• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

artsi

EDIT: About the black bars, they were in RE4 as well but nobody seems to mention it for some reason. Gamecube/PS2 versions.Not that I love them or dislike them, I just don't mind them because I watch a ton of bluray movies.

Maybe it's because on a 4:3 screen (that we used back then) the RE4 black bars effectively changed the screen to a 16:9 widescreen (that we're currently using), but going even wider sacrifices a bit too much vertical space.

See here, the blue one is RE4 and green one is TEW:

HiiI5rT.png

Maybe it's because on a 4:3 screen (that we used back then) the RE4 black bars effectively changed the screen to a 16:9 widescreen (that we're currently using), but going even wider sacrifices a bit too much vertical space.

See here, the blue one is RE4 and green one is TEW:

HiiI5rT.png

Yeah, not in disagreement here but just pointing it out. Black bars don't bother me but I can see how it can bother other people. Heck, I got the game and I didn't even know about the black bars lol.

I can only guess that the people surprised and/or disappointed by this turning into an action game did not play RE4. This was never going to be a full on stealth game and I'm glad for it. It makes perfect sense to start you out with very limited resources and survivability going for some stealth takedowns here and there and then gradually upping the action until you can hold your own with tougher and more numerous groups. The action is great and very intense, and they still have not yet in my playthrough given enough resources to ever be fully comfortable which is exactly what I wanted from this game as a RE4-style survival action game.

EDIT: About the black bars, they were in RE4 as well but nobody seems to mention it for some reason. Gamecube/PS2 versions.Not that I love them or dislike them, I just don't mind them because I watch a ton of bluray movies.

It's not about the letterboxing. The difference is that TEW's camera is sometimes less an "over the shoulder" view as it is an "ON the shoulder" view. The fact that there's less headroom on the screen due to the aspect ratio combined with the camera being level to Sebastian's shoulders AND extremely tight AND offset without a way for the player to manually control the right/left side switches AND zooms into the gun when aiming (rather than over the shoulder) AND has a small FoV can make it feel very cramped and wonky. This is on top on his animations which, quite frankly, aren't that great, leading to some spastic movement at times.

Look at some RE4 footage. Look at Leon's placement on screen while running. Look at the smooth zoom in when aiming. Look at how the camera is high and slightly angled down. Look at how it smartly adapts to different slopes and rooms on the fly. Look at Leon's deliberate, smooth, fluid animations. Now go look at The Order 1886 gameplay to see those things brought into a 2.35:1 aspect ratio without being cramped like TEW is.

°°ToMmY°°;134423477 said:
No, the reasons i'm not feeling it is cause controlling the character is a chore. I'm not discussing level design, enemy ai as of yet cause i'm still early in the game, but jesus if it bothers me simply managing to traverse the enviroment. It feels like i'm controlling heavy machinery, not a police detective with two feet and legs.

I'm the same boat as you, but apparently everyone else on this forum assumes we both just wanted resident evil 4.2 when that's actually not what i want at all.
All i'm asking for is when the main character doesn't control great and doesn't have the most fluid animations you best have a decent camera, this games camera and fov works against an already flawed control system and some questionable animations.
everything else about the game is magnificent but it's all ruined by this for me.

Mohonky

So whats the verdict with this game as someone that loved RE4?

I understand that it is less combat heavy as RE4 and includes stealth one hit kills etc (I love this though). It looks like a sort of a cross between an older Splinter Cell (xbox versions) title with the stalking about in stealth and some RE4 style shooting elements thrown in with horror.

Good / Bad / So so?

Sanctuary

Chapter 6 seems like a massive increase in difficulty for me. I might have died once or twice throughout all the other chapters but 6 is/was destroying me. I think I'm about to beat the chapter though. 6 is the chapter where you're
outside and it's daylight for the first time.

Have fun with
the end of that chapter ;)

This game does not control like resident evil 4.
it's nowhere near as smooth and accurate, it should control just as good but believe me it doesn't.

Nope, not even close. It often feels like you're stuck with the tank controls of RE5/Dead Space which is okay by itself, but the enemy speed feels like it's almost RE4 levels. Leon was sped up to match them, in this game you're slower than the enemies (combat, not running) and the fucking awful pistol aim doesn't help after you try to get one or two shots off at their head (you don't start out with a 50% critical chance). It then turns into blasting with the shotgun or
bolts
, or turning around and running to get a leg shot so you can burn them. Once an enemy is right up on you, the pistol is worthless aside from body shots.

And I agree that Sebastian feels like he's wearing some extra heavy-duty ankle weights on Jupiter. Which is pretty strange when you consider the extra "spring" in his step.

