• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

-MD-

How about you run the fuck away if you see two weirdos standing up next to you. You continued to crank like a madman, did you?
So did I...

As soon as I walked up to those 2 bodies I tossed a match down and was like "yep, i bet a lot of people are gonna have a bad time here".

REmake prepared me.

Klyka

Banned
Ah I see, I'm going to have to up the difficulty if the rest will be this easy.

Well you encounter it a little bit before that fight so I was ready for it :p I was on casual but it's too easy so I'm going to up the difficulty.

"This game is so easy omg you guys omg i am so disappointed at how EASY this game is OMG they said it would be HARD but it's EASY"

Sets the game to CASUAL from the start.

Come on son, 2/10.

Coda

This game is making me pretty damn tense, almost to the point of not having too much fun so I guess it's achieving its goal.

AkuMifune

Banned
I'm on the 2nd chapter where you have to sneak past all of the guys at the bonfires. I'm finding it surprisingly hard as I can only take 2 hits and its difficult to stealth kill as your crouch walk speed is so slow. Finally got to the part where I have to open the gate and 2 guys just got up off the ground and killed me straight away.

Am I doing something wrong?

Burn them first. After a bit of trial and error it's possible to sneak all the way to that point without encountering any other guys. But if you want extra ammo it's worth it to try.

Ooops. Beaten worse than a victim hanging in a chainsaw butcher's kitchen.

I've played up to chapter 9 and decided to take a break for a bit. I don't have much to say about the performance as that isn't very important me, but the texture pop-in is noticeable and unfortunate on the PS4.

So far the game feels much more akin to RE4 or Dead Space than it does a classic survival horror games like RE1/2/3 or Silent Hill 1/2/3. If RE4 was 90% action and 10% horror, Evil Within is closer to 60/40. But there is a large emphasis on action still. I do like how many of the areas seem to have multiple ways they can be tackled as well as hidden secrets, as it encourages replay value. The pacing and encounter design are excellent as I would expect from a Mikami game. The game is very good at building tension, but not so much fear.

What does burinng bodies do? Im watching the GB quicklook, and they dont seem to know

Some enemies later in the game come back to life if you don't burn them,behead them or blow em up

Also if another enemy is standing close to the corpse and you toss a match on the corpse you burn both the corpse and the enemy nearby!

As soon as I walked up to those 2 bodies I tossed a match down and was like "yep, i bet a lot of people are gonna have a bad time here".

REmake prepared me.

I didn't see them in the first place! Will walk through the game like a paranoid now, watching every inch of the floors and walls.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The problem is that in some areas the "restricted" visual can hurt your gameplay, at last for me (the one that died 1X in chapter 1).

Just to put an example, in Chapter 2 there's the area with the
bridge
. There are some enemies nearby so you must stay hidden. To get a decent view of the sorroundings you must stand up but, since you can hear enemies all around you, you are sure that this is going to be dangerous. Design choice? Maybe, but I'm just saying a scenario where having black bars can creat some issue with the gameplay.

Plus, any command to peek around would have been great.
Yeah I totally agree, a peek command would be nice and its too zoomed in at save points too, the point of view obstructs your view sometimes too.

Jinjo

REmake prepared me.

Haha, I did the exact same thing. When I heard they were still alive I was like: so that was a trap.

I see through all your moves Mikami. Come at me.

I'm also very curious.

When is it _ever_ beneficial with black bars? You're seeing less, not more.

That's improper implementation, though.

If the game was DESIGNED with this aspect ration in mind, then the bars let you see more of the periphery.

If a film is shot in a widescreen format, and your TV is not built in that format (natively), then the bars help you see the movie in its original format:

Z5zwfPA.gif

If you would rather fill the entire screen, then you lose the original aspect ratio (and thus, the sides of the screen):

I don't know much about The Evil Within's development. Designing the game for this aspect ratio is different than designing it to be full screen, then slapping black bars on it.

Depends on the native aspect ratio of the game. You've just thrown black bars over the image.

Well, of course. I couldn't find a game with forced black bars. But the point still stands. When would it ever be beneficial with a smaller picture/less information?

Actually not sure that is accurate with this game. When I messed with the PC settings and made the black bars even bigger, I could see even MORE of Sebastions arms, made them smaller, viewed less.

That's because it changes the aspect ratio.

I just don't understand why people defend this, or even encourage it (?).

TheTurboFD

"This game is so easy omg you guys omg i am so disappointed at how EASY this game is OMG they said it would be HARD but it's EASY"

Sets the game to CASUAL from the start.

Come on son, 2/10.

I never said any of that , cmon bro the straws. I'm in love with the game.

I decided to lock the game to 30fps and run at 1620p downsampled. No drop in framerate (who would have guessed) and good IQ. But damn, those black bars are huge.

If a FOV fix comes out I'll use it in my next playthrough.

