• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Finally home with the game and I'm too depressed to even put in my PS4. Maybe I'll take a nap or something and see how I feel.

It's not like this is America's Got Talent or anything. There are a handful of respected individuals enjoying this title as we speak. Those who didn't like it are just justifying other people for not enjoying it.

Thoughts on The Evil Within? I can imagine very high and very low reviews for this. I love it, but it's def not for everyone.
I don't quote this guy, but PewDiePie said that.

There just needs to be a middle ground anymore instead of some rough numbers.

If you're depressed then yeah get some food, take a nap, sing a song, dance, etc... before hand. I'm waiting for the sun to go down a bit. It's bright outside.

antitrop

This is definitely not the game to play when you're feeling depressed, lol. Hope you feel better.

The content of stuff doesn't bother me, I just need something to take my mind off life. Most of the time I don't want to do anything. PTSD is a wild motherfucker I never could have even begun to imagine what it was like, and I suffered "normal depression" in high school.

Reading impressions makes me feel better, anyway. It's very frustrating and sad. :( I'm staring at the game I've been waiting years for and I can't even bring myself to turn on the TV.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Man, y'all having such a great time makes me want to pick up the game this weekend. I've never played a survival horror game though...

Patroclos

Banned
2615436-4775042571-insid.jpg

higher res for you homies

Both covers are actually great. Prefer this one though. I wish they gave the option to pick on digital copies.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The content of stuff doesn't bother me, I just need something to take my mind off life. Most of the time I don't want to do anything. PTSD is a wild motherfucker I never could have even begun to imagine what it was like.

Reading impressions makes me feel better, anyway. It's very frustrating and sad. :( I'm staring at the game I've been waiting literally years for and I can't even bring myself to turn on the TV.

I've been like that before. Mainly because I had to sort out a few things. Family and friends can always be an icebreaker too. I know I can't enjoy something if I know a person is upset or they aren't doing alright. Sometimes it's someone else too.

PTSD is something I don't understand, but some people make it a larger deal than it is IMO. You shouldn't say "I can't enjoy this" because of it. I'm sitting with my PS4 off at the moment. I'll turn it on later. I wouldn't worry about it. My excitement comes and goes.

Plus rapid fanism can do that to you. We aren't machines. We hurt and feel like others do. We need time to heal.

I like being on GAF, but sometimes that Simpson reference bugs me. It's something I lived without for a long time, so who knows. I think we all have our own style.

The content of stuff doesn't bother me, I just need something to take my mind off life. Most of the time I don't want to do anything. PTSD is a wild motherfucker I never could have even begun to imagine what it was like.

Reading impressions makes me feel better, anyway. It's very frustrating and sad. :( I'm staring at the game I've been waiting literally years for and I can't even bring myself to turn on the TV.

I feel you. I'm sure you'll get better and hey if you want someone to talk to you can shoot me a PM at any time. I'd say take a nap and eat something. As for this game, it's amazing, especially since it's more consistent in tone in being horror rather than just action like RE4. I loved RE4 but I love this even more.

ColEx

I think the whole black bar super widescreen cinematic thing don't belong in video games, it should stay in movie and tv media etc. I just don't see it working in video games, its really distracting. I wish there was an option to turn it off.

struggling with those black bars :(

Yeah I gotta say, the visual output on this game is really bringing this otherwise great game down. Terrible frame rate, questionable black bars and some pretty ugly textures.

I don't get the point of having a wide screen TV, if you're going to widescreen the game. It's like watching an iPhone video....only shot correctly.

My god.....finished chapter 10. Fuck this chapter..

FUCK IT

Holy shit.

You see now! DO YOU SEE!!!! lol

The content of stuff doesn't bother me, I just need something to take my mind off life. Most of the time I don't want to do anything. PTSD is a wild motherfucker I never could have even begun to imagine what it was like, and I suffered "normal depression" in high school.

Reading impressions makes me feel better, anyway. It's very frustrating and sad. :( I'm staring at the game I've been waiting years for and I can't even bring myself to turn on the TV.

Feel better man, the game will be there when your ready. I know the feelings.

All this talk about realism in horror games.

It doesn't gotta be realistic. It's gotta be good.

But it is good lol. However, this isn't even realistic. As soon as you upgrade your character and weapons it stops being realistic. At that point, you should decide what to upgrade because many things could influence the gameplay in a pretty big way because Sebastian sucks at aiming and sucks at running for so long.

Hey guys,

Hope everyone is enjoying the game - It looks pretty damn cool.

I wanted to pick it up, as I've been itching to play a survival horror (emphasis on the horror) game for a long time. I played RE4 back in the day, but I was never a huge fan of the game as some people are here. I took it really casually, and played it on and off.

Would I still enjoy this game, if I simply thought RE4 was just "eh, this is good, I guess"?

Hey guys,

I wanted to pick it up, as I've been itching to play a survival horror (emphasis on the horror) game for a long time. I played RE4 back in the day, but I was never a huge fan of the game as some people are here. I took it really casually, and played it on and off.

Would I still enjoy this game, if I simply thought RE4 was just "eh, this is good, I guess"?

My guess you'll enjoy it more than the people who loved RE4 to death. TEW is like RE4 mixed in with Silent Hill and more realistic in terms of gameplay aka Sebastian is not a super hero however with upgrades he could turn into one.

