• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

JimPanzer

I'm so on the fence. How bad is the framerate? If this were 60fps I'd probably buy it, so tell me GAF how bad is it? Does it hinder enjoyment or are people nitpicking?

nah, I'm pretty picky about that kinda stuff as I'm normally playing on PC (no graphics card atm), and I enjoyed the first two chapters alot!

Serick

Married Member
Do we have any sort of opinions on the X1 vs PS4 version? Picking up my copy after work and would like to have the one with the least frame rate issues.

Neiteio

On the fence here. How would this game run with the following:

- GeForce GTX560M (2GB VRAM)
- Windows 7, 64-bit, i7
- 8GB RAM

I'd be playing at 1600x900 (unless I play through the TV, then it'd be 1080p).

Any ideas?

did anyone elses double barrel shotgun disappear from the inventory and what are you guys upgrading?

On the inventory screen you can switch back and forth between the two types of shotguns. Confused me too. On an xbox controller the button is x.

I'm probably upgrading stamina/matches/life first, then focus on a gun.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Can you spoil mark what your refering to? I really have no idea what your talking about.

I'm a bit confused too. I'm not there yet so I can't say at all, but I know Chapter 9 is the chapter the demo area (mansion) is, and I can say from playing that part that was not trial and error at all.

The one hit kills by the ghost in chapter 9 and the "machines" in chapter 10
. I love this game, the atmosphere is still fantastic, the pacing is great but I hate trial & error :/

Avoid him is key, and when the blue screen appears, if you hear the rining sound getting louder, that means he is closer
I didn't think it was that trial and error, as for the machines. Just takes being patient, and watching for the patterns. [/spoiler] but I can see why people could get frustrated at that type of gameplay. Sorry to hear. Hopefully you enjoy the rest after chapter 10.

wow,... you must be shitting me.
Day light, shooting heavy sections with an AI partner
. Just when I thought this game couldn't be more disappointing, it literally turns into fucking Resident Evil 5... this must be a joke. What the fuck man

george_us

Barely 10 minutes into Chapter 1 and this game is already subverting modern video game tropes.

Me: "Oh sweet, just got a knife. Now all I have to do is stealth kill this dude and get out of here

*Tries to stealth kill dude. Gets brutally murdered

Game: Lol nope

wow,... you must be shitting me.
Day light, shooting heavy sections with an AI partner
. Just when I thought this game couldn't be more disappointing, it literally turns into fucking Resident Evil 5... this must be a joke. What the fuck man

Yeah, I'm not happy with this game at all. I'm really dissapointed so far. The game is not even scary. I was freaking terrified of Alien Isolation. This game is more like..."oh, I have seen this in Resident Evil 4 already"...meh. As far as story goes, I could care less about the main character and the side characters are just there to be there.

EDIT: I wish I could change the FOV. It is freaking terrible. I'm playing on PC, btw

Playing on Survival. This game is kinda hard lol. OLDSCHOOLS.

I tried that and couldn't hit. Does it only work while fighting or can you burn corpses with it?

Only fighting. I'm surprised you coudn't hit. Bare in mind that once you hit the enemy he will be burned and you'll lose your torch. You only use it once like the bottles.

Barely 10 minutes into Chapter 1 and this game is already subverting modern video game tropes.

Me: "Oh sweet, just got a knife. Now all I have to do is stealth kill this dude and get out of here

I made the same mistake ^^

Just started. Framerate seems meh so far.

Right after you get the keys and go through that first door, LIGHT SOURCES DON'T SHOW UP IF THEY ARE OBSCURED BY THE BLACK BARS. Like, what the fuck?

I was turning a light on and off by moving the camera to put the light in and outside the blackbars. Really shoddy.

So does the Fighting Chance pack give you any unique items that otherwise aren't in the game? Or is it just giving you more items/giving you items sooner that you otherwise would find in the game in order to make it easier?

rapid32.5

On the inventory screen you can switch back and forth between the two types of shotguns. Confused me too. On an xbox controller the button is x.

I'm probably upgrading stamina/matches/life first, then focus on a gun.
thanks, It's the square button on the PS4. I have upgraded my health bar 4 times and the syringe once, wasted 2 upgrades on accuracy I think.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Quick question! What happens if I don't burn the bodies?

Depends. If a body doesn't respond when you burn it, then it was dead-dead. If a body starts acting up when you burn it, then it was going to come back alive with full health after a period of time. Sometimes just moments later, sometimes a bit later. They're usually more aggressive after you've killed them once, though.

Quick question! What happens if I don't burn the bodies?

tumblr_mi7u7gttne1rm7snbo1_500.gif

J4g3r

Haha, EXACT same thing happened to me.

I'm only on chapter 2, but the melee sucks big time. I have a knife I can insta kill enemies with if I'm sneaking, but if I'm going straight for them I can't do shit. Terrible game design. Other than that it's pretty good so far.

Haha, I bet most people will do that.

Artex

Banned
Just started. Framerate seems meh so far.

Right after you get the keys and go through that first door, LIGHT SOURCES DON'T SHOW UP IF THEY ARE OBSCURED BY THE BLACK BARS. Like, what the fuck?

I was turning a light on and off by moving the camera to put the light in and outside the blackbars. Really shoddy.

Framerate and things like this are turning me off. :/ Not sure if buy.

Okay I need help in chapter 10.
How am I supposed to kill (?) the two big enemies? There's a gate I have to open but I don't have the time to do this.

If you don't have the resources to kill them, be sure to get them to chase you to the other side. If I remember correctly, the door can be worked on little by little. Unless I'm thinking of a different part.

Yeah, I'm not happy with this game at all. I'm really dissapointed so far. The game is not even scary. I was freaking terrified of Alien Isolation. This game is more like..."oh, I have seen this in Resident Evil 4 already"...meh. As far as story goes, I could care less about the main character and the side characters are just there to be there.

EDIT: I wish I could change the FOV. It is freaking terrible. I'm playing on PC, btw

I feel there's some potential here and there, some minor moments of actual decent horror ideas, but it's brought down by pretty lame RE4 gameplay that doesn't suit the themes at all. ,,Oh boy, some boss map with big red barrels lying in each corner *yawn*''. And quite honestly, the parts that still tried to be scary in RE4 were much scarier than anything in this so far (after chapter 1). But yeah, as I've said, the RE5-esque parts take the cake so far. I can't believe what I'm playing, after people tried to sell this as a return to horror. Story is the only reason I keep playing for now though.

Now I might just re-buy the REmake next year to not be too mad about this, unless there's a major 180 incoming.

I'm only on chapter 2, but the melee sucks big time. I have a knife I can insta kill enemies with if I'm sneaking, but if I'm going straight for them I can't do shit. Terrible game design. Other than that it's pretty good so far.

Haha, I bet most people will do that.

Throw a bottle in their face. Lets you beat them down with melee.

Holy shit! The opening was disappointing, but once level 2 starts and you are out in the woods...I get those RESI 4 vibes. The foliage, it's dark, distant thunder, no idea where to go or what's gonna happen....THIS is want I want from these games. Thunder and woods should be mandatory :D Just started chapter 3...loving it so far. I'm very aware of framerate issues, but you're moving slow, so I hardly notice it and when I do, the atmosphere is so awesome that I deal with it.

Top Bottom