• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

I'm stuck between this game and aliens. Anyone who played both want to chime in. Would love opinions.

Only played up to chapter 3 in TEW,its really enjoyable so far and feels like it will appeal to a wider audience than alien, however alien was an incredible experience/flawed masterpiece for me

Skyzard

Banned
I think people don't feel scared because they aren't completely vulnerable like in most horror games.

You are somewhat equipped in this.

what is survival horror again

When you survive the onslaught of someone calling you a moneyhat on both gaf and your youtube video review? ;)

1MJCDOz.jpg

Can you name a recent game that's more fitting of being called a survival-horror title?

I sure can't.

Alien: Isolation.

I think that's my problem, I'm coming off the back of playing and loving Alien: Isolation into this... and it feels like I've went from, well, watching Alien to some Hammer Horror movie. I think I should have waited a while before playing this in fairness.

I like the general vibe it's putting across with it's strange mix of Silent Hill & Resident Evil, but the gameplay just feels really dated. The melee animation is really off putting, the gunplay feels cheap and the general movement feels very jerky.

I don't have fear of the enemies like I did in Alien: Isolation, where I didn't want to even see the Alien. Whereas in The Evil Within if I see a mob, it's more of a sigh as they're just huge damage sponges and the combat is really clunky, with some of the exchanges being near comical. The stealth kills are nice, but sometimes it's just not possible.
Then when you unleash the horde (sometimes unavoidably so) it's just... ergh.

It's a psychological thriller, it's tugging at that whole spectrum. That might be what you aren't getting, but I'm just throwing a wild guess out there.

Nah, I get that element of the game too. I think it's just going to be one of those games where I just don't click with it.

As for the psychological thriller aspect,
I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was all in the guy's head and he was the serial killer brutally murdering the innocent town folk!

ak1276

Banned
When you survive the onslaught of someone calling you a moneyhat on both gaf and your youtube video review? ;)

1MJCDOz.jpg

It's good to know that ViewtifulJC has a good sense of humor.

Or is really pathetic. Either way, it makes me feel better for always laughing at him.

Alien: Isolation.

I think that's my problem, I'm coming off the back of playing and loving Alien: Isolation into this... and it feels like I've went from, well, watching Alien to some Hammer Horror movie. I think I should have waited a while before playing this in fairness.

I like the general vibe it's putting across with it's strange mix of Silent Hill & Resident Evil, but the gameplay just feels really dated. The melee animation is really off putting, the gunplay feels cheap and the general movement feels very jerky.

I don't have fear of the enemies like I did in Alien: Isolation, where I didn't want to even see the Alien. Whereas in The Evil Within if I see a mob, it's more of a sigh as they're just huge damage sponges and the combat is really clunky, with some of the exchanges being near comical. The stealth kills are nice, but sometimes it's just not possible.
Then when you unleash the horde (sometimes unavoidably so) it's just... ergh.

Alien:Isolation should reach me soon, can't wait to try it out. While both are survival horror games, they also are fundamentally different though. In one game you are always playing hide and seek from the same enemy throughout the entire game(plus androids) while the other is just pulling you into one mindfuck after the next with varied environments, enemies, bosses with scarce ammo and health. I prefer the style of TEW/RE1-4/Dead Space 1 because of the amount of variation in the game that and well what to upgrade during the game can affect the gameplay depending on what you upgrade.

So is this game trying to actually be scary, or is it more campy?

I'm totally down for a campy gory shooter, but if the game really expects me to be scared during what I've watched... I don't know, it's trying a little too hard. Is this similar to Resident Evil 4 and Shadows of the Damned, i.e "scary," or is it actually horror?

I do like a good really scary game, and I love campy b-game horror, but from what I've seen from the marketing this is sitting somewhere kind of awkwardly in the middle.

Ha ha, nice!

HOW MUCH DID BETHESDA PAY YOU, SLASHER?!?!

Must be nice to be rich, but how do you sleep at night?

They paid me so much.... LOL. I got a review copy for PS4 and said... you know what. I'm still gonna buy the Xbox One version and PC version cause fuck it. :p Support that AAA horror.

Alien:Isolation should reach me soon, can't wait to try it out. While both are survival horror games, they also are fundamentally different though. In one game you are always playing hide and seek from the same enemy throughout the entire game(plus androids) while the other is just pulling you into one mindfuck after the next with varied environments, enemies, bosses with scarce ammo and health. I prefer the style of TEW/RE1-4/Dead Space 1 because of the amount of variation in the game that and well what to upgrade during the game can affect the gameplay depending on what you upgrade.

Can't say I've noticed a difference really in that respect, it just feels tact on at the moment. Granted that could change. Also, I totally appreciate they're too different games which is why I mentioned it going from watching 'Alien' to a 'Hammer Horror' movie. Perhaps I'm just playing this at the wrong time and need something to 'clean my pallet' after the great experience I had playing Alien: Isolation (if that makes sense).

Taruranto

Scarce ammo and heal really doesn't mean anything because there is no resource management due to the check point system, you can essentially bruteforce every situation, and the scripted "horde" sequence completely destroy any semblance of resource management.

