• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Hagi

Game feels dated, is boring, story sucks.

Don't understand what's the point of this game existing.

What's the point of any game existing.

The idea is fine
There is an X-ray machine which tells you where the key is exactly
but the fact that there is a button prompt ruins the whole thing.

Yeah i kept hovering over the bottom right like the X-ray lol

Chapter 4 spoiler
what the fuck at the transporting four armed blood women lol smashed my head into mush in about two seconds. She's not the new chainsaw guy is she?

Sanctuary

Chapter 4 spoiler
what the fuck at the transporting four armed blood women lol smashed my head into mush in about two seconds. She's not the new chainsaw guy is she?

Kind of, but not really. Just another enemy that you'll face from time to time, until you don't.
She's actually a hell of a lot easier to take down compared to the Mr. Massacre.

This game sucks. The frame rate blows and movement feels soooooo sloooow. Also, the accuracy is the worst that I've ever played in a game. I've shot plenty of times within 2 yards of an enemy with the sights on their face and the shot will miss. What is up with that? I see a lot of "it's like RE4" but only on the most generic and surface levels of similarity - this game is not like RE4 where it needs to be.

Sanctuary

This game sucks. The frame rate blows and movement feels soooooo sloooow. Also, the accuracy is the worst that I've ever played in a game. I've shot plenty of times within 2 yards of an enemy with the sights on their face and the shot will miss. What is up with that? I see a lot of "it's like RE4" but only on the most generic and surface levels of similarity - this game is not like RE4 where it needs to be.

It's not. As far as the aiming and bullets seemingly phasing through their heads, at first I thought it was just me missing or them veering off to the side at the last second. Sometimes it is, but it does seem like bullets happen to pass through them at times.

So upgrade your accuracy?

lol?

Have you upgraded accuracy? It doesn't really do much aside from stop reticle sway.

Hagi

Kind of, but not really. Just another enemy that you'll face from time to time, until you don't.
She's actually a hell of a lot easier to take down compared to the Mr. Massacre.

Maybe it's just the small room coupled with her erratic movemen. I had a much easier time with the other guy.

-MD-

It's not. As far as the aiming and bullets seemingly phasing through their heads, at first I thought it was just me missing or them veering off to the side at the last second. Sometimes it is, but it does seem like bullets happen to pass through them at times.

If you stand still you should rarely if ever miss, only when you're moving is when accuracy gets wild.

Love all the people funneling into the thread complaining that this isn't a carbon copy of RE4. Go play RE4.

Have you upgraded accuracy? It doesn't really do much aside from stop reticle sway.

Stand still and be amazed.

Sanctuary

Maybe it's just the small room coupled with her erratic movemen. I had a much easier time with the other guy.

HEAVY SPOILER here...

You don't kill her during your first encounter

If you stand still you should rarely if ever miss, only when you're moving is when accuracy gets wild.

Love all the people funneling into the thread complaining that this isn't a carbon copy of RE4. Go play RE4.

Stand still and be amazed.

The thing is, Mikami changed the forumla for a reason. Why regress? You can still have a "real" Survival Horror game without the downsides. And stop being ridiculous. I know how to shoot.
FWIW, I already finished the game.

Xpliskin

Someone sucks at counter-strike.

-MD-

The thing is, Mikami changed the forumla for a reason. Why regress? You can still have a "real" Survival Horror game without the downsides.

How is it a downside? You're punished for staying mobile, rewarded for taking the risk of standing still.

I like it.

This is ironically so far my favorite boss in the game because of one thing only
Do your best to get him into his second form where everything is purple and he is all red in the middle. By then you can just casually run abit every few seconds and get a feel of his pattern, he'd come running then pause for a second or two to jump for a bite. Basically that's all what he'll do till you will kill him so as soon as you get him to the second form the better. At the same time you'll be able to look for ammo this way. He has a pattern that when mastered, will be easy as shit.
Thanks a ton just beat it :)

Jobbs

Banned
Chapter 3 stuff: this is how I eventually killed this guy after a number of stupid deaths and experimenting thinking I needed to
make him swing at me and hit the chain instead
. Did anyone else think they needed to do that?

I was curious, though, if there's any other way to kill him than that? I noticed the
shotgun knocks him over, but I didn't have enough ammo to figure out if it actually could kill him.