TMC

Ah! So many mixed opinions. I just can't seem to decide if I should keep the game or send it back. Doesn't help that I went into this completely blind. Most seem to be enjoying it though.

george_us

When does the framerate go to shit? I'm at the beginning of Chapter 2 on the PS4 version but so far gameplay's been a solid 30. Noticed some dips in the cutscenes though.

Alright, they could have improved the fire mechanic a bit, like the torch and being able to drag bodies to already burning bonfires.

Yeah,that kinda stuff is just... how do you not think to put that in?

My first impressions are that TEW is alright, there's a rawness to it that's absent from other big budget games, but there's stuff that bothers me as well. Like switching to a cutscene for moments that obviously should have been left in the player's hands - or when an enemy comes close and it takes control away from you so you can sit back and look at a little cutscene of you getting hit. Don't like that all, if I can get a quick hit in before they finish their animation, at least allow the player a chance to counter the attack. You could say it serves to make the player feel weak, but there's better ways than this I think.

I also have to get used to this being more of a stealth game (first couple chapters at least) and maybe not a very good one either. Or maybe it's just hard? You seem to get spotted fairly easily and after that it's better to just reload (and try to remember all the stuff you now have to re-gather).

I'm not sure what the design achieves here. I want to keep playing, but for now it seems that the core gameplay of RE4 had a much better idea of what it wanted to be.

Other complaints are mostly technical in nature: the camera is way to close to the character. Can't see what I'm doing nearly half of the time and those black bars are really fucking dumb.

Don't get me wrong, I kinda like it, but I'm not sure this whole stealth thing is going to work out for this game.

The blood spatter is gorgeous though. Wish I had more bullets to shoot those assholes with.

Mupod

Any tips to get past chapter 3?

there's a ton of ammo lying around, as well as the agony crossbow and a shotgun. Most of the good stuff including both those weapons is in the tall building on the back left, the one with the rifle guy. As I said in my little writeup earlier I took him out with an axe I found, there's also a torch that works too.

There's traps and such around but your main goal is killing the chainsaw guy. The crossbow's explosive darts should be enough for that if you keep your distance. Once he's dead or maybe once the gate is open, all the enemies seem to despawn.

I didn't find the harpoons until after I cleared the area, but I was wondering if you could use those to pin down the chainsaw guy and trigger the lever traps on him. Worth a shot, right?

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Got to play this for like 15 mins on my break. Got it on PS 4 and right off that bat I noticed the frame rate issue when you first start off outside in the rain. Does the frame rate get better from here? Seemed like it cleaned up a bit inside the hospital and then when I was trying to sneak around that first enemy who killed me like 5 times lol. Still beyond stoked I was just pretty bummed out to see frame rate issues right off the bat :(

Hey guys,

I feel the same way about RE4 and have always considered it to be vastly overpraised, but I'm really enjoying this game. It really feels like playing through a horror movie.

Wasp

I think the whole black bar super widescreen cinematic thing don't belong in video games, it should stay in movie and tv media etc. I just don't see it working in video games, its really distracting. I wish there was an option to turn it off.
Yeah, the 'cinematic' excuse for the black bars is bullshit. If the game can't hold a steady 30fps at 800p imagine it at 1080p...

Interestingly Bethesda have chosen to advertise the game with the black bars removed which is deceptive and false advertising.

Launch Trailer

But it does look so much better in 16.9, way more immersive.

NEO0MJ

Man, I'm so scared of moving forward. Chapter 3. Is there any way to
Kill the chained chainsaw wielding enemy? I used 6/8 pistol shots, two direct shotgun blast, a grenade and burned the hay in front of him and still wouldn't go down.

Is there a way to turn the black bars off by chance?

No, not even on PC. If you remove them the game just stretches to fill the screen.

My guess you'll enjoy it more than the people who loved RE4 to death. TEW is like RE4 mixed in with Silent Hill and more realistic in terms of gameplay aka Sebastian is not a super hero however with upgrades he could turn into one.

I feel the same way about RE4 and have always considered it to be vastly overpraised, but I'm really enjoying this game. It really feels like playing through a horror movie.

Thanks for the responses. I've never actually played Silent Hill myself - which is why I'm really hoping it comes to Xbox One.. if not, 'll pick up a PS4 for Hills and Bloodborne - but I obviously can't deny the success and influence the games have had.

Alright, I'm going to go pick this game up. Will also post my impressions. Thanks!

Man, I'm so scared of moving forward. Chapter 3. Is there any way to
Kill the chained chainsaw wielding enemy? I used 6/8 pistol shots, two direct shotgun blast, a grenade and burned the hay in front of him and still wouldn't go down.

Try going for the head as much as you can, also,
The crossbow helps if you have it since it's ammo can be made by you, if you're collecting trap parts that is.

Grief.exe

No, not even on PC. If you remove them the game just stretches to fill the screen.

It doesn't technically stretch, just reduces the FOV.

I actually find the default aspect ratio to be unplayable. Sitting that close, I actually get a headache quite quickly. I find that setting the aspect ratio to 2 or 2.1 reduces the size of the black bars while keeping your FOV decent. For context, 2.5 is default while 1.7 is 16:9.

Top Bottom