to recruit a demon in 3 it wasn't a massive deal but so far in 4 it seems like it will either get you killed or leave you with super low health.

"i've marked this quest"

what

Yeah, I don't get this either. It's really weird.

desverger

I was just at the part where
some hooded guy summons two snakes against you when you reach Naraku's 3rd level.

The fight seemed tough at first, but I has a great idea to just hang around there and waiting for encounters. Managed to talk one of those leprechaun demons to my side and suddenly I had two fire users (Pele was the other), and one more level under my belt.

Breezed that fight just one next try, I've never felt this smart before lol.

bobohoro

Started it last night, only did the tutorial bit, but am already a fan of the game. Didn't think the start was all that difficult, or is it the bits that come now that will kill me?

I just started this last night and the game seems ridiculously more punishing than SMT3 right off the bat. If you weren't able to recruit a demon in 3 it wasn't a massive deal but so far in 4 it seems like it will either get you killed or leave you with super low health.

If you don't already do it: Kill every demon except the one you want to talk to before doing so.

Korigama

To check your alignment: The "cynical man" in the bar in
Ikkebukero
(something like the fourth "town") gives you a hint on your alignment when you speak to him.
I heard you can also simply check how your Icon spins on the world map: if it spins left you're law, right chaos, and if it spins back and forth, neutral.
The Cynical Man appears in every Hunter Association bar once he starts showing up. However, the bar in
Ikebukuro will be inactive, as it'll be completely trashed along with the rest of that area's underground by the time you get there
. But no, the world map icon doesn't spin according to alignment in SMT IV (it did in Raidou 2, but not here). The Cynical Man is indeed the only way to determine your current alignment.

It's possible to get Neutral on a first playthrough, even without a walkthrough for the point values. I did at least, but it would likely be better to play through the game without fretting over whether you'll succeed in getting it (again, like I did). I wouldn't recommend going Chaos the first time unless you intend to replay it on the same alignment, as it's the only locked path with content exclusive to NG+.
thanks. which ones are recommended?
Other than ones that just focus on upping damage, I found the paralysis rounds useful. You should keep an eye out for handguns that fire more than once as well (bazookas would likely be more useful against bosses, given their nature of targeting all enemies for multiple hits randomly).

Ultratech

Yeah, getting Neutral can be a bit of a crapshoot depending on your choices.

There's also a few choices you get presented with that don't seem terribly important, but can easily tilt the scales one way or another.

I'd say it would be fairly difficult to just "luck" into the Neutral path.
It's possible, but you're bound to either hit Chaos or Law.

Korigama

Yeah, getting Neutral can be a bit of a crapshoot depending on your choices.

There's also a few choices you get presented with that don't seem terribly important, but can easily tilt the scales one way or another.

I'd say it would be fairly difficult to just "luck" into the Neutral path.
It's possible, but you're bound to either hit Chaos or Law.
Absolutely. A notable one related to the already mentioned
Ikebukuro
region being
an optional conversation with the woman in the freezer, who will ask if you're a human or a demon: it's worth TEN points toward either Law or Chaos respectively
. To put this in perspective, getting Neutral requires falling somewhere between -8 and +8 points by the time you reach the alignment lock.

krossj

Ok, so Medusa gave me a lot more trouble than the minotaur. Finally defeated it and i think i'm enjoying it a lot more now. I'm still not sure about some of the decisions taken compared to other SMT titles but i guess i've barely scratched the surface at the moment.

Maybe it's because I did a High Luck/Agi build, but Instant Death rounds are ridiculously good for me. I've never touched the elemental ones since my MC uses two elements and I have the others spread out nicely among my demons.

desverger

Stupid question time: does equipping a better sword give my gun skill more damage? The only thing the sword does is raise my "power" attribute.

I'm in the beginning of the game, in Naraku, and haven't even seen a gun type equip yet.

vocab

Stupid question time: does equipping a better sword give my gun skill more damage? The only thing the sword does is raise my "power" attribute.

