• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |EU OT| Atlus Shrugged

ZeroX03

Banned
It was only weak to
light
so wasn't getting more turns from that. Well I guess I should check other places before trying that fight again.

Was it using any elemental attacks on you? Get demons/equipment immune to drop turn counts.

myco666

Was it using any elemental attacks on you? Get demons/equipment immune to drop turn counts.

No it used only physical attack, physical charge and buffing defense. I still don't have any demon that had debuffing spells and even if I get my own defense and evasion buffed to the max it manages to wipe out atleast most of my team in one go.

Finally got this now that I finally have net access at home back. The game wouldn't fit on my 2 GB SD card I'd been using ever since I got my 3DS. Fortunately, I still hat a 16 GB one laying around and copying all of my SD card files onto the new one did the trick.

Only made it past the "intro" until I had to leave for work. :/ I'm interested in seeing how the somewhat high difficulty at the beginning people have been talking about will play out. I already have the feeling I'll be in for a kickass ride, though. Anyway, it's still great that Atlus brought this one over at all.

dani_dc

Just got done with Naraku and got to
Tokyo, have to say I'm pretty disappointed that we went to Tokyo yet again, mostly so early into the game, they barely made use of the medieval samurai theme, really wanted to see more of that. Hopefully I do but I doubt it.
No issues with the map though, seems more or less the same as SMT3. Though a bit harder to see where to go, partly due to lower resolution, partly to a more dense map.

He's definitely the best new design of the game so far. On the other hand, Medusa is the worst imo.

Oh man, she was bad, but something about her eyes made me think "...really?"

kd-z

I also wouldn't worry about the story or dialogue choices. Just keep going for a bit longer.
Thanks for the tips! I'll put the to good use... when I can finally sit down to play the game :/ As for the story - I porbably didn't express myself clearly enough. What I meant was that I'm fascinated by the world and the story that runs through it. I make the choices based solely on what I feel I want to choose :)

You didn't...

Really dude?
What? :<

Tokyo, have to say I'm pretty disappointed that we went to Tokyo yet again, mostly so early into the game, they barely made use of the medieval samurai theme, really wanted to see more of that. Hopefully I do but I doubt it.
No issues with the map though, seems more or less the same as SMT3. Though a bit harder to see where to go, partly due to lower resolution, partly to a more dense map.

Well in the end,
Tokyo is Tokyo. I'm sure people who are from Japan/know Tokyo had little issue with SMT4's map. I'm not surprised it takes place there though. I remember Strange Journey was originally planned to be SMT4 but they decided to make it a side game-ish thing because it wasn't in Tokyo. I personally do feel that being in Tokyo every time sounds pretty stagnant, but SMT4 has the best rendition of the city yet for the franchise (even better than Devil Summoner Raidou) so I'm not complaining for now.

Guys is there anyone that's playing this game on a 3ds xl? How does it look? Since I see that the text on the 3ds XL in general is a little blurry, I'm afraid that since it's basically a 2d game, the sprites will look blurry xD

Was just wondering if any of you guys know if I give a demon that is weak to Elec a resist Elec skill would it do anything to the weakness? like get rid of the weakness or reduce the damage.

Fritz

Different strokes. I thought Mikado was really boring, probably on purpose to build a contrast.

Coppanuva

Was just wondering if any of you guys know if I give a demon that is weak to Elec a resist Elec skill would it do anything to the weakness? like get rid of the weakness or reduce the damage.

Yup, gives you resist status for elec and reduces damage. You'll always get the highest level of resistance from skills.

Guys is there anyone that's playing this game on a 3ds xl? How does it look? Since I see that the text on the 3ds XL in general is a little blurry, I'm afraid that since it's basically a 2d game, the sprites will look blurry xD

I'm playing on a XL and it seems fine to me. I honestly can't play on a normal 3DS, the screens are just ridiculously small.

vocab

The textures look like shit (it's a 3ds game...so it's probably normal). The text is fine.

