• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

DVCY201

For those who are playing the PS3 version, is the tearing as bad as it seems from the videos? I'm starting to think I should have ordered the 360 or PC version :(

I'm getting the 360 version after lecture today. If you want, I can PM you how well it runs? I don't know if that'll help your decision though.

If it's 2 then I'm fucked.

I think it's in Chapter 3. In the house that doctor enters on the second floor if i remember. You can also find a shotgun in the same level

No matches. No wonder why I'm having so much trouble.

I think using the
2 torches,the two rooms and the 2 explosive barrels
should be sufficient
I mean come on, that would be a level-design flaw...

so question for those who play the ps4 version. Is there away to adjust the AIM zoom camera? As soon as you aim, it zooms insanely. its kinda weird.

I see people talking about the PC and current gen versions but how about the PS3 one? Is it worth it?

I'm not really looking for a current gen/last gen comparison, rather I'd like to know if it looks good and runs well for PS3 standarts or is it a horrible, badly optimized, stuttery running piece of shit? I hope it's not, that's the only version I'd be able to get. I only heard about some screen tearing so far.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I see people talking about the PC and current gen versions but how about the PS3 one? Is it worth it?

I'm not really looking for a current gen/last gen comparison, rather I'd like to know if it looks good and runs well for PS3 standarts or is it a horrible, badly optimized, stuttery running piece of shit? I hope it's not, that's the only version I'd be able to get. I only heard about some screen tearing so far.

There was a person who complained that it looked bad, but IMO it's how much you want to play it versus what you're willing to give up to play it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Quick question for those playing on Survival. Do you feel that there are enough supplies to get through most situations, even if it is by the skin of your teeth, or can you get completely screwed?

-MD-

Quick question for those playing on Survival. Do you feel that there are enough supplies to get through most situations, even if it is by the skin of your teeth, or can you get completely screwed?

I've yet to run out of ammo on survival. I got real low in chapter 5 though, haven't played past that.

I'm getting the 360 version after lecture today. If you want, I can PM you how well it runs? I don't know if that'll help your decision though.

It's too late for that since they already shipped my PS3 copy. Also I've seen a video of the 360 version and it seems there's no tearing there. I guess I just want someone to tell me the PS3 it's not that bad after all :(

Taruranto

I played on survival and did fine. Use traps, abuse explosive rods and you'll be fine.

Sometimes you'll run out of ammos for the shotgun and gun, but the game will always give you them when you need them anyway.

Truant

Any way to buy this on euro PSN? Can't for the life of me find anything other than a "pre order bundle" that does nothing.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I've yet to run out of ammo on survival. I got real low in chapter 5 though, haven't played past that.

I played on survival and did fine. Use traps, abuse explosive rods and you'll be fine.

Sometimes you'll run out of ammos for the shotgun and gun, but the game will always give you them when you need them anyway.
Cool, that's what I was hoping. I'm usually pretty good at supply management but it sounded like this game was going to be more item starved than I expected.

greenfish

Banned
Pros

Good voice acting, excellent gameplay, somewhat semi decent audio, graphics are not that great but not horrible either

CONS

Think i'm gonna use duct tape on my monitor and vaseline just for the next-gen-console-cinematic experience. Also gonna force my gpu to drop fps down to 24 fps, you know movies right?!?!

Something is not right here, not when they enforce black bars, this is fucking pathetic and that whole "movie experience" is a fucking lie, no human being is that retarded to actually enforce that crap.

Also hear ps4 can't maintan 30 fps... what!? This game at best looks like a glorified ps3 at 1080p. I'm not a console user but looking at games like infamous 2/killzone the ps4 is more than capable.....

Man you guys think you have seen some bullshit; my amazon delivery arrived at my student accommodation's reception an hour ago when I was in the shower, by the time I got down the staff has already clocked out and security isn't authorized to hand it to me.

So that means I can only collect it tomorrow when the staff comes in 0_0

*put on suicide watch*

Are there faulty copies in the wild? Mine has been installing for 20 minutes and the disc just won't stop spinning. I waited half an hour and restarted the process once already.

FartOfWar

Banned
Really wish game experience and tech concerns were separate threads. Interested in the former but cant find it buried in all the framerate talk.

Fifty

One thing that bothers me, immersion-wise, is the icon of a brain that says "profile" (auto-saving my profile) appearing above the screen on the black bars every 5-10 minutes or so.

You can't turn it off, so it might be some Xbox One QA rule that autosave icons must appear when the game is saving, but it seems to be on the screen for an inordinately long amount of time compared to other games that autosave.

jacobeid

Banned
Man you guys think you have seen some bullshit; my amazon delivery arrived at my student accommodation's reception an hour ago when I was in the shower, by the time I got down the staff has already clocked out and security isn't authorized to hand it to me.

*put on suicide watch*

That's the worst. I live in an apartment complex that gets packages delivered to the main office. I hate when I have to work late and can't pick up my package until the next day. The worst is if I get a package on Saturday because the main office closes at 2pm, which means I typically have about an hour window to hope that delivery happens. If not, gotta wait until Monday.

One thing that bothers me, immersion-wise, is the icon of a brain that says "profile" (auto-saving my profile) appearing above the screen on the black bars every 5-10 minutes or so.

