• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Wow, this game makes a bad first impression. I'm not scared and I'm not having fun at all. There are so many more things I dislike about this right now than like. BUT I'M GONNA KEEP PLAYING, don't worry. I know it gets better. But this first chapter...woof.

Squishy3

Trust me. It's not.
I've been running the game with what little graphics options there are all turned on and running with the 60 fps tweak and the worst performing area was the very beginning of the game outside in the rain, it's been 55-60 every other area.

me0wish

Amazing game, loved everything about it (except the horrible optimization and occasional crash(8 times so far)). Got to chapter 6, I simply couldn't stop my self from playing and I wouldn't have stopped playing if my friends didn't have to go to work.

Thanks Mikami for Resident Evil 5, the wait was long and painful, but it was worth it.

Ok, so not playing on hard then :) Thanks!

There isn't a hard lol. From the get go you get casual and survival, assuming they are easy and medium. I am playing on survival and it's pretty tough if you don't get your grasp on the game by chapter 4 but you could always change the difficulty if you felt it's really hard however, I don't know if that affects the achievement. It probably does. Your welcome anytime. :D

News Bot

Banned
So 30fps would equal an optimized mess to you then? Seriously, I get preferring 60fps but if a solid 30 isn't smooth to you then I don't know what to say.

He said sub 30, though.

I've been running the game with what little graphics options there are all turned on and running with the 60 fps tweak and the worst performing area was the very beginning of the game outside in the rain, it's been 55-60 every other area.

Okay this gets me interested again.

It's exagerated.

Game runs smooth as butter with 0 dips on my end.
Super fast load times.

Who to believe ?

The game itself is great.

Well, I trust my own experience. I've played it on 3 high-end rigs and it isn't smooth anywhere. When the framerate is 60 there's stuttering everywhere. And 30fps is still 30fps. Texture pop-ins everywhere. Black bars. Real slow mouse movement. Crashes. No SLI/CrossFire-support. Very low FoV, no way to change.

If you use a 144Hz screen it's not locked to it's recommended framerate - it's locked to 72fps, introducing more stuttering. It's an unoptimized piece of software, no doubt about it.

It's ugly. Relatively small areas. Absolutely nothing that warrants the performance.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The art book has been officially released. There's a ton of great atmosphere already coming from the first couple of pages.

IMG_0513.jpg

There's also a short, but great introduction done by Shinji Mikami. Hideo Kojima had a nice forward with the collector's edition guide for MGS4. Totally get it if you're wanting a more inside look into concepts and early development ideas of the game. This is much longer for those who know what I am getting at.

All these impressions are making me aroused; the game sounds exactly like I hoped it would be! Hopefully they patch the PS4's frame rate issues by the time I can get my hands on it though.

Anyone who beat the game (Slasher, I'm looking at you ;) care to give me some spoiler free impressions on pacing and act structure? Does the game ramp up in action while losing some of the more horrific elements like RE4 did? And are they constantly throwing new enemies, level designs, encounters, and bosses like Mikami games are known for? Thanx

Ok this is a semi hard one to explain without too many spoilers but I'l do my best. Personally, I felt the game continually adds something new. That might be new location, new gameplay dynamic, new enemy, new situation. I always feel it's mixing things up quite well. As for the comment on act structure, It's odd for me, because the creep factor and wonder of locations keeps going head strong till around chapter 11, which then see's more of a urban location. Though the thing about it is, even with that setting, it throws in some interesting moments, and stuff that clashes with the setting. As in shouldn't be there. Then you throw in enemies that have more guns, etc. It can feel like a bit jaring at times. Though it makes sense in the story why your travesring through these areas and it still plays with your mind. So hope that gives a bit of idea, without saying too much.

Wow, this game makes a bad first impression. I'm not scared and I'm not having fun at all. There are so many more things I dislike about this right now than like. BUT I'M GONNA KEEP PLAYING, don't worry. I know it gets better. But this first chapter...woof.

I agree. The first chapter is dreadful. The second is a lot better though :)

I don't mean this offensive at all, but is there a reason your still in the thread? You returned your game, got a refund, and everything you post is about how you dislike the performance or pc port. Again, not trying to be rude, but you obviously don't like the issues the game has, regardless if they are minor or major to people. So why waste time in here?

I've been hyped for the game for a long time and I'd love to play it. As it stands right now, it's unplayable, even with $2500 worth of hardware.