This may just be how poor quality the background was, but there was a fucking pixalated and messy looking background later on in the game where
you find out who Yuriko/Lilith is
. It was jarring as hell to see. But yeah it all looks fine. What annoys me is the different art styles and quality of the demon portraits. Black Frost's is really blurry.

you mean they look like shit in general or on the xl?

It's the game itself, it gets the job done but it's not a graphical showcase. I still appreciate the fact that we get to walk around in full 3D environments though instead of just navigating corridors with flat 2D walls in first person.

dani_dc

Well in the end,
Tokyo is Tokyo. I'm sure people who are from Japan/know Tokyo had little issue with SMT4's map. I'm not surprised it takes place there though. I remember Strange Journey was originally planned to be SMT4 but they decided to make it a side game-ish thing because it wasn't in Tokyo. I personally do feel that being in Tokyo every time sounds pretty stagnant, but SMT4 has the best rendition of the city yet for the franchise (even better than Devil Summoner Raidou) so I'm not complaining for now.
I'm more disappointed at how wasted the samurai medieval team has been so far than
Tokyo showing up to be honest, if we have to have Tokyo at least introduce it later and give new ideas time to shine.
Different strokes. I thought Mikado was really boring, probably on purpose to build a contrast.
Mikado was boring, that's part or the reason I was disappointed, the setting could had been great but they barely made use of it.

Soulhouf

I'm more disappointed at how wasted the samurai medieval team has been so far than
Tokyo showing up to be honest, if we have to have Tokyo at least introduce it later and give new ideas time to shine.
Mikado was boring, that's part or the reason I was disappointed, the setting could had been great but they barely made use of it.

The instant you arrive to Tokyo is probably my favorite video game moment period. It made the game for me. I was literally crying. I expected to arrive to Tokyo at some point but not like that.

And the fact that the Mikado part was disappointing contributed to it. Everything was crafted carefully to prepare that key moment when you arrive to Tokyo.
You will learn later what Mikado is and everything falls together and it totally makes sense.

Tizoc

Well I just made it to
Tokyo.
I have a slim outline of what happened in SMT1, 2 and 3 so I can already guess why the world is the way it is.
...but has Sky really been separated from our world for 1500 years like what Minotaur said?

Gotta say though
Tokyo is too much to take in @_@ but I'll be doing quests step by step before doing the main quest...whatever it is :V

BTW what's the best ammo to use with the Gun?

Jisgsaw

BTW what's the best ammo to use with the Gun?

Imho: your skills, if you have a dex build. At least where you're at. Needle shot only costs 2MP, and I found it doing more consistent damage than my guns. And when you get better guns, you also get better skills and that usefull MP repleneshing app.
So i'd say to stay away from standard bullets. Just take the ones with the status effects/ elements you want to use, if you have the money to spare.

Tizoc

Imho: your skills, if you have a dex build. At least where you're at. Needle shot only costs 2MP, and I found it doing more consistent damage than my guns. And when you get better guns, you also get better skills and that usefull MP repleneshing app.
So i'd say to stay away from standard bullets. Just take the ones with the status effects/ elements you want to use, if you have the money to spare.

Thanks, I'll add a slot to my MC and then get the Needle Shot ability. I take it at High Dex. and Luck it'll do huge damage?

Jisgsaw

Thanks, I'll add a slot to my MC and then get the Needle Shot ability. I take it at High Dex. and Luck it'll do huge damage?

Needle shot won't do very high damage no, there are better gun skills, even where you're at in the game. But the skill is interesting for its very low MP cost. If you already have the MP repleneshing app, you don't really need it.
But I wouldn't recommend spending too much money on guns, bullets and weapons. You get relatively good ones from quests also, so your money is better spent elsewhere

Kensuke

I think I have a pretty awesome team at level 24. Having a lot of fun so far.

gXqdCVW.jpg

OK, so I died a whole lot during the "training" missions due to most demons wrecking me if I didn't manage to pull off a pre-emptive strike (which happened quite often as I was still getting used to the camera controls). I still had a lot of fun so far, the combat feels really fast and fluid. I take it this is what most people meant when they talked about an early part of the game being kinda tough? Really digging this so far, the graphics aren't anything amazing but they're stylish enough and the 3D is servicable.

