• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Sanctuary

How are you almost done O__o are you sure you're playing TEW? It's not the like last of us at all, doesn't feel or pace like it either it's got its own thing with the variety of ways you can tackle any given situation.

I've been playing since it unlocked last night on Steam. And I know how the game plays. I'll elaborate later in the spoiler thread.

Almost done with the game, and I really don't know how to feel about the game. I have some severely mixed feelings going on. On the one hand, it's a game that I know I am going to replay pretty close to after finishing it, but the game is just so derivative that I can't understand what went wrong during the development process.

I thought Mikami had a better process for creation than simply blindly throwing darts on a dartboard divided up into sections that represent some extremely popular horror movies and just about every popular (insert subgenre prefix)/horror games that are not Resident Evil.

I've also seen a lot of comments that the game feels like playing TLOU. That seems like the easiest association, especially for people that haven't really played any of the old school Survival Horror games, or even RE4, but it's true. The game feels like if you would inverse how much time ND spent on the cutscenes with the actual gameplay. Except in the case of this game, it's completely unbalanced for so many reasons if you aren't a precognitive (this has nothing to do with simply conserving ammo).

Shame it didn't seem that you enjoyed it as much as I did. I am loving it more than RE4 so far lol but for reasons that you may not share with me like being more horror, upgrades affecting gameplay in a big way since Sebastian is not a superhero. I don't really agree that it plays all that much like TLOU for instance, the melee is shit compared to the things you do in TLOU. Didn't upgrade my entire melee damage though so who knows lol. I see that it plays more like a realistic version of RE4 depending on what you upgrade with Silent Hill thrown into the mix. Then again, you're a pretty tough guy to please.

derFeef

Not sure what everyone expects by the opening chapters, I really liked them, will continue tomorrow - but I might like this more than Alien!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
2nd most viewed game on twitch.

2014-10-1423_42_11-al0xc63.png

I swear, I can't remember enemies coming back to life because I didn't blow their head.

Granted, I did abuse explosives and whatnot, especially toward the last part (the explosive bolts for the crossbow are so ridiculously broken, especially if you disable all traps you come across) Not to mention it's not like you can backtrack....

You'll be begging for more traps when you continue on with the game. I'm playing on survival as well so I don't know how that changes things. I am wondering what AKUMU and nightmare mode do other than being hard as shit. Very interested in trying them out.

Not sure what everyone expects by the opening chapters, I really liked them, will continue tomorrow - but I might like this more than Alien!

Yep. I don't see what's so awful about the opening chapters. Games teaching you things and moving you foward. I think a lot of people don't enjoy the sneaking elements so much at the start. Funny because Alien makes a entire game out of what that one/two chapters does in TEW.

I guess the engine is to be blamed but there is no way this game can't run at 60fps on ps4 IMO. The graphical fidelity is not that impressive and some textures look downright PlayStation 2 level (bushes and trees).the gameplay so far is great though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yep. I don't see what's so awful about the opening chapters. Games teaching you things and moving you foward. I think a lot of people don't enjoy the sneaking elements so much at the start. Funny because Alien makes a entire game out of what that one/two chapters does in TEW.
lol

so1337

Any PC folks have problems with the game cutting off three quarters of the screen when setting the resolution to 1080p? This is driving me up the wall.

Ugh I'm so dumb. I should have left my computer on all day so it could update while at work. It's taking so long to finish the install from the pre load.

People always bash game openings if they don't begin with sucking your dick right off the bat.

Not sure if I get the game or not...

By now there are gameplay footages and reviews up the ass so make your choice! Think of the game as a realistic RE4 mixed in with Silent Hill. If this sounds good to you, then get it. I seriously can't think of another TPS that touted itself as being a horror action game and all it did was be action. Last game that was truly horror in the sense was Dead Space 1.

I love chapter 3 because of the sneaking.

Ch 1 has awful cut scenes, a boring stealth section and a SyFy-esque city destruction sequence.

It's just really bad. Polar opposite of the amazing start in Resi 4.

I really like this game so far, RE4 meets The Last Of us. Though i'm ashamed to say I had to lower the difficulty :c On chapter 4 currently

Grisby

The opening chapter is pretty bad but the game has definitely picked up. Framerate is pretty woof in chapter 3 though. Anxious to keep playing tonight.

It really does remind me a lot of TLOU, crouching and distracting with bottles. I'm team brick of course.

Ch 1 has awful cut scenes, a boring stealth section and a
SyFy-esque city destruction sequence.

That spoiler had me go WTF. It instantly hooked me up as to where the story will be heading and so far I still don't know what the fuck is going on lol. RE4's start is, I don't know what's so memorable about entering a cabin then finding a crazy ass village dude then you get out of the cabin to find....more crazy ass village dudes. That is until you get to where the real game starts, the village.

