• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Raptor

The third chapter took me forever. I had to keep clearing out small sections of the level and then run back to the save point.

Loved every second, though.

Has been what you expected?

Feeling a little disapointed?

Loving it 100%?

Did you posted your Impressions?

-MD-

The third chapter took me forever. I had to keep clearing out small sections of the level and then run back to the save point.

I thought I was going to have to do that but it seemed to save after every 3 kills in chapter 3 so I never had the need to revisit a mirror twice.

The checkpoints in this game are about as good as they can get.

Sanctuary

Chapter 7 was fucking awesome! This game is so easy on the eyes, couldn't stop taking screenshots.

Huh? A statement like this makes me wonder if the engine really does do some kind of scaling based off of your hardware. I never found anything to do with textures in the options, but on my 3gb card there's a TON of areas that look like a mix of "decent" (what you would expect from a last gen PC port) textures, but then a whole lot that stand out as super low res. It often looked almost like I was playing a game using the Source engine from 2004 or something. The aesthetics/atmosphere are mostly pretty great so it's not that.

JimPanzer

yea, the third chapter blew my mind. such a tiny map but so many to explore and still I'm sure I missed something. Can't wait to jump into chapter 4 once it gets dark outside :)

Hagi

Having different save slots I guess. Makes no sense. Survival horror was all about going through hell and having like no resources or health but pressing on regardless(and being really scared of dying) because you didn't want to lose all that progress since the last save room. TEW loses all that with the checkpoint system.

I can see that but for me having no checkpoints doesn't stop me having no resources, pressing on regardless and not wanting to die. Maybe the atmosphere and the tension that creates just holds me more than others.

This is what I want Resident Evil to be like instead of consistenly being disappointed every iteration past 4.

SDCowboy

It took me a long time because I couldn't find what I was supposed to do.
Kept missing the chainsaw guy.

I thought I was going to have to do that but it seemed to save after every 3 kills in chapter 3 so I never had the need to revisit a mirror twice.

Yes they are..... but
in chapter 9, be careful. You'll find yourself kicking your ass if you don't save and end up dying. :D

Jobbs

Banned
It took me a long time because I couldn't find what I was supposed to do.
Kept missing the chainsaw guy.

took me forever because I kept not being able to figure out what to do with him.
initially I was trying to get him to swing his chainsaw at me and move out of the way and make him hit the chain. I was convinced this is what I needed to do.

After that, I started trying to kill him, which was tough because my save was stuck with no ammo for anything and low health, then I remembered the traps and it took me a few tries to get him lined up with the right timing. I was pretty annoyed with that at the time, but a lot of the annoyance comes from how my checkpoint got stuck with low hp and no ammo and full spawns, which magically were brought back. I had cleared all the regular enemies, freed the chainsaw guy, died to him, and then at my checkpoint all the spawns were back even though chainsaw man was back in the cage. stupid.

SDCowboy

took me forever because I kept not being able to figure out what to do with him. initially I was trying to get him to swing his chainsaw at me and move out of the way and make him hit the chain. I was convinced this is what I needed to do.

After that, I started trying to kill him, which was tough because my save was stuck with no ammo for anything and low health, then I remembered the traps and it took me a few tries to get him lined up with the right timing. I was pretty annoyed with that at the time, but a lot of the annoyance comes from how my checkpoint got stuck with low hp and no ammo and full spawns, which magically were brought back. I had cleared all the regular enemies, freed the chainsaw guy, died to him, and then at my checkpoint all the spawns were back even though chainsaw man was back in the cage. stupid.

I launched an exploding arrow into him while he was still chained (from up above), and then shot a couple more at him while he was climbing the ladder and tossed a grenade at him once he got up. He was dead before he even got to me. lol

antitrop

Has been what you expected?

Feeling a little disapointed?

Loving it 100%?

Did you posted your Impressions?

I enjoyed chapter 1 and 2 a bit more than most, I guess. I would agree with most of the common complaints, but they don't affect my enjoyment.

I don't even see the black bars on my 44" television. If that makes me like Cypher from The Matrix, then so be it. I'm sure it sucks on a smaller PC monitor, it is what it is.

I've only finished Chapter 3 and time is short, with a lot of other "stuff" going on in my life I have to take care of, so I'm not rushing through this by any means. Chapter 3 was extremely solid, though. I enjoy the stealth.

In contrast to my rather brief and obsessive posting style, I think I'll do two massive impression dumps, one at the half-way point, and one when I finish it.

Maybe it's because I am playing with M/KB and a smoother framerate than the console versions appear to have, but I am not finding the controls clunky at all. The shooting feels great and responsive, and the zoom in on aiming is useful because of how you need that accuracy for longer shots. It's also useful for some puzzle solving later to get an up close view. RE4 pulled in too but not as much, and what was kind of a precursor to RE4, RE Dead Aim, pulled in all the way to first person.

