• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Jharp

Holy shit, yeah, fuck this black bar nonsense super hard. I can't see shit.

Might return to Amazon and buy the PC version. Seriously fuck this.

Between this, Alien: Isolation that a gaffer gave me, and SoM, I'm happier than a pig in shit. I mean seriously this game is amazing, and I am just at the beginning of Chapter 7 and I can hardly wait to see what else this game has in store for me because MAN this game is weird and spooky. I just love the vibe of it.

Did anyone else notice that when you are in stealth mode that the audio becomes slightly muted? Nice touch.

I hope I can get some more oddjob work so I can start saving up to buy a Wii U because Bayonetta 2 looks amazing, and pay back some kindnesses on GAF.

Man this fall has been insane for high caliber games, just mindboggling after such a depressing and fucked up year for me it's a relief to see so much happening in video games.

Hah, yes. I really owe you guys in this thread for re-assuring me it was okay to opt out of performance for the time being. I'm so used to wanting the best performance, so it was hard to let go of that. But I'll be sure to play this again on PC when I get better.

I'll have to look into hooking up my PC to my TV too.

Hopefully the power of The Evil Within will kick that cancer in its ass.

Hang in there man, I had a cancer scare not too long ago on top of a bunch of other shit.

Hang in there!

WHAT THE FUCK. I was loving this game up until now. Now I kinda hate it. This is the worst boss battle I've ever seen.

Not gonna lie, you see this all the time in OT. Player enjoys game, player gets stuck in battle, player rages and grows impatient, player deems it worst thing he has ever played/done in a videogame. Your not learning the patterns right. Take your time. Don't rush it. Stay behind anything you can, pop a shot, and run to the other side like the other gaffer said. Take a break and come back to it, that might help.

Did you watch any footage of the game before buying it?

To be fair though, I didn't as well because I was on a media blackout on this game however, since I watch a fuck ton of bluray movies, it doesn't bother me in the slightest but I could easily see why it would bother other people.

I'm watching my friend play this on PS4 and it's hurting my head. Everything taking place outside runs at like 20fps or lower, and the cutscenes seem to have really terrible pop-in. I was pretty excited to check this game out, but both the visuals and story are pretty disappointing. I really disliked chapter 1, purely because of how the story's chopped up and hard to follow. It seems like chapter 2's starting to explain some stuff though, so hopefully it gets better.

-MD-

To be fair though, I didn't as well because I was on a media blackout on this game however, since I watch a fuck ton of bluray movies, it doesn't bother me in the slightest but I could easily see why it would bother other people.

Even on blackout I would think someone would watch a couple minutes of footage just to see what the game was like.

MattyG

Banned
Not gonna lie, you see this all the time in OT. Player enjoys game, player gets stuck in battle, player rages and grows impatient, player deems it worst thing he has ever played/done in a videogame. Your not learning the patterns right. Take your time. Don't rush it. Stay behind anything you can, pop a shot, and run to the other side like the other gaffer said. Take a break and come back to it, that might help.
Maybe worst boss battle I've ever played is a bit hyperbolic, but it's not the best that's for damn sure. I just think it feels poorly designed. I've learned the patterns, I've tried different strategies, everything. These fucking insta-deaths from an enemy that you can barely outrun are awful, and there's a bunch of seemingly weak spots that I just found out (by looking up a walkthrough) don't matter. It's just very frustrating, especially since it seemingly presents itself as a boss battle that requires prescision to hit moving targets and then turns out, "nope, lol, just gotta hit it a bunch anywhere on it's body". If I just have to shoot it anywhere DON'T PUT 5+ WEAK SPOT LOOKING THINGS ON THE DAMN THING.

LifeLike

Mikami's cheesiness is definitely there. Its all over the place. Love the game so far (just finished chapter 3). So far the only downside is the framerate, especially after playing TLOU Remastered multi for months and wolfenstein TNO recently.

I'm watching my friend play this on PS4 and it's hurting my head. Everything taking place outside runs at like 20fps or lower, and the cutscenes seem to have really terrible pop-in. I was pretty excited to check this game out, but both the visuals and story are pretty disappointing. I really disliked chapter 1, purely because of how the story's chopped up and hard to follow. It seems like chapter 2's starting to explain some stuff though, so hopefully it gets better.

You're setting yourself up for more disappointment. It's the type of game that has it's answers more in the enviornmets, notes and newspapers/missing persons paper that you collect in the game. That and well the ending im sure explains atleast some of what the fuck is going on. I am on chapter 10 and I still don't know what the fuck is going on within the story of the game. They should make an ad by saying "This is your brain on drugs" then commence to show you sliced up together TEW footage of various levels, enemies and bosses.

