• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

I wouldn't say either game aims shittily. I mean they are not Max Payne or anything but they get he job done. You can tell the aiming is a little off by design.

also:

sNKjGAc.png

I talked about this on stream last night lol

Ah, i see. Guess i'll find out for myself how i feel about it when my copy from gamefly shows up.

I'm not sure how I feel about adding a stealth-heavy aspect to survival horror. As with all stealth games, I find myself reloading a lot in order to get a "perfect" run where I don't lose any health or ammo. Kills the immersion.

-MD-

Is there any sort of collection mechanic like hidden treasure in RE4? Can you inspect all the shiny shit you get and then sell it for upgrades? That stuff was SO GOOD.

giphy.gif

You collect green gel that you use as currency hidden all over the place. Map fragements that work toward unlocking something but I don't believe anyone knows what it is yet. Newspapers and notebook entries etc.

I'm not sure how I feel about adding a stealth-heavy aspect to survival horror. As with all stealth games, I find myself reloading a lot in order to get a "perfect" run where I don't lose any health or ammo. Kills the immersion.

Stop restarting, you're not being ranked or evaluated.

psychotron

Those with PS4 copies, just how horrible is the framerate? Is this a constant thing or just in certain areas? I'm wondering if I should even start playing yet. I still went with the PS4 version because I can't believe they'd let it run like shit next to the xbone and not patch it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

Mikami may of done it to get out of it being a blood bath. This makes some sense with a gore mode DLC for Japan. Maybe he wanted players to feel there was a threat, but they didn't always need to shoot it.

It feels more like "let's get out of here" versus "COME AT ME DEMON SPAWN".

Those with PS4 copies, just how horrible is the framerate? Is this a constant thing or just in certain areas? I'm wondering if I should even start playing yet. I still went with the PS4 version because I can't believe they'd let it run like shit next to the xbone and not patch it.
Has that been actually verified? I've read through the thread and have yet to see anyone provide any real evidence this is the case. Is there a comparison or something?

I have the PS4 pre-ordered but I'd switch it to the One in a heartbeat if anyone could actually confirm this.

Is there any sort of collection mechanic like hidden treasure in RE4? Can you inspect all the shiny shit you get and then sell it for upgrades? That stuff was SO GOOD.

giphy.gif

You collect green gel that you use as currency hidden all over the place. Map fragements that work toward unlocking something but I don't believe anyone knows what it is yet. Newspapers and notebook entries etc.

Also keys. You can look for keys which can open safes in your "upgrade hostpital" of whatever that is. I bet there can be something valuable in them. So far I only got a syringe. lol

Scoot2005

Banned
I'll be curious to see the Digital Foundry stuff. Getting on PS4 in a few moments but I'm thinking about switching.

Are you trying to DL it off PSN? Sometimes they don't update the stuff until later on Tuesday (that includes dlc).

I just got it. Took them long enough.

Stop restarting, you're not being ranked or evaluated.

It's less about being ranked and more about "I could totally save those 2 bullets by stealth killing that guy if I tried again." Then, of course, I end up with maxed out bullets. The life of a videogame hoarder.

See my post here

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=134269094

Also i already have installed the 70-something MB update since yesterday. Dunno if there's another update

Also i noticed really poor textures on walls when i was opening some doors but that was very rare and i only noticed that in chapter 5

Scoot2005

Banned
In chapter 2
how the hell do I get past the wooden door with the crank. The one that has 2 Haunted revive when you activate the crank.

jacobeid

Banned
I'm sitting here with my PS4 copy and I'm not sure if I should open it up or wait to see more impressions from the patch. I wouldn't have any qualms about playing this on XB1 if it's a superior experience. Seems bizarre though.

Edit: Fuck it. Opened it up. I don't want to wait to ship my copy back to Amazon.

No matches.

Run away!

And then, when they stop following you, search the place for something.
Are there any traps still hanging around? Lure them in.
And in case you didn't know (I didn't know either at first):
Torches immediately burn the enemies and kill them for good.
Use them!

Aces&Eights

It's less about being ranked and more about "I could totally save those 2 bullets by stealth killing that guy if I tried again." Then, of course, I end up with maxed out bullets. The life of a videogame hoarder.

Man, this is so me. I'll replay a 45 minute level to save 1 bullet.

I recall them saying the player would be able to create their own traps very early on. Did they officially say they axed that at some point and I just missed it?

How does the multiplayer in this game work? I actually somehow missed the fact that it had multiplayer at all.

EDIT - wait, never mind, I misread some tweets.

JimPanzer

cleared chapter 2 having a blast with the game, they really nailed the atmosphere.
aside from the framerate issues zero complaints. hope they patch those though.

kick51

Banned
I wouldn't say either game aims shittily. I mean they are not Max Payne or anything but they get he job done. You can tell the aiming is a little off by design.

also:

sNKjGAc.png

I talked about this on stream last night lol

Shotgun blast to the head = falls over but gets right back up

A lit match = insta-kill with splash damage, incinerating anything else touching the downed enemy

Dead

well not really...yet
Holy shit

A full color multi page instruction manual

and a reversible cover

thank you based mikami

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I recall them saying the player would be able to create their own traps very early on. Did they officially say they axed that at some point and I just missed it?

It was all put into the agony crossbow, which most bolts can be used as traps you can stick to the map.

Taruranto

I think most of my deaths were the chase sequences with 1HKO mechanics (too slow to turn, wops, you are dead) and me killing myself when I realized I used too many healing items/ammos/etc.

Nothing like that. You can exploit the traps around the levels, though.

TMC

I'm going into this completely blind. All I really know is that it is a survival horror game with stealth mixed in. This sounds great to me. I hope I am not disappointed!

Artex

Banned
I'm so on the fence. How bad is the framerate? If this were 60fps I'd probably buy it, so tell me GAF how bad is it? Does it hinder enjoyment or are people nitpicking?

Top Bottom