• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

I have been reading this thread in order to get motivate myself to pick the game up again tonight. Yesterday, I finished chapter 1 and 2 (PS4). I have been on a media blackout pretty much since the announcement, so apart from the opening and the black haired spiderwoman I knew nothing.

Seeing as I loved REmake and RE4 is one of my all-time favorites, I was dead-set on loving this, too. Game could not have made a worst first impression. Especially chapter 2. Chapter 1 was alright, probably because I only died once in the very beginning. I was able to sneak past the gimplord with a stroke of luck, but at least it did not break the immersion. Chapter 2 ticks that box effortlessly with its janky framerate, awful AI (enemies getting stuck) and inability to convey how the game should be played. It's been said before, but thinking back to RE4's village opening just makes me shake my head.

I really hope it picks up. People who say "you deserve to die" if you do not understand how the game should be played are wrong. The game pretends to be RE4 at the start of chapter 2, and immediately enters an identity crisis by switching to LOU.

The patch became available when I quit after chapter 2. I really hope to eat some delicious crow tonight!
Identity crisis because the second stage isn't like the first? There are 15 chapters, at least Wait till you at least get a quarter of the way through the game before you start throwing that term out.

Hypron

I've basically been playing this game RE1/REmake style: Be so conservative with ammo that I sometimes let myself get killed because I feel I used too much ammo and know I could do better. And then I'll end up going all out at the end of the game. lol. Think sometimes I need to just let go a bit more.

lol I highly doubt that.

Though so far I haven't experience random enemy placement like Dusk was talking about when playing the demo awhile ago. Only the random item placement. Had some shotgun ammo on a table once and I died. Went back to the table and it wasn't there. =l

No it doesn't. You were just lucky.

You just got real lucky, I had a lot of ammo left when he went down.

Haha that's awesome then :p I was starting to panic a bit, I only had one pistol bullet left... Shot him in the head with it and he died haha.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Let me just say this: I can see some people being really upset with chapters 11 and 12. I won't go into why or details, but there's elements in those two chapters that are... Something else.

There's also a lot of really cool moments in those two chapters as well, but I will say my personal least favorite moments happened in those two chapters and let's just say they go in a very different direction than the rest of the game...

Indentity crisis? Is the game not allowed to have a stealth mechanic?
It does but I think what he wants to say that the mechanics don't feel fleshed out. The AI is incredibly dumb and there are bugs. At first I was like "Oh shit!" when an enemy discovered me but once I realized how friggin easy it is to outrun them and go into hiding again, all tension was gone.

I hate it how every game seems to be forced on "play how you want to play". This is the dumbest thing ever. Either make a good stealth game or a good action game. Leaving the player the option to do both fails almost every time because each play style ends up lacking in the end. This is why RE4 was so amazing. The wanted to make an action game and they fleshed the fuck out of it. Now here we go again and do not have apple nor orange.

Mikami, I am disappoint.

Let me just say this: I can see some people being really upset with chapters 11 and 12. I won't go into why or details, but there's elements in those two chapters that are... Something else.

There's also a lot of really cool moments in those two chapters as well, but I will say my personal least favorite moments happened in those two chapters and let's just say they go in a very different direction than the rest of the game...

Oh no, I'm both scared/excited for this now lol

Jyester

Sorry for not explaining the "identity crisis" further. What I meant was that the game made me think I'd be able to tackle the enemies without too much trouble, seeing that the game gives you a gun and a brief melee tutorial before the first encounter/callback to RE1. After shooting this guy, however, I have only a couple of bullets left, and I had ended up having to brainknife every enemy in the larger area.

Although I enjoyed the stealth in LOU, I did not at all in TEW c2. Enemies are stupid, but strong. I had enough bullets for one, tried melee, but realized this was completely worthless. Knifing enemies loses its impact after the third time. Their general stupidity breaks the immersion as well.

In the end, after keeping R1 pressed as to avoid all boobytraps, I lured some of them inside, which was moderately satisfying. In the next area, I was discovered by the large group of dudes pretty quickly, and just ended up running around, not finding my way immediately. They just ran after me in a clean line until I found out where I had to go.

In conclusion, I felt some empowerment at the beginning of c2, which was quickly replaced by a forced stealth section which I did not enjoy at all, also due to the technical problems described in my earlier post.

I will keep playing, mind you! It is just that this opening left me very underwhelmed.

Edit: agree with this 100%.