Sanctuary

Someone sucks at counter-strike.

With a control pad yes, not with a mouse/keyboard that I'm not using to play this.

Again, I'll return with saying if people never played or don't usually play classic survival horror games will never understand.

And for those that do and have? What then?

How is it a downside? You're punished for staying mobile, rewarded for taking the risk of standing still.

I like it.

I still don't know what the hell you're trying to say. I don't even try to "run and gun". The controls are "fine". It's the camera zooming like I have binocular eyes that ruins everything when I'm ten feet away from an enemy.

Xpliskin

I like it.

Again, I'll return with saying if people never played or don't usually play classic survival horror games will never understand.

I'm getting this feeling as well.

Some design choices old-school fans get instantly and are in heaven.
Other players view them as crippling/bad.

It's similar to ballet, it's boring if you don't understand the nuances (not my words).

Chapter 3 stuff: this is how I eventually killed this guy after a number of stupid deaths and experimenting thinking I needed to

I was curious, though, if there's any other way to kill him than that? I noticed the
shotgun knocks him over, but I didn't have enough ammo to figure out if it actually could kill him.

I used 4-5
explosive arrows on him
and boom the trophy popped

Dat boss walk at the end lol. Yeah, other members on here killed him this way also. As for me,
I used the crossbow on him mixed harpoon and explosve with a few shots from the shotgun as well as revolver. Focusing of course mostly in the head, I killed him in the barn lol.

Jobbs

Banned
I used 4-5
explosive arrows on him
and boom the trophy popped

Dat boss walk at the end lol. Yeah, other members on here killed him this way also. As for me,
I used the crossbow on him mixed harpoon and explosve with a few shots from the shotgun as well as revolver. Focusing of course mostly in the head, I killed him in the barn lol.

I had no idea you could even get the crossbow in this chapter. I got it in the next chapter. where was it?

Hagi

HEAVY SPOILER here...

You don't kill her during your first encounter

Yeah I just realised this.
got into the lift to a big sigh of relief only for the doors to open at the bottom and she appears, shit myself lol

Love this game <3

-MD-

I still don't know what the hell you're trying to say. I don't even try to "run and gun". The controls are "fine". It's the camera zooming like I have binocular eyes that ruins everything when I'm ten feet away from an enemy.

Yeah I don't understand your complaint, what does the zoom ruin?

And for those that do and have? What then?

Then I'd be surprised to hear such complaints when such classics like RE 1 - Code Veronica, Silent Hill 1 - 4, Fetal Frame series, Alone in the dark 1 - The new nightmare.etc all had instances of slow movements or the character feeling heavy, melee attacks that won't save you at the end of the day, tank controls, fixed camera angles, grandma stamina and aim that will only get better when the player is methodical, patient and quick on his toes going from one place to the next, stopping, aiming, shooting, rinse and repeat. This game makes it even easier by allowing you to upgrade the fuck out of Seb's weapons and himself as a character which affects the gameplay. Infact, there is an achievement/trophy/whatever in the game to finish it without upgrading anything lol.

The only complaints that I agree with even though they don't bother me is the camera being zoomed in up the ass which didn't need be, Black Bars. Inconsistent framerate. Some of the dull voice acting/dialogue but then again it was never Mikami's strongest suite.

Two spoilers for the tone and a couple moments in the chapter 11 in particular (first spoiler is just tone of them, second spoiler includes gameplay moment descriptions).

Chapter 11 & 12
go in something like The Evil Within's version of the island in RE4, but it feels weirder in The Evil Within because of the rest of the game. There's sections that feel like they'd be right out of RE4's end game scenarios, but feel completely out of place almost with TEW. It's a complete tonal shift from the two chapters right before it, that are very horror heavy.

But that's not to say the whole chapter is like that, there's actually some really fun gameplay moments in that chapter that only happen in that chapter.
There's a swimming mechanic only used in chapter 11 in the whole game, and with that there's an underwater monster that can eat you in one gulp. Some really fun frantic moments of trying to get to land and distracting the monster as you move from haven to haven. And a moment where you can't shoot any guns as flammable gas is in the air, and have to make your way through a mannequin factory full of Haunted without being allowed to shoot a single bullet.