Do the black bars ever go away? I'm taking this back tomorrow anyway because it won't finish installing on my PS4 and just spins the disc constantly but if the bars don't go away I may just get a refund instead.

artsi

If the game was DESIGNED with this aspect ration in mind, then the bars let you see more of the periphery.

If a film is shot in a widescreen format, and your TV is not built in that format (natively), then the bars help you see the movie in its original format:

Z5zwfPA.gif

No, his implementation is right. This applies to movies yes since you can't replace content not caught on camera, but since it's a game we can opt to take those bars out from this image, replace it with actual content and keep it otherwise 100% same. No need to crop it like you did in the second picture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_of_view_in_video_games

That is like the worst way to enhance difficulty ever.

No. I think the purpose of this was to make new players follow the stealth approach. It was a game design purpose by Mikami.

Later in the game with all the upgrades,weapons and ammo it starts to feel more action oriented but balanced.

It's improper because you would see more of the weapon and your hands if it was in the correct aspect ratio, but the point still stands: you're missing out on picture space. As artsi stated above, since it's a game you can always add content to the black bars.

I'm well aware that the aspect ratio is changed. Doesn't change the fact that you get less details and a smaller picture. You can still achieve a bigger field of view with just that - a bigger FoV.

It's a lazy and a stupid design.

-MD-

No. I think the purpose of this was to make new players follow the stealth approach. It was a game design purpose by Mikami.

Later in the game with all the upgrades,weapons and ammo it starts to feel more action oriented but balanced.

The gun felt super accurate with even just 1-2 points put into it too. nothin to fuss about.

The review guide recommends playing on casual. Is it really that hard on 'normal'?

Normal isn't hard, I've yet to die to an enemy. If you're not terrible at video games I'd recommend normal for sure.

It's the games design so it won't go away.

Fair enough. Was really looking forward to this but I don't think I can be bothered anymore. I've spent 3 hours trying to get the disc to fully install and it just won't have it. Then to top it off the bars feel completely excessive, like I have half a screen to work with. Really disappointed with this in my brief experience. It's been battle after battle just to get it to work and even then it doesn't work well by the looks of things.

The bars and fps could deal with I guess but with the installing crap I just wanna see the back of it at this point.

The review guide recommends playing on casual. Is it really that hard on 'normal'?

Those review guides are for reviewers who can't play games, not because the game is hard. I actually find it almost too easy on medium difficulty.
Play on normal, it's perfect for a first playthrough.

The gun felt super accurate with even just 1-2 points put into it too. nothin to fuss about.

I don't know about mouse control, but i really got frustrated from the second Chapter with the DS4 analogues aiming.Especially when they run towards you or are moving left-right trying to trick you. So i went full stealth and got used to it. Now that i am more upgraded and i got used to aiming it feels a lot more enjoyable.

-MD-

I don't know about mouse control, but i really got frustrated from the second level with the DS4 analogues aiming.Especially when they run towards you or are moving left-right trying to trick you. So i went full stealth and got used to it. Now that i am more upgraded i got used to aiming it feels a lot more enjoyable.

The aiming is fairly difficult on a DS4 but I really like that, I switched to the mouse for a minute and it was 100% precise, game probably plays itself with a mouse.

Those review guides are for reviewers who can't play games, not because the game is hard. I actually find it almost too easy on medium difficulty.
Play on normal, it's perfect for a first playthrough.

Okay. Will do. Thanks.

I usually play a lot of games on hard, but survival horror and RPGs on normal.

It'll probably take me over a day to download, so I look forward to starting it tomorrow. Too bad I can't play Borderlands while DLing, because it's an online game.

No, his implementation is right. This applies to movies yes since you can't replace content not caught on camera, but since it's a game we can opt to take those bars out from this image, replace it with actual content and keep it otherwise 100% same. No need to crop it like you did in the second picture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_of_view_in_video_games

The second picture isn't cropped, though. That's the original image, simulating an aspect ratio.

I know it's different in video games--hence, my last statement on not knowing whether it was designed to be played in a specific aspect ratio/FOV, or if they just slapped bars on the picture.

In film, aspect ratio is a very specific choice and influences how the frame is composed. Not sure if that applies to games, really, since no frame is really "composed".

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
So you're saying they went with a more realistic approach in TEW? That doesn't make it shitty.

I wouldn't say either game aims shittily. I mean they are not Max Payne or anything but they get he job done. You can tell the aiming is a little off by design.

also:

sNKjGAc.png

I talked about this on stream last night lol

Yamibito

Please be accurate

Well, it's not making me feel ill and chugging like a bitch, just seems a lot smoother. Small download, didn't notice it was there until it said it installed. The patch notes say the performance and optimisation has been improved, so there's also that.

Is there any sort of collection mechanic like hidden treasure in RE4? Can you inspect all the shiny shit you get and then sell it for upgrades? That stuff was SO GOOD.

giphy.gif

Top Bottom