• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm only on chapter 2 but I want to be clear on this so I don't waste items. There's no point in burning bodies that are environmental and already dead or enemies that have been decapitated or stealth killed, right?

It's soooooo good. You're in for a treat.

And I guess it is a different type of horror, so the comparison probably doesn't really hold up too well.

Yup, it is. Which is why I am excited for it. Gotta support dat AAA lengthy horror games we don't if ever get those types of games anymore especially ones that are challenging like Alien and TEW are.

I'm only on chapter 2 but I want to be clear on this so I don't waste items. There's no point in burning bodies that are environmental and already dead or enemies that have been decapitated or stealth killed, right?

No, unless you can lure another enemy near to one. Then totally light up that corpse to burn the living one with it.

His delivery was just so plain when he said it, lol. Dude just doesn't give a fuck about the stuff happening here.

That's another thing, how dull and monotone the characters have been throughout all five chapters. They don't seem to care about any of the wacky shit that's happening, so why should we?

"Oh, guess I'm in a hallway now. River of blood, hey, I remember The Shining. Zombie things, lets get em"

One line I laughed at when he rescued whats-his-face from the bathtub, "Lets get out here, something's weird going on in this place", just totally deadpan, the understatement of the fuckin century. Inexplicable zombie creatures and sounds that cause migraines and ghost nurses and thats his reaction.

Lucent

Welp..I just used my locker key amd was rewarded with a ..locker key. I'm going to take a short break snacks and all.

lol awesome. So far I've been given a jar of 5,000 gel, a box with 12 shotgun shells, 3 explosive bolts, and a syringe I think. It's nice that they let you take what bullets you need and leave the rest in the locker for you later. Kinda makes the game a little easier in a way, but that's only if you're finding the keys. I'm only on chapter 4 so I dunno how bad my ammo supply will be yet.

EDIT: Also kinda lame that the double barrel shotgun isn't upgradeable. I dunno how strong it s compared to the pump shotgun or if you find it later in the game and it becomes upgradeable.

Daximuss

Correct on the decapitated or stealth killed, incorrect on the enviromental enemies. You never know what lurks behind a hanging body.

The point is to bait monsters and burn a body that is environmental or if it's an oil leak.etc when said monsters are there, as for your second part, you're right. As long as the head popped off, you're good to go.

That's another thing, how dull and monotone the characters have been throughout all five chapters. They don't seem to care about any of the wacky shit that's happening, so why should we?

"Oh, guess I'm in a hallway now. River of blood, hey, I remember The Shining. Zombie things, lets get em"

One line I laughed at when he rescued whats-his-face from the bathtub, "Lets get out here, something's weird going on in this place", just totally deadpan, the understatement of the fuckin century. Inexplicable zombie creatures and sounds that cause migraines and ghost nurses and thats his reaction.

Yup. That's actually one of my complaints in my first impressions but I get the feeling that there is a bigger picture, something fishy kind of thing here. We'll see when we get to the ending because so far I still don't know what the fuck is going on and the game has 5 chapters left.

Never thought I would have to use the ignore user feature on GAF but this thread finally did it. Aside from that, I received The Evil Within artbook today in the mail and it's absolutely wonderful and even gives some insight into the meaning behind the enemies. :D

MattyG

Banned
Does anyone else feel that there were a lot more situations that accomodated stealth in the beginning missions? Around chapter 9 I realized that I really hadn't been using stealth takedowns a ton, and it wasn't because I was running and gunning. It just felt like encounters favored stealth more in the early game. Maybe it's just me.
Yup, it is. Which is why I am excited for it. Gotta support dat AAA lengthy horror games we don't if ever get those types of games anymore especially ones that are challenging like Alien and TEW are.
I'd be interested to see sales figures for both of these. It's very hard to guess how these are going to sell. I agree though, I hope they do well, because I'd love the devs to get a change to do sequels.
Never thought I would have to use the ignore user feature on GAF but this thread finally did it. Aside from that, I received The Evil Within artbook today in the mail and it's absolutely wonderful and even gives some insight into the meaning behind the enemies. :D
Nooooo Slasher, you don't have to block me, I didn't mean all that about chapter 10, COME BAAAAACK.

ak1276

Banned

Used it twice already.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

Yea, it's not like other books where each page is pictures and there's nothing to read. The Sky Art of Final Fantasy did that.

