• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |EU OT| Atlus Shrugged

Your MC changes resistances/weaknesses depending on the armour he is wearing (so far, upper body armour) . Buy and equip different sets that you think will help.

Yep, it's important to consider what you have equipped, especially when entering boss fights. You don't want to fight Medusa with your MC weak to Zio. This game (and SMT in general of course) is all about exploiting weaknesses.

Soulhouf

Yep, it's important to consider what you have equipped, especially when entering boss fights. You don't want to fight Medusa with your MC weak to Zio. This game (and SMT in general of course) is all about exploiting weaknesses.

Until you reach the later game optional/DLC bosses who punish you for doing that.
Sanat for example will punish you severely if you happen to hit his weakness (he will send your demons flying with the "lost" status leaving you alone against him).
Or more common but still annoying, when you block the favorite element of a boss, he starts spamming nasty almighty attacks (Red Rider say hi!).

Tizoc

So I've been blindly fusing demons and am down to 4 demons to level up then fuse :V
Hope more demon start showing up so I can fuse those and end up with...I dunno something.
When can I start using Gun abilities/equip guns?

totowhoa

Banned
So I've been blindly fusing demons and am down to 4 demons to level up then fuse :V
Hope more demon start showing up so I can fuse those and end up with...I dunno something.

You'll get guns a few hours into the game when you get far enough into the dungeon (forgetting what it's called now), and then you'll start seeing them in the shop.

Also- if you have space then you might as well pick up some lower lvl demons to try fusing new things!

Tizoc

You'll get guns a few hours into the game when you get far enough into the dungeon (forgetting what it's called now), and then you'll start seeing them in the shop.

Also- if you have space then you might as well pick up some lower lvl demons to try fusing new things!

But the negotiations =_= if there's an app that'll let already recruited Demons be recruit-able instantly, then I'll get to that.

You can catch the same demons again or buy them from the compendium if you want to try out more fusions before moving forward or just have more options available in your roster. Don't forget to register them before fusing if they have leveled up since you recruited them. Every time you enter a new area there will be new demons.
I think I got the gun about 6 hours into the game.

But the negotiations =_= if there's an app that'll let already recruited Demons be recruit-able instantly, then I'll get to that.

Like I said, you can buy them from the compendium but they're expensive so you're better off negotiating.

gngf123

There's no such thing that I know of, best you'll get is the demon compendium with the apps to make summoning costs cheaper.

In Strange Journey there was an app that let you smooth over a bad choice in a negotiation, don't think there is an option like that in this game though.

Tizoc

Wait register? How do I register them o_O
I just learn all their abilities and fuse them with another demon.

Lusankya

Did someone post a link to a site that shows the best answers to Demon questions to increae the chances of them joining you? Sick of always failing Scouts with some of these fuckers...

There are no best answers, it's completely random. I.e. if a demon asks you an already known question the previous best answer doesn't have to be the best answer again.

A few hints nonetheless:
- Always kill all other demons before trying to scout the demon of your choice.
- Never give them all the things they want, especially not lots of Macca or rare items. I usually accept the first two or three demands and then refuse before accepting something better for me. There also quite some dmeons who think you have guts when you don't give them stuff (others just run away with all they got).
- You can talk to one demon multiple times.
- Save often ;)

gngf123

In the demon compendium (listed in the menu as "book" this time), you can search through the listings or you can use the "overwrite" menu to register the demons you have, so you can summon them again later.

Lusankya

They are automatically registered, but if you want you can re-register their updated (stronger) version. However it will become more expensive to summon then.

Tizoc

Pfft
Ares
was hardly a pushover. Maybe I should give my Hero all the buff abilities, have 1 demon as a healer in Stock and the rest magic and attack damage casters.

Thnks for the tips guys lthough some of them I already know ;)

Arizato

I am really enjoying SMT IV so far, even though I haven't gotten that far yet. Have they gone out with any numbers yet regarding sales? I want to know how many copies that have been sold!