It does but I think what he wants to say that the mechanics don't feel fleshed out. The AI is incredibly dumb and there are bugs. At first I was like "Oh shit!" when an enemy discovered me but once I realized how friggin easy it is to outrun them and go into hiding again, all tension was gone.

I hate it how every game seems to be forced on "play how you want to play". This is the dumbest thing ever. Either make a good stealth game or a good action game. Leaving the player the option to do both fails almost every time because each play style ends up lacking in the end. This is why RE4 was so amazing. The wanted to make an action game and they fleshed the fuck out of it. Now here we go again and do not have apple nor orange.

Mikami, I am disappoint.

had a chance to play this last night on a friends ps4...
Couldn't shake the feeling that it was an amazing game crippled by one of the worst cameras ever designed, i'm absolutely shocked that everyone on gaf is saying nothing is wrong, it's on par with the resident evil 6 camera yet just because it's mikami it get's a free pass.
in my opinion this game deserves a patch more-so than resi 6 as this actually seems like an amazing game worth saving.
The black bars, whilst annoying i can live with but that camera is truly awful, i feel the people with a pc version will get to play an incredible experience once it's modded.
I should also add that the art design(at least in the first few chapters) is truly amazing, but ruined by the camera/fov.

-MD-

had a chance to play this last night on a friends ps4...
Couldn't shake the feeling that it was an amazing game crippled by one of the worst cameras ever designed, i'm absolutely shocked that everyone on gaf is saying nothing is wrong, it's on par with the resident evil 6 camera yet just because it's mikami it get's a free pass.
in my opinion this game deserves a patch more-so than resi 6 as this actually seems like an amazing game worth saving.
The black bars, whilst annoying i can live with but that camera is truly awful, i feel the people with a pc version will get to play an incredible experience once it's modded.

Is the camera different on PS4? Feels totally fine on PC.

Lucent

Does anyone know what the map fragments are for yet?

I'm almost done collecting them all, I have 24/28 of them on completion of my first playthrough. I just need to find fragments 1, 7, and two others I don't remember the numbers of off the top.

But I'm so close, they probably don't do anything but I want to believe they do.

By collecting this many, I did notice something though. Minor spoiler:
Krimson City when put in a map form looks like a brain,

I am on chapter 6 now and stopped there for the night. I haven't found a single fragment yet. I have no idea where to look for these. I'm looking around all the areas but I haven't seen anything that looks like a map fragment.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Oh no, I'm both scared/excited for this now lol

Two spoilers for the tone and a couple moments in the chapter 11 in particular (first spoiler is just tone of them, second spoiler includes gameplay moment descriptions).

Chapter 11 & 12
go in something like The Evil Within's version of the island in RE4, but it feels weirder in The Evil Within because of the rest of the game. There's sections that feel like they'd be right out of RE4's end game scenarios, but feel completely out of place almost with TEW. It's a complete tonal shift from the two chapters right before it, that are very horror heavy.

But that's not to say the whole chapter is like that, there's actually some really fun gameplay moments in that chapter that only happen in that chapter.
There's a swimming mechanic only used in chapter 11 in the whole game, and with that there's an underwater monster that can eat you in one gulp. Some really fun frantic moments of trying to get to land and distracting the monster as you move from haven to haven. And a moment where you can't shoot any guns as flammable gas is in the air, and have to make your way through a mannequin factory full of Haunted without being allowed to shoot a single bullet.

In the end I actually liked them, and think they'll be more fun to replay, but when I first was playing the chapters, I was thinking to myself, "Oh dear, this is really not what I want from this game." It does get back to it's business right after these, though.

Mikami, I am disappoint.
Fair enoigh but I would be disappointed if he didn't give options, for what they are the AI is fine in my opinion, I appreciate how the various elements play off of each other, and I abuse them as I see fit..maybe I'll draw a group of 4 haunted and use my flash bolt to blind them and get 4 stealth kills back to back..Or maybe I'll just burn them all with an incendiary bolt in honor of Beavis..I'm having fun..Mikami I am please :)

I'm having a lot of fun (only on chapter 3 so far), it's not that scary other than it being really fucked up shit, tension and a lot of gore, which I like. I wasn't expecting it to be scary any ways based on Mikami's other game directions. Enjoying it. It's what I've expected.

I'm not liking it.

Controls are really bad, and so is the character's movement, traversing through the enviroment with sebastian is really cumbersome.

I'm thinking of bringing it back to the store as of now it's just been an unnerving experience for me.

