• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

20141014_173614_zpsfdc489f2.jpg

Alright, it's time to do this. :)

Good man!

Ughhhh this
dog fight
on Ch.6 is the absolute fucking worst..... Sucks so hard considering I just fought
the giant twins.

These RE4 style action sequences fucking suck balls with the limited ammo the game gives you.

Well you should be able to find some ammo and stuff in the area. I'm not sure what your ammo count looks like but I do have to wonder. What happens if you have no ammo going into this battle? Do you have to restart the chapter and do better? or does the game dump more ammo for you?

Just depends who you ask. I love Alien and this game. Some folks hate the gameplay of Alien and the pace. Opinions and stuff.

Well, yeah. Just wanted to explain why I found the start of the game really underwhelming.

I think Alien has finally put the last nail in the coffin of chase sequences that can be comfortably won by holding the stick down in the opposite direction.

Pretty much. Really didn't help coming from that game into this.

derFeef

Chapter 1 is perfectly fine, it throws you right into mindfuckery and tense moments.

The person who did the walk/run animations might take some new courses, because uuugggh.

I really don't like that the enemies have guns

Most of what I'm reading isn't instilling confidence, eh I'm going to wait until more people have it and can get a better feel for this and maybe a price drop.

I think I pinned too many hopes on this game and I'm not sure it can measure up. Keep in mind I really don't want a successor to RE4 , I loved its gameplay, hated where it took the series and the lack of horror. Problems its still struggling with now so I blame RE4 for that.

I was really hoping this game would reinvent survival horror kind of like how the original Resident Evil justified an entire genre. imo RE4 had a worthy successor to carry the torch and that was Dead Space 1&2, what I was hoping for was a return to form but doesn't seem like I'm going to get that anytime soon, feel free to enlighten me if you played it and disagree.

Squishy3

But Alien does a much better job at that kind of thing. I'm getting into the game now I'm further on but coming off Alien Isolation into a poor imitation of it was rough.
Alien Isolation and The Evil Within both have the problem of the opening of the game being nothing like the rest of the game whatsoever.

RedEther

This game is alot better than I imagined it to be. The chapters feel pretty short but other than that the game is fantastic.

I decided to only play this game at night lol

I think Alien has finally put the last nail in the coffin of chase sequences that can be comfortably won by holding the stick down in the opposite direction.
Dude you are gagging on Alien right now, we get it, this is another style of game the intro was meant to get you accustomed to the stealth mechanic's, you can only progress when you "get it", it's not trying to base a whole 10hr experience primarily around it, forgive it for not being as in depth as a game that does.

Most of what I'm reading isn't instilling confidence, eh I'm going to wait until more people have it and can get a better feel for this and maybe a price drop.

I think I pinned too many hopes on this game and I'm not sure it can measure up. Keep in mind I really don't want a successor to RE4 , I loved its gameplay, hated where it took the series and the lack of horror. Problems its still struggling with now so I blame RE4 for that.

I was really hoping this game would reinvent survival horror kind of like how the original Resident Evil justified an entire genre. imo RE4 had a worthy successor to carry the torch and that was Dead Space 1&2, what I was hoping for was a return to form but doesn't seem like I'm going to get that anytime soon, feel free to enlighten me if you played it and disagree.

So far I only got a few enemies with guns and that is from chapter 3 and then end of chapter 5 then middle to end of chapter 6. Otherwise, I didn't see any more. I'm on chapter 10 now so I don't know. This game is like RE4 and Silent Hill mixed together, except that Sebastian is not the cocky superhero that leon is. He is a fragile and weak human being.

Yaqoub

So 5 chapters in and I'm really getting that survival horror itch scratched pretty good so far.

Bummer that there are some technical issues (I'm playing on PS4) and the black bars I could do without but nothing that personally annoyed me in my current playthrough.

Insanity is cool and all.

MattyG

Banned
Ch9 spoilers:
How the hell am I supposed to keep Ruvik away when he shows up? He teleports to me and instakills me.

