• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

I was just watching some video of people playing chapter 3 and it looks like they have the shotgun, crossbow and medkit.

I'm at that point and have none of those things. did I miss them?

Explore enough and you'll find them in the same chapter.
Don't know about the medkit though since bullets and health items are randomized.

Son of a bitch, that spoiler above.

That's it, I just got here while waiting for my shift to start, because I was hyped to get back home and play again, but I guess this thread isn't safe.

Reebot

Chapter five down, about three hours of play so far. Got to call it quits for now. What a disappointment.

Just so I'm not ragging on this game non-stop: there's so much going for TEW, especially in the visuals. Best feeling head shots in game hands down. I just cannot understand almost all the major design choices. I don't know anything about the behind the scenes here but I'd bet it was a tumultuous development process.

Also not really getting the complaints about the difficulty. Realize I'm only a third in but its pretty easy so far. I recommend the crossbow for anyone having problems. They rain ammo on you for it and you can craft your own. And its a powerhouse for damage. And its hilarious when you aim it so you get a good laugh each time.

Jobbs

Banned
Chapter five down, about three hours of play so far. Got to call it quits for now. What a disappointment.

Just so I'm not ragging on this game non-stop: there's so much going for TEW, especially in the visuals. Best feeling head shots in game hands down. I just cannot understand almost all the major design choices. I don't know anything about the behind the scenes here but I'd bet it was a tumultuous development process.

Also not really getting the complaints about the difficulty. Realize I'm only a third in but its pretty easy so far. I recommend the crossbow for anyone having problems. They rain ammo on you for it and you can craft your own. And its a powerhouse for damage. And its hilarious when you aim it so you get a good laugh each time.

you playing on survivor? because I've found the game to be pretty tough on survivor after 5 chapters myself, and I consider myself to be generally pretty good at this type of thing.

And I disagree, the game seems to have a strong sense of itself -- It's Mikami Mikami-ing. After 5 chapters, if the game continues on this trajectory I'm easy in 8 to 9 range in terms of how i'd score it.

Alfredo

Reading through these posts...whoops. Looks live I've been wasting matches on stealth-killed enemies, lol.

I just finished Chapter 3. Game seems pretty cool so far. A lot less harder than I thought it would be...so far...

I like how I was able to save scum the game in Chapter 3 by constantly running back to the save room in case I messed something up. I'm sure I won't be able to do that in later parts of the game. I wonder if doing this even helps, 'cause I don't know if maybe enemies respawn when you reload a save. I don't know, since I still haven't had to reload a save yet!

Really resenting the fact this doesn't come out till tomorrow (the 16th) in Australia. I really really want to play it now. Will hopefully get to pick it up tomorrow night unless I'm too tired in which case it'll be Saturday morning.

Pretty much 100% certain I'm going to love it at this point. At the same time I'm not expecting it to be perfect, but few games come close so I'm sure I'll enjoy it for what it is regardless of the story lacking or technical issues etc.

malfcn

Liking it so far. I'm playing at a snails pace to absorb the atmosphere. Finished chapter 2. It dies bother me in games where you can't do anything, then a cut scene has you do stuff you can't do.

This game! I don't even know where to begin, I guess the horror feel. Imagine if RE4 got a true horror make over. Instead of a bright sunny village that looks semi normal, everything is rotten, dark, grainy, bloody. Everything feels disgusting. I won't say it is scary as I have had little fear so far, there has been a good jump scare or two, but the fear for your characters life is at a different level than RE4.

Where RE4 is about empowering Leon to be an unstoppable killing machine, TEW is about barely getting by. There is ammo, just enough to stay alive but not enough to shoot everything you see. All firearms feel weak at the moment, most enemies will take a few blasts before going down. The stealth elements add a whole different twist to the gameplay and to me it doesn't feel that close to RE4. Honestly it is more TLOU than RE4. Enemies creep around, you get to use bottles to distract enemies to give you time to sneak up on them for a stealth kill. There are all sorts of traps you can disarm or use them on the enemies. Instead of a non stop action sequence where you are shooting 20-30 enemies in a large area like RE4, you are sneaking around dispatching 5-10 enemies in a smart ammo conserving manner.

I have gotten to chapter 4 so far and I will say the design of the levels is pure RE4. There have been those moments where a room is specially designed to give you just enough options to make the upcoming battle with a rush of enemies an absolute blast to play.

I enjoyed the slow paced beginning and the action packed last few chapters I have played. There are loads of hidden items to find in these environments, I have enjoyed simply looking around. The upgrade system is very deep and actually impacts your play. There have been a few graphical hiccups, some clipping. I had a few moments of enemy AI getting stuck on something, nothing that serious but noticeable. The graphics are ok, character models are very last gen. The sound design is amazing, get this on a surround system.

So for me the combat in this game is clearly not as engaging as RE4, they are not going for the same kind of action. The stealth/shooter hybrid is very interesting, I am not sure it is my favorite choice of action, but the level design has been impeccable so far which is very important. I loved what I played.