Is the camera different on PS4? Feels totally fine on PC.

i have no idea, i'd assume it's the same but doesn't the pc come with fov options?
I know people will assume i'm crazy as your all enjoying the game without problems but i just couldn't understand how resi 6 camera get's torn to shreds when for me this one is just as bad, such a massive shame as this game seems to be exactly what i would love.

Two spoilers for the tone and a couple moments in the chapter 11 in particular (first spoiler is just tone of them, second spoiler includes gameplay moment descriptions).

Chapter 11 & 12
go in something like The Evil Within's version of the island in RE4, but it feels weirder in The Evil Within because of the rest of the game. There's sections that feel like they'd be right out of RE4's end game scenarios, but feel completely out of place almost with TEW. It's a complete tonal shift from the two chapters right before it, that are very horror heavy.

But that's not to say the whole chapter is like that, there's actually some really fun gameplay moments in that chapter that only happen in that chapter.
There's a swimming mechanic only used in chapter 11 in the whole game, and with that there's an underwater monster that can eat you in one gulp. Some really fun frantic moments of trying to get to land and distracting the monster as you move from haven to haven. And a moment where you can't shoot any guns as flammable gas is in the air, and have to make your way through a mannequin factory full of Haunted without being allowed to shoot a single bullet.

In the end I actually liked them, and think they'll be more fun to replay, but when I first was playing the chapters, I was thinking to myself, "Oh dear, this is really not what I want from this game." It does get back to it's business right after these, though.

Woah, I actually kinda like that, I REALLY need this game to get here (GameStop shipped my copy on release day instead of getting it to me on release)

°°ToMmY°°;134420822 said:
I'm not liking it.

Controls are really bad, and so is the character's movement, traversing through the enviroment with sebastian is really cumbersome.

I'm thinking of bringing it back to the store as of now it's just been an unnerving experience for me.

Have your ever played RE4??

Chapter 11 & 12

I was afraid the mannequin headed man in stylish tie was removed from the game..imagine my surprise when I find that there are two of them!!

Sanctuary

Yea, maybe Shinji Mikami realized how OP the shoot leg melee is and decided not to add that. But I'm kinda annoyed how even the stomp is nowhere near effective. Still can't help but feel like there were influences from the last of us in this game.

Not that it means anything, but a guy who holds some of the records for a few of the old school RE speed runs is raging about how much he didn't like this game and that it was just a "TLOU rip off". I wouldn't go that far, because it "rips off" just about everything horror releated under the sun. As long as the game is good I suppose originality shouldn't matter as much, but it still seems strange.

For me at least, the reason it feels so much like that game probably has more to do with the way I have played both. SlasherJPC even touches up on his thoughts about the similarities in his review, but for me it goes much further than that.

CoolZombie

I played about three hours last night, hated the first two chapters but once it got to the third one it has started to pick up and I'm enjoying it a lot more now.

Those damn black bars though 😔

°°ToMmY°°;134420822 said:
I'm not liking it.

Yeah, the controls are horrible. I don't understand why they didn't make the basic movement like in RE4.

Left Stick = Walk
Left Stick + Circle = Run
Left Stick + Circle + L1 = Sprint

I fucking hate this Left Stick = Walk+Runs controls. Mikami never used this before. Why the fuck does he starts now? I don't get it. It doesn't make any sense.

Lucent

Chapter 11 & 12

I had to take a peak at your spoilers even though I'm only on chapter
. I just had to know what was bad about it. I guess I'll see how I feel about it, but some of the parts you said were fun I'm sure I'll like. Also,
since you can't fire a gun, do the harpoon arrows count?
lol =p

So far I really like the atmosphere and the settings. The nurse and the save room feel like I'm in Silent Hill for some reason every time I visit that place.

The haunted feel a lot more rewarding to fight than the Ganado in RE4. A lot scarier, too. But I feel sort of conflicted. On one hand, I feel like Mikami does a good job with these types of enemies. On the other, I wish he came up with something different. I dunno what, just that having been anticipating the game so long, I had hoped there would be more to it. I mean I'm loving the game and feel that it's well worth my time and money, but I feel like it's not way way different from RE4 and that it sort of feels a bit stitched together. It'd help if the characters weren't so off. Sebastian hardly shows any emotion or reaction to what's going on. None of the characters seem to. I still don't understand why
everyone left Sebastian alone in that burning ambulance. I guess Joseph was probably dragged out by someone. Same with Juli. The doctor probably went looking for the kid.
Have no idea if that'll be answered later.

