• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Because of work and my grad midterm tomorrow I've had a total of 45 mins with this game :'(

Out of curiosity, how are people dealing with the grain filter; on or off?

On survival difficulty, no. I am hoping it to be such with Nightmare/AKUMU difficulty.

I think it's mixed actually on survival. I know especially earlier on, I died a few times in chapter 3 and upon going into a building again. There was either no enemies, or 1 enemy, or a enemy busted the door down behind me. Probably a case by case situation.

Just got to ch.8, also I upgraded my sprint to 8 seconds so I'm having zero problems with that.

Ain't nobody got time for no 3 second sprint!!

-MD-

Out of curiosity, how are people dealing with the grain filter; on or off?

On, love it.

Is there any way to increase it on PC past the maximum allowed?

Well, as long as we're talking about feelings, I'm completely apathetic towards the black bars. I didn't care when I booted up the game, and I didn't care 2 hours in.
I don't mind them. At all. I don't care about their lack of benefit, and I really don't have any problem seeing these important things.

I feel the same.

wow that poster may very well be wrong but there is no reason for the hostility. one thing is for sure - the game runs terribly on ps4.

Yea you're right, I didn't mean to come off so dickish, I'm just waiting for the professionals to tell me which version is best. Everyone else in this thread seems to be assuming things based on hearsay and spouting it as fact. I'm just annoyed at the situation and took it out on this dude. I apologize guys. The DF verdict will definitely be interesting if any of the ONE talk is true though and will be my first multi-platform game on 0NE.

ak1276

Banned
This framerate though

Nothing's happening around me and the game's still chugging.

I've never been really sensitive to framerate, but I haven't noticed it 'chugging' except once or twice (the beginning of the game, and once in Chapter 4.)

Where is it 'chugging' at? Also, PS4 or PC?

The exclusion of Xbone was not a mistake.

Well, as long as we're talking about feelings, I'm completely apathetic towards the black bars. I didn't care when I booted up the game, and I didn't care 2 hours in.
I don't mind them. At all. I don't care about their lack of benefit, and I really don't have any problem seeing these important things.

I understand that people aren't going to like the black bars, and/or can't play with the FOV at it's current setting, because they get headaches. I don't think the FOV is set to such a degree that it makes it impossible to play, or even more difficult.

Good for you, I'm glad, but he has valid complaints, that is all. I'm still enjoying the heck out of the game, I can just see where he's coming from.

From the people that got the X1 version and me included, have seen the frame rate be much more consistent. Must have something to do with the day one 7.5GB update on X1 which for some unknown reason is still no where to be seen on the PS4 version.

Yea my bad, I kind of blew up there, I'm just pissed this kind of shit keeps happening every time a game comes out. I want the version with the best framerate and I'd love to trust you guys but I have to know for sure before dropping 60 bones.

jacobeid

Banned
Glad this game seems to be as awesome as it should be. I didn't preorder and with Bayonetta 2 coming out so soon I plan on waiting for a sale but the more reviews I watch the more I want to take my ass to Wal-Mart and start installing it on my PC now.

Up until about a week ago I was thinking the same. TeW is the perfect game to hold me over for the glory that is Bayo :)

Just got to ch.8, also I upgraded my sprint to 8 seconds so I'm having zero problems with that.

Ain't nobody got time for no 3 second sprint!!

nicolas-cage-fells-good-con-air-head-space-1409843288n.gif

Feels good, doesn't it? It's the first thing I upgraded as soon as I reached Chapter 4.

ak1276

Banned
Good for you, I'm glad, but he has valid complaints, that is all. I'm still enjoying the heck out of the game, I can just see where he's coming from.

I guess that's the thing; I can't, really, because they have been such a non-issue for me that I can't fathom them being an issue for anyone.

I've never been really sensitive to framerate, but I haven't noticed it 'chugging' except once or twice (the beginning of the game, and once in Chapter 4.)

Pretty much all of chapter 3 runs like ass.

I guess that's the thing; I can't, really, because they have been such a non-issue for me that I can't fathom them being an issue for anyone.

Nah you can but you don't want to admit it.

Yea my bad, I kind of blew up there, I'm just pissed this kind of shit keeps happening every time a game comes out. I want the version with the best framerate and I'd love to trust you guys but I have to know for sure before dropping 60 bones.

Clearly understandable. Better safe than sorry, I advised other people to wait as I am not very, very, very sensitive to framerates but even then I noticed slow downs in a few places.

ak1276

Banned
Pretty much all of chapter 3 runs like ass.

