• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

I think one of the reasons why I love this much more than RE4 is that it's leaning towards horror more consistently throughout (Currently chapter 10) but at the same time it mixes in action, just not alot. Don't know about the later chapters but i'll write my opinions on them when i'm done.

Start at 11, the game does feel to shift tones a bit, but still always felt like it had a nice, good dose of horror eevn still, thought just not as much persays as the start.

Reebot

Hard to believe the once amazing director who gave us the village opening to RE 4 now brings hold R1 and sneak around scripted ai. Not a great start here game.

Raptor

Absolute mediocrity! Wow what a game. He's right, hit detection is indeed garbage by the looks of it.

Returning to the roots of survival horror =
Evil Roombas, bulletproof mask men, instakills and turret sequences

jesus chist!!

So far I only got a few enemies with guns and that is from chapter 3 and then end of chapter 5 then middle to end of chapter 6. Otherwise, I didn't see any more. I'm on chapter 10 now so I don't know. This game is like RE4 and Silent Hill mixed together, except that Sebastian is not the cocky superhero that leon is. He is a fragile and weak human being.

Thanks for the feedback

so xbone version runs better confirmed? How bad is it on ps4?

What/where is this BS coming from? I have been looking at this game and vids for the last few hours and everything points to the X1 version looking worse. People have said the X1 version looks washed out and all the usual complaints. Here's a decent comparison

https://translate.google.de/transla...vergleich-PS4-vs-Xbox-One-1139140/&edit-text=

Gurish

Thanks for the feedback

What/where is this BS coming from? I have been looking at this game and vids for the last few hours and everything points to the X1 version looking worse. People have said the X1 version looks washed out and all the usual complaints. Here's a decent comparison

https://translate.google.de/transla...vergleich-PS4-vs-Xbox-One-1139140/&edit-text=
Yea it does look worse, but people are saying it runs better FPS wise, less slowdowns than PS4 version.

personally I prefer the better visuals of the PS4 as i don't find the framerate to be too bad, let's just wait for DF on this.

SUCCESS

We actually managed to make it playable. Setting Nvidia Inspector to Vertical Sync: 1/4 refresh rate (with the framerate unlocked)and most of the stuttering is gone, finito, borta. It's locked at 48fps for some reason (should be 36), but I'm not complaining! It's actually playable!

No thanks to you Bethango!

Hawk269

Thanks for the feedback

Not sure if it is BS since people in this thread have said that they have felt no slowdown in frame rate on the Xbox One version and PS4 players complaining about frame rate drops. I don't think anyone said the Xbox One version looks better, most of what I have read in this thread is about the frame rate.

-MD-

Quick question, do you not get to upgrade inbetween chapters?

You upgrade when you come across save points, they're usually during a chapter not at the end of one.

Something that kind of pissed me off-

I HATE DLC that makes the game easier. I had no option to not install this "free shotgun preorder lol" thing. So inferuriating.

When are you actually supposed to find the shotgun?

Chapter

I didn't even redeem my preorder dlc on the PC version. Didn't want the extra resources ;)

Artex

Banned
Not sure if it is BS since people in this thread have said that they have felt no slowdown in frame rate on the Xbox One version and PS4 players complaining about frame rate drops. I don't think anyone said the Xbox One version looks better, most of what I have read in this thread is about the frame rate.

Higher standards for the PS4 users :D

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

I HATE DLC that makes the game easier. I had no option to not install this "free shotgun preorder lol" thing. So inferuriating.

Your welcome and I have been saying that. XB1 has a consistent framerate while PS4 looks sharper. I had one slowdown in chapter 4 and one at the end of chapter 6 and in the beginning of chapter 9. That's about it so far. I think it has something to do with XB1 having a day one 7.5GB update.

ak1276

Banned

Chapter 3
I think?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

Like, a room after your DLC unlocks. Don't stress. :p

Hawk269

I have read that the PC version has an option to turn off the grain filter, do the console versions also have this? My Rig is hooked up to a 4k TV and I run most stuff at 4k, with it using IDTech SLI won't work, so I am most likely going console for this game, but I HATE grain filter and want to know if it can be turned off on the Xbox One/PS4 version.

Thanks to anyone that can answer as I am heading to the game store shortly.

Nope. For example the final upgrade for Sebastian's health bar is 20,000 amount of fucking green gel.

If I recall right, when you beat the game you get like 50,000 green gel :D

I have read that the PC version has an option to turn off the grain filter, do the console versions also have this? My Rig is hooked up to a 4k TV and I run most stuff at 4k, with it using IDTech SLI won't work, so I am most likely going console for this game, but I HATE grain filter and want to know if it can be turned off on the Xbox One/PS4 version.

