• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Finished the first chapter before going to bed. I regret that. The
cat and mouse game with chainsaw guy was fucking terrifying.
Cannot wait until the weekend so I can sink some real time into this.

Andrew.

Banned
Oh, come on. They're a bit ridiculous in this game, don't you think?

I'm playing on a 55 inch tv

I'm not bragging but yeah, it isn't a hindrance to my experience. Game is fucking awesome so far, tech hiccups and all.

I've always appreciated the widescreen approach anyway. It's been done. Shocking to see its a shock to people here.

The original release was indeed that way on gamecube. No one cares then, but people say that like folks didn't have standards back then lol.

ME0000599292_2.jpg

PS2 version did as well.

chapter 5 done

is the game ever scary? I know that's subjective as hell, but there hasn't been much to fear in this game. Any fuck up doesn't matter with the checkpoint system.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
chapter 5 done

is the game ever scary? I know that's subjective as hell, but there hasn't been much to fear in this game. Any fuck up doesn't matter with the checkpoint system.

Is losing your mind scary to you? Sebastian is like a man who can break under heavy pressure.

chapter 5 done

No, it's not much of a horror game at all. It doesn't do jump scares nor atmospheric fear very well. All of the horror elements are little more than a motif.

Dominator

Well I suck at this game. I died about 10 times alone in Chapter 1, and so far 2 isn't giving me any slack lol. Horror isn't really my thing but I like what I'm playing. I couldn't get into Alien but this is sweet.

Grief.exe

I'm not bragging but yeah, it isn't a hindrance to my experience. Game is fucking awesome so far, tech hiccups and all.

I've always appreciated the widescreen approach anyway. It's been done. Shocking to see its a shock to people here.

It's a little bit different on PC where you are sitting so close to the monitor that the tighter FOV and narrow aspect ratio makes movement uncomfortable to perceive. Myself, and others, actually experience frequent headaches.

In this scenario, the bars not only negatively effects the gameplay experience, but actually makes the entire experience poor as a result.

Andrew.

Banned
There is so much Last of Us in this game mechanically.

Mikami was clearly inspired and that's all good in my book. My personal book of good shit.

Nuke Soda

Best glitch for me so far.
The first guy you are supposed to stealth kill, I sneak up perfectly hit the kill button and open the door he is banging on instead. He keeps on banging on the wide open door.

Well you playing on a 55 inch definitely colours your opinion though. I'm on a 32 inch tv and the black bars really make the picture look tiny.

No, it's not much of a horror game at all. It doesn't do jump scares nor atmospheric fear very well. All of the horror elements are little more than a motif.

Its about as scary as RE4. Which is to say, not at all, unless there are some Regenator mothafuckas in here somewhere or an Oven Man.

Like, its got "horror elements", like chainsaw man and long hair chick from the Ring but I mean...who is honestly frightened of them, ever.

RedAssedApe

Banned
just picked up my copy from best buy. fighting chance preorder dlc shows up when i enter the code but when i try and redeem it, it says invalid or been used.

this normal for day one dlc codes? anyone else still seeing this?

jonezer4

It's a bit different when many people were still using 4:3 CRT TV's at that time. :p

Exactly. 16:9 was on its way to becoming the home viewing standard at the time as well. 2.39:1 is not.

Perhaps not coincidentally, 16:9 is also on the outer edge of what's natural for the human eye to perceive (it's probably actually closer to 4:3). 2.39:1 is well outside that range.

It's acceptable for watching movies in a theater, where I'm immersed by a 100 foot screen and my eye is being subtly yet surely guided by a knowing director/DP toward what it should be. But in an interactive medium, on my 50 inch TV, neither of those considerations or benefits are realized. Instead, just a large chunk of my screen real estate isn't being utilized.

I don't mind watching movies at home in 2.39:1, specifically because I understand and appreciate they were shot to be shown in a movie theater first, and a home second. But games are essentially solely for home use. As such, I'm not a fan of games running in it, especially under the specious, if not outright insulting, rationale that "it's to capture a cinematic feel"... when it's almost certainly just an attempt to cut your pixel count to hit performance targets easier.

Its about as scary as RE4. Which is to say, not at all, unless there are some Regenator mothafuckas in here somewhere or an Oven Man.

Like, its got "horror elements", like chainsaw man and long hair chick from the Ring but I mean...who is honestly frightened of them, ever.

Pretty much, it's more like RE4 with tighter inventory restrictment, which is interesting because it encourages you to use all of your tools. It's a good action game, but I haven't even seen anything as scary as the Regenerators yet and I'm about 2/3 through the game.

Best glitch for me so far.
The first guy you are supposed to stealth kill, I sneak up perfectly hit the kill button and open the door he is banging on instead. He keeps on banging on the wide open door.

Is the rat carrying a statue a glitch or an easter egg? I wish I'd caught a video of it. It scared the pants off me at first.

Chapter 3 and 4 are exquisite. Fucking love this game minus the shit framerate on ps4 (hope that can be addressed somehow)

It's pretty crazy how much it seems to dip in certain places. Really curious to see if digital foundry takes a look at the game, I'm assuming they will. Also the wide screen isn't really bothering me, but it would be nice to have the choice I suppose.

Actual game play discussion, I'm having a great time. Just hit chapter five myself, definitely enjoyed three and four a lot. Entering chapter three I was really having to manage my ammo, but after some upgrades I feel like I'm in a good place. Hoping to dig into more tomorrow!