But yeah, those are my impressions so far. It's a solid 8.5 or so if I had to give it a number at the moment. Hopefully by the end of the game I'll be saying wow at everything. lol

Jacob4815

I've beaten the game. I have a lot to say, but will in upcoming posts. I will say this: Favorite chapters (in order of how they go and not favorite to least favorite or whatever) were chapters 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 15. The others were really good too, but these were the stand-out chapters for me for different reasons. My least favorite chapter was chapter 12, but even that wasn't bad, just okay.

Something I will say: You can tell this was a big passion project for them. The game is so full of ideas, it's almost ridiculous. They literally go in adding new things until the very end. This is in some ways a pro and a con, because it means that while one part of the game you might find absolutely amazing, another part may not strike well with you.

But an area the game succeeds in is that it really does have no filler, and for me at least even my least favorite moments of the game aren't terrible or anything, just ehhish to me, and I feel the game succeeds with me about 85% of the time. And the moments I love, I REALLY love, the game is fully of very fun scenarios from beginning to end. Some of my favorite moments aren't even in my favorite chapters listed above.

I'll come with a confession right now: I don't think this game is as tightly produced or as 'quality' as Resident Evil 4. It has more hank, more all-over-the-place focus, but it is an extremely tight and often creative and fun game that I think in the end I may actually like more than RE4. I'm not saying it's RE4-2 or A RE4 killer, but I think this game's best moments for me surpassed RE4 for me, which trust me, is an accomplishment. I think it had higher highs for me and lower lows than RE4, but overall I liked the surreal, darker, more survival tone of it more than it which hit strong in my strike zone.

Few more things I want to say right now I will say in separate posts.

What do you think about the story?

About to go into chapter 12 ready for anything at this point, but a man's gotta sleep, so I'll finish this epic when I wake!

Not that it means anything, but a guy who holds some of the records for a few of the old school RE speed runs is raging about how much he didn't like this game and that it was just a "TLOU rip off". I wouldn't go that far, because it "rips off" just about everything horror releated under the sun. As long as the game is good I suppose originality shouldn't matter as much, but it still seems strange.

For me at least, the reason it feels so much like that game probably has more to do with the way I have played both. SlasherJPC even touches up on his thoughts about the similarities in his review, but for me it goes much further than that.
Maybe because I'm not playing it like the last of us is the reason I don't get the parallels, I suck at throwing bottles to get attention so I just throw them at the enemies grill to get a free stealth kill, i feel this is a game that we are it's influences in its sleeve some of the advertisements pretty much wink amd nod at you..
Yeah, the controls are horrible. I don't understand why they didn't make the basic movement like in RE4.

Left Stick = Walk

I fucking hate this Left Stick = Walk+Runs controls. Mikami never used this before. Why the fuck does he starts now? I don't get it. It doesn't make any sense.
Ha ha ha ha

Did you actually play this game past the 2nd chapter? what you just typed is actually false.

drotahorror

Chapter 6 seems like a massive increase in difficulty for me. I might have died once or twice throughout all the other chapters but 6 is/was destroying me. I think I'm about to beat the chapter though. 6 is the chapter where you're
outside and it's daylight for the first time.

Have your ever played RE4??

This game does not control like resident evil 4.
it's nowhere near as smooth and accurate, it should control just as good but believe me it doesn't.

The controls aren't great though, but it has more to do with the weird animations. Not being able to see shit because of the fov doesn't help either.

I think this does play a huge part in the controls feeling off, his animations are at times very bad and the camera does no favours to help either

Left Stick = Walk

You hate that the analog stick has analog movement? That's a really weird complaint.

The controls aren't great though, but it has more to do with the weird animations. Not being able to see shit because of the fov doesn't help either.

I am enjoying the game more and more now that I've accepted that it's not another RE4. There are obviously similarities but this is more about taking it slowly and luring enemies. Trying to play it as an action game isn't going to work at all. I feel that it's closer to Forbidden Siren and Silent Hill than any Resident Evil.

Spookie

I can handle the shitty black bars, I can sort of handle the 30FPS when I'm playing this on my TV. But I can't handle the incredibly low FOV giving me motion sickness and the camera which appears to have been designed by a drunk with glaucoma. I literally can't play the game without wanting to bury my face in a pillow to stop the room spinning.

I can't do anything to fix this either can I? :(

It doesn't help like this game feels like the biggest nostalgic throw back to Japanese survival horror in the worst kind of way. I probably shouldn't have played this off the back of Alien Isolation. Ugh, well at least it was only £15!

