• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

If you don't have the resources to kill them, be sure to get them to chase you to the other side. If I remember correctly, the door can be worked on little by little. Unless I'm thinking of a different part.

Yeah
I had two ice bolts left so I freezed them and managed to open the door
. That was very close....chapter 10 is hard but it's also the best chapter of the game so far.

Played up to the (chapter 5)
spider lady boss fight
. Found it better, but cant help but think that most of my enjoyment came from shooting the hordes during the
Juli in the tank
part. The combat just seems so much more satisfying than stealth, which isn't exactly helped by stealth having one animation every time, and shooting having dynamic enemy damage that looks fucking awesome.

Also, it's falling into the Outlast problem of having most of it's horror derived from jump scares like that ridiculously obvious (chapter 3)
body with the keys
. I really think this game would be better if it was more Resident Evil 4, there's just so much more effort put in to the action gameplay.

Game is waiting for me at home. Still have to wait to get off work and put the kids to bed.... basically I wont be playing this for like another 9 hours :(

Played up to the (chapter 5)
spider lady boss fight
. Found it better, but cant help but think that most of my enjoyment came from shooting the hordes during the
Juli in the tank
part. The combat just seems so much more satisfying than stealth, which isn't exactly helped by stealth having one animation every time, and shooting having dynamic enemy damage that looks fucking awesome.

Also, it's falling into the Outlast problem of having most of it's horror derived from jump scares like that ridiculously obvious (chapter 3)
body with the keys
. I really think this game would be better if it was more Resident Evil 4, there's just so much more effort put in to the action gameplay.

You'll probably enjoy the last third of the game much more.

Just beat Chapter 3. Omg these RE4 feels! It took me over an hour just to clear one small village area of nasties.

Also, instakilling an enemy by burning the hay bale next to them probably won't ever get old

Was playing chapter 2, taking my time and doing really well. Feeling comfortable, I go to run towards the objective and set off a trip mine. #rekt

Enjoying it so far! It's janky as fuck but I kind of expected it to be. This game really doesn't want you to succeed.

Looks gorgeous on PS4. The lighting is unreal, sortof justifies the ok framerate (it's nothing horrible so far, but you definitely notice that it isn't smooth.)

Quite a bit of texture pop in, especially during cutscenes. Dialogue doesn't match up with mouths well, seems like the VO was done cheaply. I'm not a fan of the VO in general, although Jackie Earle Haley will probably be fine. I liked the original voices way better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_uJb53F9No

Looking forward to digging into this game tonight, and restarting scenarios endlessly.

Can somebody show it? I bought digital.

CUMfLxIh.jpg

Reedirect

This is probably the first time I have a problem with a letterbox. Don't mind it in "filmic" games like Beyond, but it just seems totally unnecessary here.

Carbonox

I fucking hate the
invisible
enemies. I use the stun arrow cos it floors them in one hit allowing me to light them up with a match but fuck me can it be a pain even hitting them.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Beginning of Chapter 5, "I have so much ammo. This game is a cakewalk." Travolta strut into first area.

End of chapter 5, running around in circles, no ammo, begging the AI partner to shoot the enemies.

gdt

Man, you guys didn't like chapter 1/2? Holy hell I loved them. Fucking dripping with atmosphere. The gunplay is great too, what little of it I've done. Sneaking around is okay.

I fucking hate the
invisible
enemies. I use the stun arrow cos it floors them in one hit allowing me to light them up with a match but fuck me can it be a pain even hitting them.

Be happy, you really only have to worry about them in
that chapter

I love this art (it was the one I chose when they had a vote for the reversible cover), but at least on my copy, the title isn't centered on the spine. It's kind of off, more towards the front, and it bugs me.

Does the big T (The Evil Within) cover the breadth of the spine?. That's the correct position

Early game question...

When do you get the agony crossbow? I have lots of bolts but I haven't found it yet.