I'm in the beginning of the game, in Naraku, and haven't even seen a gun type equip yet.
I'm gonna say no. Swords only affect auto attacks and physical skills.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

If you want to procure ALL demons, you have to go Neutral. One of the fiends is locked behind a Neutral only door.

But there's no percentage completion in compendium so meh. This is such a bollocks thing. Why no % completion in compendium? Completely eradicate the I-gotta-catch-em-all drive from the game :/

Also, guns guy. Go guns! Guns >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything in this game. It's so stupidly overpowered if you know how to set your guns and guns-related-skills.

I'm gonna say no. Swords only affect auto attacks and physical skills.

Yep. By large, Swords are rather useless. Which makes STR also useless since even skills don't use it as a modifier. Garbage stat, avoid--unless you want to get the "best sword in the game" (which is meh)

ramyeon

You'll find it a bit later on, the first one you find is story related so it's impossible to miss.

jgminto

I just reached Kiccigiorgi and I feel like I've got a decent handle on the game so far. When I found out they were using the in-world enemies and first hit system like Persona 4 I was worried. I enjoyed the coloured warning system with random battles in SMT3 and I wasn't a fan of how physical enemies worked in P4 where you would have to wait almost a minute at times to ensure you would get the first strike. But here it's just so much faster and more enjoyable. Once you've learned the speed of the various different enemy groups it's easy to anticipate them with your strike. I'm enjoying the characters and style so far too, the mix of Medieval and Japanese styles is an interesting one. The new art for the demons is hit and miss though, there isn't much consistency with styles and it's incredibly jarring when some demons like Pixie are still using their original art.

Zornica

Banned
I just reached Kiccigiorgi and I feel like I've got a decent handle on the game so far. When I found out they were using the in-world enemies and first hit system like Persona 4 I was worried. I enjoyed the coloured warning system with random battles in SMT3 and I wasn't a fan of how physical enemies worked in P4 where you would have to wait almost a minute at times to ensure you would get the first strike. But here it's just so much faster and more enjoyable. Once you've learned the speed of the various different enemy groups it's easy to anticipate them with your strike. I'm enjoying the characters and style so far too, the mix of Medieval and Japanese styles is an interesting one. The new art for the demons is hit and miss though, there isn't much consistency with styles and it's incredibly jarring when some demons like Pixie are still using their original art.

I just look at the yellow dot above their head. as soon as it turns red, hit X.

ZeroX03

Banned
Just recruited a Brute who was incredibly polite. He was so concerned about my well being!

The little touches like that are always so entertaining.

NeonZ

Yep. By large, Swords are rather useless. Which makes STR also useless since even skills don't use it as a modifier. Garbage stat, avoid--unless you want to get the "best sword in the game" (which is meh)

Physical skills do use STR as a modifier, the issue is that it's considered a secondary attribute compared to DEX.

Dex makes more sense to be better than strength. You're a samurai, I mean all those curved swords and shit are always dex weapons. I dunno...
But hey you're a mainline human who can use magic
that isn't a demon
, who needs swords?

Tizoc

I clench my buttocks whenever a Demon smirks.

Seems my Hero is weak to fire, how do I get around that?

Also I did my first demon fusion and...I got this!
Sansyo.jpg

Sucker 1 hit KOs most of the enemies XD.

Did someone post a link to a site that shows the best answers to Demon questions to increae the chances of them joining you? Sick of always failing Scouts with some of these fuckers...

gngf123

I clench my buttocks whenever a Demon smirks.

Seems my Hero is weak to fire, how do I get around that?

Also I did my first demon fusion and...I got this!
Sansyo.jpg

Sucker 1 hit KOs most of the enemies XD.

Did someone post a link to a site that shows the best answers to Demon questions to increae the chances of them joining you? Sick of always failing Scouts with some of these fuckers...

Your MC changes resistances/weaknesses depending on the armour he is wearing (so far, upper body armour) . Buy and equip different sets that you think will help.

Top Bottom