• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

True that, I really like the mystery and charm behind the setting and characters. Especially the nurse you encounter, she's somehow the best thing since the merchant from re 4

The fascinating thing about the game is it sort of takes some of the old, and mixes it with the new. People tend to get upset because it doesn't hold their hand constantly, and if they play it like a action game (especially from the start) they find themselves with no ammo, and just hating the experience. The game takes on three tonal shifts imo.

Chapters
1 - 4, have this heavy stealth, taking your time, exploring, slower pace, etc. Very atmospheric and scary in that regard with some tension due to encounters and bosses.

Chapters
5 -10, up the intensity a bit, action get's more in your face, the horror elements really get pushed in your face from running away, to dealing with bosses, to just feeling overwhelmed. Some real terror moments begin and the action really comes into it's satisfying own.

Chapters
11 -15, take on this more bright, urban setting, more enemies and now with guns, a sense of urgency to get to the end/goal, while still throwing in plenty of "oh shit" horror moments that remind you this isn't The Last of Us persay Including a few over the top moments, but still very grounded in a lot of ways compared to other games.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the story. I get it but some details I would love to discuss with Dusk and others to clear things up.

I really don't understand the dated complaints, I mean you can't throw yourself around like in Resident Evil 6 but you have free movement, can sneak around and create distractions, sprint at will, and so on. Has all the features of a modern action game and controls well. You are faster than every enemy in the game while sprinting so you have plenty of opportunity to gain distance, although managing your sprint is important early on. Hit reactions are great, with pieces of their face breaking off in different ways when you don't get a crit. It just feels great to me, and the bosses up to this point have been pretty diverse.

Melee is pretty useful when you upgrade the damage. Is never a focus point like in RE4/5/6 but it's good for finishing off enemies. Also useful in that it will interrupt attacks and sometimes knock enemies to the ground. If you get cornered by a group you can melee and run through them while they're staggered. One on one it's my preferred way of taking out enemies to save ammo, and there are certain types later on that it's very useful against.

I guess it's dated in the sense that you aren't running around willy nilly while explosions go off all around you and you crouch dance your way through bullets but there are no real control issues.
Get good?

v0rtikal

I don't want to know anything about the game itself, but I REALLY need to know about how it performs on PC.. solid version or a bad port?

I don't want to know anything about the game itself, but I REALLY need to know about how it performs on PC.. solid version or a bad port?
If you want 60 FPS the framerate is very inconsistent and will sputter about. If you stay locked at 30 though it seems well optimized. I have a 780Ti and I never drop below 30 FPS at 3200x1800 with every setting at max and SMAA. Great mouse and keyboard controls, rebindable keys(with double input option), and onscreen prompts change depending on your custom bindings. It's pretty good!

Edit: And the 4GB video memory requirement was complete nonsense and I have no idea why Beth said that. Created absolute hysteria and bad mojo around the port when it's just.....not true at all.

Sanctuary

As of "very easy backup way to finish off".
That's missing the point of the game entirely, sorry.

This is such a half-assed and not well thought out rebuttal. You're arguing that the game is so great and that "specific people just won't get it" because of how much it supposedly plays like an old-school SH, yet it's missing a crucial element that all of them had.

The most ridiculous thing of all is that
He has a fucking knife on him from the start of the game!

The main thing about conserving ammo in this game is that they supply you with more than enough, but you don't know until later that you should have upgraded
your stock
sooner rather than later. If I were to start over from scratch knowing how things were going to pan out (unlike literally every other game like this that I've played), I would have just ignored everything but
early stock upgrades in every weapon and matches to 10.

Ugh i wanted the whole pre-load, playing at midnight experience. So I bought digital. Then i go to best buy, and see the awesome retail copy with the lenticular slip cover. I WANT THE RETAIL COPY! Too late now! Should i feel bad, gaf?

But yeah,
I killed the chainsaw guy with just guns. I didn't lead him into any of the traps.

Getting 1080p and a solid 30fps is not nearly as hardware intensive as the original specs Bethesda posted: 4GB VRAM, etc.

Getting a solid 60fps seems to be a different matter entirely, unless you have a high-end GPU/CPU. If you're fine with 30fps the port is acceptable.

Ugh i wanted the whole pre-load, playing at midnight experience. So I bought digital. Then i go to best buy, and see the awesome retail copy with the lenticular slip cover. I WANT THE RETAIL COPY! Too late now! Should i feel bad, gaf?