Zampano

Biggest downer about this coming out is that we'll probably have to wait a few more years for more Mikami greatness. Vanquish x Godhand please.

-MD-

it should control just as good

No, it shouldn't. This game isn't RE4.

Biggest downer about this coming out is that we'll probably have to wait a few more years for more Mikami greatness. Vanquish x Godhand please.

I just hope he continues to want to direct games. He can take as long as he likes.

It's a horror game, I want to walk and check out the environment. And the last thin I want to do is to fiddle around with my left stick in order to do so.

I have no problem slow walking when I want to.

derFeef

I can handle the shitty black bars, I can sort of handle the 30FPS when I'm playing this on my TV. But I can't handle the incredibly low FOV giving me motion sickness and the camera which appears to have been designed by a drunk with glaucoma. I literally can't play the game without wanting to bury my face in a pillow to stop the room spinning.

I can't do anything to fix this either can I? :(

It doesn't help like this game feels like the biggest nostalgic throw back to Japanese survival horror in the worst kind of way. I probably shouldn't have played this off the back of Alien Isolation. Ugh, well at least it was only £15!

Try a different distance to your TV, maybe it helps.

No, it shouldn't. This game isn't RE4.

I'm not asking for resident evil 4, i'm asking for a game which controls and animates it's main character with same grace and passion as it has designed it's environments, the camera and fov is a big part in this but the basic movements are not as good as they should have been.

Is the reason you're not feeling the game because you wanted it to be RE4?

I can see why people would be disappointed as this is a much challenging, much unforgiving, focusing on horror/psychological horror more game but you know, I'm glad as fuck Mikami returned to atleast somewhere close to his roots lol. Sebastian feels like a vulnerable, fragile human being, plain and simple. Upgrading him has an affect on the gameplay but he'll never be like Leon the superhero. Even though this game mixes action in but by then it feels like a nice change because the majority of the game or infact even after the action-y parts, it returns to form focusing on survival/psychological horror. Where as in RE4 it was action all the way through save for a few small parts in the entire game.

EDIT: About the black bars, they were in RE4 as well but nobody seems to mention it for some reason. Gamecube/PS2 versions.Not that I love them or dislike them, I just don't mind them because I watch a ton of bluray movies.

resident-evil-4-imagen-i97048-i.jpg

A buddy of mine told me that it's fine to activate the fighting chance pack as it doesn't ruin the game or the survival horror experience. I wanted to ask here as well just for some extra opinions:
Would you guys recommend against activating the fighting chance pack?

The only substantial thing it gives you is a shotgun, and you can't use it until Chapter 3...where you can find the shotgun naturally a little later into it.

Pro tip for chapter 7.

Upgrade your stamina and gather plenty of freeze and explosive arrows for the crossbow

Also in that chapter it was the first time that i had framerate drops in a
boss battle

(PS4 version)

hal9001

Banned
Just completed Chapter 1.

Story: So far it's pretty interesting. I love the surreal blending and the stylistic nature in which the way it is told especially at the end of the chapter. You can already tell this will be a mindfuck.

Graphics: The black borders at the beginning took a little while to get used to but after a couple of minutes I barely even noticed them. I think they really help to add to the immersion and is useful looking around corners. The graphics look so much better than some of the screenshots and footage would suggest. While it may not be the poster child for next gen it still holds it's own and the lighting in particular is some of the most atmospheric and best I have seen. Also the character models look amazing.

Gameplay: Not enough time spent to tell but so fat the movement feels smooth. The game is more akin to The Last of Us stealth in terms of sneaking and with a dash of a few action set pieces along the way.

Hopefully there is more to come and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the game continues to surprise from further here.

So finally got my PS4 copy and apparently it contains a code for ''the fighting chance pack''. Do I even want to redeem it? Does it affect the balance too much? Is the gun exclusive to the pack?

I kinda hate bonuses like this especially on survival horror games. TLOU did the same shit, no?

So finally got my PS4 copy and apparently it contains a code for ''the fighting chance pack''. Do I even want to redeem it? Does it affect the balance too much? Is the gun exclusive to the pack?

I kinda hate bonuses like this especially on survival horror games. TLOU did the same shit, no?

No.

Is the reason you're not feeling the game because you wanted it to be RE4?

No, the reasons i'm not feeling it is cause controlling the character is a chore. I'm not discussing level design, enemy ai as of yet cause i'm still early in the game, but jesus if it bothers me simply managing to traverse the enviroment. It feels like i'm controlling heavy machinery, not a police detective with two feet and legs.

Top Bottom