• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Seik

Banned
Aw hell, died in a trap again. I guess that's enough for tonight. =_=

I'm so not careful, I think I get killed the moment it's well hidden a bit. :p

Definitely a good game so far though, I'm glad to play it and will continue tomorrow!

Indeed. I really felt that in my soul.

Heh, same feeling here.

Mononoke

Banned
What is the purpose of burning bodies? I always see the option to waste a match on burning dead bodies but I never get an item drop for doing it...

Did I miss somethng?

What is the purpose of burning bodies? I always see the option to waste a match on burning dead bodies but I never get an item drop for doing it...

Did I miss somethng?
If you burn them, they can't come back to life. Generally you do it as a precaution if you're exploring. If you stealth them or headshot them, they won't be coming back regardless

Also, toggle sneaking makes this game so much less awkward to play. Don't understand why it isn't the default....

Lucent

What the..it just crashed in me for the first time, I set off a trap by accident after intentionally setting off the first now it's just frozen.

Mine happened in chapter
while fighting the
first invisible guy

Dunno if t was the game or just some random thing. Never had it happen on my PS4 before besides when I try to search through movies in Hulu+.

If you burn them, they can't come back to life. Generally you do it as a precaution if you're exploring. If you stealth them or headshot them, they won't be coming back regardless

Also, toggle sneaking makes this game so much less awkward to play. Don't understand why it isn't the default....
I was using toggle sneak but found it was too cumbersome for the way I play, Stealth kills on stunned or blinded enemies wad a pain!

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
This game is fucking awesome. I've got to be close to the end of chapter 3. The art/graphics in that level is outstanding. I can't believe some people aren't feeling that this shit ain't scary/creepy but whatever haha. Chapter 3 has me on edge like a bitch. Absolutely loving this game. I'm actually okay with the black borders too it doesn't bother me a single bit now for some reason.

Varna

Love how absolutely no one in the game has questioned what the fuck is going on...

"I think something might be wrong with this place..."

Has any consensus been reached about PS4 vs Xbox One framerate? Or are we still waiting on Digital Foundry for that?

I'm checking that out right now. I want to say that so far it does seem to run just a little smoother but I'm still playing. Digital Foundry will be the most solid info though for sure.

Has any consensus been reached about PS4 vs Xbox One framerate? Or are we still waiting for Digital Foundry to settle that?

Waiting for Digital Foundry would be the best bet. I can personally tell you I'm usually not sensitive to framerate dropping, but with this game I can tell and it's all over the place on PS4.

I'm checking that out right now. I want to say that so far it does seem to run just a little smoother but I'm still playing. Digital Foundry will be the most solid info though for sure.

Cool, thanks for doing that.

Waiting for Digital Foundry would be the best bet. I can personally tell you I'm usually not sensitive to framerate dropping, but with this game I can tell and it's all over the place on PS4.

Yeah just watching the Giantbomb Quicklook of the PS4 version I could tell the framerate was pretty damn bad. I'm fairly sensitive to that kind of thing too, so I'm sure it would bug the hell out of me.

Lucent

Love how absolutely no one in the game has questioned what the fuck is going on...

"I think something might be wrong with this place..."

Yeah they seemed way too calm when they were
driving through the shifting city in chapter 1.
Sebastian's been pretty calm about a lot of things. lol

KorrZ

Played through chapter 1 so far and I have no idea what the fuck is even happening. Everything is just going tits up right from the get-go. Really loving the environments in this game everything looks great so far.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Any advice or (chapter six)
chainsaw man
?

I've unloaded everything I had into and i can't finish him. Am I screwed?

Spoo

So I got this on both PC and PS4 and I have to say:

The PS4 version is a huge disappointment in terms of performance. What a radically poor framerate considering the overall visual quality of the game (which ranges from pretty good to pretty bad at a pretty fast rate). It impacts the ability to play the game, really, and that's the worst thing you can say.

That said, I love the game so far (Up to chapter 3), but damn, I feel bad on behalf of the developers because I am sure they had to work hard enough to get it to "playable", but I'm not sure ripping the fuck out of the engine to accomplish what they did with regards to lighting and shadows was even remotely worth this.

chainsaw man
?

Die and before getting down to him, traverse the environments from every side, there is bound to be a create or something here and there that will have ammo in them. As long as you don't go down there, you won't trigger the boss.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
chainsaw man
?