If you stealth them or headshot them, they won't be coming back regardless

whoa, didn't know that. thanks

it's too bad about the game's performance, because from a design perspective it looks fantastic most of the time. if this was full screen and had a more consistent frame rate (two big ifs, unfortunately) it'd one of the better looking console games.

Reebot

you playing on survivor? because I've found the game to be pretty tough on survivor after 5 chapters myself, and I consider myself to be generally pretty good at this type of thing.

And I disagree, the game seems to have a strong sense of itself -- It's Mikami Mikami-ing. After 5 chapters, if the game continues on this trajectory I'm easy in 8 to 9 range in terms of how i'd score it.

Yeah playing on survivor. The enemies have pretty ridiculous start up time and windows for actually damaging you so you can kite them real easy with patience. Thats not a complaint, I actually think that methodical style of combat is really fun. I've dropped hundreds of hours into RE 4 and 5 so maybe that helps.

As for the game I just don't know man. Mikami made REmake and RE4, guy knows how to put a game together. But here, its honestly like someone else designed this and he slapped his name on it. Like Spielberg taking credit for an Asylum movie. So much about the game screams B-tier.

Dead

well not really...yet
Just finished chapter 5. That was fucking INTENSE. The mood in this game is crazy. It's like evil dead crossed with hell raiser crossed with shutter island. This is far more hardcore of a horror experience than resident evil ever was.

Btw, are there supposed to be achievements for completing each chapter? I've yet to get a single one.

Good LAWD @ Chapter 5

iewTSWZpls6XV.gif

What an absolute beast of a chapter. Incredible pacing + extremely fun encounters. The game gets way better after you spend lots of green juice points for upgrades to health, stamina, and weapon damage/crits. And these headshots are so satisfying.

The Evil Within, you keep this up and we'll get along juuuust fine.

Ok so the scene where you meet the Dr in chapter 4 def ran smoother during the cutscene and after you gain control to shoot on xbox one. My guess is the lower resolution helps maybe?

Good LAWD @ Chapter 5

iewTSWZpls6XV.gif

What an absolute beast of a chapter. Incredible pacing + extremely fun encounters. The game gets way better after you spend lots of green juice points for upgrades to health, stamina, and weapon damage/crits. And these headshots are so satisfying.

That's what I have been saying for the past 3 - 4 days, lmao. The upgrading and what you upgrade really IMPACT and CHANGE how you play as well as approach enemies.

Crap. I'm getting a slight headache playing this game, and I'm sitting the usual distance away from my TV.

Hopefully some Advil will help. I really want to play and enjoy this game, but my head's bugging me.

Good LAWD @ Chapter 5

iewTSWZpls6XV.gif

Oh man! I just finished chapter 6 and thought it was even better. Probably being clouded by hype at the moment but I'm *this* close to calling it my favorite "chunk" of a game so far this year. Just one stellar encounter after another. It's so fucking RE4 without being RE4, I can't even.

RedAssedApe

Banned
how are you guys setting the brightness? i have it set to 50 right now...but some places with shadows seem pitch black. are enemies supposed to not be able to see you in the shadows or am i just crushing the blacks playing like this?

100 is too bright in that there are no more dark areas...so somewhere in between? i guess for once i should use the...adjust until you can barely see this image instructions? :)

Just finished chapter 5. That was fucking INTENSE. The mood in this game is crazy. It's like evil dead crossed with hell raiser crossed with shutter island. This is far more hardcore of a horror experience than resident evil ever was.

Btw, are there supposed to be achievements for completing each chapter? I've yet to get a single one.

Yes but you need to do something specific within that chapter. Each chapter has them. For example in CH5
Rescued Kidman without Joseph taking any damage in Chapter 5.

Animator

I can confirm that the PS4 patch DOES improve the frame rate considerably.

I was on chapter 2 in that outdoor environment and the frame rate was utter shit (it was terrible chapter 1 as well) I was literally going to put the game on craigslist tomorrow because it was unplayable. When I quit the game I saw the "evil within patch is ready to install" notification and went right back in to see if there is a difference and there is. Runs way better now.

Also, gotta say this game has some of the best art direction I have seen and I am only in chapter 2.

Lucent

Ok so the scene where you meet the Dr in chapter 4 def ran smoother during the cutscene and after you gain control to shoot on xbox one. My guess is the lower resolution helps maybe?

Hopefully we get a patch on PS4. The interiors are generally fine, but the outside areas like in chapter 3 felt like the frames dropped a bit. The game looks great to me but I really would like a smoother framerate. I really wish they would've went with another engine or something. Just feel like if Infamous can pull off what it did in full screen and be an open world and run smoother, this should've been able to, too. But they went cross-gen so that probably hurt it some.

Really hope if Mikami makes another game it's more polished.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I can confirm that the PS4 patch DOES improve the frame rate considerably.

I was on chapter 2 in that outdoor environment and the frame rate was utter shit (it was terrible chapter 1 as well) I was literally going to put the game on craigslist tomorrow because it was unplayable. When I quit the game I saw the "evil within patch is ready to install" notification and went right back in to see if there is a difference and there is. Runs way better now.