I'm not here for a specific reason, I'm just saying there are a lot of issues with the game, or at least the PC-version of the game. As I mentioned earlier, shady business shouldn't be rewarded.

Ok this is a semi hard one to explain without too many spoilers but I'l do my best. Personally, I felt the game continually adds something new. That might be new location, new gameplay dynamic, new enemy, new situation. I always feel it's mixing things up quite well. As for the comment on act structure, It's odd for me, because the creep factor and wonder of locations keeps going head strong till around chapter 11, which then see's more of a urban location. Though the thing about it is, even with that setting, it throws in some interesting moments, and stuff that clashes with the setting. As in shouldn't be there. Then you throw in enemies that have more guns, etc. It can feel like a bit jaring at times. Though it makes sense in the story why your travesring through these areas and it still plays with your mind. So hope that gives a bit of idea, without saying too much.

Thanks man, I appreciate it! Sounds like the end of the game is a lil like the island in RE4 (more urban/industrial environment, and gun wielding enemies). Ugh I seriously can't wait to play this game, I'm so jealous of all of you right now.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
My purchase hinges on this...

Is this game save point dependant? Like, I constantly gotta get to the save point or are there checkpoints? And if there are checkpoints and I get to a specific point and gotta shut it down, does it stay there? Life is busy and I don't have that much free time.

-MD-

Dunno why people keep saying this, it sets the whole game up.

Is this game save point dependant? Like, I constantly gotta get to the save point or are there checkpoints? And if there are checkpoints and I get to a specific point and gotta shut it down, does it stay there? Life is busy and I don't have that much free time.

There are save points you come across and there are frequent checkpoints inbetween, yes it'll stay there if you quit after a checkpoint.

Less moaning about graphics and more enjoying the game please.

Seriously the emphasis on graphics these days is pretty annoying and somewhat pathetic.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

You can resume at checkpoints, which are fairly frequent.

This first chapter is really something man. Super close FOV which makes checking out the area like every other stealth game known to man a challenge + slow forced walking everywhere + janky animations + sub-30 framerates = bad first impression

***_******, you got this game yet

Save points and check points. Checkpoints act as a autosave, so as soon as you see it say checkpoint, your good. The only chapter that seemed to really force you to save manually without checkpoints was chapter 9 and that was due to the ability to backtrack and the openess of it.

Are people still bitching about the graphics?

Time to invest in a PC fellas.

Even PC folk complain about graphics. I own it on xbox one, ps4 and PC. It does look damn sharp on PC from what I saw last night. Hope your still loving it. Also need some folks to beat it like Dusk, etc so we can discuss the ending. I have quite a few questions and getting more heads on it might clear some things up a bit.

Carbonox

Oh man Chapter 6 is a right stinker. Went down Resident Evil 5/6 route there in terms of the map and the forced action. Fuck off. Rest of the game is mint though.

It's like Mikami snuck out for a smoke and some chump at Bethesda creeped in a section they made all by themselves.

I can't take these people seriously.

Art direction >>>> graphics, in my opinion. People were cutting on Wolfenstein for shitty graphics, but I thought that game looked pretty fantastic, and this game seems even more atmospheric and visually appealing. I don't even mind 'ps2 level graphics' as long as there's artistry with how assets are used.

ak1276

Banned
Art direction >>>> graphics, in my opinion. People were cutting on Wolfenstein for shitty graphics, but I thought that game looked pretty fantastic, and this game seems even more atmospheric and visually appealing. I don't even mind 'ps2 level graphics' as long as there's artistry with how assets are used.

Yup.

Just got to Ch.7. Weird that Ruvik
was shown off so much as this big game play element and he's barely shown up at all 8 hours into the game.

I'm starting to want my $54 back Shinji. This games fucking rough.

gdTMKpc.gif

I don't take graphics obsessive people serious period, couldn't care less which platform either.

It just demonstrates an ultimately very shallow and narrow minded view.
I don't mind those who want mint graphics; buy expecting that from a game, especially a multi platform one Is a tall order, curb your expectations if you're a graphics above all gamer or just don't get this game, you will not be sucked.

Well took me a bunch of tries deleting and reinstalling to get it to actually finish installing but it's finally done. Feeling a bit better about the game now with that behind me but the bars are still very intrusive.

Top Bottom