There's ammo that spawns around the area. Run around in circles, bolts, and handgun ammo spawn. I'd lead him into a corner next to the building and then I'd run to his left or right to the opposite side, just don't get caught in his thrust move. I had zero ammo going into that fight, but you'll pick some up against the wall or look in the grass. Make sure to hit him with every shot or expect to be an expert at playing tag. I first got bolts, I found ammo in the grass, then I found handgun bullets against the far wall. This area is pretty wide, but turn around quick after a short distance.
If you want a trick, take out the guys in the top first (in a row because they shoot or open their doors depending on a certain spot you're at), fight to get ammo before taking the last turret out, then use axes or explosive tanks until you get down there. The last turret guy is taken out right at the bottom, so don't go down there first.. make that last. He won't even shoot unless you're down there. To save ammo kill the guy with an axe in his hand and use that on another guy. Just make sure you make that bottom section your last. I died here enough to make my own FAQ. ohlololol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I do have to echo the framerate complaints. The framerate seems to tank whenever fire is on screen. It does have moments that look pretty good but the framerate is surprising considering how it looks overall.

Despite that, I'm really enjoying the game. Not scary at all (still early though) but good atmosphere and a fun combination of stealth and survival.

Arklite

Vey early into chapter three, the stealth has been a double-edged sword so far. I love sneaking but if I can just solid snake these mtkrs then it's going to be a very different pace than I imagined.

How do i change the difficulty setting at the start? It just gives me the option to press X to confirm or O to go back. I don't want to play on "casual"

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks the advice, guys, but I've already picked the area clean and no more guys are respawning. :(

I'll have to reload to before the whole scenario, maybe. Yeesh.

I can't even lower the difficulty without restarting the chapter.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Thanks the advice, guys, but I've already picked the area clean and no more guys are respawning. :(

I'll have to reload to before the whole scenario, maybe. Yeesh.

I can't even lower the difficulty without restarting the chapter.

Have you waited around to see if ammo spawned?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That happens? :/

I found some out of nowhere. I went to the far left where they drop down and I found a bolt, ran over to the grass and found some bullets, then went back to the same wall and found some more bullets. Of course I hit him with two bolts before I ran out.

[ X X {CS MAN} ]

X is where I found bolts and ammo, bullets last, bolts first.

ramp/door closed grass open area that goes off the cliff: { } X : Grass in front where bullets were found

Cool, thanks for doing that.

Yeah just watching the Giantbomb Quicklook of the PS4 version I could tell the framerate was pretty damn bad. I'm fairly sensitive to that kind of thing too, so I'm sure it would bug the hell out of me.

Well it could be my imagination but it appears maybe a bit more stable? It's hard to tell. Still stutters at times.

This game has been nothing short of perfection, aside from a worrisome introduction. (I also can't say I understand the use of those cinematic bars, but they aren't a hinderance. I could do without them in The Order 1886 though...)

Just got to Chapter 5 and if it holds up, this will be my GotY by a mile.

This year, for me at least, has been a testament to how inessential reviews are. Destiny and The Evil Within are two of my favorite games not just this year, but of recent memory.

God damn, consider me a season pass buyer Bethesda / Tango. You earned every cent of my money.

How does NG+ work in this by the way? Same as RE4?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Nope. No respawns. Picked the area clean already. Shame. I usually try to play conservatively, but this game was constantly throwing ammo at me and this felt like an action sequence. Now I'm screwed. Not happy.

Edit: oh, in the boss room itself? I'll try.

Jobbs

Banned
Been playing the game tonight. In chapter 5 now. Started on survivor difficulty -- which is a bit intimidatingly named, but it's the stated "normal" experience, so I went with it (I refuse to take "easy" difficulties). I will not change the difficulty at any point, no matter how rough it gets.

Thoughts so far:

The game is really really cool. The visuals are generally very strong, with great effects, filters, and beautiful character models. It's an overall very tight visual package and aside from a few dropped frames (which has generally be limited to specific areas) I am very content and pleased with the presentation. On the gameplay, I recalled impressions ranging from "it started strong, then devolved into RE4" and "oh, shit, it's pure RE4!" and from the get go was pretty eager for the RE4 to happen, and ultimately wasn't disappointed.