Fritz

Man I love this game!

The pacing is flawless and the story is so uch more captivating than the usual jrpg fare. Also the first time I feel compelled to buy dlc! It just such a great gaming experience. Also the difficulty fits me prerfectly.

dani_dc

Goddamn, random David appears after I'm doing an "easy quest" and my team is all poisoned and screwed up. One of the few times I bothered using the revive. Mostly because I'm sick of Naraku and I can't stand being there longer than needed.

The instant you arrive to Tokyo is probably my favorite video game moment period. It made the game for me. I was literally crying. I expected to arrive to Tokyo at some point but not like that.

And the fact that the Mikado part was disappointing contributed to it. Everything was crafted carefully to prepare that key moment when you arrive to Tokyo.
You will learn later what Mikado is and everything falls together and it totally makes sense.

Didn't care much for the moment, mostly because there wasn't much build up towards it, most of the time spent in Mikado was inside a cave or a generic looking forest.

So I disagree on the crafted for that moment, I felt the moment was under prepared.

Hedge

I simply cannot get over how perfect that OP title is. Seriously, Kudos.

I think I have a pretty awesome team at level 24. Having a lot of fun so far.

gXqdCVW.jpg

Oh man, how do you get that Take-Minakata? I've been busy with studying, so I'm going to play tomorrow again. I'm anxious to get back and fuse some demons! :)

Thoraxes

Didn't care much for the moment, mostly because there wasn't much build up towards it, most of the time spent in Mikado was inside a cave or a generic looking forest.

So I disagree on the crafted for that moment, I felt the moment was under prepared.

I totally disagree. I was wowed by it when it happened, and loved the build-up to get there.

Tizoc

Sigh
I'm starting to dislike demon fusing because I can't decide on what to fuse to next. This is mainly because I could have a demon with good healing spells but I could fuse it with a Phys attack demon and get smething totally different than those 2.

dani_dc

This is how I'll be rocking until the end of the game (equipment spoilers)

I totally disagree. I was wowed by it when it happened, and loved the build-up to get there.

Not much build up when it just appears out of nowhere and when you barely spent that much time in actual Mikado.

Sigh
I'm starting to dislike demon fusing because I can't decide on what to fuse to next. This is mainly because I could have a demon with good healing spells but I could fuse it with a Phys attack demon and get smething totally different than those 2.

Well you can choose what skills are passed down to the other demon, so I'm not sure what's the issue?

I'm currently in
the another Tokyo that is basically a wasteland.

I'm enjoying SMTIV despite it being a bit boring because of difficulty. I mean
I'm still rocking the damn black Demonica
that's how easy the game is. I was joking about using it till the end, but if it is this easy then I guess it's fine. Also I'm really hoping
Demonicas
come back in future games, I fucking love them.

I dunno, Demonicas are rad and I will continue to spoiler text it.

Leezard

What if 1 demon's 3-4 skills are all good and the other one's are all good too?
Then you might want to wait to fuse. If you get some more demons you can probably pair a sermon with mediocre skills with someone with good skills.

Tizoc

So I just learned about
Evolutions, and got an Angel. This sucka's gonna get me dat uber duper Gun skill~

ramyeon

zlCfzSoD-Nst_Ta4SD

Current party. Been awhile since I could play because of work. Looking forward to spending the weekend with this.

Guys, after protesting that I would wait until bargain bin price to download this, I've only just gone and bought the game while sitting at my desk at work. Almost finished downloading.

Big fan of Devil Survivor/Summoner and Persona, but never played a mainline SMT game before. What should I expect?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Guys, after protesting that I would wait until bargain bin price to download this, I've only just gone and bought the game while sitting at my desk at work. Almost finished downloading.

Big fan of Devil Survivor/Summoner and Persona, but never played a mainline SMT game before. What should I expect?

Greatness.

unrelated tory spoiler after the first big dungeon, not a reply for you Orbital:
I just reached
Tokyo
Oh my god, I love this game.

Top Bottom