Lernaean

Banned
Until you reach the later game optional/DLC bosses who punish you for doing that.

DLC bosses are rather tough though, and I hadn't the chance to encounter a Fiend yet.

Well, wait and see if we get the DLC in Europe and we can worry about DLC bosses after :)

Pfft
Maybe I should give my Hero all the buff abilities, have 1 demon as a healer in Stock and the rest magic and attack damage casters.

I never use only one demon specifically for a role. You can lose your dedicated healer or buffer and then watch the enemy rip you down.
I always distribute abilities to the whole party.

Semajer

Well, wait and see if we get the DLC in Europe and we can worry about DLC bosses after :)
Are you sure the DLC is not available here?

The first lot of DLC is already available, and atlusprime provided the release schedule in this thread:

Available beginning 30 October

• Visage Pack (Free) -- This pack offers several character customization options that are purely for aesthetics.
  • White Samurai Apparel (Free until 30 Nov., then €0,69/£0.59) -- Strong beginning-game armor that is easily attainable.
  • Experience of the Afterlife (€1,49/£1.19) -- Additional area where players can earn additional Experience at an accelerated rate. Accessible early-game and allows for a new demon to fuse.

Available beginning 6 November

• Symbolic Equipment (€0,69/£0.59) -- Deliver Quest that unlocks the Freedom Armor. Accessibly early game.
  • Death Has Its Applications (€1,99/£1.59) -- Additional area where players can earn App Points at an accelerated rate. Accessible mid-game and allows for a new demon to fuse.
  • Underworld Money-Maker (€1,99/£1.59) -- Additional area where players can earn Macca at an accelerated rate. Accessible mid-game and allows for a new demon to fuse.

Available beginning 13 November

• Overlord Equipment (€0,99/£0.75) -- Delivery quest that unlocks Demon's Skin armor. Accessible early game, but the armor is suited for mid-game.
  • Clipped Wings 1 (€1,79/£1.49) -- Add-on Challenge quest to beat two Archangels, allowing you to fuse them. The content pertains to the main story, and is accessible end-game.

Available beginning 20 November
  • Snake Scale Equipment (€0,99/£0.75) -- Delivery quest that unlocks the Deity Scale armor. Can be accessed early game, but the Deity Scale armor is most suited for mid- to late-game.
  • Clipped Wings 2 (€1,79/£1.49) -- Add-on Challenge quest to beat two more Archangels, allowing you to fuse them. The content pertains to the main story, and is accessible end-game.

Available beginning 27 November
  • Ancient One of the Sun (€0,99/£0.75) -- Add-on Challenge quest to beat the Ancient of Days and unlock it for fusing. The content pertains to the main story, and is accessible post-game.
  • The Eternal Youth (€1,79/£1.49) -- Add-on Challenge quest to beat the Eternal Youth Sanat Kumara and unlock it for fusing. The content pertains to the main story, and is accessible post-game.

Available beginning 4 December
  • Radiant Equipment (€0,99/£0.75) -- Delivery quest that unlocks the Traje de Luces armor. Can be accessed early game, but the armor is most suited for mid- to late-game.
  • For the Past... For the Future (€1,99/£1.59) -- Add-on Challenge quest to beat the guardian deity Masakado and unlock it for fusing. The content pertains to the main story, and is accessible post-game with all other challenges complete.

Tizoc

Yo this game has the most badass
Minotaur
design ever!
He's a tough SOB though, will go back and do a little grinding before daring to take him on again.

jgminto

If I do all of the DLC Life Stone quests once will Burroughs stop yelling at me every time I pick up a Life Stone under 10? It's pretty annoying.

dani_dc

First boss to give me some issues so far was
minotaur
, had to re-do my party, he was killing 1-2 people per turn. Wasn't a big issue after a bit of work.