But yeah,
I killed the chainsaw guy with just guns. I didn't lead him into any of the traps.

I preloaded the game and then forgot when it came out.

I preloaded the game and then forgot when it came out.

image.php

Alec

I really don't understand the dated complaints, I mean you can't throw yourself around like in Resident Evil 6 but you have free movement, can sneak around and create distractions, sprint at will, and so on. Has all the features of a modern action game and controls well. You are faster than every enemy in the game while sprinting so you have plenty of opportunity to gain distance, although managing your sprint is important early on. Hit reactions are great, with pieces of their face breaking off in different ways when you don't get a crit. It just feels great to me, and the bosses up to this point have been pretty diverse.

Melee is pretty useful when you upgrade the damage. Is never a focus point like in RE4/5/6 but it's good for finishing off enemies. Also useful in that it will interrupt attacks and sometimes knock enemies to the ground. If you get cornered by a group you can melee and run through them while they're staggered. One on one it's my preferred way of taking out enemies to save ammo, and there are certain types later on that it's very useful against.

I guess it's dated in the sense that you aren't running around willy nilly while explosions go off all around you and you crouch dance your way through bullets but there are no real control issues.
Get good?

For me, it's not dated because it's difficult. I feel that it's dated because it doesn't do anything new.

DirtyLarry

I feel you but if you played the Silent Hill games you would say it is RE4 mixed in with SH, I agree though, I am enjoying this far more than RE4 just because it's leaning more towards the horror side as well as being consistent about it. No minigun general wearing enemies up in this bitch. Fell in love from the moment I saw all the mindfuckery mess of the first chapter.
As an FYI, I have played Silent Hill 1 through Homecoming. For some reason never played the latter games.
I just completely forget about comparing it also to Silent Hill, but no doubt I see that as well.
Truth is I always held Silent Hill in its own league. It is quite the original. But I get the comparison here as well.

For me, it's not dated because it's difficult. I feel that it's dated because it doesn't do anything new.

Honestly... that's most games. Also I'd say it combines a few types of games into it own beast. But if you need constant genre defying experiences, I can see the issues you have.

Xpliskin

Get good?

had 1 bullet left, missed a guy's head.
Tried melee, he got knocked down (it's rare. What are the chances).
Finished by burning him.

Quite a rush.

Quick question: would you all recommend upgrading sprint/running all the way to level 5 (or whatever the highest lvl is)?

I've already upgraded sprint up to the penultimate highest lvl, and to lvl it up one final time requires a beefy 30,000 gel.

I'm already at the start of chapter 8 or 9 (can't remember which one it is. I had just finished the
epic Safehead battle in the gas-filled rooms
; so whichever chapter comes after that, that's where I'm at.)

So, is it really necessary, and worth spending the 30,000 gel on that last sprint lvl?

Thanks!

Hagi

This is such a half-assed and not well thought out rebuttal. You're arguing that the game is so great and that "specific people just won't get it" because of how much it supposedly plays like an old-school SH, yet it's missing a crucial element that all of them had.

The most ridiculous thing of all is that
He has a fucking knife on him from the start of the game!

You carry it with you through the whole game. I think it's telling that the only time you can use it is through stealth kills.

I'm in agreement that the camera is far too zoomed in during aiming. I'd be enjoying the game a great deal more if it was your standard RE4 or even unpactched 6 over the shoulder camera.

Honestly... that's most games. Also I'd say it combines a few types of games into it own beast. But if you need constant genre defying experiences, I can see the issues you have.

I wish if he knew more survival horror games that do what TEW does. :( Last of it's kind was Dead Space 1. Thank fuck we got another one 6 years later.

Alec

That is most games, I totally agree. I wish it wasn't the case.

I made the mistake of going on media-blackout for this game and I was expecting the second coming of horror from my glorious Mikami-sama. That's my bad. It's fine for what it is.

FaintDeftone

Played for about 45min on PS4 last night. In the middle of Chapter 2. The first thing I noticed is that right off the bat, the framerate was pretty subpar. For a cross gen game, I expected the PS4 version run like butter. A bit disappointed with that.

As far as the game goes, I'm definitely enjoying it so far, even though I'm not very far. I'm playing it on Casual since I heard the game gets pretty cheap and frustrating. This is the kind of game that I enjoy the experience more than the challenge, so I don't mind.