In the end I actually liked them, and think they'll be more fun to replay, but when I first was playing the chapters, I was thinking to myself, "Oh dear, this is really not what I want from this game." It does get back to it's business right after these, though.
This is exactly what I was referring to in my review and post. It changes yet it doesn't totally alienate there horror stuff. Also I accidentally fired a shot in that one section. The resulting cutscene had me dying in laughter. Lol

Also did anyone actually kill the
dog
? The remark Sebastion made killed me. So unexpected.

Sanctuary

I'm getting this feeling as well.

Some design choices old-school fans get instantly and are in heaven.
Other players view them as crippling/bad.

It's similar to ballet, it's boring if you don't understand the nuances (not my words).

I'm not sure it's that simple. I don't have any issues with most of the gameplay except the gunplay (which is pretty important), which doesn't match the speed of the enemies. It was "tank like" in all of the older RE games--protagonists still progressively became more agile each new iteration though--but most enemies kind of just shuffled around aside from the few speedier kinds.

Even then it didn't really matter because of the way the perspective was in regards to firing. This game wants to be a TPS but the zoom makes it feel closer to a FPS and it controls like shit. I can understand wanting to make the player feel claustrophobic, but relying on a bad combination of view and slugglish controls for tension isn't good at all. This is the first X/horror anything where I've felt like the protagonist was not actually balanced around the enemies. It just feels so very off. Which is mind-boggling considering who directed it. You also had a very easy backup way to finish off enemies in those games too if you were out of ammo. You don't in this.

KDC720

Got to chapter 4 last night. I've only had one significant framerate hiccup (X1), but needless to say I'm enjoying it a lot. My one complaint is that its maybe a bit too easy to abuse bottles and steatlh kills, but I've heard stealth is less necessary later on so it's really only a small nitpick.

EDIT: Also, Sebastian seems awfully mellow about his whole situation, its not a dealbreaker or anything, just odd seeing him nonchalantly shrug off all the messed up stuff like its no big deal.

psychotron

What are the purpose of the bottles? Same as TLOU? Distract or hit in the face and pummel? I was trying to get a handle on the controls last night and was having some difficulty. Part of it was adjusting to the bars, which are causing me to move the camera more than I normally would in a game to see things above or below.

The part right in the beginning with the chainsaw nutcase was a real pain in the ass for me. He kept spotting me and tearing me up. I was able to get in the back where you get the glass bottle, then I threw it in the other room, but he didn't go to check it out. It was very hard to plan an exit strategy because the back area where he was moving back and forth was pitch black. I eventually went for it and got lucky. He spotted me but I got to the door before he could get me.

DukeBobby

I love the death animations, but they can be a bit random at times.

The
big dog
in chapter 6 nudged me slightly, and I fell into pieces.

Basically what I did as well.
Got him with two explosive bolts, and then would use a flash bolt to stun him and get him up close with as many shotgun blasts as I could. Eventually he went down, though it was just outside the barn... ;)

I actually have a question about opening those item chests, for anyone who paid more attention than I did. I kinda skipped over the tutorial that popped up the first time I opened one...
if there's a bomb in the lid, is there any way to defuse it or do you just have to let that chest go once you notice it's there?

Sanctuary

Basically what I did as well.
Got him with two explosive bolts, and then would use a flash bolt to stun him and get him up close with as many shotgun blasts as I could. Eventually he went down, though it was just outside the barn... ;)

I actually have a question about opening those item chests, for anyone who paid more attention than I did. I kinda skipped over the tutorial that popped up the first time I opened one...
if there's a bomb in the lid, is there any way to defuse it or do you just have to let that chest go once you notice it's there?

Yes.
use the stealth crouch to slowly open it half way, then let the lid close and defuse it like you would any trap.

Game feels dated, is boring, story sucks.

Don't understand what's the point of this game existing.

I can agree with you. I'm in Chapter 4 now and the game does feel like early stuff from PS3/360 and the framerate is bad. Textures take time to show up sometimes and the camera is kinda hard to control and is way too close to the character. Sometimes, i can't even see what i'm doing because of the camera work... The game as of now is 7-7.5/10 to me.

But with all that negativity, the game still is fun to me, i love that cheesy style of Mikami, love the puzzles and the gunplay is fun !