°°ToMmY°°;134423477 said:
No, the reasons i'm not feeling it is cause controlling the character is a chore. I'm not discussing level design, enemy ai as of yet cause i'm still early in the game, but jesus if it bothers me simply managing to traverse the enviroment. It feels like i'm controlling heavy machinery, not a police detective with two feet and legs.

I agree. It's all feeling too loose right now. I know some of it is there to add tension but it feels excessive..

My biggest issue is with the camera. I don't mind the black bars, but the camera seems like it's super sensitive at times, then laggy and unresponsive at others. I haven't messed with the options too much yet though so maybe I can adjust that.

Other than those two things, after an 1 1/2 hours, I am really digging the atmosphere, tension and pacing. I have no idea what is going on, but it's cool nonetheless.

It's not about the letterboxing. The difference is that TEW's camera is sometimes less an "over the shoulder" view as it is an "ON the shoulder" view. The fact that there's less headroom on the screen due to the aspect ratio combined with the camera being level to Sebastian's shoulders AND extremely tight AND offset without a way for the player to manually control the right/left side switches AND zooms into the gun when aiming (rather than over the shoulder) can make it feel very cramped and wonky. This is on top on his animations where, quite frankly, aren't that great.

Look at some RE4 footage. Look at Leon's placement on screen while running. Look at the smooth zoom in when aiming. Look at how the camera is high and slightly angled down. Look at how it smartly adapts to different slopes and rooms on the fly. Now go look at The Order 1886 gameplay to see those aspects brought into a 2.35:1 aspect ratio without being cramped like TEW is.

Yeah, I know what you're talking about and I see where people who find a problem with this are coming from but honestly after chapter 3, everything clicked with me pretty quickly and I maintained that grasp over the game for good. Maybe because I played alot of survival horrors that's why things clicked quick for me,none of them had perfect something in them, there is always something that is combating the player or adding to the tension on the player. The average player of today would rip Silent Hill games and classic RE games if he played them because of "fixed cameras, tank controls, slow movements, melee don't do shit.etc.etc" much like there are people who rip on classic Tomb Raider games because of precise tank controls but anyways, at the end of the day you can't please everyone and whenever they decide to patch this or whatever, some players will move on to the next thing to complain about which I don't mind but you get the picture.

Halfway through chapter 11 now and things have gone bat shit mindfuck insane. Apparently this is nothing yet lol. Can't wait to continue through. Total playtime is 12 hours and 48 minutes so far which is astounding for a TPS survival horror game and I have 4 chapters left.

Facism

I have issues with the gameplay in TLoU but I love the RE series since iteration 1 and I loved ZombiU

Will I like this???

no. TLoU controls much, much better than this game. This has a combo of crap FOV, 'worse-than-uncharted 3' aiming and some sluggish movement.

I still think it's brilliant, though :)

So whats the verdict with this game as someone that loved RE4?

I understand that it is less combat heavy as RE4 and includes stealth one hit kills etc (I love this though). It looks like a sort of a cross between an older Splinter Cell (xbox versions) title with the stalking about in stealth and some RE4 style shooting elements thrown in with horror.

Good / Bad / So so?

If you love RE4 you should play this game. It's so fascinating to see what Mikami came up with by revisiting that style of game play, but without being shackled by the batshit RE lore that he helped create. Mostly he just creates new batshit lore. Plus it steals from every horror game ever in a way that actually manages to elevate the game into being a weird pastiche.

Scoot2005

Banned
Chapter 3
Can I shoot the chains off this asshole in the barn and have him wreck some shit while I hide or is he just there to be unleashed on me?

Xpliskin

Yes, that's an unanimous negative point imo:

-character animations aren't up to Capcom standards
-controls could have been much better

They're not super bad, but it could have been a lot better.

Don't you talk about that art though.
This will be Tango's trademark.

Chapter 3
Can I shoot the chains off this asshole in the barn and have him wreck some shit while I hide or is he just there to be unleashed on me?

That I didn't try but I read from other members you could damage the fuck out of him while he is changed so when he is unleashed on you and you'll know why, you can kill him quick lol.

Hagi

Question for those who have done chapter 4
i just killed that doctors brother and according to an X-ray there is a key inside the corpse on the table but when i go to cut him open for some reason nothing happens Sebastien just holds the knife over him but I can't actually cut him open.
Maybe I'm missing something.

i just killed that doctors brother and according to an X-ray there is a key inside the corpse on the table but when i go to cut him open for some reason nothing happens Sebastien just holds the knife over him but I can't actually cut him open.

Are you aiming Sebastian's hand right over where the key was in the x-ray?

LifeLike

So are there freezing glitches that are common on ps4 or something? Just froze 5 times while grabbing the keys at the very start of chapter 1 and then froze again after I got killed messing around trying to make it so it wouldn't freeze a sixth time.

