• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

That's the worst. I live in an apartment complex that gets packages delivered to the main office. I hate when I have to work late and can't pick up my package until the next day. The worst is if I get a package on Saturday because the main office closes at 2pm, which means I typically have about an hour window to hope that delivery happens. If not, gotta wait until Monday.

It's there right now.... Just sitting... ;_;

-MD-

So I only got to chapter 2, but I need a huge break. So far I love it, but I have one major problem, even though the game warns you, but as some of you know I have a bad brain injury that made me epileptic.

The game tells you not to play as soon as you load it up. I wish I listened. It threw me into 2 seizures already. The actual gameplay doesnt, but the cutscenes so far have. Anyone that has played at least to the start of chapter 2 will understand which ones. I

It kind of stinks, but ill just close my eyes during cutscenes now on and just listen to them, because like I said, only cutscenes have gotten me so far
although your actual first gameplay with the flashing police lights in front of the asylum may have contributed to it as well.

That's rough man, I hope you manage to play through the rest of it issue free. If you have to look away and want anything described feel free to ask, we'll help ya out.

greenfish

Banned
So I only got to chapter 2, but I need a huge break. So far I love it, but I have one major problem, even though the game warns you, but as some of you know I have a bad brain injury that made me epileptic.

The game tells you not to play as soon as you load it up. I wish I listened. It threw me into 2 seizures already. The actual gameplay doesnt, but the cutscenes so far have. Anyone that has played at least to the start of chapter 2 will understand which ones. I

It kind of stinks, but ill just close my eyes during cutscenes now on and just listen to them, because like I said, only cutscenes have gotten me so far
although your actual first gameplay with the flashing police lights in front of the asylum may have contributed to it as well.

Sorry to hear that, maybe you should take a rest and play later on.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Pros

Good voice acting, excellent gameplay, somewhat semi decent audio, graphics are not that great but not horrible either

CONS

Think i'm gonna use duct tape on my monitor and vaseline just for the next-gen-console-cinematic experience. Also gonna force my gpu to drop fps down to 24 fps, you know movies right?!?!

Something is not right here, not when they enforce black bars, this is fucking pathetic and that whole "movie experience" is a fucking lie, no human being is that retarded to actually enforce that crap.

Also hear ps4 can't maintan 30 fps... what!? This game at best looks like a glorified ps3 at 1080p. I'm not a console user but looking at games like infamous 2/killzone the ps4 is more than capable.....
Judging by the size of duct tape that'll probably cover your whole monitor?
I'm all for opinions and stuff but the bolded, What was the actual point of that?
Also
RE4Wii.jpg

It not his first game to have black bars.

Andrew.

Banned
Really wish game experience and tech concerns were separate threads. Interested in the former but cant find it buried in all the framerate talk.

Fucking exactly.

"Does it break the game? Does it make it virtually unplayable? No? Then shut up and get on with actual game discussion."

I played Silent Hill Downpour to make this game look about millions of miles ahead, cant wait.

Heh, I just played Siren: Blood Curse. Loved it, but if people are complaining about TEW's lack of polish and poor performance they need to check out this game and get some perspective, hah.

So, I've been on a pretty big blackout for this game. As a huge Mikami fan (and RE4) fan, whats the best difficulty to start on? It seems like Survival is the way to go (is that the hardest difficulty available at the start?).

Can I play this like I would RE4 or is the stealth approach recommended? As an aside, absolutely hate Tuesday releases. My longest class days are Tuesdays... =(

The black bars argument is a funny one. I feel like it definitely adds to the cinematic feel of the game. Technically, with the black bars, you're seeing more, it just doesn't fill the screen. If you're one of the people complaining, does it bug when a movie has them too? Just curious. In film, it's the director's decision. I'm sure it's the same with this.

I think you're confused as to the purpose of what black bars are for.

It does seem like an odd decision for a video game though. The developer can hide behind the excuse of "its artistic", drawing on the fact that letterboxed movies preserved the original directors vision, but when your output has a pretty much constant aspect ratio, it seems forced. Judging by all of the complaints of framerate, I'm guessing those black bars have another use....

I'm all for opinions and stuff but the bolded, What was the actual point of that?
Also
RE4Wii.jpg

That game came out when most people had 4:3 screens. It's much more constricting when you have black bars on a 16:9 screen. Also, the black bars in TEW look like they take up much more screen space.

-MD-

So, I've been on a pretty big blackout for this game. As a huge Mikami fan (and RE4) fan, whats the best difficulty to start on? It seems like Survival is the way to go (is that the hardest difficulty available at the start?).