Looking forward to playing more tonight.

Quick question: would you all recommend upgrading sprint/running all the way to level 5 (or whatever the highest lvl is)?

I've already upgraded sprint up to the penultimate highest lvl, and to lvl it up one final time requires a beefy 30,000 gel.

I'm already at the start of chapter 8 or 9 (can't remember which one it is. I had just finished the
epic Safehead battle in the gas-filled rooms
; so whichever chapter comes after that, that's where I'm at.)

So, is it really necessary, and worth spending the 30,000 gel on that last sprint lvl?

Thanks!

Nope, imo. I upgraded only to lvl 4 and now i'm on chapter 11. However, I wished that I upgraded completely when I was in CH10.

But by then I already knew my limits since it gives you the timing of your running in the upgrade menu so whenever I run I always time myself in my head and thus managed to finish the chapter with not a whole lot of problems.

Chapter 6 down

this really is B-tier/movie Resident Evil 4. Strong combat/encounter design/level design, but sub-30 framerate, awful FOV, too close camera, bland and stilted characters/dialog, janky animations, and (intentionally) clumsy controls make it seem like they did it on a budget. Or maybe idtech5 just sucks, IDK. Mikami came back to the genre, but he didn't have any new ideas.

Alec

Chapter 6 down

this really is B-tier/movie Resident Evil 4. Strong combat/encounter design/level design, but sub-30 framerate, awful FOV, too close camera, bland and stilted characters/dialog, janky animations, and (intentionally) clumsy controls make it seem like they did it on a budget. Or maybe idtech5 just sucks, IDK. Mikami came back to the genre, but he didn't have any new ideas.

A valid opinion, and one that I share.

Unai

The "zooming" is intended.
"The player wants to aim, let's go all to way to a FPS (half-life ish) perspective)"
It's the first game that does it (besides devil's Third who goes further).
It was a risk that people wouldn't like it.
Personally it helps me aim better as I don't have a character taking up space screen.

Resident Evil Revelations did that as well, at least the 3DS version. But there was an option to turn it off. I want to say that mercenaries 3D did that too, but I'm not sure.

Ricker

If I kill all the ennemies and leave one guy and use the mirror to get back to the upgrade chair,do they come back when I head back or will I still just have the one guy left...?

The checkpoints sort of take the "Survival" out of "Survival Horror". There is no fear of death in this game.

that, too. There isn't a whole lot of resource management going on with Survival right now. Ammo isn't in short supply along as you don't go Rambo with it, checkpoints are after every battle, there's zero penalty for dying...hell, I'd encourage it so you can do a scene again and save some ammo this time. There's no real tension in The Evil Within, despite how fun it is to shoot people in the head or how "spooky" some of the environments look.

Only bad thing about death are the 10-15 second load times

AkuMifune

Banned
A valid opinion, and one that I share.

I'm enjoying it a ton, but I am wondering while playing if this is an intentionally designed RE4make, or if this is just all Mikami knows how to do.

Into Chapter 4 now. Think I missed a bunch of stuff in Chapter 3 and thinking about starting over already. Heh.

Dyno

I'm on chapter 3 and for every thing that I like there is something I don't. The pros and cons have been mentioned enough times. It's just a really uneven experience that I hope smooths out and becomes more enjoyable deeper in.

ironcreed

Banned
Finally got a chance to start late last night. It's a bit rough around the edges and had a slow start, but it did not take long to start getting good in chapter 2. I am digging it.

MrBlonde

I only did the first 2 chapters last night, not bad so far. My question is are all the chapters this short? Not a huge deal since there are so many, just curious.

Jobbs

Banned
Counting the whiskers on Sebastion's face, which, you should note, aren't just a flat texture, but they actually protrude out.

http://www.gfycat.com/ImmaculatePopularCanary

While the presentation isn't flawless, it's so lavishingly styled with various filters and effects, great textures, and amazing character models. I really couldn't be happier on the presentation side.

Does anyone else really dislike how overly contrasted everything is?? It seriously gives me a headache after a while, especially when there are a lot of bright light sources

Gaz_RB

wait, seriously? whats the point of saving then?

Having different save slots I guess. Makes no sense. Survival horror was all about going through hell and having like no resources or health but pressing on regardless(and being really scared of dying) because you didn't want to lose all that progress since the last save room. TEW loses all that with the checkpoint system.

Top Bottom