• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Dude has maybe 3 seconds of sprint and he's falling over on himself. You have to kinda manage, like use a burst of speed, then stop cuz dude is lol

Its like the whole game is working against you. Clunky struggle mechanics, super close narrow FOV so you can't see much, black bars because fuck you this is my movie, sub-30 framerate just to fuck with you more. Bout to start ch.3 now
If it bothers you that much upgrade the sprint..The gel is another resource you have to manage improve your flaws to your playstyle.

Skyzard

Banned
PC version lets you 4K, at 30fps for me.
Here is a downsampled shot:

ibcmJLcy5vbE0J.png

-MD-

Well truthfully I only ever found it to be an issue during the
chainsaw dude encounter
in chapter 3 because he's way faster than you. I'm not sprinting around the normal enemies even when I probably should.

Even that guy I never used more than half my meter, he'd run up on me, I'd sprint for 1 second, he'd swing, I'd shoot and sprint meter would be full again.

Raptor

Dude has maybe 3 seconds of sprint and he's falling over on himself. You have to kinda manage, like use a burst of speed, then stop cuz dude is lol

Its like the whole game is working against you. Clunky struggle mechanics, super close narrow FOV so you can't see much, black bars because fuck you this is my movie, sub-30 framerate just to fuck with you more. Bout to start ch.3 now

Sounds like a fucking nightmare.

:(

ak1276

Banned

Confirmed VJC is horrible at vidja games.

So any tips, tricks, and secrets people want to share?

So far I've discovered that shooting
statues give You some kind of keys

Anything else? Is there a reason to burn stuff other than bodies?

Yeah it's been a strange experience of "Yep, that felt amazing" and "Eww" so far.

Like when some Ganado lady busts through a door and I do a slick revolver headshot that would make Leon proud....amazing.

But then you get janked around in close quarters attempting to do the bottle-->stealth takedown combo, or flail with your piss poor melee....eww

Gimme a few chapters to warm up I guess.

DVCY201

Just beat Chapter 3, 1:47. I'm going through it pretty fast, hoping the difficulty will increase later

Game is amazing so far. Playing on 360, framerate is actually decent.

MAX PAYMENT

Just got this on ps4. The moment the game gives you control, the frame rate is TERRIBLE. should've got the Xbox one version.

That opener was scary as shit. Very tense and gory. The game is grippy as shit so far. I like it.

-MD-

Eh. I consider 'masterful' to mean 'actually good at it.'

He's not. It's too apparent
or too fucking sad.

This is on point.

I feel like a lot of people are probably passing by crates and objects you can smash that give you resources, they blend in with the environment really well usually.

Riposte

Spending almost the entire first hour in forced walk and/or injured walk was not a good way to start. It opens up a bit more after that, but I'm still trying to get used to the combat system honestly. It's doing that thing where you suck but need to not suck to defeat the enemies except that it's hard to not suck because of these struggle mechanics and a sprint meter that makes Alan Wake look like a marathon runner.

You were expecting RE4-2, but it was me, RE6-2!!!

I'm okay with this.

Eh. I consider 'masterful' to mean 'actually good at it.'

He's not. It's too apparent
or too fucking sad.

You guys are scary.

oh man the awful framerate on PS4 plus the garbage FOV is making me want to just put it in the mailer and send it back to gamefly. Super glad i did not waste $60 on it!

Nibel

Okay, I'm in chapter 6 now and just closed the game. The beginning was indeed slow, but man does it pick up at chapter 3 and goes crazier from there. I love how much RE4 vibe this thing has.

The game can be pretty janky at times, for example when trying to interact with the environment or the way the hit detection works. Texture-pop up happens here and there (#thankscarmack) and the game has some diseases of other TPS games (forced slow-walk for example).

But, what a great fucking package so far. The beginning gives you no real impression of the rest of the game; it pushes you from one crazy situation to another and you have to use all your creativity to try to solve the challenges the game throws at you. The game has a lot of mindfuck moments that just happen out of nowhere and throw you into unexpected scenarios that create a lot of tension since ammo is scarce and enemies can fucking eat you like lunch.

So yeah, the game is very hard, but I didn't die very often yet and I have no idea how some managed to die 100-200 times which just tells me they sucked at the game. Every encounter need to be analyzed and then solved; playing it like a regular TPS will make you its bitch. Lure enemies in good sections of levels where you have advantages, make use of none-killing ammo as well and try to create burn combos.

All in all, from what I've played so far, the game has its set of problems but they don't kill my enjoyment of the game. I love the encounter design, dozens of different enemy types and the overall style. Let's hope it gets even better.

I never got caught by the chain saw guy, you sprint when you hear him reving up to swing and you dodge every time. I'm very glad that enemies actually come at you rather than offering you tea first like in Resident Evil 4.

Ok, I will admit I let myself die once to see if your head would come off. And it does it does!

I'm guessing to take the attention of enemies. I also noticed if you had your latern on, enemies could see you easily then when you have it turned off. Shooting at the legs lets the enemies fall faster so you could burn them. Shooting bomb traps when enemies are around or near it is always the best way to go instead of wasting ammo. Upgrading your accuracy and critical hits of each weapon will help Sebastian not suck ass with aiming and shooting because you know Sebastian is a pretty cool guy eh insanity and doesn't afraid of anything except he isn't cocky or a superhero (until you make him one when you upgrade) Also, going for the sprint upgrade first is the best first upgrade decision.

