• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Feindflug

I can't think of another game with such a gradual upward slope in quality like this one. Basically my reactions to chapters

Chapter 1-meh
2-okay, I guess
3-not bad!
4-starting to really like this...
5-HOLY SHIT THIS IS AWESOME
6-*passes out*

Really ducking sucks about the technical stuff, because if this quality keeps up or possibly even gets better...this might just be one of the very best games I've ever played.

I stopped after completing Chapter 3 yesterday and these were also my reactions as well, hopefully this continues because you seem to enjoy the game a lot more after Chapter 3. :p

Also facts so far = this is the best looking id tech5 game by far, the art direction is amazing, the black bars are too big and best headshots ever.

This has probably been spoken about somewhere in this thread but,

Anyone find the widescreen black bars extremely annoying?

I'm playing on a 42" TV and i think it's a joke that so much of the screen has been cut off.
I'm constantly moving the camera all over the place making sure i've not missed anything which really stops me from getting immersed in the world.

Also, why would anyone think it's a good idea the throw the "Hold B to Skip" logo in the corner of a cutscene on the first play through? Again ruining the immersion.

Apart from this im enjoying the game, only finished the first chapter but enjoying it non the less.

SMZC

Has there been any word on the native resolution? I'm playing the game and it looks rather blurry, I don't know if it's the filter/s being applied to it or a sub-1080p resolution (if not both). Either way, I was initially very disappointed with the way this looked. Kinda enjoying the rest so far, though.

Absolutely, I think it's terrible.

This has probably been spoken about somewhere in this thread but,

I'm playing on a 42" TV and i think it's a joke that so much of the screen has been cut off.
I'm constantly moving the camera all over the place making sure i've not missed anything which really stops me from getting immersed in the world.

Also, why would anyone think it's a good idea the throw the "Hold B to Skip" logo in the corner of a cutscene on the first play through? Again ruining the immersion.

Apart from this im enjoying the game, only finished the first chapter but enjoying it non the less.
It honestly doesn't bother me. But that's just me I guess.

I'm getting used to it.

What bothers me is the close zoom aiming. I don't like that. Very jarring.

Just played the first two chapters. Really digging it so far, despite the low frame rate (ps4 btw). 2nd chapter I thought was a blast, and what I keep reading is that the game keeps getting better and better. This makes me very excited.

randomwab

I ended up playing a ton yesterday, haven't finished it yet but can I just say...

Chapter 9 is the real deal. It alone is making the game GotY material. Mikami!

Hypron

I just finished Chapter 3. Does the game automatically adjust the difficulty?
I killed the chainsaw guy with my last bullet, and that seemed a bit too convenient.

Lucent

I've basically been playing this game RE1/REmake style: Be so conservative with ammo that I sometimes let myself get killed because I feel I used too much ammo and know I could do better. And then I'll end up going all out at the end of the game. lol. Think sometimes I need to just let go a bit more.

I killed the chainsaw guy with my last bullet, and that seemed a bit too convenient.

lol I highly doubt that.

Though so far I haven't experience random enemy placement like Dusk was talking about when playing the demo awhile ago. Only the random item placement. Had some shotgun ammo on a table once and I died. Went back to the table and it wasn't there. =l

-MD-

You just got real lucky, I had a lot of ammo left when he went down.

For anyone attempting the knife kill of the sadist, only the killing blow has to be with the knife,
Tactic spoilers
in the watchtower there is a flash bolt, make more after you get it, they will blind and immobilize him when you shoot it in front of him, you can do a stealth kill after wearing him down with explosive a couple of bolts

ragevvorks

Neo Member
Finally started last night and gosh, it's got some serious eyecandy, however the FOV makes it a bit of a struggle to observe all of the environments' beauty easily. I find myself constantly rotating the cam and walking towards obvious dead ends just to appreciate the effort put in the textures and shaders, which in a way breaks the 'cinematic' feel since I'm not staying in the classical film camera angles while playing.

That being said, my biggest disappointment was found very early on - the first encounter with the
chainsaw guy
. I spent a good 30 minute chunk doing my best to sneak by, constrained by the narrow fov and my shitty surround system so I couldn't easily tell where he is at any given point, only to have him end me from behind, seemingly out of nowhere.
Then I said f-it and just waited for him to go towards the entrance of the room and made a run for it. Guess what - he chased me, caught up to me, clipped through some environment props, got stuck in a door frame and I got past in the most retarded way possible -_- Aaaand the sense of dread and survival was gone =/

Hope it picks up again in later chapters, as some of you say it does.

