• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

NEO0MJ

Try going for the head as much as you can, also,
The crossbow helps if you have it since it's ammo can be made by you, if you're collecting trap parts that is.

Yeah, I've been doing a good job collecting trap parts, kinda regret actually disarming them all the time, feel that I should at least leave the string traps as is. Still don't have the crossbow. I reached the house where there's a guy with a rifle but I feel overwhelmed by the enemies there, far too many of them.

It doesn't technically stretch, just reduces the FOV.

I actually find the default aspect ratio to be unplayable. Sitting that close, I actually get a headache quite quickly. I find that setting the aspect ratio to 2 or 2.1 reduces the size of the black bars while keeping your FOV decent.

Hmm, might try that later.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
I have not played the game however from reading the thread I am amazed that this game has frame rate drops when being at 30fps, very unacceptable especially for current gen.

SpokkX

Got to play this for like 15 mins on my break. Got it on PS 4 and right off that bat I noticed the frame rate issue when you first start off outside in the rain. Does the frame rate get better from here? Seemed like it cleaned up a bit inside the hospital and then when I was trying to sneak around that first enemy who killed me like 5 times lol. Still beyond stoked I was just pretty bummed out to see frame rate issues right off the bat :(

Ps4 here.. Seems to be some kind of texture loading issue. As soon as you gain control, move the camera up and down several times. At first the framerate is really low and stutters like crazy, then it cleans and the fifth or so time you pan the camera it holds 30fps

Yeah, I've been doing a good job collecting trap parts, kinda regret actually disarming them all the time, feel that I should at least leave the string traps as is. Still don't have the crossbow. I reached the house where there's a guy with a rifle but I feel overwhelmed by the enemies there, far too many of them.

Try exploring more. The crossbow is in CH3 where you are, just don't go and trigger the chainsaw asshole to come running after you. If i'm not mistaken, the crossbow is available at the top floor of the house with the shooting spikes from the ceiling trap.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
if you don't burn the bodies, how long does it typically take them to come back?

I must say, I'm starting to warm up to this game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Lots of love in this thread. How enjoyable is the game to play though? Some of the footage I have watched on streams and such involve lots of people kind of roughly getting grips on the shooting, stealth, or other activities. I get the sense that either they are all blatantly terrible, or the game has a bit of jank.

Lots of you are pretty deep in the game at this point and just want some thoughts. Seriously thinking of snagging it before Bayo 2.

This game is pretty good so far, but I'm gonna hold back on playing it until there's a patch out there that fixes the Aspect Ratio, Black Borders and FOV for the PC version. And my achievements and DLC do not like to work with my game for whatever reason.

Only on Chapter 2 right now and Chapter 2 is pretty bad, while Chapter 1 was pretty great. Not a big fan of the stealth elements at all, though. Just feels like Resident Evil 4 with a lot less ammo, which isn't as fun or scary in the slightest. But I do not imagine the game is just sneaking around throwing bottles 99% of the time like Chapter 2 has been, so I'm not worried, hahaha.

How does the Xbox One version hold up? Same framerate issues as the PS4?

XB1 more consistent framrate. PS4 sharper visuals. My guess it has something to do with the 7.5GB update that came with the X1 version of the game, for some reason.

EDIT: My guess the PS4 will be patched as well, just a matter of when.

NeoGiff

Finished Chapter 2 and played Chapter 3 for two minutes until I reached the
farm from RE4
. I thought that was a nice place to end for the night; I'm already looking forward to playing it again.

Laconic

Banned
I have not played the game however from reading the thread I am amazed that this game has frame rate drops when being at 30fps, very unacceptable especially for current gen.

This is why I'll get it on Steam, whenever it goes on sale.

I wanted to get it for console; I am no graphics whore, so a lower frame-rate really isn't my issue.

But a fluctuating frame-rate fucks with the gameplay.

So yeah - nope.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Ps4 here.. Seems to be some kind of texture loading issue. As soon as you gain control, move the camera up and down several times. At first the framerate is really low and stutters like crazy, then it cleans and the fifth or so time you pan the camera it holds 30fps

Right on my dude I appreciate the tip! I'll be trying that next time I run into issues. So fucking stoked to get on this once the sun goes down. Playing this shit all night long.

Just finished chapter 2, can i expect more gameplay like that or more like like chapter 1?

Expect more like Chapter 2 and 3 but I felt the emphasis on stealth gets less the more you progress with the game however, you still want to take things slow if you want to be careful because traps can be laid anywhere or enemies hiding in any corner so it's better to be safe than sorry.

RedAssedApe

Banned
XB1 more consistent framrate. PS4 sharper visuals. My guess it has something to do with the 7.5GB update that came with the X1 version of the game, for some reason.

EDIT: My guess the PS4 will be patched as well, just a matter of when.

i thought there was a patch released already. guess not...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
They should get up almost immediately if their head is not popped off.

oh, so if they stay down, they're gone for good?

Lots of love in this thread. How enjoyable is the game to play though? Some of the footage I have watched on streams and such involve lots of people kind of roughly getting grips on the shooting, stealth, or other activities. I get the sense that either they are all blatantly terrible, or the game has a bit of jank.

Lots of you are pretty deep in the game at this point and just want some thoughts. Seriously thinking of snagging it before Bayo 2.

the game is extremely disorientating, which on paper sounds great for this sort of game, but in practice lead to a really... tedious first couple of hours. I'm kinda mentally calibrated for it at this point and I'm enjoying it more, but be wary when starting.