Gurish

I want to play it but i don't know if i should wait for the patch (if it's even coming) or not, why Bethesda don't issue any update about it? :/

Mask

Grabbed the digital version of this on the Xbox One earlier today because that was the cheapest way I could get it.

That fucking Stealth section, man.. Nearly made me quit, and doesn't do a good job of telling you where you have to hide. Annoying. Chapter 2 has been much better though, and one of my buddies has been ranting about how good the chapters after the 3rd one are, so I'm looking forward to that.

These black bars are pissing me off though. Feels like I'm permanently squinting or something..

Only the top left quarter of the image is displayed.

Are you downsampling by any chance? I get this when I downsample.

Try this: go to the game folder and right-click in the EvilWithin.exe and select properties. Go to compatibility tab and tick "deactivate scale to high DPI" or whatever that's called in english.

That's how I solved the problem.

That spoiler had me go WTF. It instantly hooked me up as to where the story will be heading and so far I still don't know what the fuck is going on lol. RE4's start is, I don't know what's so memorable about entering a cabin then finding a crazy ass village dude then you get out of the cabin to find....more crazy ass village dudes. That is until you get to where the real game starts, the village.
Which takes about three minutes. If that.

Ch 1 is like 20 mins of boring nothingness.

Anyway like I said loved ch 3 so looking forward to continuing tomorrow.

JerkShep

Is the stealth really prominent going forward? I played only a couple of hours at most, but it seems much more reminiscent of something like Last of Us than RE4 gameplay-wise...except between the narrow FOV, the black bars and issues with the enemies field of view it doesn't feel very good. I really like the atmosphere but the gameplay seems a bit clunky so far...

Ch 1 has awful cut scenes, a boring stealth section and a
SyFy-esque city destruction sequence.

Guess I just don't have those issues personally. I felt the stealth at the start was very intense. The cutscenes were fine for me. The city stuff isn't supposed to make sense till you get to the end. Glad your enjoying it now though.

But Alien does a much better job at that kind of thing. I'm getting into the game now I'm further on but coming off Alien Isolation into a poor imitation of it was rough.

Which takes about three minutes. If that.

Ch 1 is like 20 mins of boring nothingness.

Anyway like I said loved ch 3 so looking forward to continuing tomorrow.

Exactly. To each his own though. I loved both openings but I felt TEW's opening is more memorable because it throws you right in, out of the blue in a mindfuckery of moments that so far never stop and I'm in chapter 10 now. Enjoy!

so1337

Are you downsampling by any chance? I get this when I downsample.

Try this: go to the game folder and right-click in the EvilWithin.exe and select properties. Go to compatibility tab and tick "deactivate scale to high DPI" or whatever that's called in english.

That's how I solved the problem.
I've never downsampled even though my GPU is probably more than capable enough.

Anyway, that worked like a charm. Thanks a lot.

Ughhhh this
dog fight
on Ch.6 is the absolute fucking worst..... Sucks so hard considering I just fought
the giant twins.

These RE4 style action sequences fucking suck balls with the limited ammo the game gives you.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think Alien has finally put the last nail in the coffin of chase sequences that can be comfortably won by holding the stick down in the opposite direction.

But Alien does a much better job at that kind of thing. I'm getting into the game now I'm further on but coming off Alien Isolation into a poor imitation of it was rough.

Just depends who you ask. I love Alien and this game. Some folks hate the gameplay of Alien and the pace. Opinions and stuff.

Is the stealth really prominent going forward? I played only a couple of hours at most, but it seems much more reminiscent of something like Last of Us than RE4 gameplay-wise...except between the narrow FOV, the black bars and issues with the enemies field of view it doesn't feel very good. I really like the atmosphere but the gameplay seems a bit clunky so far...

Nope. However, it is always better to play slow and check your surroundings instead of barging on too quick.

Is the stealth really prominent going forward? I played only a couple of hours at most, but it seems much more reminiscent of something like Last of Us than RE4 gameplay-wise...except between the narrow FOV, the black bars and issues with the enemies field of view it doesn't feel very good. I really like the atmosphere but the gameplay sea bit clunky so far...

The gameplay doesn't feel clunky to me. Yes, I would recommend the stealth way because it saves you ammo which you're going to need in more tighter situations. And stealth also works well in this game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
finished chapter 3 earlier and I loved it. Best chapter so far, really enjoying the game, and its running butter smooth maxed out at 60

that being said, chapter 1 was atrocious and it makes a TERRIBLE first impression on the game, in fact, it doesnt even feel like the rest of the game.

Top Bottom