On a side note the
"velvet room" hub area
is pretty sweet.

Hey guys ! Chapter Two here and i don't know why i'm burning the dead monsters but i keep doing it lol, i missed something ? Or il will undestrand later ?

Watched the entire game being streamed, due to being low on funds. My first impressions were pretty low, but the game actually picks up quite a bit and turns into a fun ride. That final boss was incredible.
Can't wait for the sequel. :)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I've beaten the game. I have a lot to say, but will in upcoming posts. I will say this: Favorite chapters (in order of how they go and not favorite to least favorite or whatever) were chapters 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 15. The others were really good too, but these were the stand-out chapters for me for different reasons. My least favorite chapter was chapter 12, but even that wasn't bad, just okay.

Something I will say: You can tell this was a big passion project for them. The game is so full of ideas, it's almost ridiculous. They literally go in adding new things until the very end. This is in some ways a pro and a con, because it means that while one part of the game you might find absolutely amazing, another part may not strike well with you.

But an area the game succeeds in is that it really does have no filler, and for me at least even my least favorite moments of the game aren't terrible or anything, just ehhish to me, and I feel the game succeeds with me about 85% of the time. And the moments I love, I REALLY love, the game is fully of very fun scenarios from beginning to end. Some of my favorite moments aren't even in my favorite chapters listed above.

I'll come with a confession right now: I don't think this game is as tightly produced or as 'quality' as Resident Evil 4. It has more hank, more all-over-the-place focus, but it is an extremely tight and often creative and fun game that I think in the end I may actually like more than RE4. I'm not saying it's RE4-2 or A RE4 killer, but I think this game's best moments for me surpassed RE4 for me, which trust me, is an accomplishment. I think it had higher highs for me and lower lows than RE4, but overall I liked the surreal, darker, more survival tone of it more than it which hit strong in my strike zone.

Few more things I want to say right now I will say in separate posts.

Dusk Golem

Watched the entire game being streamed, due to being low on funds. My first impressions were pretty low, but the game actually picks up quite a bit and turns into a fun ride. That final boss was incredible.
Can't wait for the sequel. :)

I just want to say the final chapter in general was insane. I loved it, like really loved it.

How do you deal with chests that have bomb traps in them?

It's a game of chicken and reacting. Hold E and let go as soon as you start hearing beeping, take too long to let go and it explodes.

Stopped halfway through chapter 2. So far its way better than RE 4-6 but I wouldn't say its as good as ps1 era survival horror games. Game runs really choppy I noticed some framerate and graphical issues but other than that gameplay is pretty addictive and I look forward to see where this game goes.

NEO0MJ

So, something creepy happened to me in chapter 4...
When I entered the mirror I suddenly spawned in the room with the map, camera was hazy and in black and while. Also, the nurse was covered in blood, silent, and was moving in an erratic way. I kept following her so afraid :(
I thought it was supposed to be a safehouse ;_;

I've beaten the game. I have a lot to say, but will in upcoming posts. I will say this: Favorite chapters (in order of how they go and not favorite to least favorite or whatever) were chapters 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 15. The others were really good too, but these were the stand-out chapters for me for different reasons. My least favorite chapter was chapter 12, but even that wasn't bad, just okay.

Something I will say: You can tell this was a big passion project for them. The game is so full of ideas, it's almost ridiculous. They literally go in adding new things until the very end. This is in some ways a pro and a con, because it means that while one part of the game you might find absolutely amazing, another part may not strike well with you.

But an area the game succeeds in is that it really does have no filler, and for me at least even my least favorite moments of the game aren't terrible or anything, just ehhish to me, and I feel the game succeeds with me about 85% of the time. And the moments I love, I REALLY love, the game is fully of very fun scenarios from beginning to end. Some of my favorite moments aren't even in my favorite chapters listed above.

I'll come with a confession right now: I don't think this game is as tightly produced or as 'quality' as Resident Evil 4. It has more hank, more all-over-the-place focus, but it is an extremely tight and often creative and fun game that I think in the end I may actually like more than RE4. I'm not saying it's RE4-2 or A RE4 killer, but I think this game's best moments for me surpassed RE4 for me, which trust me, is an accomplishment. I think it had higher highs for me and lower lows than RE4, but overall I liked the surreal, darker, more survival tone of it more than it which hit strong in my strike zone.