Also, gotta say this game has some of the best art direction I have seen and I am only in chapter 2.

is there a new patch or is this 1.01? its definitely not a steady 30. feels bad even coming from destiny...and obviously tlou there is no comparison...

Bl@de

Just wanted to say one thing. Keyboard/Mouse Controls are awesome. Bindings perfectly chosen and aiming + shooting is so satisfying. The zoomed in perspective is perfect for popping heads. The gameplay mechanics feel great.

Especially at 60fps ;-) Gorgeous

how are you guys setting the brightness? i have it set to 50 right now...but some places with shadows seem pitch black. are enemies supposed to not be able to see you in the shadows or am i just crushing the blacks playing like this?

100 is too bright in that there are no more dark areas...so somewhere in between? i guess for once i should use the...adjust until you can barely see this image instructions? :)

I have it on 38 lol. I used the image instructions. :D It suppose to be pitch black so you can see just how great the lighting is when you fire up your lantern.

Okay, I can't even get past the first part, lol!

That butcher guy: I can't kill him, right? Maybe stun him, steal the key, and run for the door? Or sneak up behind him a few more times?

This game already looks like it'll be a challenge!

Nvm. Got past him. Just needed more patience!

Hate stealth, ugh.

That's what I have been saying for the past 3 - 4 days, lmao. The upgrading and what you upgrade really IMPACT and CHANGE how you play as well as approach enemies.

The difference between my struggle combat in Chapter 3 vs the stuff I just pulled off in Chapter 5 is almost like 2 different games. Also, all these new types of crossbow bolts are terrific. I even managed to (CHAPTER 5 SPOILERS)
kill the spider lady with an explosive bolt right to the face.
So good.

Oh man! I just finished chapter 6 and thought it was even better. Probably being clouded by hype at the moment but I'm *this* close to calling it my favorite "chunk" of a game so far this year. Just one stellar encounter after another. It's so fucking RE4 without being RE4, I can't even.

HYPE. Wish I could keep going but I need sleep.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Man, I'm still at the start of chapter 4, lol.

I did just dump a of points into stamina and doubling the starting amount seems to make it a lot better. I'm excited to dig into it a lot more tomorrow since I've seen a lot of potential.

The difference between my struggle combat in Chapter 3 vs the stuff I just pulled off in Chapter 5 is almost like 2 different games. Also, all these new types of crossbow bolts are terrific. I even managed to (CHAPTER 5 SPOILERS)
kill the spider lady with an explosive bolt right to the face.
So good.

Awesome. I used the two burning floors on her then the torch then I return to where the enteance of this place was and waited for her to come near the red barrel then BANG, she went out with a bang that's for sure. I mostly did that because I was low on ammo, I wasted everything when she was following me because I was tensed lol

Brightness at 75 and then 50. Which one looks better to ya'll?

catwalk from chapter 1.

I actually prefer the darker setting. I stuck with 50 for a while, but then I followed the on-screen settings for the brightness settings (45 now, I think) and got used to that.

imae

Enjoying the game more than I thought I would so far, I really didn't want to stop playing last night. There are some great set pieces, the atmosphere is great and I'm really liking the overall setting and tone of the game. Gameplay mechanics are generally quite solid too.
I can't say the story has grabbed me yet, but at the same time I really want to know what the hell is going on :D.

I actually don't mind the black bars much at all, they definitely help give the game a distinct cinematic feel and maybe in some ways even help increase tension while playing.

I can't think of another game with such a gradual upward slope in quality like this one. Basically my reactions to chapters

Chapter 1-meh
2-okay, I guess
3-not bad!
4-starting to really like this...
5-HOLY SHIT THIS IS AWESOME
6-*passes out*

Really ducking sucks about the technical stuff, because if this quality keeps up or possibly even gets better...this might just be one of the very best games I've ever played.

Awesome. I used the two burning floors on her then the torch then I return to where the enteance of this place was and waited for her to come near the red barrel then BANG, she went out with a bang that's for sure. I mostly did that because I was low on ammo, I wasted everything when she was following me because I was tensed lol

Nice. I used both barrels + 2 torch melees + 1 burning room. I probably could've killed her in the other fire pit, but she just did not want to stay put in there. 2 shotgun blasts and 1 crazy lucky explosive bow later and I was smiling like an idiot.

Jobbs

Banned
Okay, I can't even get past the first part, lol!

That butcher guy: I can't kill him, right? Maybe stun him, steal the key, and run for the door? Or sneak up behind him a few more times?

This game already looks like it'll be a challenge!

Nvm. Got past him. Just needed more patience!

Hate stealth, ugh.

if it makes you feel any better, that section isn't representative of the rest of the game -- it's not, on the whole, a stealth centric game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I can't think of another game with such a gradual upward slope in quality like this one. Basically my reactions to chapters

Chapter 1-meh
2-okay, I guess
3-not bad!
4-starting to really like this...
5-HOLY SHIT THIS IS AWESOME
6-*passes out*

Really ducking sucks about the technical stuff, because if this quality keeps up or possibly even gets better...this might just be one of the very best games I've ever played.

Chapter 2 is fine just for the RE1 nod.

Top Bottom