• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Take a step back and take 3 deep breaths of fresh air. It is ok, it is just a game.

I know, I realized I was taking my anxiety out on my fellow gaffes the second I posted. I let my frustration get the best of me. I just want this game NOW but now have to wait for this fps BS to sort itself out. It's my own fault for being a Frame whore.

Xpliskin

The only thing I wanted was a game that brought back the atmosphere of REMAKE.
This is REMAKE in real-time.

It's been a while I've enjoyed a game this much.

0b9.gif

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Up to Chapter 5 now using the 60FPS lock and no problems with anything! The game runs just fine so I just need to stop dying so much from not thinking through my plans of attack.

DukeBobby

Are you shooting everything?

Also, what is the use of burning bodies?

No, not everything, but I am shooting quite a lot. I've also been using a lot of traps, and grouping enemies together and then using a grenade/explosive bolt.

You burn bodies to stop enemies from getting up again. If you don't blow their head off or stealth kill them, burn them to make sure.

MattyG

Banned
Alright, I'm done. Chapter 10
final boss is making me hate this game. I get it down to that purple eye and can't hit it so it instakills me. Fuck this.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
No, not everything, but I am shooting quite a lot. I've also been using a lot of traps, and grouping enemies together and then using a grenade/explosive bolt.

You burn bodies to stop enemies from getting up again. If you don't blow their head off or stealth kill them, burn them to make sure.

Ah so stealth kill will always be permanent?

Hawk269

I know, I realized I was taking my anxiety out on my fellow gaffes the second I posted. I let my frustration get the best of me. I just want this game NOW but now have to wait for this fps BS to sort itself out. It's my own fault for being a Frame whore.

It cool...it's all cooool. I know some folks are very passionate around here as well, so I know that wanting a game so bad, but hearing of framerate problems on the platform you want to buy it on.

I just hope there is a patch for those that are getting it or have it on PS4. From what I thought I read, I thought both versions were running at 1080p? Perhaps they dropped the Xbox One to 900p which allows it run smoother or something. I bought the Xbox One version, but hearing my PC brothers and sisters say that they are running downsampled from 4k at rock 30fps, I might just return it and get the PC version since I have a beefy rig and a 4k display.

Stratostar

Just picked up the game after a long day at work. I'll be lucky if I get to play for 30 minutes before I have to go to bed.

Man, fuck Tuesday releases.

Yes. Is that the most effective? What's your strategy with it?

Well,
The flash type arrow is the best method of shooting on the ground so that it'll blind them for a few seconds as well as revel where they are for you to shoot or melee.
I tend to shoot them but if I was out of ammo then I'd melee, 2 hits, back off from his attack which comes immediately after the 2 hits and then go back for 2 more, rinse and repeat.

I think people are not punching crates which give out ammo and green gel, always. Even then though, I still find myself running out of ammo. Use of burning bodies is killing enemies faster than intended for example shooting one in the leg then burning it is better than shooting it in the head till his head pops off for a guaranteed kill thus loosing more ammo. Because other then that, the fucker will get up.

Sanctuary

Oh I didn't know this... I feel dumb wasting some matches then.

Another tip is if you drop an enemy and an item pops out, they are dead.

What KFC head above said, but you also use them to ignite other enemies that are walking next to the enemy you just shot to the floor and are about to burn. You can also knock down multiple enemies at once with the shotgun and then use one match to burn them all.

Not really sure about "efficient", but this is what I do and it's "effective"
just watch for environmental cues from their movement and then look for the Predator like blur and fire. The shotgun will knock them on to the floor and if you're close enough you can burn them before they vanish again. Otherwise, just use pistol shots to hit their chest and pull them out of stealth mode. Exploding bolts work too, but seems like a waste on them.

Oh hell yes!
I'm definitely going to try the shotgun + burning method. Thank you! You're the best!

Well,
The flash type arrow is the best method of shooting on the ground so that it'll blind them for a few seconds as well as revel where they are for you to shoot or melee.
I tend to shoot them but if I was out of ammo then I'd melee, 2 hits, back off from his attack which comes immediately after the 2 hits and then go back for 2 more, rinse and repeat.

This is great advice! I need to rethink how I'm doing melee as well, I think. I'm messy and I could be more strategic with it. Thank you :)

Something that kind of pissed me off-

I HATE DLC that makes the game easier. I had no option to not install this "free shotgun preorder lol" thing. So inferuriating.

When are you actually supposed to find the shotgun?

Yeah, I hated that shit as well. I should have given more attention to what the dlc was and opted not to select and predownload it. Guess it's a lesson learned. I'm glad we don't have to download it, but it would have been nice to have a disabling option in game.

Yibby

Alright, I'm done. Chapter 10
final boss is making me hate this game. I get it down to that purple eye and can't hit it so it instakills me. Fuck this.

Use the biggest area of that Level. Go to a wall on one side of the room. Let it run to you and shoot once, then sprint to the other side of the room. Let it come again and just shoot it once on the way to you. Don't try to get two shots on it. That should be a safe strategy. It worked for me.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Well, as long as we're talking about feelings, I'm completely apathetic towards the black bars. I didn't care when I booted up the game, and I didn't care 2 hours in.
I don't mind them. At all. I don't care about their lack of benefit, and I really don't have any problem seeing these important things.

I understand that people aren't going to like the black bars, and/or can't play with the FOV at it's current setting, because they get headaches. I don't think the FOV is set to such a degree that it makes it impossible to play, or even more difficult.

The thing is if the bars weren't there, no one would need to have an opinion or have to get used to them.

It cool...it's all cooool. I know some folks are very passionate around here as well, so I know that wanting a game so bad, but hearing of framerate problems on the platform you want to buy it on.