Yes they are..... but
in chapter 9, be careful. You'll find yourself kicking your ass if you don't save and end up dying. :D

Actually not only that but saves also permanently leaves the enemy dead if I am not mistaken, as long as you did so before saving. I have not been eased up on checkpoints, I always save because just as I guessed, there are chapters where if you eased up to checkpoints, it'll destroy you for not saving lol.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Counting the whiskers on Sebastion's face, which, you should note, aren't just a flat texture, but they actually protrude out.

http://www.gfycat.com/ImmaculatePopularCanary

While the presentation isn't flawless, it's so lavishingly styled with various filters and effects, great textures, and amazing character models. I really couldn't be happier on the presentation side.
It looks absolutely fantastic, I agree, but I think they did wrong by failing to focus on good performance. The frame-rate in this game is simply not acceptable on any of the consoles. I'm not sure how Mikami and friends thought it was acceptable to release a game with such a poor frame-rate but it's very disappointing.

Yeah it certainly better Survival Horror than RE6 at least.
RE6 is a great fucking game, though. It's barely "survival horror" but it's a fantastic, misunderstood game with a huge learning curve.

antitrop

I don't even mind going back to the save points

because I get to see the nurse again

Just made it to Chapter 3 last night.....love this game. It is giving me major Manhunt vibes in all the stealth sections.......I wonder if that game was an inspiration?

Jobbs

Banned
It looks absolutely fantastic, I agree, but I think they did wrong by failing to focus on good performance. The frame-rate in this game is simply not acceptable on any of the consoles. I'm not sure how Mikami and friends thought it was acceptable to release a game with such a poor frame-rate but it's very disappointing.

(on ps4) very early on I noticed some framerate problems, but after that I haven't really had any complaints since then. It's not 60, and 60 would be nice, but it's been fine.

mattp

Having different save slots I guess. Makes no sense. Survival horror was all about going through hell and having like no resources or health but pressing on regardless(and being really scared of dying) because you didn't want to lose all that progress since the last save room. TEW loses all that with the checkpoint system.

yeah, i gotta say, i am a little bummed by the checkpoint system
i wish they would have just straight up ripped the ink ribbon system out of classic RE

I also wanna say, the end of chapter 9 is all sorts of fuckery, that end, combined with all of chapter 10. Well... fuck me is what I thought to myself.

Ricker

Are you stuck on
the boss?

Well one of them I guess,not even sure its the end of the chapter
its the guy with the chainsaw,if I have to kill him I will probably never make it I have 4 shotgun shells,one grenade,one ammo for the crossbow and about 6 bullets for the revolver...or do I have to time so he swings at me near the chain so he breaks it....?

kodecraft

I really don't understand the dated complaints, I mean you can't throw yourself around like in Resident Evil 6 but you have free movement, can sneak around and create distractions, sprint at will, and so on. Has all the features of a modern action game and controls well. You are faster than every enemy in the game while sprinting so you have plenty of opportunity to gain distance, although managing your sprint is important early on. Hit reactions are great, with pieces of their face breaking off in different ways when you don't get a crit. It just feels great to me, and the bosses up to this point have been pretty diverse.

Melee is pretty useful when you upgrade the damage. Is never a focus point like in RE4/5/6 but it's good for finishing off enemies. Also useful in that it will interrupt attacks and sometimes knock enemies to the ground. If you get cornered by a group you can melee and run through them while they're staggered. One on one it's my preferred way of taking out enemies to save ammo, and there are certain types later on that it's very useful against.

I guess it's dated in the sense that you aren't running around willy nilly while explosions go off all around you and you crouch dance your way through bullets but there are no real control issues.
Get good?

I like this post.

I'm loving the game, I knew I would but this feels great to me. The zoomed-in-over-the-shoulder aim works perfectly for me as when it switches to that fov my first person shooter instinct kicks in. I'm strafing left to right, right to left, banging out out headshots.

I found early on if whe aiming for the head if the reticule is around both the head and neck area you can be successful. Also, its good to pop the haunted in the leg and just light them up with a match.

I'm playing on PC and it's a laptop connected to my 55' tv, solid 30fps.

Just finished Chapter 3, haven't died much (playing on survival). The enemies can't catch me and I need to do a "Let's Play" because the way I play and you didn't know what TEW was, you'd think it was an action game in a horror setting.

I'm vulnerable and careful when I play, but I'm also defensive. I don't allow too many enemies to get up close because some can attack with 2-3 swings on you.

The other thing that keeps you on your toes are traps. Haha, I'm loving this!

its the guy with the chainsaw,if I have to kill him I will probably never make it I have 4 shotgun shells,one grenade,one ammo for the crossbow and about 6 bullets for the revolver...or do I have to time so he swings at me near the chain so he breaks it....?

You do need to kill him, but think of another way to do it. Use the environment.
I can tell you what I did, but I don't know if you want to figure it out yourself or not.