Can I play this like I would RE4 or is the stealth approach recommended? As an aside, absolutely hate Tuesday releases. My longest class days are Tuesdays... =(

Survival is the hardest at the start and no you can't play it like RE4, stealth is recommended.

Casual might play a bit more like RE4 though, not sure what the resource differences are.

greenfish

Banned
Also
RE4Wii.jpg

Because shit like this does not happen on native pc games that's why. Also Resident Evil 4 is from 2005, just saying. At that time we had tons of 4.3 monitors and (more important) less HDTVS.

If players want black bars to hide their graphics, then go into options, just don't force that bullshit on the rest of us.

I'm not gonna be suprised when the next game arrives and it's locked to 24fps for that "experience".

Gurish

Xbox One owners, can't you see patch details or history like on PS4? does it say anything about performance issues fix?

Yes and yes

funkypie

Banned
Underwhelming experience so far.

I went into this pretty much 99% blind. I had heard one thing about there supposedly being no QTEs but other than that, nadda. Anyway:

• Atrocious camera. Omg. The shit RE6 caught for its camera, and TEW is so much worse. So much worse than pre-patch RE6.
  • Performance is really disappointing.
  • Pretty rough analog aiming. Again, reminiscent of the gaf bitching about Uncharted 3 pre-patch aiming, but again, this is so much worse. Same frigging use, but far more noticeable.
  • Disjointed, corny story so far.
  • Some pretty awesome gore. Gun combat isl visceral when you land shots. They have real weight, and tear into enemies convincingly. Love the hit reactions.
  • Super jank-city controls. The stealth is is almost funny after something like TLoU. Though the stealth kills are pretty cool. All the (lack of) animation transitions, crouch-walk, camera are pretty bad though.
  • My first death was a failed QTE. Give me a fucking break. It's the same shit as RE6 when you get grabbed, but at least in RE6 you could use both sticks and never fail. Lol... RE6 got soooo much shit for this and here they are again.

Idk man, idk.... have to play that entire shitty stealth section ever again because I failed a stupid QTE.

The aiming is supposed to be shitty to make it more difficult.

GravyButt

Thanks guys. Yah def going to take a few hour break. Now I got an insane migraine, and feel the cluster headaches coming (I get an aura effect before they start.)

I think Ill be able to play the game fine, just have to be smart about cutscenes. I had this same issue with Infamous second son. Most powers were fine, but I had to stop playing once you got
neon
powers. The color trail totally jacked my shit up.

Oh well, Ill figure it out. I dont like being held down, and this injury has already taken so much from me, its not going to take anymore of the things I enjoy!

PS: question about a cutscene ill put it in the spoiler tag for someone to answer

As soon as you escape the chainsaw guy in chapter one, an ambulance picks you up. I totally missed wtf happened until you end up with the nurse and hooked up to that chair. Anyone want to explain? Then after that I believe I ended up in the woods, sorry if im confusing it, im a little dazed right now.

jonezer4

Technically, with the black bars, you're seeing more, it just doesn't fill the screen.

Not true. You're seeing "wider", but definitely not "more". If that black bars disappeared, you'd be seeing "more" because your FOV would remain just as wide as it is, while also getting taller.

-MD-

PS: question about a cutscene ill put it in the spoiler tag for someone to answer

As soon as you escape the chainsaw guy in chapter one, an ambulance picks you up. I totally missed wtf happened until you end up with the nurse and hooked up to that chair. Anyone want to explain? Then after that I believe I ended up in the woods, sorry if im confusing it, im a little dazed right now.

The guy that initially drove you to the hospital swings the van around and tells you to hop in, Julie is in there too, Joseph got left behind. You're just booking it through the city and everything is falling apart, the road is crumbling behind you and you crash or something and end up in the forest.

The black bars argument is a funny one. I feel like it definitely adds to the cinematic feel of the game. Technically, with the black bars, you're seeing more, it just doesn't fill the screen. If you're one of the people complaining, does it bug when a movie has them too? Just curious. In film, it's the director's decision. I'm sure it's the same with this.

I'm also very curious.

When is it _ever_ beneficial with black bars? You're seeing less, not more.

GravyButt

The guy that initially drove you to the hospital swings the van around and tells you to hop in, Julie is in there too, Joseph got left behind. You're just booking it through the city and everything is falling apart, the road is crumbling behind you and you crash or something and end up in the forest.

Thank you! I really appreciate it.

Coda

I really just want tons of shotgun ammo as always to have fun. Hopefully down the line you get at least like 10-20 bullets at a time.

I'm also very curious.