Just finished chapter 4 (I only get about 2ish hours a day to game) and was hoping for a soild good 7.5 experience and have been pleasantly surprised by a personal 8-8.5 classic feeling horror game so far. I could see my score going a little higher if environments get as crazy and creative as people seem to imply and if the story concludes strongly. Not a bad way to spend my October^^

You have to open the chest slowly but at the same time leave the leaving the button for Seb to close the chest so each time try raising the lid higher and leave your finger till you will hear a click nose and it'll tell you to hold X (assuming you're playing the PS4 version) which means you can disarm the trap much like the other traps(excluding the bomb) in the game.

Not that it means anything, but a guy who holds some of the records for a few of the old school RE speed runs is raging about how much he didn't like this game and that it was just a "TLOU rip off". I wouldn't go that far, because it "rips off" just about everything horror releated under the sun. As long as the game is good I suppose originality shouldn't matter as much, but it still seems strange.

For me at least, the reason it feels so much like that game probably has more to do with the way I have played both. SlasherJPC even touches up on his thoughts about the similarities in his review, but for me it goes much further than that.

True that, I really like the mystery and charm behind the setting and characters. Especially the nurse you encounter, she's somehow the best thing since the merchant from re 4

Yes.
use the stealth crouch to slowly open it half way, then let the lid close and defuse it like you would any trap.

You have to open the chest slowly but at the same time leave the leaving the button for Seb to close the chest so each time try raising the lid higher and leave your finger till you will hear a click nose and it'll tell you to hold X (assuming you're playing the PS4 version) which means you can disarm the trap much like the other traps(excluding the bomb) in the game.
Thanks!
I could have sworn I disarmed the first one, but I didn't quite catch what I did to do it, haha. So I've been spooked ever since I got blown up the next time I opened one (though I think I only passed on one chest as a result...it probably only would have had shotgun ammo I couldn't carry...probably...)

Xpliskin

I'm not sure it's that simple. I don't have any issues with most of the gameplay except the gunplay (which is pretty important), which doesn't match the speed of the enemies. It was "tank like" in all of the older RE games--protagonists still progressively became more agile each new iteration though--but most enemies kind of just shuffled around aside from the few speedier kinds.

Even then it didn't really matter because of the way the perspective was in regards to firing. This game wants to be a TPS but the zoom makes it feel closer to a FPS and it controls like shit. I can understand wanting to make the player feel claustrophobic, but relying on a bad combination of view and slugglish controls for tension isn't good at all. This is the first X/horror anything where I've felt like the protagonist was not actually balanced around the enemies. It just feels so very off. Which is mind-boggling considering who directed it. You also had a very easy backup way to finish off enemies in those games too if you were out of ammo. You don't in this.

The "zooming" is intended.
"The player wants to aim, let's go all to way to a FPS (half-life ish) perspective)"
It's the first game that does it (besides devil's Third who goes further).
It was a risk that people wouldn't like it.
Personally it helps me aim better as I don't have a character taking up space screen.

As of "very easy backup way to finish off".
That's missing the point of the game entirely, sorry.

It sounds to me you have aiming issues. Did you record/stream anything I can watch ?
There's a "auto-aim" option in the start menu you can turn on.
The reticle "attaches" itself to the enemies.

Basically what I did as well. [

I actually have a question about opening those item chests, for anyone who paid more attention than I did. I kinda skipped over the tutorial that popped up the first time I opened one

You can read all tutorials in Pause Menu -> Tutorials

edit: removed spoilier material *phew*

So am I getting this or not Gaf?

Impressions seem mixed both here and in reviews. I am a big RE4 fan.

Also PS4 or Xbox One? Digital Foundry has nothing yet and Eurogamer doesn't even have a review for whatever reason. PS4 framerate is lower and it has some hitching issues? Is this correct? Xbox One does not have these issues?

It would be the first multiplatform game I buy for Xbox One.

Alec

I can agree with you. I'm in Chapter 4 now and the game does feel like early stuff from PS3/360 and the framerate is bad. Textures take time to show up sometimes and the camera is kinda hard to control and is way too close to the character. Sometimes, i can't even see what i'm doing because of the camera work... The game as of now is 7-7.5/10 to me.

But with all that negativity, the game still is fun to me, i love that cheesy style of Mikami, love the puzzles and the gunplay is fun !

I'm with you. Just finished Chapter 5 and I'm still waiting for something cool to happen. The camera is infuriating and I'm not unnerved by anything that is going on. PT spoiled me in that regard, I guess.

Top Bottom