You can't turn it off, so it might be some Xbox One QA rule that autosave icons must appear when the game is saving, but it seems to be on the screen for an inordinately long amount of time compared to other games that autosave.

It is also on PS4. And it is definitely immersion-breaking.

I'm in chapter 6 playing on survival and i had 1-2 moments like that but NOT with BOSSES!. I say you'll be fine if you upgrade completely you handgun accuracy and your meele damage (and you always aim for the head) if you fall short on ammo.
Usually

-I always aim for stealth kills

-Draw as many enemies as possible in traps,flammable sources

-Meele a lot (meele upgrade damage is a huge plus)

-Disarm traps for crossbow ammo

-Aim for the head (critical and accuracy is a plus)

-Search every level for ammo, collectibles (destroying boxes, searching drawers,looting enemies, finding the "keys" etc)

Melee is really your last resort. I think I upgraded it once. I'd spend the points elsewhere personally.

I've fully upgraded meele and i do "Ken Fist" punches (heads are literally exploding by punching them)

Crazy...

ChrisV

The black bars argument is a funny one. I feel like it definitely adds to the cinematic feel of the game. Technically, with the black bars, you're seeing more, it just doesn't fill the screen. If you're one of the people complaining, does it bug when a movie has them too? Just curious. In film, it's the director's decision. I'm sure it's the same with this.

greenfish

Banned
Are all your settings on low/disabled?

7950 OC 3GB
i5 5Ghz
12GB ram
SSD

take a guess

The black bars argument is a funny one. I feel like it definitely adds to the cinematic feel of the game. Technically, with the black bars, you're seeing more, it just doesn't fill the screen. If you're one of the people complaining, does it bug when a movie has them too? Just curious. In film, it's the director's decision. I'm sure it's the same with this.

Your opinion is not a fact to be ENFORCED on a consumer. Put on some duct tape on your next game for that "cinematic" experience.

does it bug when a movie has them too? Just curious. In film, it's the director's decision. I'm sure it's the same with this

What....what!? I got nothing.. honestly I got nothing.

Go enlighten yourself, todays internet there's no reason to stay ignorant. A director does not put black bars on his film/digital product, jesus christ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anamorphic_format

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16:9

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widescreen#Film

Next game you're gonna play make sure it's used with duct tape and played at 24fps, movies right.

any chance the framerate on the ps4 will be patched later on?

Does anybody know for sure that the One version was patched for framerate? Anybody that has both copies able to tell if the One version runs better? I want to pick it up today but I'm weary on which console to buy it on, PS4 or One? Any suggestions? Anybody?

maneil99

Does anybody know for sure that the One version was patched for framerate? Anybody that has both copies able to tell if the One version runs better? I want to pick it up today but I'm weary on which console to buy it on, PS4 or One? Any suggestions? Anybody?

Go with PS4, if the Xbox One has received a performance patch so should the PS4.

Yibby

Hm, it's not the decision of the director, it's because Cinema Screens are 2.35:1 and your TV at home 1.77:1.
A movie in a theatre does not have any black bars.

Gaz_RB

*put on suicide watch*

Splinter Cell time.

Well that's awesome then... but what was the final upgrade cost?

I think 18.000. I got lucky, i used a key in one of the drawers and inside there were 2 keys! I used the 2 keys in two different drawers and inside there were gels worth of 10.000! I also had 8.500 so boom! fully upgraded in chapter 6!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Underwhelming experience so far.

I went into this pretty much 99% blind. I had heard one thing about there supposedly being no QTEs but other than that, nadda. Anyway:

• Atrocious camera. Omg. The shit RE6 caught for its camera, and TEW is so much worse. So much worse than pre-patch RE6.
  • Performance is really disappointing.
  • Pretty rough analog aiming. Again, reminiscent of the gaf bitching about Uncharted 3 pre-patch aiming, but again, this is so much worse. Same frigging use, but far more noticeable.
  • Disjointed, corny story so far.
  • Some pretty awesome gore. Gun combat isl visceral when you land shots. They have real weight, and tear into enemies convincingly. Love the hit reactions.
  • Super jank-city controls. The stealth is is almost funny after something like TLoU. Though the stealth kills are pretty cool. All the (lack of) animation transitions, crouch-walk, camera are pretty bad though.
  • My first death was a failed QTE. Give me a fucking break. It's the same shit as RE6 when you get grabbed, but at least in RE6 you could use both sticks and never fail. Lol... RE6 got soooo much shit for this and here they are again.

Idk man, idk.... have to play that entire shitty stealth section ever again because I failed a stupid QTE.

GravyButt

So I only got to chapter 2, but I need a huge break. So far I love it, but I have one major problem, even though the game warns you, but as some of you know I have a bad brain injury that made me epileptic.

The game tells you not to play as soon as you load it up. I wish I listened. It threw me into 2 seizures already. The actual gameplay doesnt, but the cutscenes so far have. Anyone that has played at least to the start of chapter 2 will understand which ones. I

It kind of stinks, but ill just close my eyes during cutscenes now on and just listen to them, because like I said, only cutscenes have gotten me so far
although your actual first gameplay with the flashing police lights in front of the asylum may have contributed to it as well.

Top Bottom