NEO0MJ

Try exploring more. The crossbow is in CH3 where you are, just don't go and trigger the chainsaw asshole to come running after you. If i'm not mistaken, the crossbow is available at the top floor of the house with the shooting spikes from the top ceiling trap.

I only had him chase me once, when I intentionally shot him and tried to kill him, which proved rather difficult.
All right, gonna see if I can approach more carefully. I rarely have to play this style, usually just guns blazing :p.

So chapter 3

Open the town gates, walk through, hear some chains, some grunting and a chainsaw

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

I know that feel, brah.

i thought there was a patch released already. guess not...

Well a patch was released but by the comments here it was way,way small compared to the 7.5GB update for the X1 version. No reason as to why that is though.

oh, so if they stay down, they're gone for good?

Yup. As long as their head is no where to be seen on sight. Meaning blasting off a part of their head doesn't do it. Their whole head has to be gone.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
This is why I'll get it on Steam, whenever it goes on sale.

I wanted to get it for console; I am no graphics whore, so a lower frame-rate really isn't my issue.

But a fluctuating frame-rate fucks with the gameplay.

So yeah - nope.

agreed especially when it is already at 30fps, it should be locked and have no stutter. Think may put this game on the back burner and get metro redux or middle earth. Its a shame my gf bought me ps4 gold wireless headset for my bday (haven't gotten it yet), but the evil within was one of the games i was anticipating to try it with. If the game gets patched and becomes more stable I will probably buy it later on.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
this makes the body burning mechanic much more confusing...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Dat million $ question. Honestly, I don't know why Bethesda did what they did. Nobody knows the reason why X1 got a 7.5GB update while the PS4 got a very tiny update in comparison.

somebody opened up the patch and changed the whitespace, causing a file-wide diff

this makes the body burning mechanic much more confusing...

You could use it as a tactic because if you burned lets say a fallen haunted to the ground and burned it while another haunted is near the body, both will be burned or if two are fallen next to each other. Also, the burning mechanic helps alot when there are more than 1 haunted on your ass. You could easily finish off one as soon as they hit the ground with a match.

Sanctuary

Almost done with the game, and I really don't know how to feel about the game. I have some severely mixed feelings going on. On the one hand, it's a game that I know I am going to replay pretty close to after finishing it, but the game is just so derivative that I can't understand what went wrong during the development process.

I thought Mikami had a better process for creation than simply blindly throwing darts on a dartboard divided up into sections that represent some extremely popular horror movies and just about every popular (insert subgenre prefix)/horror games that are not Resident Evil.

I've also seen a lot of comments that the game feels like playing TLOU. That seems like the easiest association, especially for people that haven't really played any of the old school Survival Horror games, or even RE4, but it's true. The game feels like if you would inverse how much time ND spent on the cutscenes with the actual gameplay. Except in the case of this game, it's completely unbalanced for so many reasons if you aren't precognitive (this has nothing to do with simply conserving ammo).

Chapter 1 is fucking awful.

Chapter 2 is average.

Chapter 3 is fucking brilliant.

I'm wondering how consistent this game will be but hopefully it's more like 3 from here onwards.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
during the crowd bit in chapter four, I was running away from them, ready to execute a perfect plan and... they all started burning up. They must have hit a trap or something? I certainly didn't hear it.

antitrop

Oh, wow. Just started up and I think the soft-focus effect looks magnificent.

Dialogue is stilted and awkward, character models are kinda eh (except for Sebastian), and there are obvious framerate problems as soon as you have control of Sebastian (on PS4).

Just started Ch. 7

This game, THIS FUCKING GAME.
we're at the same point and I'm at 7 hours and I feel the same, definitely going to finish this tonight but first I gotta eat, 2 for 1 wings at brewings let's go!

Almost done with the game, and I really don't know how to feel about the game. I have some severely mixed feelings going on. On the one hand, it's a game that I know I am going to replay pretty close to after finishing it, but the game is just so derivative that I can't understand what went wrong during the development process.

I thought Mikami had a better process for creation than simply blindly throwing darts on a dartboard divided up into sections that represent some extremely popular horror movies and just about every popular (insert subgenre prefix)/horror games that are not Resident Evil.

I've also seen a lot of comments that the game feels like playing TLOU. That seems like the easiest association, especially for people that haven't really played any of the old school Survival Horror games, or even RE4, but it's true. The game feels like if you would inverse how much time ND spent on the cutscenes with the actual gameplay. Except in the case of this game, it's completely unbalanced for so many reasons if you aren't precognitive (this has nothing to do with simply conserving ammo).
How are you almost done O__o are you sure you're playing TEW? It's not the like last of us at all, doesn't feel or pace like it either it's got its own thing with the variety of ways you can tackle any given situation.

Taruranto

Not really. They are only dead when you pop the head, in other instances they will either get up or try to attack you while they are on the ground.

I swear, I can't remember enemies coming back to life because I didn't blow their head.

Granted, I did abuse explosives and whatnot, especially toward the last part (the explosive bolts for the crossbow are so ridiculously broken, especially if you disable all traps you come across) Not to mention it's not like you can backtrack....

Zafir

I wish there was a way to have full 16:9 aspect ratio without it cutting the sides. The black bars are so wide that it's annoying in the default settings. However, changing the setting in the console cuts the FOV too much so I had to turn it back to the default... >.<

Top Bottom