... Huh.
Once again, I'm not sensitive to framerate, but to me it seemed pretty consistent, and if it did slow down, it definitely didn't slow down to any degree that made the game unplayable, or even affected the gameplay.

Just started to dig into this after almost entirely blacking out footage. Beat the first chapter. As far as intro's go, it's decent. I have no idea what is going on of course. Pretty fun so far, but why is Sebastian
suddenly able to run perfectly fine at the end of the chapter?

Up until about a week ago I was thinking the same. TeW is the perfect game to hold me over for the glory that is Bayo :)

Fuck. I bought it. Should be here on Thursday which is great because I have that day off. Destiny is starting to get old anyway, I wonder if I can beat this game in a week. :)

I really need to be saving money.

PS4 in Chapter 4 when
you kill the guy who was scratching his brains out
. Had to be a like 25fps in that room just looking around at walking speed.

On the plus side the game's getting weird(er) now.

I think it's mixed actually on survival. I know especially earlier on, I died a few times in chapter 3 and upon going into a building again. There was either no enemies, or 1 enemy, or a enemy busted the door down behind me. Probably a case by case situation.

Interesting. Didn't happen with me but it's nice to read different shit happening to different folks, pretty cool.

ak1276

Banned
PS4 in Chapter 4 when
you kill the guy who was scratching his brains out
. Had to be a like 25fps in that room just looking around at walking speed.

Okay. That's actually where mine noticeable slow down.
That's one of maybe 2 spots that I've run into though.

Just got this on ps4. The moment the game gives you control, the frame rate is TERRIBLE. should've got the Xbox one version.

That opener was scary as shit. Very tense and gory. The game is grippy as shit so far. I like it.

Sorry for jumping on your shit, I'm just pissed at this whole situation and am waiting to know for sure because I would've assumed the PS4 version would be best as well but it does seem like as soon as we get used to all multi-platform games being better on one console, a game comes along that bucks the trend. Hopefully PS4 gets a patch.

I'm guessing to take the attention of enemies. I also noticed if you had your latern on, enemies could see you easily then when you have it turned off. Shooting at the legs lets the enemies fall faster so you could burn them. Shooting bomb traps when enemies are around or near it is always the best way to go instead of wasting ammo. Upgrading your accuracy and critical hits of each weapon will help Sebastian not suck ass with aiming and shooting because you know Sebastian is a pretty cool guy eh insanity and doesn't afraid of anything except he isn't cocky or a superhero (until you make him one when you upgrade) Also, going for the sprint upgrade first is the best first upgrade decision.

thanks for all the tips

Also, a weapon question. Are there more than one of each weapon "type"? Is it like Resident Evil 4 where I may waste a bunch of goop/cash leveling up one handgun and then you just get an overall better one later?

Yea it does look worse, but people are saying it runs better FPS wise, less slowdowns than PS4 version.

personally I prefer the better visuals of the PS4 as i don't find the framerate to be too bad, let's just wait for DF on this.

Oh OK, because read the X1 runs at a lower resolution too which seems insane given the games last gen origins(correct me if I'm wrong) hopefully DF does a head to head on this, might not be a big enough game, did they even get the shadow of mordor one up yet? Also given the last few posts it sounds like they did a horrible job porting this game to current gen consoles and the PS4 version really sounds like ass, really sounds like I'll be skipping this game now.

Sanctuary

It's exagerated.

Game runs smooth as butter with 0 dips on my end.
Super fast load times.

Who to believe ?

The game itself is great.

No idea what they are complaining about on Steam, but I haven't had any noticeable framerate issues, but for my first playthrough I left it at the default 30fps. Loading times are ~3s after a death and less 5s for each chapter.

I will however say there are numerous glitches that have happened throughout, and I'm not sure if it's across all platforms or just PC.

I'm also wondering if it's possible that the 4gb recommendation is actually accurate. There's no actual texture option (that I've found), and while it may just be the engine or they simply got lazy and used a mix of low res (last gen) and higher res, but the texture consistency is all over the fucking map. Some things look really nice, while others seriously look like what you would see on the PS3 or 360. Not just a few textures here and there either. So I was actually kind of curious if the Id5 might have some scaling going on, but I have no idea how that engine works, and only know that it uses megatextures.

jackdoe

This game is pretty much The Last of Us with a Mikami twist. I'm kind of tempted to turn off film grain as it's distracting as hell, but I kind of want to play the game as the developers wanted it to be played.

thanks for all the tips

Also, a weapon question. Are there more than one of each weapon "type"? Is it like Resident Evil 4 where I may waste a bunch of goop/cash leveling up one handgun and then you just get an overall better one later?