Ch9 spoilers:
How the hell am I supposed to keep Ruvik away when he shows up? He teleports to me and instakills me.

You're
running to far ahead of him and he warps (which if he does, just pull back and turn around immediatly, it can be avoided, but it's a heart stopper). Listen to the high pitched sound. If it get's louder that means he is closer if you barely hear it and keep running away from it, he might warp.
Hope that helps.

Ch9 spoilers:

Keep running away from where ever he comes out. It's good to keep in mind places you could hide in because when he appears I literally change whatever direction I was going in and either going to hide or just run and run and run till he goes away. I find going back to the main area and going up the stairs and down in a circle helps lol as long as you see where he is coming at you from.

Ok, so I started to play this a bit and I very sad to say that it doesn't really click so far.

Now the first bummer right at the start was this shiity default walk/run mode with the left stick. This shit should be forbidden in 3rd person games. Let me press a fucking button to run! Especially in games like this I like to walk slowly instead of running and it drives me nuts to fiddle with the left stick. God damn...

Graphics are very disapointing so far, expecially because the framerate seems to be very inconsistent. AI is extremely stupid so far and no threat at all beucause the enemies are so easy to outrun. Also: No change in music when you are discovered? What the fuck is this? Aside from that I already had a few bugs when enemies could see me through a wall or something.... And I'm not even an hour in yet...

I'm only at the very beginning so these first impressions might change later on. So far I'm not impressed. Nothing like the mindfuck RE4s beginning was for sure. Well, lets hope this one is a slow burner.

Btw: Whats the point in burning the enemies? As far as I can see they do not get up again and also dissapear on their own after some time. So whats the big deal here?

Any advice to beat the chainsaw dude in chapter 3? I feel like I've tried everything.

The beauty part about this encounter is that there is a great deal of ways you can tackle it.

You can scrounge the area for all the weapons to include the shot gun and cross bow, and get some explosive arrows. Get him to come out and just pummel him. If your lacking that, you can get him to chase you in the house, around the area and can caught in traps. You can also climb up in the barn and aim down at him and damage him as much as possible before he even breaks out and then finish him off.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Oh, wow. Just started up and I think the soft-focus effect looks magnificent.

Dialogue is stilted and awkward, character models are kinda eh (except for Sebastian), and there are obvious framerate problems as soon as you have control of Sebastian (on PS4).

I think it was hard opening everything up. You notice how large the transition is.The game feels completely different once they show you hanging there. Which is good because there's less to focus on before something major happens.
In most horror movies you're waiting for the plot to open up and if it takes forever then you don't feel that satisfied.
The character models were edged and their meshes weren't the caliber of say Uncharted 3, but I think more focus should be on atmosphere

I have this strange "The Forest" feeling, but this blows that game out of the ballpark.

Ok, so I started to play this a bit and I very sad to say that it doesn't really click so far.

Now the first bummer right at the start was this shiity default walk/run mode with the left stick. This shit should be forbidden in 3rd person games. Let me press a fucking button to run! Especially in games like this I like to walk slowly instead of running and it drives me nuts to fiddle with the left stick. God damn...

Graphics are very disapointing so far, expecially because the framerate seems to be very inconsistent. AI is extremely stupid so far and no threat at all beucause the enemies are so easy to outrun. Also: No change in music when you are discovered? What the fuck is this? Aside from that I already had a few bugs when enemies could see me through a wall or something.... And I'm not even an hours in yet...

I'm only at the very beginning so these first impressions might change later on. So far I'm not impressed. Nothing like the mindfuck RE4s beginning was for sure. Well, lets hope this one is a slow burner.

Btw: Whats the point in burning the enemies? As far as I can see they do not get up again and also dissapear on their own after some time. So whats the big deal here?