-MD-

In chapter 6 is it possible to skip
getting back the glasses? I got them, but it seemed like it might have been optional.

I doubt it, he takes the glasses off in a scene right after that.

Do you have any spare parts to make more bolts? Can you scavenge a but more for supplies? If not, use the environment as BaraSailey said.

Ricker

You do need to kill him, but think of another way to do it. Use the environment.
I can tell you what I did, but I don't know if you want to figure it out yourself or not.

Yeah I think i kinda know what to do,at one point Sebastien says something and I see something that would do a good job of that but I cant seem to trigger it...no icon appear...I will try a few more times after Gym,otherwise you can throw me how you did it =)

DukeBobby

About halfway through chapter 7.

After a rough first couple of chapters, the game started to come into its own. The last few chapters have been fantastic (yes, even the combat heavy chapter 6). Hope it continues to impress.

However, the game isn't any scarier than Resident Evil 4 so far. I'm a bit disappointed by that.

-MD-

But can you escape it after grabbing the glasses? or do you have to kill it. Cause I killed it and the line of dialog was hilarious.

I escaped it, shit, I wanna hear the dialogue now. Is it in one of your walkthrough vids?

For those who have finished it, how's the storyline?

I'm halfway through and it's trippy, It's good enough to make me want to see what happens next, I dig it.

I might be the only one who feels this way, but I actually like the black bars for this game, although I am playing on a 42'' TV and can understand all the hate for them while playing on a smaller monitor. After a while I simply don't notice them, just like I don't really notice them while watching a typical blu-ray.

I like the black bars too, makes the game feel more clean to me or something.

I'm on a 23" monitor.

Sanctuary

I might be the only one who feels this way, but I actually like the black bars for this game, although I am playing on a 42'' TV and can understand all the hate for them while playing on a smaller monitor. After a while I simply don't notice them, just like I don't really notice them while watching a typical blu-ray.

I escaped it, shit, I wanna hear the dialogue now.

I didn't even understand the point of the glasses scenario, since all you have to do is
run to them, grab them, turn around and run to the gate. What was funny for me was that as I was squeezing through the gap, the wolf just casually breathed down my back.

Ok,playing on casual and I cant even finish chapter 3....should I quit now guys....?

You should restart. You'll use less supplies the second time through and it will be easier in the long run. At least that's what I have to do like 2 hours into every survival horror game I play.

Yeah I think i kinda know what to do,at one point Sebastien says something and I see something that would do a good job of that but I cant seem to trigger it...no icon appear...I will try a few more times after Gym,otherwise you can throw me how you did it =)

All right, good luck! :)

Hagi

Just got to chapter 6 seems like a good place to stop till later on. Game seems to be getting a bit more over bearing with enemies which isn't to say that's a negative.

I've only played chapter 1 so far but it's nice. Too early to tell as I haven't gotten to combat yet. I can only play when the wife wants to watch so that will limit my playtime on it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Digital Foundry analysis:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-evil-within-performance-analysis

As it stands the results aren't looking great for either console but the PS4 version takes the lead for the moment with its higher resolution and smoother update when running at 30fps. It is odd that certain scenes do operate with a slight advantage on Xbox One, however, and we'll have to play further to see how the game trends in later sections. Anyone sensitive to frame-rate issues is going to have an issue playing this game and should probably go for the PC version provided one has the specs to handle it

I've only played chapter 1 so far but it's nice. Too early to tell as I haven't gotten to combat yet. I can only play when the wife wants to watch so that will limit my playtime on it.

The game doesn't really get into the meat of gameplay until around the tail-end of chapter 3. Once you get there you'll have a better idea of what you're in for.

-MD-

I didn't even understand the point of the glasses scenario, since all you have to do is
run to them, grab them, turn around and run to the gate. What was funny for me was that as I was squeezing through the gap, the wolf just casually breathed down my back.

Soon as I passed through the
gate I sprinted to the glasses and as I was sprinting back Joseph was like "hey, dog, over here" and threw a bottle down like right in front of the gate opening. Thanks Joseph.

I still managed to squeeze through in time though,
it was a funky little sequence but I thought it was neat.

Yay! A huge ass silver case!!

*1 Shotgun Shell*

:I

This always gives me a smile.

MAKE ME SUFFER

Gurish

What is the most important thing to upgrade at the beginning? I'm afraid to get frustrated later on like some of the reviewers.

antitrop

Digital Foundry analysis:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-evil-within-performance-analysis

'As it stands the results aren't looking great for either console but the PS4 version takes the lead for the moment with its higher resolution and smoother update when running at 30fps. It is odd that certain scenes do operate with a slight advantage on Xbox One, however, and we'll have to play further to see how the game trends in later sections. Anyone sensitive to frame-rate issues is going to have an issue playing this game and should probably go for the PC version provided one has the specs to handle it'

1920x768 on PS4
1600x640 on XB1

XB1 does seem to hold its framerate better. With other issues... that could be worse?

Top Bottom