• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Gurish

Digital Foundry analysis:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-evil-within-performance-analysis

'As it stands the results aren't looking great for either console but the PS4 version takes the lead for the moment with its higher resolution and smoother update when running at 30fps. It is odd that certain scenes do operate with a slight advantage on Xbox One, however, and we'll have to play further to see how the game trends in later sections. Anyone sensitive to frame-rate issues is going to have an issue playing this game and should probably go for the PC version provided one has the specs to handle it'
So PS4 version looks better and mostly perform better than X1 regardless of what people said, what a big surprise.

Too bad both versions runs like shit in general though, that's a big fuck up by Mikami's team.

I'm having nearly as much fun playing The Evil Within as when I played Resident Evil 4 for the first time almost 10 years ago. I had no expectations and the release snuck up on me so I'm very pleasantly surprised.

The only reason I'm not enjoying it as much is because it has a different tone and pacing than something like Resident Evil 4 or, actually, even the original.

In the Resident Evil games you move from one place to another in an orderly way, while feeling like what you do now will matter later on. You can see the progress you've made and have a broad understanding of where you might go next or what you might need to do. The games are "scary" in theme but you still feel in control of the situation.

By Chapter 6 I feel groundless playing The Evil Within. The pacing of the game fits the thematic idea of losing one's mind and this makes everything feel transient. The story is enjoyably cryptic and lets my imagination work a bit while I play, but skipping from one place to another trivializes the feeling of discovery and progress. This just isn't the type of game where you feel in control at any point the first time through. Any victories you feel are short-term. It's directed to be unsettling not only in theme but also in how it plays-- that's what makes it different compared to other survival-horror action games I've played.

The Evil Within could have easily fallen in line with similar looking survival-horror action games, but so far it's subverted my expectations. My instinct was to blast through everything, but you actually just run around in circles hiding in closets and under beds, waiting for that enemy to pass a corpse so you can burn it since you ran out of bullets. This is an entire aspect missing from Resident Evil-style games-- whether that's good or bad is up to you. The game could have taken place in the mental hospital having you find clues and backtrack through a Resident Evil-style mansion, but instead you're thrust from one place to the next in an unnerving way. I don't mind being jerked around every once and a while, but I can see how some people would want something to cling to.

I think The Evil Within treads a fine line between feeling frustrating and fun. When making a game that's chaotically paced and puts you in situations where you feel helpless, things could easily go wrong. That the game looks like something you've played before but feels different doesn't do itself any favors either, unless you're ready to have your expectations subverted.

I don't think there's any correlation between people who loved RE4 and people who like this game despite the two sharing the same director, but I'm glad I didn't pass it up, at least. When I first played RE4 I was so blown away I immediately played it again on "professional" difficulty, ready to dominate. I think I'll end up doing the same with The Evil Within, but more because I want to redeem myself and play pretending I have a handle on things.

NerdBird

Banned
I must say I absolutely love this game so far, I'm currently on chapter 5. But wtf, these invisible enemies really take the piss unless I suck a t killing them

Sanctuary

I mean they notice you too easily.

Still not sure what you mean. You aren't supposed to walk stealthily head on, and they are so oblivious when walking with their back turned that you can actually walk up to them until you're a few feet away, which is the time to crouch and kill.

Skyzard

Banned
I wish it gave you a brief chance to QTE out of getting attacked really close range by the normal fucks instead of watching the sequence...although that might get too easy then immersion breaking. And yeah, those
invisible bastards
wut

Just need a way to at least backup quickly.

SDCowboy

Still not sure what you mean. You aren't supposed to walk stealthily head on, and they are so oblivious when walking with their back turned that you can actually walk up to them until you're a few feet away, which is the time to crouch and kill.

lol I'm not talking about head on. I get spotted all the time when they are mostly turned away or off to the side and I'm ways off and just trying to go around them.

greenfish

Banned
Thank GOD i'm on PC

http://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/node/1195

That's what it takes, took durante on dark souls 2. Getting downright sick and tired of this console mentality bullshit. No I do not blame the actual console owners, but the devs needs to get their shit together.

Biggest issue with evil within:

FOV, lol seriously
black bars, this shit can stay on console ONLY if it's performance related (those who can't comprehend how aspect ratio works, don't bother replying to my post, I will just ignore you)
FPS issues on good rigs

I'm not gonna play the game until Hayden releases the actual tool. Next time I will not purchase Tango games during release day, not until they have been confirmed to be a non gimped version.

Thank you Hayden at flawlesswidescreen

Still very much a work in progress... has already consumed a significant chunk of time.