Few more things I want to say right now I will say in separate posts.

Don't worry, my man. Me and MD so far prefer TEW to RE4 and we haven't even finished the game lol. Just greatness all around and I share the exact same reasons as to why I love/prefer it than RE4.

JoeFenix

Just finished it, holy fuck chapter 15, what a ride!

Don't feel like giving out my full, detailed impressions right now but it was definitely a flawed gem.

What a cool game, warts and all!

So I've seen mixed reviews for this so far but I really like the premise, is this a day one type game? To give a bit of background I don't play traditional survival horror games but I enjoy action games with creepy undertones and dream sequences (such as Resi 4, Shadows of the Damned and Bioshock). Or is this more straight laced horror? And how annoying are the black bars.

What I'm saying is will this game make me shit my pants and not want to continue or will I see it to the end?

So I've seen mixed reviews for this so far but I really like the premise, is this a day one type game? To give a bit of background I don't play traditional survival horror games but I enjoy action games with creepy undertones and dream sequences (such as Resi 4, Shadows of the Damnedand Bioshock). Or is this more straight laced horror? And how annoying are the black bars.

What I'm saying is will this game make me shit my pants and not want to continue or will I see it to the end?

Play it

So I've seen mixed reviews for this so far but I really like the premise, is this a day one type game? To give a bit of background I don't play traditional survival horror games but I enjoy action games with creepy undertones and dream sequences (such as Resi 4, Shadows of the Damned and Bioshock). Or is this more straight laced horror? And how annoying are the black bars.

Depending on some chapters in the game, yes.

So, something creepy happened to me in chapter 4...
When I entered the mirror I suddenly spawned in the room with the map, camera was hazy and in black and while. Also, the nurse was covered in blood, silent, and was moving in an erratic way. I kept following her so afraid :(
I thought it was supposed to be a safehouse ;_;

That's what surprised and made me love the game even more.
NO WHERE IS SAFE, NOT EVEN THE SAVE HUB.

Just beat chapter 5 and realized I haven't touched my health or syringe upgrades. Lol I've mainly been focusing on my revolver and how much supply/ammo I can carry. How much harder does the game get so I can know whether or not to upgrade anything health related? I died 4 times and only once from a boss.

This FOV is killing me in the start of chapter 3
with helping the doctor and opening the door.
it so zoomed in and there is so much hanging cloth shit I just can't see and it makes me very disoriented. Normally I am fine in games but this really makes it almost unplayable.

I'm also the first to admit I am shit at many games but I seem extra shit with this game, couple it with using a controller (so my wife can watch me play in bed rather than me hunched over my K&M) and I don't know if I will ever get to the end.

The shooting feels really good and the headshots are amazing but I can't get over the other stuff.

So are there freezing glitches that are common on ps4 or something? Just froze 5 times while grabbing the keys at the very start of chapter 1 and then froze again after I got killed messing around trying to make it so it wouldn't freeze a sixth time.

Pretty poor first impression, ended up just closing the game out of frustration.

Dusk Golem

Does anyone know what the map fragments are for yet?

I'm almost done collecting them all, I have 24/28 of them on completion of my first playthrough. I just need to find fragments 1, 7, and two others I don't remember the numbers of off the top.

But I'm so close, they probably don't do anything but I want to believe they do.

By collecting this many, I did notice something though. Minor spoiler:
Krimson City when put in a map form looks like a brain,

Jyester

I have been reading this thread in order to motivate myself to pick the game up again tonight. Yesterday, I finished chapter 1 and 2 (PS4). I have been on a media blackout pretty much since the announcement, so apart from the opening and the black haired spiderwoman I knew nothing.

Seeing as I loved REmake and RE4 is one of my all-time favorites, I was dead-set on loving this, too. Game could not have made a worst first impression. Especially chapter 2. Chapter 1 was alright, probably because I only died once in the very beginning. I was able to sneak past the gimplord with a stroke of luck, but at least it did not break the immersion. Chapter 2 ticks that box effortlessly with its janky framerate, awful AI (enemies getting stuck) and inability to convey how the game should be played. It's been said before, but thinking back to RE4's village opening just makes me shake my head.

I really hope it picks up. People who say "you deserve to die" if you do not understand how the game should be played are wrong. The game pretends to be RE4 at the start of chapter 2, and immediately enters an identity crisis by switching to LOU.

The patch became available when I quit after chapter 2. I really hope to eat some delicious crow tonight!

Top Bottom