Does anyone else feel that there were a lot more situations that accomodated stealth in the beginning missions? Around chapter 9 I realized that I really hadn't been using stealth takedowns a ton, and it wasn't because I was running and gunning. It just felt like encounters favored stealth more in the early game. Maybe it's just me.

Stealth is still a viable option in many areas, but they do include more forced combat sequences as the game goes on. I also stopped bothering with stealth much at some point because I just find the combat more enjoyable than I do the sneaking.

Yup. I noticed that too. You could if you wanted though, had a few instances in CH10 where I could have been patient and sealth'd but I instead used my
crossbow and rifle
from a far that is until I am out of ammo, again lol.

I will agree with people that the characters are a bit flat, i would say Leon was too at times but he wasnt going through rivers of blood and mind fuckery

AlexIIDX

Just finished chapter 2 and i'll continue tomorrow night...Midway through the second chapter the game got its hooks in me. The bars took some getting used to even though ive played games with them before, never this big. The atmosphere is awesome and I just keep taking screenshots. I honestly thought
the whole game took place in the hospital so this is pretty cool so far.

chapter 1: didnt really like it at all. baffling that they would start the game this way because i did the Gob "i've made a terrible mistake"

chapter 2: ok, heating up a little bit. the jank seems to have mostly vanished (or i got used to it?), framerate a bit more stable, feeling a bit better. nice throwback to
RE 1
as well!

chapter 3: sweet, now we're cooking! really liked this chapter. some very tense moments. i panicked a few times but ended up surviving the ordeal. top notch!

i found myself getting frustrated early in the game basically because i wasn't having my hand held and giving me a free pass. this is stuff i always complain about "Why don't developers take more of a hands off approach!" and then i find myself internally bitching when they do. so i had to remind myself of that and then figured it out.

i have died quite a few times but you learn what you can and can't do in this game pretty quickly. hope the rest of the game holds up and the momentum keeps up from chapter 3

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Correct on the decapitated or stealth killed, incorrect on the enviromental enemies. You never know what lurks behind a hanging body.

The point is to bait monsters and burn a body that is environmental or if it's an oil leak.etc when said monsters are there, as for your second part, you're right. As long as the head popped off, you're good to go.
Good to know. Will keep this in mind.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I'm pretty sure some of the bodies randomly around will actually get up. If you light them on fire and they yell out and squirm they would have gotten up, if they just stay the same and burn then it wasn't needed. I don't think there's a way to distinguish it though.

But yeah, if they're decapitated or you stealth kill them it's not needed.

Lucent

In chapter

I found a big attache case.
I was like "ooooh new weapon already?!"

Nope. 1 shotgun shell. Thanks.

i found myself getting frustrated early in the game basically because i wasn't having my hand held and giving me a free pass. this is stuff i always complain about "Why don't developers take more of a hands off approach!" and then i find myself internally bitching when they do. so i had to remind myself of that and then figured it out.
I can really relate to this. I even found myself almost wanting a see through wall mechanic cos I got so used to it in other games and thought "what's wrong with me I hate that shit" lol

MattyG

Banned
I find Sebastian's reactions (or lack thereof) to weird things kind of strange. You just
were hurled from one location to another, down a hallway and saw gravity shift, and you're just going to greet the doctor like nothing happened?
He rarely seems to react properly, very sedate for what he's going through.

And that doctor makes me think of Kreiger every time I see him.
Krieger_Kleanse.JPG
Matty... you would have to do more then that to get me to block you. :p I'm fine with people having opinions, but I can only take so much of trolls, etc. :p
Sounds like a challenge.

Reebot

There's prerelease footage where aiming isn't this silly faux first person right?

Using the crossbow literally looks like a glitch.