That is one of my biggest gripes about the game. Leg + match replaces Leg (or body) + knife and it's nowhere near as good. Melee, even upgrade still does jack for damage compared to the damage you take while trying to finish them off. Not just talking about RE4 either. In all of the RE games (at least up through RE4) you would get a whole lot of mileage out of the knife, and you could even beat the game with just it. Dead Space was all about dismemberment, but even in that game you could effectively kill with melee better compared to this

Yea, maybe Shinji Mikami realized how OP the shoot leg melee is and decided not to add that. But I'm kinda annoyed how even the stomp is nowhere near effective. Still can't help but feel like there were influences from the last of us in this game.

Okay, Chapter 4 is where the game finally feels like it's sort of finding itself (still can't find the framerate though, ba dum tsh). The traps, the pacing, the weirdness; all of it worked for me. More of that, less jank pls

yeah, just beat ch.4, definitely a step up from the previous ones. Rather liked most of the second half.

Maybe worst boss battle I've ever played is a bit hyperbolic, but it's not the best that's for damn sure. I just think it feels poorly designed. I've learned the patterns, I've tried different strategies, everything. These fucking insta-deaths from an enemy that you can barely outrun are awful, and there's a bunch of seemingly weak spots that I just found out (by looking up a walkthrough) don't matter. It's just very frustrating, especially since it seemingly presents itself as a boss battle that requires prescision to hit moving targets and then turns out, "nope, lol, just gotta hit it a bunch anywhere on it's body". If I just have to shoot it anywhere DON'T PUT 5+ WEAK SPOT LOOKING THINGS ON THE DAMN THING.

Well it's like any boss usually with a weak point, if you hit it, it does way more damage but can be killed otherwise. Also don't outrun, run to the side.

MattyG

Banned
Well it's like any boss usually with a weak point, if you hit it, it does way more damage but can be killed otherwise. Also don't outrun, run to the side.
I guess it was mostly my fault for assuming I understood the structure of the boss then. I figured that what seemed like the last stage required a very specific weak spot to be hit, but my assumption was wrong. Oh well, back to it I guess. Hopefully I can get it by just spamming all my ammo.

It's the
way it jump and flops down on me fo the insta kill, AND GETS IT even when I'm 20 feet to the left of where it flopped.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Alright, beat Chapter 3 and managed to not die at all. The area itself wasn't that large but it was utilized well, especially some of the traps placed around. At point point I lured an enemy through a door as I waited on the other side of a wall to skewer them, then aggroed another enemy and ran back to the same spot and was surprised when I heard the window shatter as he took a different path, instead of funneling everyone into the trap.

There was a pretty clear pathway to generally follow that I seemed to go right towards, as it led me
right behind the guy with the gun so I never had to deal with him
. I also don't think this feels AT ALL like RE4, atleast so far. There's not enough ammo to really go out and kill everything, and even the combat loop is changed a lot with the way their head blows off into chunks. The struggle sprint makes it so running away is hard, and the melee is garbage(which is fine, I just find some of the earlier impressions really weird after seeing how this opens). In this area atleast I was able to get a few hatchets which are pretty clear instant kill gore explosions. The chainsaw dude is...eh. Again, sprint is not really viable to get away that much so instead you get into this weird run around in a circle thing and he isn't really threatening. Also had a jank ass moment earlier in the chapter where enemies first showed up, I went into one of the side rooms and got hit through the wall. Framerate is also blarharhag.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoying the staging and lighting so far. In the very very very beginning but things have turned violent already. There is a lot of great craft on display.

Really enjoying the staging and lighting so far. In the very very very beginning but things have turned violent already. There is a lot of great craft on display.

The art direction is phenomenal. Unfortunately the music has been serviceable but forgettable for me so far. But perhaps I'm just too busy focusing on the game to pay it much mind.

Seik

Banned
I played until I reached chapter 4, then for some odd reason, I booted RE4 on Steam to play a bit.

As if my brain wanted to confirm which was better, because both are quite similar in many aspects. RE4 still holds up so well and felt better to me for being more 'to the point' because the first chapters in TEW felt too stealthy to me at first.. :)

I love the first RE vibe when you meet the first guy though, it slapped a smile on my face.

It really is limited in ammo, and it has more stealth than I imagined, but that's just the beginning so I guess that, as you progress, you get more weapons/ammo and you can go for a more 'all-in' style, right?

EDIT: Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention, I take those black bars and nuke them in space, shit is annoying and takes a LOT of space, especially when you try to see something specific with the camera.

Is there any news or anything on a patch for removing the black bars? Black bars good for performance? Or did they put those just for the looks?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The art direction is phenomenal. Unfortunately the music has been serviceable but forgettable for me so far. But perhaps I'm just too busy focusing on the game to pay it much mind.
Ha! I don't even think I've heard a single piece of music so far. Not sure what to think of the full game. I never completed RE4.. I got kinda turned off once it got to the crazy castle/island section. But that was so long ago.. I barely remember. Something about the Halloween atmosphere just really got to me and made this game a necessity for me. So far I'm feeling very refreshed.