Yep in console versions.

Didn't realize that was an option, thanks. I'm sure this has been answered before but when does the game pick up? Like, stop becoming a walking simulator.

By chapter 2 - 3. However, it is recommended that you crouch and take things slowly since some levels in the game is littered with traps and the like. Being careful is always better than well being dead lol.

Xpliskin

This first chapter is really something man. Super close FOV which makes checking out the area like every other stealth game known to man a challenge + slow forced walking everywhere + janky animations + sub-30 framerates = bad first impression

***_******, you got this game yet

what is survival horror again

When you survive the onslaught of someone calling you a moneyhat on both gaf and your youtube video review? ;)

1MJCDOz.jpg

Would you look at that !
Our friend is back.

Trollface.png

image.php

MD, I think he's sending you a message.

I've been hyped for the game for a long time and I'd love to play it. As it stands right now, it's unplayable, even with $2500 worth of hardware.

I'm not here for a specific reason, I'm just saying there are a lot of issues with the game, or at least the PC-version of the game. As I mentioned earlier, shady business shouldn't be rewarded.

Here's a steam thread with people happy with the game posting their specs:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/268050/discussions/0/619568682071622962/

This first chapter is really something man. Super close FOV which makes checking out the area like every other stealth game known to man a challenge + slow forced walking everywhere + janky animations + sub-30 framerates = bad first impression

***_******, you got this game yet

Bout to finish chapter 3.

The first chapter.....it didn't do much for me either. Spending almost the entire first hour in forced walk and/or injured walk was not a good way to start. It opens up a bit more after that, but I'm still trying to get used to the combat system honestly. It's doing that thing where you suck but need to not suck to defeat the enemies except that it's hard to not suck because of these struggle mechanics and a sprint meter that makes Alan Wake look like a marathon runner.

Someone said you turn into captain falcon and punch holes through people lol.

Badass, will have to try it out as soon as I can. As I said, upgrading can really change the way people play the game depending on what they upgrade.

If I recall right, when you beat the game you get like 50,000 green gel :D

Damn, that is exciting. As soon as I finish the game i'll be going to casual difficulity and upgrade Sebastian completely while going for the collectibles. I'll save the AKUMU playthrough for last. Will be going for a no upgrade playthrough as well as Nightmare.

-MD-

The first chapter.....it didn't do much for me either. Spending almost the entire first hour in forced walk and/or injured walk was not a good way to start. It opens up a bit more after that, but I'm still tryign to get used to the combat system honestly. It's doing that thing where you suck but need to not suck to defeat the enemies except that it's hard to not suck because of these struggle mechanics and a sprint meter that makes Alan Wake look like a marathon runner.

If you're using your entire sprint meter you're probably not playing correctly.

Alright, so theres no cap on the amount of green gel you can have at one point right?
After SlasherJPC told us you can reset the contents of a locker by saving and loading that save, I gamed the system and made sure all of the 8 lockers I oopened had green goo. Regret spending a lot of it on melee though.:(
That's what I get I guess.

Yup. you can slide it from 0 to 100. Welcome anytime.

-MD-

I had actually wanted to ask this last night but, is there any to to crank the film grain up even further on PC?

The first chapter.....it didn't do much for me either. Spending almost the entire first hour in forced walk and/or injured walk was not a good way to start. It opens up a bit more after that, but I'm still tryign to get used to the combat system honestly. It's doing that thing where you suck but need to not suck to defeat the enemies except that it's hard to not suck because of these struggle mechanics and a sprint meter that makes Alan Wake look like a marathon runner.

Dude has maybe 3 seconds of sprint and he's falling over on himself. You have to kinda manage, like use a burst of speed, then stop cuz dude is lol

Its like the whole game is working against you. Clunky struggle mechanics, super close narrow FOV so you can't see much, black bars because fuck you this is my movie, sub-30 framerate just to fuck with you more. Bout to start ch.3 now

-MD-

It would be fine if he didn't stop dead in his tracks when it ran out. Just make us hobble for a few seconds or something.

He should lay on the ground imo. Honestly if you let the sprint completely run out you deserve to die, it's not the most realistic mechanic but it makes sense in how the game plays.

If you're using your entire sprint meter you're probably not playing correctly.

Well truthfully I only ever found it to be an issue during the
chainsaw dude encounter
in chapter 3 because he's way faster than you. I'm not sprinting around the normal enemies even when I probably should.

Top Bottom