I just hope there is a patch for those that are getting it or have it on PS4. From what I thought I read, I thought both versions were running at 1080p? Perhaps they dropped the Xbox One to 900p which allows it run smoother or something. I bought the Xbox One version, but hearing my PC brothers and sisters say that they are running downsampled from 4k at rock 30fps, I might just return it and get the PC version since I have a beefy rig and a 4k display.

Thanks. Unfortunately I just have a Mac so I have to choose between PS4 and ONE. I'm VERY curious now as to what DF is going to say about this whole situation with patches and whatnot now in the mix.

MattyG

Banned
Use the biggest area of that Level. Go to a wall on one side of the room. Let it run to you and shoot once, then sprint to the other side of the room. Let it come again and just shoot it once on the way to you. Don't try to get two shots on it. That should be a safe strategy. It worked for me.
Is there a way to get it to slow down so I can
hit the purple eye? It chomps the teeth around it and only gives me like a 1 second window to hit it WHILE IT'S BOBBING BACK AND FORTH.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong still, because this is bullshit.

ak1276

Banned
The thing is if the bars weren't there, no one would need to have an opinion or have to get used to them.

So then we get in to two different topics; development on an artistic level, and on a performance level.

If someone disagrees with the artistic direction, that's fine; I'm glad those people can change that on the PC. Personally, I am neutral on it, meaning I completely forgot the black bars were there, and didn't even really register them to begin with.
With that being said, I always like it when a developer sticks to an artistic vision, even when other people aren't agreeing with it.

On a performance level, with how... not good idtech is anyways, I would like to know if the black bars are actually serving a purpose on consoles.

Yibby

Is there a way to get it to slow down so I can
hit the purple eye? It chomps the teeth around it and only gives me like a 1 second window to hit it WHILE IT'S BOBBING BACK AND FORTH.

I didn't aim for the eye. I just used the shotgun. Maybe not that effective but easier to aim. Maybe you can try to get him "purple" without using those small resupply rooms. When he reveals his eye you can use the rooms and when he tries to grab you it's maybe easier to aim ?

Up to Ch. 9 so far - really loving it visually. Story wise it seems really predictable and it is not even close to survival horror to me really. Definitely an action-horror game. But really, I can't complain, lots of cool moments.

The black bars are bothersome but after a while you kind of get used to them. It was a bad decision to make them mandatory, and I hope they patch it so I can adjust the FOV when I change the aspect ratio.

Only on chapter 3 and considering throwing in the towel. The awful framerate and constantly having to bob the camera up and down just to see things is beyond frustrating. So much jank it's depressing

MattyG

Banned
I didn't aim for the eye. I just used the shotgun. Maybe not that effective but easier to aim. Maybe you can try to get him "purple" without using those small resupply rooms. When he reveals his eye you can use the rooms and when he tries to grab you it's maybe easier to aim ?
Oh, I thought you had to
hit the eye when he went purple. Didn't realize you could take him down by just shooting anywhere.

Bastos

Since Saraiva cancelled my pre-order, just re-pre-ordered it from Livrarias Cultura.
But I don't know when I'll receive it, because they say they'll dispatch the game tomorrow, but th "estimated delivery date" said the 28th...
What the hell, really? I just went to a Livraria Cultura today and bought mine.

You said that there was one near to where you study, didn't they have an available copy there today?

Only on chapter 3 and considering throwing in the towel. The awful framerate and constantly having to bob the camera up and down just to see things is beyond frustrating. So much jank it's depressing

wait til you get to chapter four. Just standing still and spinning the camera in the first house is jittery as fuck

Okay, Chapter 4 is where the game finally feels like it's sort of finding itself (still can't find the framerate though, ba dum tsh). The traps, the pacing, the weirdness; all of it worked for me. More of that, less jank pls

Damn, chapter 9 is rough. Keep just going about my bushiness only for
Revik to come out of nowhere and blow up my head
Don't remember that being shown in the previews I saw.

Memories. :( Please don't expect anything of that calibur from TEW. The best that we are going to get is REmake and that's it. But, for what TEW is doing, it's pretty good. It's been a while since we had an AAA survival horror action game that is lengthy, varied with so many shit and that actually leans more towards the horror/psychological horror aspect and not just action like RE4.

Sanctuary

Oh hell yes!
I'm definitely going to try the shotgun + burning method. Thank you! You're the best!

This is great advice! I need to rethink how I'm doing melee as well, I think. I'm messy and I could be more strategic with it. Thank you :)

Uh, not sure about that enemy type specifically, since I never used the
flash bolt on them, but that bolt lets you get a stealth attack from any direction while they are blinded.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Yeah, I hated that shit as well. I should have given more attention to what the dlc was and opted not to select and predownload it. Guess it's a lesson learned. I'm glad we don't have to download it, but it would have been nice to have a disabling option in game.

On the PS4, you have no option. It auto downloads and installs itself if you preordered... You can't opt out.

Uh, not sure about that enemy type specifically, since I never used the
flash bolt on them, but that bolt lets you get a stealth attack from any direction while they are blinded.

I always did, it helped alot. Basically just shoot on the ground and it'll stun them as well as being able to
see them
in the process.

Reebot

Okay, Chapter 4 is where the game finally feels like it's sort of finding itself (still can't find the framrate though, ba dum tish). The traps, the pacing, the weirdness; all of it worked for me. More of that, less jank pls

Yeah seems that way. One and two are terrible, three is at least a game and four is showing improvement.

But just why, for so much of the game. Why the camera especially - and its bizarrely fixed if you try to aim in
the hub/save area.

Top Bottom