I can really relate to this. I even found myself almost wanting a see through wall mechanic cos I got so used to it in other games and thought "what's wrong with me I hate that shit" lol

yep! especially coming from that shadow of mordor/batman style "i can see everything". i feel like i had forgotten to figure things out and think creatively because of it. not always but in this game i was having to really try to figure things out.

i was also using the sony gold headset or whatever its called. really great! the audio clues and especially the shadows were helpful in the first part to me since i couldn't see the guy at all times. after chapter 3 i feel that i have adapted

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

It kinda hit me real early on in the ending cutscene of chapter 1 when all that shit is breaking and the world is basically ending, and he just runs out like

"hey

where's joseph?"

There's prerelease footage where aiming isn't this silly faux first person right?

Yeah, they seemed to mess with the distance a lot. If you actually aim in the save hub area place it's pulled out more, though you're stuck in that other view otherwise.

Varna

Enjoying the game... but this definitely feels like RE4. Seems like you could potentially level up your meele damage and be playing almost exactly like it too. Though I'm sure there was a lot of intentional similarities in the first few chapters.

kind of explains some of the "too hard" reviewer comments in the reviews though? lol
Thats probably what some of it is. Being too comfy with hand holding and not wanting to learn everything again to get a review out the door /speculation

yep! especially coming from that shadow of mordor/batman style "i can see everything". i feel like i had forgotten to figure things out and think creatively because of it. not always but in this game i was having to really try to figure things out.

i was also using the sony gold headset or whatever its called. really great! the audio clues and especially the shadows were helpful in the first part to me since i couldn't see the guy at all times. after chapter 3 i feel that i have adapted

Yeah I was playing a lot of Mordor and Alien and I felt naked in TWE cos I had no way of knowing where or how many enemies there were

Lucent

Whoa wtf? Game crashed on me for some reason with an error. PS4 version. First time it happened since playing. =l

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
What's the difference between the Shotgun and the Hunting Shotgun from Fighting Chance DLC?

This game is hard as fuck, yo. Survival is way harder than TLoU on Hard w/ LM off.

Double-Barreled Shotgun packs more of a punch. The standard shotgun is a single shot.
I have not went back to the DBS since I used it in Chapter 3.

I can't aim at all. I can't believe how many head shots I've missed from careless movement. I was going to upload a clip and I noticed half the time I was shooting to the far side of the enemy.

If anyone is still wondering about the fire thing.
I have made an assumption. It is the coup de grâce. Instead of wasting ammo downing everyone. Knock them on their back and hopefully you can set them on fire.

Breh, sometimes I can barely even see what I'm aiming at because the right side of the crossbow is blocking my view.

Like, what possessed them to make such a huge change to the aiming camera at the last minute? It's so much worse than the RE4 style over the shoulder camera they had in a lot of the footage :/

Whoa wtf? Game crashed on me for some reason with an error. PS4 version. First time it happened since playing. =l
What the..it just crashed in me for the first time, I set off a trap by accident after intentionally setting off the first now it's just frozen.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished chapter 2. Game is is ace. So glad I'm playing it.

I'm at the beginning of Chapter 5, stopping for the night.

Enjoying it overall, but it hasn't knocked my socks off yet or anything. My big takeaway is that it plays very much like The Last of Us, but in a darker, more menacing setting. Which, in and of itself is a good thing, because I very much enjoyed how that game played, and this one as well.

But as much as the game oozes atmosphere, I just haven't felt a whole lot of tension just yet. There really hasn't been much in the way of building suspense, at least in the early going, which is a little discouraging.

So those are my early impressions with the game. It's good, I like it...but I don't love it quite yet.

Wife got it for me today (had no intention in buying it on release day, way too many unfinished games as it is), she install it for me and when I got home The Evil Within title screen was on my Tv.

Took a shower, grabbed something to eat, played 3 chapters and I love it. I'm so happy she actually got it today. Isolation might have to wait till I'm done with this :)

Lernaean

Banned
Played as long as time allowed me yesterday and finished chapter 3.
Game's great for me, feels like a horror film, doesn't take itself too seriously, and the atmosphere is amazing.
One thing that kinda underwhelmed me was
the sadist
fight. I thought it was too easy (playing on survival or whatever the difficulty with 2 skulls is called).
I love it so far, and even though it has its technical issues, which i blame on the engine, i think Mikami delivered.
Can't wait to get back from work to continue.

Top Bottom