Actually not sure that is accurate with this game. When I messed with the PC settings and made the black bars even bigger, I could see even MORE of Sebastions arms, made them smaller, viewed less.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Because shit like this does not happen on native pc games that's why. Also Resident Evil 4 is from 2005, just saying. At that time we had tons of 4.3 monitors and (more important) less HDTVS

I'm not gonna be suprised when the next game arrives and it's locked to 24fps for that "experience".
probably, but it was a design choice just like we have to put up with black bars in movies because the director decided he wanted that ratio, great for the cinema but at home?
Makes more sense when you see a film switch between the two to get the scope the director intended, but it's the same with IMAX presentations, ie The Dark Knight
Why not have the whole film in IMAX, why switch between the two?
The director has complete control how it's presented both at the cinema and at home, it is forced because thats how they want you to see it.
I wouldn't have done it myself, but hey thats what Mikami wanted.

I'm also very curious.

that's not how it works

ChrisV

Hm, it's not the decision of the director, it's because Cinema Screens are 2.35:1 and your TV at home 1.77:1.
A movie in a theatre does not have any black bars.

The screen size in a theater can change. That's why on widescreen TV, some movies have black bars on them, and some don't. It's the director's choice.

TheTurboFD

You're playing on casual.

On Survivor once you catch her in a furnace the lever can't be used anymore and you have to lure her into the other fire traps.

Ah I see, I'm going to have to up the difficulty if the rest will be this easy.

Was that really your first time encountering that boss? cause I'm pretty sure most people won't be reacting the way you did if so lol. Also what difficulty is this on? I saw you got hit, but usually from my experience, once she gets you on survival, it's one and done.

Well you encounter it a little bit before that fight so I was ready for it :p I was on casual but it's too easy so I'm going to up the difficulty.

Actually not sure that is accurate with this game. When I messed with the PC settings and made the black bars even bigger, I could see even MORE of Sebastions arms, made them smaller, viewed less.

so the game is actually mooshing (technical term) everything in between the black bars- they are not overlapping (like ctw0e's gif)... interesting.

so without them the fov, and image looks weird right?

So I just downloaded a patch on my PS4 and suddenly it doesn't run like shit. Miracle patch is saving me from a migraine.

Really? How big was the file?

so the game is actually mooshing (technical term) everything in between the black bars- they are not overlapping (like ctw0e's gif)... interesting.

so without them the fov, and image looks weird right?

Just seemed like if I made the bars bigger I saw more but it was squished as hell, made them dissapear and saw less but all my screen was being used. I'd have to double check, as I did this late last night before going to bed.

You're kidding yourself if you think the black bars are anything but a way to squeeze more performance out of what is obviously a poorly optimized game.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm on the 2nd chapter where you have to sneak past all of the guys at the bonfires. I'm finding it surprisingly hard as I can only take 2 hits and its difficult to stealth kill as your crouch walk speed is so slow. Finally got to the part where I have to open the gate and 2 guys just got up off the ground and killed me straight away.

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm on the 2nd chapter where you have to sneak past all of the guys at the bonfires. I'm finding it surprisingly hard as I can only take 2 hits and its difficult to stealth kill as your crouch walk speed is so slow. Finally got to the part where I have to open the gate and 2 guys just got up off the ground and killed me straight away.

Yeah...burn them first.

-MD-

Burn the bodies with a match.

Also yes the crouch is super slow, I position myself so i'll be as close as possible and as soon as they turn around i go for it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Yeah...burn them first.

Burn the bodies with a match.

thanks for the replies, that was the plan but I had no matches. Should I have tried to kill everyone in the area first for resources. I felt so underpowered that I assumed I had to sneak.

Edit, there was a patch ready when I installed the game (PS4 version) and I haven't had any problems. Like I said I'm only on Ch. 2 though

How about you run the fuck away if you see two weirdos standing up next to you. You continued to crank like a madman, did you?
So did I...

Lucael

probably, but it was a design choice just like we have to put up with black bars in movies because the director decided he wanted that ratio, great for the cinema but at home?
Makes more sense when you see a film switch between the two to get the scope the director intended, but it's the same with IMAX presentations, ie The Dark Knight
Why not have the whole film in IMAX, why switch between the two?
The director has complete control how it's presented both at the cinema and at home, it is forced because thats how they want you to see it.
I wouldn't have done it myself, but hey thats what Mikami wanted.

that's not how it works

The problem is that in some areas the "restricted" visual can hurt your gameplay, at last for me (the one that died 1X in chapter 1).

Just to put an example, in Chapter 2 there's the area with the
bridge
. There are some enemies nearby so you must stay hidden. To get a decent view of the sorroundings you must stand up but, since you can hear enemies all around you, you are sure that this is going to be dangerous. Design choice? Maybe, but I'm just saying a scenario where having black bars can creat some issue with the gameplay.

Plus, any command to peek around would have been great.

Top Bottom