I read the first two documents and realized that they were making me really happy. I like the aspect ratio too! Its a fun novelty. I bet the PC version with a dedicated 21: display is to die for.

jg4xchamp

Anyone figure out a way to get rid of the letterboxing without fucking with the feel of the game?

I heard the initial fix for the resolution doesn't get the job done enough.

I played until I reached chapter 4, then for some odd reason, I booted RE4 on Steam to play a bit.

As if my brain wanted to confirm which was better, because both are quite similar in many aspects. RE4 still holds up so well and felt better to me for being more 'to the point' because the first chapters in TEW felt too stealthy to me at first.. :)

I love the first RE vibe when you meet the first guy though, it slapped a smile on my face.

It really is limited in ammo, and it has more stealth than I imagined, but that's just the beginning so I guess that, as you progress, you get more weapons/ammo and you can go for a more 'all-in' style, right?

EDIT: Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention, I take those black bars and nuke them in space, shit is annoying and takes a LOT of space, especially when you try to see something specific with the camera.

Not really. Unless of course you upgrade and or playing on Casual. I am playing on Survival and I am still struggling with ammo, however another guy is also playing on Survival and says he always has more ammo than he needs so it depends I guess.

DirtyLarry

I fucking LOVE this game. Love it.

To me it is the true spiritual successor to RE4, just a much more tactical experience.
Really is very reminiscent of The Last Of Us, which is a very good thing in my book.

I really would describe it as TLoU meets Resident Evil 4.
Considering both of those games are in my Top 10 games EVER made. Holy poop, I am truly loving it.

Mix in that wacky bonkers off the wall makes no sense whatsoever Japanese horror sensibility, and it is a cult classic waiting to happen.

I know for absolute certainty many people are going to hate the game. No doubt at all about this fact.
I however love the hell out of it, and I am only a little bit into Chapter 3. It would take a true disaster for it to break apart and make me not like it.
So damn good.

I didn't do it today, and I probably won't do it tomorrow, but I vow that one day...one day, I will defeat the first Sadist in the game.

assuming it's possible

Things i'm not liking:

Framerate (PS4)
Letterboxing
Camera (too close)

Game feels a few patches away from greatness.

I fucking LOVE this game. Love it.

To me it is the true spiritual successor to RE4, just a much more tactical experience.
Really is very reminiscent of The Last Of Us, which is a very good thing in my book.

I really would describe it as TLoU meets Resident Evil 4.
Considering both of those games are in my Top 10 games EVER made. Holy poop, I am truly loving it.

Mix in that wacky bonkers off the wall makes no sense whatsoever Japanese horror sensibility, and it is a cult classic waiting to happen.

I know for absolute certainty many people are going to hate the game. No doubt at all about this fact.
I however love the hell out of it, and I am only a little bit into Chapter 3. It would take a true disaster for it to break apart and make me not like it.
So damn good.

I feel you but if you played the Silent Hill games you would say it is RE4 mixed in with SH, I agree though, I am enjoying this far more than RE4 just because it's leaning more towards the horror side as well as being consistent about it. No minigun general wearing enemies up in this bitch. Fell in love from the moment I saw all the mindfuckery mess of the first chapter.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Glad I'm not the only one picking up some insane silent hill vibes goin' on here.

Grief.exe

Is there any news or anything on a patch for removing the black bars? Black bars good for performance? Or did they put those just for the looks?

Done for performance reasons on console.

It's pretty well hardcoded into the game, a simple patch won't remove the bars as it isn't that simple. You almost can on PC, but we need an FOV command to go along with removing the bars.

Can anyone comment on match use? I'm still pretty early. Should I be burning every single body I come across?

edit: Even the ones that appear burned or dead?

I didn't do it today, and I probably won't do it tomorrow, but I vow that one day...one day, I will defeat the first Sadist in the game.

assuming it's possible

Things i'm not liking:

Framerate (PS4)
Letterboxing
Camera (too close)

Game feels a few patches away from greatness.

Thing is the combo of this makes everything so much worse, if it was one or the other it would be way more acceptable.

Can anyone comment on match use? I'm still pretty early. Should I be burning every single body I come across?

edit: Even the ones that appear burned or dead?

If the enemy fell down and his head still hasn't been blasted off then burn the body because it's going to get up and try to attack you so don't waste ammo and just burn the sucker. It also helps if you are being attacked by many then as soon as one drops burning would be a good option since A) you'd be done with one quickly and B) if any others are near the body you are about to burn, they will burn as well.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
id tech 5, brehs

bI2CccZ.jpg

I honestly don't mind the black bars, though the camera can feel a little close. I'm actually impressed with how the game looks on screen all things considered. Seriously hope they patch the framerate though.

Will say that Chapter 9 is the first time I've actually been scared to progress at points. It's been tense throughout but the location in this chapter feels huge and having something
unkillable
roam about at random is terrifying.

Top Bottom