Amnesia, Outlast, Alien and PZ2 Remake all came out in recent times and are more Survival Horror than RE4.2 here hopes to be.

-MD-

I'm totally down for a campy gory shooter, but if the game really expects me to be scared during what I've watched... I don't know, it's trying a little too hard. Is this similar to Resident Evil 4 and Shadows of the Damned, i.e "scary," or is it actually horror?

I do like a good really scary game, and I love campy b-game horror, but from what I've seen from the marketing this is sitting somewhere kind of awkwardly in the middle.

It's leaning more toward horror than camp, it's a very tense game. It's nothing like how RE4/SotD are presented.

That was a parody post, right?

As someone who loved Outlast and also loved The Last of Us, Dead Space, would Alien Isolation or The Evil Within be better? Need some halloween scares and only have enough money for one game.

Easy choice in that case, this game.

RytGear

As someone who loved Outlast and also loved The Last of Us, Dead Space, would Alien Isolation or The Evil Within be better? Need some halloween scares and only have enough money for one game.

It's RE4 mixed with Silent Hill. From going around in this thread, I feel that few people played SH which is a shame. I don't see that comparison going around alot, It's mostly compared to TLOU which is not exactly true if people played SH 1 - 4. No campy shit here, except for some of the writing/dialogue. Not the strongest point of the game, imo.

Really depends on your mood. I think TEW really hits all the right Halloween notes since there is so much different weird, creepy, gory stuff in it. But if you want something more personal, and makes you feel MORE vulnerable. Alien might be the way to go.

Can't say I've noticed a difference really in that respect, it just feels tact on at the moment. Granted that could change. Also, I totally appreciate they're too different games which is why I mentioned it going from watching 'Alien' to a 'Hammer Horror' movie. Perhaps I'm just playing this at the wrong time and need something to 'clean my pallet' after the great experience I had playing Alien: Isolation (if that makes sense).

It does. I can't wait to try out Alien. I support any AAA horror game production since we barely got any last gen so, I can't wait.

They paid me so much.... LOL. I got a review copy for PS4 and said... you know what. I'm still gonna buy the Xbox One version and PC version cause fuck it. :p Support that AAA horror.

Do they just show up at your house with a Brinks truck full of cash, or do they Paypal it to you? Or is it literally a hat made of money that you have to disassemble yourself? I've honestly always wondered these things...

Taruranto

It's leaning more toward horror than camp, it's a very tense game. It's nothing like how RE4/SotD are presented.

That was a parody post, right?

Someone should make a gif of the
turret sequence in daylight
with the caption "RETURNING TO SURVIVAL HORROR ROOTS"

Grisby

Well, Alien is a lot better than Outlast. Plus, if you end up enjoying it then there is a lot of game there, tis long.

Haven't gotten far enough into TEW to make a purchase comparison but Alien is good.

Scarce ammo and heal really doesn't mean anything because there is no resource management due to the check point system, you can essentially bruteforce every situation, and the scripted "horde" sequence completely destroy any semblance of resource management.

Amnesia, Outlast, Alien and PZ2 Remake all came out in recent times and are more Survival Horror than RE4.2 here hopes to be.

Can't really comment on PZ2 remake since I don't have a JP/EU Wii. However, all the other games you mentioned all do the same type of shit, hide and seek. Doesn't make them none survival horror games, that's for sure. BUT and this is a big BUT, we rarely if ever get a horror game that is lengthy, varied as fuck, TPS, inspirations from Silent Hill.etc Last of it's kind was Dead Space 1, imo.

-MD-

Someone should make a gif of the
turret sequence in daylight
with the caption "RETURNING TO SURVIVAL HORROR ROOTS"

Haven't gotten that far but why would you even need to brute force any situation? Are you dying on casual and normal?

we rarely if ever get a horror game that is lengthy, varied as fuck, TPS, inspirations from Silent Hill.etc Last of it's kind was Dead Space 1, imo.

And this game is even tighter on the resources which is why I'm really enjoying it, have we heard impressions from anyone playing hard mode yet? I wanna know how restricted ammo is. That and it's just a cool ass game, I love looking at the environments as well, game is really easy on the eyes.

Do they just show up at your house with a Brinks truck full of cash, or do they Paypal it to you? Or is it literally a hat made of money that you have to disassemble yourself? I've honestly always wondered these things...

I think they come in with dat magic top hat and start making it pour dem greens all over Slasher.

Gurish

i don't understand the complaints about graphics for this game, it looks awesome on PS4, i feel like I'm playing in a horror-slasher kind of film, great post process effects and lighting, very good art direction, all creates amazing atmosphere, I really can't complain about the visuals, the game has a unique look that serves the horror themes very well and it's a great success in that regard.

gconsole

Reach chapter 5. I think I start to see the problem with the game. It doesn't know what it wants to be. The enemy design, pace and attack is the same dynamic as RE4 but the scarce ammo force you not to play like RE4. Most of the time you need to do stealth kill, or use the trap which slow down the game a lot. With the clunky and slowness of the character (sprint for a while will make you completely stop) make it very difficult to enjoy.