Chapter

At the house the doctor enters to lure the enemies

Mupod

My detailed chapter 3 experience, since I'm stuck at work and can't play the game:

I had a grand total of 4 handgun bullets to my name, wasn't sure whether the game wanted me to keep with the stealth approach or actually start fighting. Moved forward carefully, got spotted by the asshole with a rifle and moved into the alley on the left. Got jumped by an enemy in close quarters, took him out only to realize that 3 others had shown up to the party while I was zoomed in.

Ran away screaming like a little girl and stumbled across a shotgun. Used shotgun to wipe out my assailants and started exploring the area. Found the chain I needed to break, the agony crossbow and a couple more bullets.

Started moving backwards through the area and heard a chainsaw man. Figured I'd need to do something with him to open up the gate, and started exploring the barn he was chained up in. Or so I thought. As soon as I got near him, he broke free and started chasing me back where I came from - I decided to lead him to the chain and see if he'd break it. I look back to see if he's following me, and he is, but he's also got like 15 not-ganados behind him what the fuck. Figure I'm fucked anyways, so I dance around the chain to see if he'll break it, get sawed in half.

Round 2: move forward the same way, except this time I axe the rifle man a question and take his head clean off. I take out the asshole who got attracted by the commotion with my handful of bullets, grab the crossbow and shotgun out of the building, and disarm a bunch of traps to make bolts. Also discovered some levers that trigger traps in the area, and decide to lead chainsaw dick into them.

I walk into his barn, prepare myself, and then...nothing. He's chained up and uncooperative. So I climb up the ladders, clear the area out, and start dropping explosive darts on his head. I have no idea if they actually did damage or not, he picks up his chainsaw and breaks free. I fire as many bolts as I can at him, but he keeps coming. Now I've got a pissed off chainsaw man climbing ladders and disregarding my shotgun blasts while enemies come out of the woodwork after me. I somehow juke past him on a narrow pathway, run down the ladders and back out into the street. It takes him a while but he follows me out to the trapped house.

I lead him over to the spike traps, pull the lever, and apparently I wasn't fast enough because oh god he's on top of me. Survive with a sliver of health and retreat further into the building, and ready my last explosive bolt. I was expecting to die from splash damage but apparently that last bolt was enough, and chainsaw man goes down.

I move back into the town area and all the 'zombies' are now gone. So I'm free to loot errythang. I head back to the save point once or twice, buy a health upgrade to fill my HP and call it a night.

In retrospect I wonder if the harpoons would work on chainsaw man. Didn't seem possible to catch him in the trap without immobilizing him somehow. There was a whole other trapped building I could've used too.

It was such a memorable experience, even though it was basically the RE4 village fight part deux. If the rest of the game can deliver like this I'll be very happy.

Man, you guys didn't like chapter 1/2? Holy hell I loved them. Fucking dripping with atmosphere. The gunplay is great too, what little of it I've done. Sneaking around is okay.

I loved them because it introduced the stealth mechanics in a non flashy "PLEASE PRESS THIS TO DO THIS" kind of way. That and well atmosphere is fantastic. I'm at the end of CH9, life got in the way earlier but moving forward now. I don't get the people that complain about the aiming really :/ Sebastian supposed to suck ass unless you upgrade the critical hits in weapons, accuracy in the handgun and what not. I see someone has upgraded their entire melee damage and that gave them an entire new way of playing so I wasn't wrong when I said that people who will upgrade different kind of things will have a different type of experience and how they approach enemies in terms of gameplay. Love it.

Does the big T (The Evil Within) covers the breath of the spine?. That's the correct position

Nope. The top of the T is on the curve towards the front of the case. There's absolutely no wiggle room to adjust it inside the plastic either. XB1 version.

Oh well, the slipcover hides it anyway. Not something I'll lose sleep over.

Tak3n

Banned
struggling with those black bars :(

Spent chapter one thinking WTF, felt like I was on set in a Hostel Movie!, chapter 2 now and it is growing on me

Top Bottom