I really hate the new fusing interface, I have no idea what they were thinking with it, it has some neat things like being able to buy demons from compendium for special summons immediately and stuff like "recommended" fusions which is nice, but to manually fuse demons is an hassle. Whenever I go there I think "I hope they patch this" and then go "oh..."

I can't understand how they screwed up such a basic interface that worked just fine before.

If I do all of the DLC Life Stone quests once will Burroughs stop yelling at me every time I pick up a Life Stone under 10? It's pretty annoying.

She still yells at me for other quests I already finished, so I doubt it.

gngf123

You get used to the new fusion interface after a while, but yes I really just want the old fusion table back.

Before, I'd sometimes have some low level demons in my party and I'd just play with the table to see what I could get with them. Now, the closest I can get is to pick one of them as the included demon and then manually go through all the possibilities.

It's such a pain.

I personally love the new fusion style, though it does take getting used to. I can pick a demon that I know im getting fused, and maybe one that i know i want to keep, and ive got all my options available from there. If i want a specific demon for a special fusion, i can look it up and pick a cheap option using compendium demons. I can find specific races to get another specific race of demons available.

The new style of fusion is perfect for folks who have been megaten'ing for awhile.

Jisgsaw

You get used to the new fusion interface after a while, but yes I really just want the old fusion table back.

Before, I'd sometimes have some low level demons in my party and I'd just play with the table to see what I could get with them. Now, the closest I can get is to pick one of them as the included demon and then manually go through all the possibilities.

It's such a pain.

Well, I'll give the system that: it's great when you know what you want. Being able to include the compendium in the search is great... when it doesn't end you up with too many search results (in which case you can't see them).
It isn't that bad either if you want something similar to the old system: just reset the search and press Y.
It does suck when you want to fuse a specific demon with specific skills that you haven't fused yet though, as you can only select demons you already fused in the search.

myco666

IIRC she will keep yelling even if you have completed the quests. Just keep your Life Stones over 10 and Burroughs won't talk about it ever again. If you have under 10 then yes she will yell at you about it.

Soulhouf

First boss to give me some issues so far was
minotaur
, had to re-do my party, he was killing 1-2 people per turn. Wasn't a big issue after a bit of work.

I really hate the new fusing interface, I have no idea what they were thinking with it, it has some neat things like being able to buy demons from compendium for special summons immediately and stuff like "recommended" fusions which is nice, but to manually fuse demons is an hassle. Whenever I go there I think "I hope they patch this" and then go "oh..."

I can't understand how they screwed up such a basic interface that worked just fine before.

Make sure to click on all the +s on the UI. It unlocks a lot options, including the possibility to fuse compendium demons without having to manually buy them.

The new fusion interface is really what broke the game for me because now I'm able to fuse any demon with any skill set I want in minutes VS hours in the previous games for some settings.

You want to fuse a Moh Shuvu with Riot Gun, Antichthon and Victory Cry? Easy because why not.

They totally captured the usage by thinking the interface from what you want to fuse and the interface does the searching for you instead of "here is the list of the demons you have, good luck to fuse what you want".

This game is kicking the ever loving shit out of me. It's kind of awesome to play a game so brutal for a change. I could never get into Dark Souls.

Lernaean

Banned
Thanks for the info about the DLC guys. It's good to know they're on the way as well.
In other news, i got my
Black Demonica
and i'm running around like an idiot marveling at how awesome i look.
Will continue tomorrow.

bobohoro

5th Stratum spoilers
Just beat Minotaur. Bufu/Sukukaja made it a breeze.
If this really is already the most difficult stretch of the game sans DLC then I must say I am slightly disappointed. The only real danger one faces are ambushes if you try to rush through a zone, but if you carefully strike every visible enemy that too is no problem. Ah well, let's push on, everything else about the game is pretty great, especially the soundtrack.

jgminto

I found
Minotaur
to be somewhat of a challenge but I just returned to the entrance, fused some new demons and made sure that I did as much damage as quickly as possible while also raising defence. It seems like main challenge so far is taking out enemies quickly before they can bring out buffed attacks.