With all element above, it force the game to feel intense. But I'm not sure I enjoy it. I would prefer something fully utilize the dynamic of its type, either the full action game like RE4 or slow but scare and take time to investigate the area like RE (classic) rather than this.

Edit : Just saw comment above and need to confirm that. The lighting design in this game is second to none. Prep to the bg designer.

Lucael

I'm really enjoying the game, even if I'm at the third chapter but, anyway, one thing that doesn't work for me it's the throwing objects to distract enemies. First, I think an hub to show the point where you're going to throw the object would be useful, I know it sounds stupid in a game like this but it's really impossible to throw stuff for me in a efficient way. Second because when I tried, the enemies always checked for my position and not for the one where the object was thrown.

And this game is even tighter on the resources which is why I'm really enjoying it, have we heard impressions from anyone playing hard mode yet? I wanna know how restricted ammo is.

Exactly. Going by how people killed the boss in chapter 5 on casual. It seems difficulty plays more than just restricted ammo, health and being tough. I hope I'm right, maybe something like A.I changing where they were if you died and all? Who knows.

I think they come in with dat magic top hat and start making it pour dem greens all over Slasher.

Yup they just paid me so much I can quite my day job.

Back to the game though. Why is it that a game that's more survival horror then most, has some intense action moments, and is therefor deemed completely not survival horror anymore? That I don't understand.

-MD-

I'm really enjoying the game, even if I'm at the third chapter but, anyway, one thing that doesn't work for me it's the throwing objects to distract enemies. First, I think an hub to show the point where you're going to throw the object would be useful, I know it sounds stupid in a game like this but it's really impossible to throw stuff for me in a efficient way. Second because when I tried, the enemies always checked for my position and not for the one where the object was thrown.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying but if you hold LT it gives you an arc that shows you where the object will land. I've only used 3 or 4 bottles so far but they've all worked for me in luring out enemies.

Actually this reminds me - is there a way to switch which shoulder the camera is focusing on when you're aiming? It feels like half of my issues are battling the camera to see/aim at stuff. Throwing is a great example, as you'll want to throw something from behind cover, but the camera angle is in such a position you can't actually see or align correctly.

-MD-

Actually this reminds me - is there a way to switch which shoulder the camera is focusing on when you're aiming? It feels like half of my issues are battling the camera to see/aim at stuff. Throwing is a great example, as you'll want to throw something from behind cover, but the camera angle is in such a position you can't actually see or align correctly.

Move like 6 inches to the side and you'll no longer have issues while throwing items.

I only got to play a little last night. I hope the reports of ammo scarcity aren't too accurate. I hate being in fights where I need to treat each bullet like a 24K diamond.

Lucael

I'm not quite sure what you're saying but if you hold LT it gives you an arc that shows you where the object will land. I've only used 3 or 4 bottles so far but they've all worked for me in luring out enemies.

Thank you mate, didn't know that throwing mechanic had a "aim" mode as well like the gun. :)

G-Fex

Absolute mediocrity! Wow what a game. He's right, hit detection is indeed garbage by the looks of it.

Returning to the roots of survival horror =
Evil Roombas, bulletproof mask men, instakills and turret sequences

Yup they just paid me so much I can quite my day job.

Back to the game though. Why is it that a game that's more survival horror game have any more intense action moments, or it's deemed completely not survival horror anymore? That I don't understand.

I think one of the reasons why I love this much more than RE4 is that it's leaning towards horror more consistently throughout (Currently chapter 10) but at the same time it mixes in action, just not alot. Don't know about the later chapters but i'll write my opinions on them when i'm done.

-MD-

Who at Tango thought that was a good idea? Sebastian makes Alan Wake look like a marathon runner.

I love that it punishes people for being bad at the game (more of this please). I saw someone complaining about it yesterday, why are you letting the sprint meter run out completely lol? Just let go of the button before it runs out.

Taruranto

Haven't gotten that far but why would you even need to brute force any situation? Are you dying on casual and normal?

Ok first, dying has almost no repercussion in this game since you just go back to the checkpoint 5 seconds ago.

Second, I said you can bruteforce your way. Even if you end up spending all your medikit/ammos it doesn't matter because at some point there is going to be an horde sequence that is going to give all the ammo you need while taking all the ammo you have now. And since the game design is linear it's not like you'll ever need to go back to an old, monster-filled area. Just run, and rush forward. There is no "resource management" like in old RE, it's impossible to truly lose because you are low on ammo/medikit.

I love that it punishes people for being bad at the game (more of this please). I saw someone complaining about it yesterday, why are you letting the sprint meter run out completely lol? Just let go of the button before it runs out.

Or how about sacrificing what you really want to upgrade for that sprint. It's the first thing I went for lol then I went for the accuracy then the critical hits in each gun. Had no problem with aiming, shooting, running and all that good stuff. You know there is an achievement/trophy for not upgrading anything. That should prove to be an interesting run.

Reedirect

In Chapter 6 and goddamn is this game amazing. The first few chapters were hard as hell though (especially the surprise in the barn). I've been saying this a lot lately, but this game is polarizing right from the start... and I love it so far.

Top Bottom