Just got this on ps4. The moment the game gives you control, the frame rate is TERRIBLE. should've got the Xbox one version.

That opener was scary as shit. Very tense and gory. The game is grippy as shit so far. I like it.

What the Fuck is this, how do you know the ONE version is better for sure yet, or are you just talking unknowable shit? Prove it or shut it. I'm waiting for DF before I start saying the ONE version is better than anything.

Enjoying the game, but very disapointed at the same time.

Try and open yourself up to a new idea. This is a new game on top of an already known format. It's doing things somewhat different in what you would come to expect.
Well, as far as I'm concerned, it sure is different from what I expected. As far as doing something new, I really don't see any originality so far. The game is skipping a lot of the fundamentals from the classics it's inspired from, yet the "new" elements are far from fresh, leaving me with a pretty linear and dull experience.
Again, I don't dislike it but I'm quite disapointed.

Can you name a recent game that's more fitting of being called a survival-horror title?

I sure can't.
I can: Lone Survivor

-MD-

What? It was incredibly easy. Just use the traps in the environment. Beat him using the falling pikes in the house.

Or just shoot him half a dozen times with a shotgun, the fight was easy but it was awesome.

I can: Lone Survivor

I dropped that game about 2 hours in, wasn't feeling it very much at all. I'll give it another try one day.

I meant the way it went from
being all stealth kills to suddenly hordes of mobs after, as well as a guy with a chainsaw. Where did all those extra ones come from? How did they suddenly appear all around the barn.

It was funny watching them from the upper floor just run around the barn forever though.

I actually never fought more than 3 enemies at once in that entire section, I stealth killed every enemy and then when I
triggered the boss
2 more enemies came out from somewhere.

Accuracy doesn't seem very useful to me, at least on the PC with a mouse. I'm usually shooting an enemy from pretty close, and if not I'm using the rifle. Critical is the most important weapon stat.

Do your stats transfer to nightmare mode? Doesn't seem like there will be enough to fully upgrade, and I've been pretty diligent.

What? It was incredibly easy. Just use the traps in the environment. Beat him using the falling pikes in the house.

being all stealth kills to suddenly hordes of mobs after, as well as a guy with a chainsaw. Where did all those extra ones come from? How did they suddenly appear all around the barn.

It was funny watching them from the upper floor just run around the barn forever though.

What the Fuck is this, how do you know the ONE version is better for sure yet, or are you just talking unknowable shit? Prove it or shut it. I'm waiting for DF before I start saying the ONE version is better than anything.

wow that poster may very well be wrong but there is no reason for the hostility. one thing is for sure - the game runs terribly on ps4.

DVCY201

Or just shoot him half a dozen times with a shotgun, the fight was easy but it was awesome.

That too! Entire section was awesome. Just tons of smart design decisions, and genuine surprises. Only thing I wish for is a map.

Oh, okay then, I get that.

Only two extra people showed up for me.

From the people that got the X1 version and me included, have seen the frame rate be much more consistent. Must have something to do with the day one 7.5GB update on X1 which for some unknown reason is still no where to be seen on the PS4 version.

Those are
all the haunted you didn't kill, i fought him Mano a Mano since I made sure to kill every single haunted before facing him.

Reebot

So yeah seems like chapter 3 is where the game begins proper. I'm really trying to like this but there are so many absolutely bizarre design choices at play. So far I wouldn't call it the vengeance of an angry god unleashed on an unjust world but i also wouldn't call it fun.

Nobody knows for sure but what we do know is a certain boss in a certain chapter was killed much differently in casual compared to survival difficulty which makes things pretty interesting.

Oooo I like the sound of that. Love it when harder difficulties change things up beyond how many hits you can take.

Are the random enemy placements/scares from the demo present in the final game?

bigmac996

Sorry if this has been asked already, but I was wondering when it's appropriate to burn bodies? Should I always be doing it? Even after a stealth kill? It seems that bodies don't always get back up.

Loving the game so far by the way (just beat ch 2).

Yeah. Doesn't feel that way to me

There is literally no benefit to the black bars, the game doesn't feel more cinematic and actually makes it difficult to see things that are important. I'm getting used to it, but still they would have been better off without the black bars, or at least increase the FOV.

Glad this game seems to be as awesome as it should be. I didn't preorder and with Bayonetta 2 coming out so soon I plan on waiting for a sale but the more reviews I watch the more I want to take my ass to Wal-Mart and start installing it on my PC now.

ak1276

Banned
There is literally no benefit to the black bars, the game doesn't feel more cinematic and actually makes it difficult to see things that are important. I'm getting used to it, but still they would have been better off without the black bars, or at least increase the FOV.

Well, as long as we're talking about feelings, I'm completely apathetic towards the black bars. I didn't care when I booted up the game, and I didn't care 2 hours in.
I don't mind them. At all. I don't care about their lack of benefit, and I really don't have any problem seeing these important things.

I understand that people aren't going to like the black bars, and/or can't play with the FOV at it's current setting, because they get headaches. I don't think the FOV is set to such a degree that it makes it impossible to play, or even more difficult.

Top Bottom