• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Mupod

"oh, this is obviously going to be another large scale horde fight"
"I'll leave this trap intact so it blows some of them up"

5 seconds into the fight, walk face first into the tripwire and die.

Great name
great taste in music
great taste in games
Enjoy the experience I'm on chapter 10 and still digging it quite a lot.

Hahah thank you! Their old keyboardist passed away today. Dude wasn't even 40.

But yeah, I just finished 9 which might've been my favorite chapter, and I'm taking a break to savor the game haha.

If the enemy fell down and his head still hasn't been blasted off then burn the body because it's going to get up and try to attack you so don't waste ammo and just burn the sucker. It also helps if you are being attacked by many then as soon as one drops burning would be a good option since A) you'd be done with one quickly and B) if any others are near the body you are about to burn, they will burn as well.

Thanks for the answer. I assume bodies that I come across that are not moving and appear dead will be scripted to attack me?

jackdoe

The movement controls are janky enough that I avoid wire traps entirely. Trying to get close to one without the janky movement causing you to accidentally set off the bomb and having to restart at the checkpoint twenty minutes earlier isn't worth it.

Mupod

Can anyone comment on match use? I'm still pretty early. Should I be burning every single body I come across?

edit: Even the ones that appear burned or dead?

I definitely haven't been short on matches but I haven't been burning everything. I find matches are super useful for two specific things so far:

1. Downing enemies and burning, which ends up functioning similarly to RE4 melee. Kills the enemy and also instant kills anybody nearby.
2. Environmental stuff like hay bales and oil slicks. The radius is pretty huge.

I honestly haven't had to burn a *dead* enemy yet but I'm prepared for that. I put gel into pistol crit and it's pretty effective.

The movement controls are janky enough that I avoid wire traps entirely. Trying to get close to one without the janky movement causing you to accidentally set off the bomb and having to restart at the checkpoint twenty minutes earlier isn't worth it.

Huh? The proximity ones I've seen give you a lot of leeway before they blow up. And the tripwires you can crouch up to.

Thanks for the answer. I assume bodies that I come across that are not moving and appear dead will be scripted to attack me?

Your welcome. It depends. Not all of them will, some are great to use to bait enemies into. Stand next to one till one or more enemies come near the body then set the presumably dead body on fire.

Dragon

Banned
Is there any news or anything on a patch for removing the black bars? Black bars good for performance? Or did they put those just for the looks?

The only option currently is buying the PC version from what I can tell in that performance thread and then forcing an aspect ratio. The PS4 version seems to have some framerate issues as it is, I don't want to see what it'd be like with 1080p.

I honestly don't mind the black bars, though the camera can feel a little close. I'm actually impressed with how the game looks on screen all things considered. Seriously hope they patch the framerate though.

I almost never take screen shots but I've felt tempted a few times. Game is most definitely an example of art design trumping tech.

Side note, the shadows are ridiculously fucking good.

I must have died 30X on chapter 3. Everytime I die I go through the same motions of collecting loot throughout the level than BAM. Dead. Rinse and repeat. Need to take a break an come back to this tomorrow. I'm all for hard games but this is kicking the shit out of me and have like 2 bullets to defend myself

Hahah thank you! Their old keyboardist passed away today. Dude wasn't even 40.

But yeah, I just finished 9 which might've been my favorite chapter, and I'm taking a break to savor the game haha.
Didn't know that, may he rest in piece, I feel every part of that album was their best work sad to hear he's passed..yeah this game is intense I have to beat it tonight though, too many mysteries not too!

Skyzard

Banned
I must have died 30X on chapter 3. Everytime I die I go through the same motions of collecting loot throughout the level than BAM. Dead. Rinse and repeat. Need to take a break an come back to this tomorrow. I'm all for hard games but this is kicking the shit out of me and have like 2 bullets to defend myself

I did that a few times and just went back to save first before trying to finish it off.

I'm not sure if you lose stuff though.

Coda

I like good challenges like God Hand, or The Last of Us on higher difficulty settings than normal. I don't like bullshit challenging games like Dead Space 2 on Hard or any Suda51 game on hard.

This game is cheap, it's not like dying in a precise action game. It rather will close you in with traps and tight spaces and piss you off.

This game is cheap, it's not like dying in a precise action game. It rather will close you in with traps and tight spaces and piss you off.

Not really. Depending on how you use the save points if one is near, how you play careful and learn the layout of where you are either by going through it slowly or trial and error. Choosing what to upgrade first makes a BIG difference in how the game is played in the later chapters. Stuff like Sebastian's health bar, stamina, critical hits, accuracy.etc

Grisby

Made it to chapter 5. Some of the
one hit kill
stuff at then end of Ch4 was disappointing. It some ways, the game feels a little sloppy, with the framerate being the way it is and the camera not being too great in tight corridors.