With that being true, it comes as little surprise that the game is somewhat obtuse and old school in some aspects of gameplay, which I generally find charming -- But for as charming as that is, it's a double edged sword when the game is frequently pretty damn difficult. A number of areas took me several tries, most notably the part with the.. well, here's a hint:
I need something to cut this. Something like a chainsaw.
Holy christ, by the time I memorized the lay of the land and got everything choreographed down to a tea by wearing myself down to a nub with trial and error, it wasn't so bad, but I don't think games should ask this of people. I died a few times just because I couldn't get myself lined up on the switch with proper timing to
hit him with the trap.

The part with the
woman, kidman, in the cage
I also died a maybe 4 or 5 times on, which honestly didn't bother me much because the gameplay was pretty fun. I just kept messing up around
dynamite and getting exploded.

All that said, even though some areas are pretty trial and error heavy (at least for me, maybe some of you guys are ninjas) ultimately I don't hate it. I kind of find this type of thing oddly satisfying and charming, and in such a slick and lovingly produced package it's hard to not ultimately like it.

Also, this happened. You can't hear it in the gif, but I yelled something like "oh fucking snap" or to that effect.

HighlevelFocusedBorzoi.gif

I look forward to playing more, and while I don't look forward to how much I know the game is likely to torment me in future chapters, I don't think I'll regret the experience. I'm a bit of an oddball, though.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Nope. No respawns. Picked the area clean already. Shame. I usually try to play conservatively, but this game was constantly throwing ammo at me and this felt like an action sequence. Now I'm screwed. Not happy.

Is the feature to jump into someone else's game available yet? hehe I trust what you're saying.

I was just watching some video of people playing chapter 3 and it looks like they have the shotgun, crossbow and medkit.

I'm at that point and have none of those things. did I miss them?

eventually it doesn't matter,
don't worry just play the way you do.

I was just watching some video of people playing chapter 3 and it looks like they have the shotgun, crossbow and medkit.

DVCY201

Jeez, I just completed Chapter 5. Went toe-to-toe with NO matches against
Laura
. Wow, what an adrenaline rush, I'm shocked I did it without dying.

Animator

It is the fighting chance pack. redeem your code.

Can someone tell me what the fuck am I supposed to do at the very beginning of the game with the butcher dude. I am not sure where to go or what to do in this room, I died like 20 times already.

Also, this happened. You can't hear it in the gif, but I yelled something like "oh fucking snap" or to that effect.

HighlevelFocusedBorzoi.gif

I look forward to playing more, and while I don't look forward to how much I know the game is likely to torment me in future chapters, I don't think I'll regret the experience. I'm a bit of an oddball, though.

I saw your gif literally 5 seconds after telling my girlfriend, "There HAS to be an easier way to kill these invisible asshats!"

I've literally been using my pistol for my entire playthrough. I suppose it's time to use the crossbow? :D

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It is the fighting chance pack. redeem your code.

Can someone tell me what the fuck am I supposed to do at the very beginning of the game with the butcher dude. I am not sure where to go or what to do in this room, I died like 20 times already.

There is key next to his station hanging on top his station where he's working, get it, and go back to where you were and to your right is a door. Wait for him to start walking into his cellar. It blends in with the light he's using, so it's hard to see at first.

I saw your gif literally 5 seconds after telling my girlfriend, "There HAS to be an easier way to kill these invisible asshats!"

I've literally been using my pistol for my entire playthrough. I suppose it's time to use the crossbow? :D

or you could just melee and shotgun in the face. Worked for me..

Jobbs

Banned
what have you guys been upgrading? Sprint is a no brainer (the default sprint duration is ludicrous and has led to some absolutely stupid deaths) but aside from that I've kinda been spreading it out since so many things seem useful. The game on survivor feels hard enough that I really want every advantage I can get.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
what have you guys been upgrading? Sprint is a no brainer (the default sprint duration is ludicrous and has led to some absolutely stupid deaths) but aside from that I've kinda been spreading it out since so many things seem useful. The game on survivor feels hard enough that I really want every advantage I can get.

Stamina and health first, damage dealt with weapons next, then I focus on melee damage.

Spoiler..spoiler.. ALERT!!

unmarked-police-car-w.jpg

Top Bottom