Keep playing. The beginning is like a test run to what's going on.
You'll get a run button eventually

Burning them keeps them dead, dead.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
how many chapters is the game? I noticed chapter 2 was quite short, chapter 3 was a nice lenght tho (especially since I was scavaging everything)

Coda

The beauty part about this encounter is that there is a great deal of ways you can tackle it.

You can scrounge the area for all the weapons to include the shot gun and cross bow, and get some explosive arrows. Get him to come out and just pummel him. If your lacking that, you can get him to chase you in the house, around the area and can caught in traps. You can also climb up in the barn and aim down at him and damage him as much as possible before he even breaks out and then finish him off.

Nice, yeah I've got the crossbow and shotgun but I think I was lacking some shells because I probably was getting close to killing him. I dunno, I miss spin kicking and just being Leon Kennedy in RE4. The game is slightly frustrating me but how many times I'm dying.

I really want to go in this game blind - so I apologize for asking a question that could probably be answered by reading the thread a bit.

How hard is the game? Assuming there are difficulty levels, medium or hard? I played RE4 on medium (if there are difficulty levels). I thought it was a good challenge.

Klyka

Banned
how many chapters is the game? I noticed chapter 2 was quite short, chapter 3 was a nice lenght tho (especially since I was scavaging everything)

Chapter 5 is about the length of chapter 2 and 3 combined.

I just finished chapter 6 after about 6 hours. Chapter 7 looks like another winner!

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?

This should of been me today when I picked up TEW. I got NBA2K15 instead but I'll be correcting that mistake tomorrow when I go back to gamestop to return it and get Alien instead. Had no idea 2k15 is such a let down this year. So glad I didn't open it lol.

Any concrete impressions or anything? I haven't yet picked this up because of this. I have both consoles

I think most folks don't own both so they won't be able to tell exactly. I had extensive time over the last 4 days with the PS4 version and picked up my xbox one version. I will post in here once I get a chance to see if there is any differences.

Any concrete impressions or anything? I haven't yet picked this up because of this. I have both consoles

It does because of the 7.5GB update(I assume). I came into a few slowdowns but that is within the course of my 10 chapter run so far which is pretty fucking long like 8 - 9 hours. However, the PS4 version looks sharper(from what I'm seeing/reading). I don't know if the PS4 will get a bigass update and I don't know what the 7.5GB update is exactly. You can probably check gameplay videos or what for DF's analysis which should be soon.

Xpliskin

Game is getting review pummeled on Steam. Consensus seems to be that it's a poorly optimized mess. Disappointing.

The frame rate and aspect ratio caps are pretty unforgivable. Might just wait until it's on sale.

Trust me. It's not.

It's exagerated.

Game runs smooth as butter with 0 dips on my end.
Super fast load times.

Who to believe ?

The game itself is great.

Mupod

if there's one thing I've learned it's that any game that won't run on an 8800GT is apparently an 'unoptimized mess'

Yes, if you consider sub 30 butter smooth. A lot of people don't.

I don't mean this offensive at all, but is there a reason your still in the thread? You returned your game, got a refund, and everything you post is about how you dislike the performance or pc port. Again, not trying to be rude, but you obviously don't like the issues the game has, regardless if they are minor or major to people. So why waste time in here?

All these impressions are making me aroused; the game sounds exactly like I hoped it would be! Hopefully they patch the PS4's frame rate issues by the time I can get my hands on it though.

Anyone who beat the game (Slasher, I'm looking at you ;) care to give me some spoiler free impressions on pacing and act structure? Does the game ramp up in action while losing some of the more horrific elements like RE4 did? And are they constantly throwing new enemies, level designs, encounters, and bosses like Mikami games are known for? Thanx

I really want to go in this game blind - so I apologize for asking a question that could probably be answered by reading the thread a bit.

How hard is the game? Assuming there are difficulty levels, medium or hard? I played RE4 on medium (if there are difficulty levels). I thought it was a good challenge.

Harder than RE4 on medium because of the limited supplies and Sebastian being a fragile, weak human being. It's safe to say you'll be dying alot.

Top Bottom