MattyG

Banned
Well, after my little breakdown over the end of chapter 10, I'm pretty excited to finish the game up tomorrow. Still hoping I get some scares in over the next 4 chapters though. I think I've only become a little nervous 3 or 4 times, but in general I feel completely at ease while I'm playing this, just like any other non-horror game. It's weird, because Alien had be tense and jumping every 5 minutes, and I've never really played a horror game like this before. Maybe Alien numbed me to the scares or something, I dunno.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
chapter 5 done

I actually jumped in chapter 4
when some random fucking ghost lady busted down a door out of nowhere at the beginning
because the game didn't do anything like that before and I was not expecting that at all.

But that part does remind me of RE4. Nothing is really getting to me at all, though I like the enemy designs.

Just finished chapter 2. Constant aiming reticule is annoying, as are the "black bars" (please don't compare Resi 4 having them to this, as there is a big difference with them on a square tv vs. a rectangular one) but the game is pretty awesome. I can see the TLOU comparisons in gameplay, though this blows it out of the water in one short chapter alone when it comes to ways you can deal with enemies. I've been having fun just experimenting with the different ways to tackle situations, trying sections over just so I can better grasp the mechanics. Art direction and sound design are great so far, and there is definitely a sense of tension and fear, but nothing that genuinely has me terrified. Definitely some jank, and the framerate is brutal at times, but I'm liking what I'm playing so far after 2.5 hrs.

The atmosphere alone is scarier than all of RE4.

It is easily up there with Resident Evil Remake in terms of atmosphere and Silent Hill 1 - 4 in terms of level design + mindfuckery.

The atmosphere alone is scarier than all of RE4.

I guess the main thing is I never feel any tension in TEW. I either kill the enemies, or they kill me because whatever, and then I just try it again and win. RE4 is often thrilling and exciting, but TEW took an opposite approach, but its kinda in-between worlds.

So a couple ladies with barbed wires and glowy eyes show up in a dark alley. Big deal, I will shoot them in the face, light them on fire with my huuuuuuuuuge splash damage match, and I will walk off with my humorous walking animation.

Well, after my little breakdown over the end of chapter 10, I'm pretty excited to finish the game up tomorrow. Still hoping I get some scares in over the next 4 chapters though. I think I've only become a little nervous 3 or 4 times, but in general I feel completely at ease while I'm playing this, just like any other non-horror game. It's weird, because Alien had be tense and jumping every 5 minutes, and I've never really played a horror game like this before. Maybe Alien numbed me to the scares or something, I dunno.

I can't wait to try that game out soon. Of course one would feel like that if you have an enemy following your sorry ass for the entire duration of the game and from what I read Alien: Isolation is a lengthy game.

Daximuss

I wanted to drop in real quick before heading to bed (5:30 comes real early) to give my first impressions.

First and foremost, my biggest worry & concern was the dreaded black bars I would have to get used to once I started the game. At first, I was uncomfortable with them but I told myself I wouldn't let the 2.35 aspect ratio ruin my experience, and you know what, after chapter 2, I didn't even notice 'em, so all is well with that.

I turned my PS4 off right after I got to chapter 6 and let me tell you...this game is classic Mikami! This game oozes remnants of Resident Evil 4 and of course, that is a good thing.

The atmosphere & sound are damn near perfect and I love how there are so many avenues the player can go down as far as upgrading goes.
I did notice some framerate drops as well as some muddy textures in a particular cut-scene, but to be honest, I was enjoying myself so much, it was really miniscule to me.

If you are "on the fence" about purchasing The Evil Within but you have played and enjoyed the previous Resident Evil titles, do yourself a favor and pick this title up. It's too damn good not to.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I can't wait to try that game out soon. Of course one would feel like that if you have an enemy following your sorry ass for the entire duration of the game and from what I read Alien: Isolation is a lengthy game.

I think it all depends on who you are. Aliens is probably more for the shock and scare while TEW takes you on a
psychological thrill ride
. I'
m about finished with Chapter 6.

I picked up Alien Isolation from the B/S/T thread. I can't compare either or at the moment, but things are building up in TEW till where I don't think I could compare it to another title, except RE4 and Mercenaries mode in RE5.

Just finished chapter four and I absolutely am loving this game so far! It's challenging and fun, and the atmosphere is incredible. The black bars were hard to get used to at first, but I don't even notice them now.

I'm interested to see where the story goes. The game doesn't feel really scary, but there's definitely some psychological stuff going on for sure, which I actually prefer.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I hope that changes sometime down the line. This got me laughing though (Chapter 2):

"HOSPITAL!? HOPITAL!?" *leaves*

"...what the fuck?"

something about that made me laugh.

His delivery was just so plain when he said it, lol. Dude just doesn't give a fuck about the stuff happening here.

I guess the main thing is I never feel any tension in TEW. I either kill the enemies, or they kill me because whatever, and then I just try it again and win. RE4 is often thrilling and exciting, but TEW took an opposite approach, but its kinda in-between worlds.

So a couple ladies with barbed wires and glowy eyes show up in a dark alley. Big deal, I will shoot them in the face, light them on fire with my huuuuuuuuuge splash damage match, and I will walk off with my humorous walking animation.

I find the first part hard to believe. To each his own though, I got 5 more chapters to go and I'll finish the game, it's been a blast and I can't wait to see what is in store for me. Already the game went through so many variety in levels, monsters and such that I can't wait to see what is left there. Hopefully, It doesn't disappoint which it didn't so far in terms of atmosphere, tension or horror/psychological horror being consistent but we'll see.

MattyG

Banned
It's soooooo good. You're in for a treat.

And I guess it is a different type of horror, so the comparison probably doesn't really hold up too well.

Top Bottom