Also do we need boss name spoilers? I don't think they're really that important.

Sadist

Fantastic game.

I'm at lvl 25 with my mc and currently exploring
Shinjuku
. Took on a quest which is followed by a boss monster, but I'll manage. The talk option seems a bit more easier this time around. Recruiting demons isn't that big of a chore anymore.

Did my part and bought it the other day.

About 15hours in so far and I'm enjoying it but I miss the slight horror/dread mood from the first three.
I'm in Tokyo currently and I do have to say, exploring the map is really intriguing.

Holy shit at the early bosses, those impression from US peeps weren't kidding.
Naraku boss spoiler
Minotaur destroyed me over and over and over again. It was a GREAT way to introduce learning the Press Turn system properly. I didn't like Medusa however, I felt that a win against her was really just to chance.

Like I said, I'm enjoying it but it makes me appreciate Nocturne's atmosphere so much more.

Forgot to mention, the soundtrack is pretty good and the new fusion system is FANTASTIC. Easily my favourite Fusion system in the entire series.

omlet

Can I just say again how much I hate the overworld map? It's just so terrible and annoying and makes me want to stop playing any time a quest tells me to go do something on it or move between areas.

I'm mostly neutral to the map, but I know it was a major negative point for a bunch of players. At least the map theme is awesome.

Lernaean

Banned
I don't mind the overworld map tbh, it's not like you have to spend too much time on it. And as mentioned it has a nice theme.

jgminto

I just beat Medusa and got to
Tokyo
. The world map seems similar to most SMT maps, especially Nocturne's. Don't see any problems with it so far.

Can I just say again how much I hate the overworld map? It's just so terrible and annoying and makes me want to stop playing any time a quest tells me to go do something on it or move between areas.

it's total shit. i hated it. i was forced to ignore quests thanks to that atrocity.

vocab

The map coulda used building names a la soul hackers. That's my only complaint with it. Ya the little mazes of trash are annoying.

Cheat works way too often imo.
The map is a bit confusing but I don't think it's a huge issue.
I'm really curious to know how the game did.

myco666

So how much levels matter in this game? Explored a bit and found a demon domain where there was boss that had double the amount of levels that I had. He wiped my entire team in few rounds so was wondering if it is even possible for me to win it at the moment or should I come back later.

ZeroX03

Banned
So how much levels matter in this game? Explored a bit and found a demon domain where there was boss that had double the amount of levels that I had. He wiped my entire team in few rounds so was wondering if it is even possible for me to win it at the moment or should I come back later.

Levels matter, but there's only so much you can do to brute force your way through bosses. Just grinding won't always do the trick. Figure out the demon's weaknesses and attacks and build a party that exploit it. Your level doesn't matter nearly as much as the number of turns you get (and number of turns you deny them).

myco666

Levels matter, but there's only so much you can do to brute force your way through bosses. Just grinding won't always do the trick. Figure out the demon's weaknesses and attacks and build a party that exploit it. Your level doesn't matter nearly as much as the number of turns you get (and number of turns you deny them).

It was only weak to
light
so wasn't getting more turns from that. Well I guess I should check other places before trying that fight again.

walnuts

Yo this game has the most badass
Minotaur
design ever!
He's a tough SOB though, will go back and do a little grinding before daring to take him on again.

Agree, he's a real badass!
zlCfzSm3gtoD5OF_MO

Thoraxes

I personally love the new fusion style, though it does take getting used to. I can pick a demon that I know im getting fused, and maybe one that i know i want to keep, and ive got all my options available from there. If i want a specific demon for a special fusion, i can look it up and pick a cheap option using compendium demons. I can find specific races to get another specific race of demons available.

The new style of fusion is perfect for folks who have been megaten'ing for awhile.

The filtering options alone make it so much better than any other game.

Top Bottom