Pretty poor first impression, ended up just closing the game out of frustration.

For me it happened at the menu, wasnt able to select anything. It happens everytime I'm saving. This game is obviously not ready for retail. Framerate is horrible.

Stuck on the chapter 10 boss any tips?

This is ironically so far my favorite boss in the game because of one thing only
Do your best to get him into his second form where everything is purple and he is all red in the middle. By then you can just casually run abit every few seconds and get a feel of his pattern, he'd come running then pause for a second or two to jump for a bite. Basically that's all what he'll do till you will kill him so as soon as you get him to the second form the better. At the same time you'll be able to look for ammo this way. He has a pattern that when mastered, will be easy as shit.

Chapter 11 looks incredible, this really is a nice looking game overall and suffers almost none of the typical Idtech 5 texture compression woes. I mean, I'm sure people can find some bad areas but it's never been noticable for me in the way it was in Rage and Wolfenstein. I mean walls don't match Ryse but they don't look like compressed jpgs either. Combined with the dynamic lighting, great shadows, and physics enabled objects it really is impressive at times. Am playing at 3200x1800 though, IQ at 1080P is about as awful as you'd expect from Wolfenstein.

And I got the chapter 10 boss on my second try, didn't even get phrased by the second stage and killed him/her within ten seconds of it starting.

Jinjo

Normal enemy spoiler (chapter 3 onwards):

Goddamn invisible enemies really?! Come on man, that shit is just unfair. Anyone got a good way to spot/deal with them aside from firing your weapon blindly in open space when you think you know where he is and hope you hit him? Game tells me I can spot their footprints in puddles, but there are no goddamn puddles in this place.

Xpliskin

Goddamn invisible enemies really?! Come on man, that shit is just unfair. Anyone got a good way to spot/deal with them aside from firing your weapon blindly in open space when you think you know where he is and hope you hit him? Game tells me I can spot their footprints in puddles, but there are no goddamn puddles in this place.

I'm glad I didn't watch any trailers/was on a blackout.

Those enemies scared the shit out of me the first time.

LOOL.
I feel your pain. Well, use the medical equipments in your surroundings to help you identify where they are when they bump into them. Flash bolts when shot to the ground can stun and expose them for a few seconds. Shotgun to the face helps as well.

faridmon

Just aim at the top part of the chest, until you get the button prompt.

-character animations aren't up to Capcom standards

If i played the same resident evil 6 as you did i would have to agree with your on this point.
sounds impossible but at this point i would have to put this camera and character animations on a scale below resi 6 which i didn't think was ever going to be possible.

Sanctuary

The latter lol.

I actually had that guy glitch the fuck out on me during my first attempt.
I was running up and around ladders and then outside, trying to find a good spot to shoot and he despawned through the floor, and his treasure chest appeared while the battle music continued.

Then I wondered if I was actually supposed to
fight him near the chain you're supposed to cut so that he cuts it instead. I thought you were supposed to kill him and grab his chainsaw, but the bug made me reconsider.

BTW, I didn't read all of this thread so I'm not sure who "lied" about what, but you can either
shoot him in the head once or just throw a bottle at him to set him free.

Jinjo

Can you just drop them because I don't have the crossbow yet?

Explore some more or if you wanna know:
It's in the building next to the barn/near the exit if I remember correctly.

LOOL.
I feel your pain. Well, use the medical equipments in your surroundings to help you identify where they are when they bump into them. Flash bolts when shot to the ground can stun and expose them for a few seconds. Shotgun to the face helps as well.

Yeah medical equipment helps a bit, but usually I just end up going in straight up panic mode and shoot blindly lol. So basicly there is no reliable strategy?

I'm glad I didn't watch any trailers/was on a blackout.

Those enemies scared the shit out of me the first time.

I know man, didn't even know about this shit. This is not what I signed up for lol.

Yeah medical equipment helps a big, but usually I just end up going in straight up panic mode and shoot blindly lol. So basicly there is no reliable strategy?

Well, the method I used was stun them with the light/stun arrow basically whenever I see someone coming at me I just shoot the ground then it'll reveal where one is and then do what you want with it lol

Lernaean

Banned
I figured,
Do at least get to kill this fucker for cutting meh leeeeegggg?

I will be doing this.

Don't do this. Do it regularly.
If you want to know the amount of damage needed, read the spoiler.
I did one shotgun shot on him and three explosive bolts, so it's not like his HP is massive.
Have fun ;)

tonypark

Still early in the game but i can say that... Despite technical issues, icups and weird decisions... to me it all comes down to 2 things. Am i having fun? I am looking forward to play again? Yes and yes! Worth the 62$!

Top Bottom