So far I am on chapter 10 and it's a no. However, I heard you get the
Magnum
later on but I don't know if that covers your trusty from the beginning of the game Revolver but other then that no, so feel free to upgrade what you feel is best to suit your playstyle.

MAX PAYMENT

Sorry for jumping on your shit, I'm just pissed at this whole situation and am waiting to know for sure because I would've assumed the PS4 version would be best as well but it does seem like as soon as we get used to all multi-platform games being better on one console, a game comes along that bucks the trend. Hopefully PS4 gets a patch.

There's a comparison vid by a German site that shows that the ps4 version is at a higher res, but performs worse in comparison. Google it. Hopefully it will get patched.

Oh OK, because read the X1 runs at a lower resolution too which seems insane given the games last gen origins(correct me if I'm wrong) hopefully DF does a head to head on this, might not be a big enough game, did they even get the shadow of mordor one up yet?

Yea the SoM one has been up, but it would be nice if they could start getting the h2h's up the day of for us day one'rs. Though I should just be happy we have a website doing this in the first place. Beggars can't be choosers but damn it if we can't be impatient.

Can anyone please share their strategy on how they're killing
the invisible enemies
properly? I'm on Ch. 5 on Survival mode and I've been doing well so far, but man..

I try to track their movements from the environment, but it's hard for me to judge it accurately every time. I've resorted to punching the air until I've hit one and then try to aim quickly and shoot, but it looks ridiculous and I'm usually ending up with a stomp to my brains.

Also, is there a run up + kill combo like in RE4? If not I'm really wishing there was.

Sanctuary

So who's into shot leg match stick combo on crowds? As impractical as it sounds it's pretty effective.

That is one of my biggest gripes about the game. Leg + match replaces Leg (or body) + knife and it's nowhere near as good. Melee, even upgrade still does jack for damage compared to the damage you take while trying to finish them off. Not just talking about RE4 either. In all of the RE games (at least up through RE4) you would get a whole lot of mileage out of the knife, and you could even beat the game with just it. Dead Space was all about dismemberment, but even in that game you could effectively kill with melee better compared to this

the invisible enemies
properly? I'm on Ch. 5 on Survival mode and I've been doing well so far, but man..

I try to track their movements from the environment, but it's hard for me to judge it accurately every time. I've resorted to punching the air until I've hit one and then try to aim quickly and shoot, but it looks ridiculous and I'm usually ending up with a stomp to my brains.

Not really sure about "efficient", but this is what I do and it's "effective"
just watch for environmental cues from their movement and then look for the Predator like blur and fire. The shotgun will knock them on to the floor and if you're close enough you can burn them before they vanish again. Otherwise, just use pistol shots to hit their chest and pull them out of stealth mode. Exploding bolts work too, but seems like a waste on them.

Hawk269

What the Fuck is this, how do you know the ONE version is better for sure yet, or are you just talking unknowable shit? Prove it or shut it. I'm waiting for DF before I start saying the ONE version is better than anything.

Take a step back and take 3 deap breaths of fresh air. It is ok, it is just a game.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Do the enemies/boxes etc drop more pistol ammo if you use the pistol more?

I've only used it once so far for three shots, and I'm finding barely any ammo. I still haven't found enough to fill capacity and I'm an hour into chapter 3...

Are you not supposed to use your gun at all?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dang. Well try this on for size. I wanted the game on Steam.
This morning at 8:05 I was goin' about my business and literally the next thing I was about to do was set the game to download so I could play it tonight. But then my phone rings and turns out I was needed urgently at work and had to drop everythang to get down there.

So I was super pissed because my whole night was revolving around having that download started in the morning. I also had my PC off so I couldn't do remote computing.

Anywho.. so it wasn't until about lunchtime it even occured to me I could buy the game in a store on a disc. So here we have it! My first and likely only non-digital PS4 game. It was a necessity. I'm fascinated by the packaging. Real talk: the last AAA game I bought on disc day-one was skyrim.

the invisible enemies

Do you have your
crossbow?

DukeBobby

I'm part way through chapter 6 on survival, and I haven't come close to running out of ammo yet.

Enemy drops have been very kind to me.

overcast

Seems to me like generally positive impressions. Probably just need to put a patch in for that framerate.

Probably not going to be able to buy it for a few weeks since Bayo 2 is next week.

Yibby

the invisible enemies

Use your
crossbow. The projected line will "hit" the invisible guy. So you know that someone is there when the line does not hit the ground, but stops mid air.

Top Bottom