But it's still fun. Managing my ammo and luring dudes into traps is great and the spooky environments are fun to dig around in. Hoping for Joesph to come back into the story soon cause he looked ballin'.

The story never gets better does it.

It's still one big cluster of mindfuck, I'm on chapter 10 and I still don't exactly know what the hell is going on. However, I think going by the newspapers, missing person's papers, notes.etc I am beginning to piece everything together slowly but not surely. That as well as some details in the level design itself. Hopefully the ending shows what the fuck is up, to be honest though Mikami's games never had amazing stories but this one is very intriguing. Reminds me alot of Silent Hill games which is a great thing.

Xpliskin

"oh, this is obviously going to be another large scale horde fight"
"I'll leave this trap intact so it blows some of them up"

5 seconds into the fight, walk face first into the tripwire and die.

lol this happened to me way too many times.

By the way, the art in this game is unmatched.

Jawmuncher

It's still one big cluster of mindfuck, I'm on chapter 10 and I still don't exactly know what the hell is going on. However, I think going by the newspapers, missing person's papers, notes.etc I am beginning to piece everything together slowly but not surely. That as well as some details in the level design itself. Hopefully the ending shows what the fuck is up, to be honest though Mikami's games never had amazing stories but this one is very intriguing. Reminds me alot of Silent Hill games which is a great thing.

I'm definitely liking the Silent Hill moments.
Really what's bothering me is how the characters are going through this stuff but it doesn't seem that odd to them. Which is really throwing me off.

Anbec7

I´m pretty sure they can fix the issues on this game, I watched a friend of mine play it and we loved it.

Just.. I saw him burning the bodies.. why? you have too?
Also any tips? LOL I plan on buying this later on and hopefully the small issues are fixed

Really what's bothering me is how the characters are going through this stuff but it doesn't seem that odd to them. Which is really throwing me off.

Yup in my first impressions of the game that I wrote here in the OT, I specified this complaint but later as I played more, I said to myself maybe it's because
we don't know what exactly is the truth or what is even real anymore. It just had this whole "something is fishy" vibe and it still does.

I don't think that's a problem so much as that the characters don't have anything memorable or interesting about them. And because you're constantly moving forward from one environment to the next, it doesn't have the advantage of RE1 or Dino Crisis where you spend a lot of time slowly unlocking areas in one big place, and finding out more about what happened there through files. It's more like RE4 where you're constantly moving forward, but without the campy humor that makes that game's story entertaining.

The same thing happened to me. I'm taking a break.. But I'm loving the game so far. I don't mind a challenge that's justified.

I don't think that's a problem so much as that the characters don't have anything memorable or interesting about them. And because you're constantly moving forward from one environment to the next, it doesn't have the advantage of RE1 or Dino Crisis where you spend a lot of time slowly unlocking areas in one big place, and finding out more about what happened there through files. It's more like RE4 where you're constantly moving forward, but without the campy humor that makes that game's story entertaining.
RE4 story was fun for the camp, for me TEW is fun for the mind fuckery.

Lucent

I've not heard one line of quotable dialogue so far.

Shame.

I've only done the first three chapters, but yeah the characters so far are pretty...I dunno they just seem there to be there? They don't say much. The cop that drove them at the beginning talked more than all of them combined. lol.

Ricker

Just played the first 2 chapters and it's ok I guess so far...the cut scene in chapter 1 was good but man the graphics,considering it's on the PS4 are awful...ugly textures,it looks like a PS3 game with mud all over it...I am thinking that big update for the X1 that the PS4 didnt get is for high res textures or something..? man...and one last time,even more so since I am playing it now,I absolutly hate the black bars,especially the way the camera zooms in when you are crouched...I get the feeling I am missing stuff on top and continually trying to adjust the camera to see but theres nothing there lol...

Second chapter picked up a bit so I still have hope for the rest.

Andrew.

Banned
"The black bars"

That's how retarded we've gotten.

Just say you don't dig the widescreen. Which re4 also had.

Sure as shit didn't bother anybody 10 years ago.

antitrop

What's the difference between the Shotgun and the Hunting Shotgun from Fighting Chance DLC?

This game is hard as fuck, yo. Survival is way harder than TLoU on Hard w/ LM off.

mattp

LMAO.

I could only imagine what your reaction was like when you saw that
chainsaw
swinging by out of no where.

oh cool, a new weapon! lemme dink around in this menu and see what this stuff all means..." *slowmo chainsaw swings through the screen* "what the fuck was that? OH FUCK ITS NOT PAUSED

Ricker

"The black bars"

Thats the problem,I love widescreen,my HDTV is widescreen 16:9...I dont mind watching a movie in 2:35 causing black bars on top and bottom but it bothers me for a game,what can I say....and they werent as bad in RE4.

Grief.exe

"The black bars"

I don't see any black bars. Just 60 FPS, 16:9, the way Mikami intended.

ibo0WYxi3KCOKj.png

Top Bottom