Fixed so far:

- Correct Aspect Ratio
- Remove Letterbox
- Maintain Movies at correct Aspect
- Correct black screen overlay
- Correct HUD Aspect
- FOV correction (vert- after removing letterbox)
- Bloom (too bright) corrected.

To do:

- Loading screen
- Improve the FOV fix as it jerks sometimes between scenes or transitions.
- Try and stop the player being shifted too far left or right of center.

Sanctuary

lol I'm not talking about head on. I get spotted all the time when they are mostly turned away or off to the side and I'm ways off and just trying to go around them.

Stealth is extremely easy in this game. You just need to crouch along the walls and watch enemy movement since it is usually on some kind of repeating cycle. Enemies that tend to walk back and forth, towards and away from the character are actually the easiest.
Also, it's obvious, but keep your lantern off when trying to sneak.

Also, it sucks for people with "great PCs" or whatever, but aside from a few in game glitches, I haven't had any performance issues at all.

Thank GOD i'm on PC

That's what it takes, took durante on dark souls 2. Getting downright sick and tired of this console mentality bullshit. No I do not blame the actual console owners, but the devs needs to get their shit together.

FOV, lol seriously
black bars, this shit can stay on console ONLY if it's performance related (those who can't comprehend how aspect ratio works, don't bother replying to my post, I will just ignore you)
FPS issues on good rigs

I'm not gonna play the game until Hayden releases the actual tool. Next time I will not purchase Tango games during release day, not until they have been confirmed to be a non gimped version.

This looks awesome.

Coming to what I think is the end of chapter 6 and I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about this game. On the one hand it's a love letter to one of my favourites, Resi 4, without being too copycat. Plus it contains that Silent Hill style psychological horror where lots of things aren't explained that I really enjoy, yet I've been left frustrated with a few aspects, most notably the "boss" fights.

I'm still playing though and generally enjoying it, but it remains to be seen if it will end up on my top 10 of the year.

ChuckNyce

I must say I absolutely love this game so far, I'm currently on chapter 5. But wtf, these invisible enemies really take the piss unless I suck a t killing them

Yea I was doing pretty good in regards to ammo conservation, but those invisible enemies are starting to suck me dry.

Gurish

1920x768 on PS4
1600x640 on XB1

XB1 does seem to hold its framerate better. With other issues... that could be worse?
They said PS4 version is generaly smoother (and run at a higher res) and only in some areas there is a "slight" advantage for the XB1 but nothing major.

And the XB1 version suffer from some other technical flaws that are not there on PS4, it seems that PS4 version is a no brainer if you are stuck with consoles, PC is the best but it can't maintain 60.

The game is a technical mess and I'm not sure who to blame, Mikami's team or IdTech5 or maybe both?

dcelw540

i have no clue what is going on in the story, im about 6-7 hours in and so far i'm getting a bit annoyed how cryptic this game is.

Sanctuary

Coming to what I think is the end of chapter 6 and I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about this game. On the one hand it's a love letter to one of my favourites, Resi 4, without being too copycat. Plus it contains that Silent Hill style psychological horror where lots of things aren't explained that I really enjoy, yet I've been left frustrated with a few aspects, most notably the "boss" fights.

I'm still playing though and generally enjoying it, but it remains to be seen if it will end up on my top 10 of the year.

Silent Hill, Resident Evil (4&5), F.E.A.R., Dead Space, Outlast, The Last of Us, Alan Wake, The Cell, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (which he stated was an influence), Inception, The Ring etc..

Jobbs

Banned
I don't consider myself super-sensitive to framerate, but I find the performance on PS4 to be pretty atrocious, especially taking the letterboxing into account.

I must be crazy, because I barely notice the letterbox and aside from the jittery parts early on I haven't noticed any real framerate problems.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I don't consider myself super-sensitive to framerate, but I find the performance on PS4 to be pretty atrocious, especially taking the letterboxing into account.

I must be crazy, because I barely notice the letterbox and aside from the jittery parts early on I haven't noticed any real framerate problems.

The letterboxing bothers me no end but I'm not having a problem with the framerate. I think I can get used to the borders, which I will have to get used to with The Order using the same aspect ratio (I'm one of the few people that's still pretty hyped about that game)

RetroStu

Banned
Just started watching a playthrough of the PS4 version, is the framerate really as bad as i'm seeing?, its terrible but it could be down to Youtube.

Jobbs

Banned
Just started watching a playthrough of the PS4 version, is the framerate really as bad as i'm seeing?, its terrible but it could be down to Youtube.

you'll see a lot of people being overdramatic about the framerate, particularly because there's some obvious framerate issues right at the start of the game, which oddly is also one of the ugliest parts of the game.

in general, the game is a mostly stable 30, great looking, and awesome.

Finished chapter 9 and I love the game but is in no way as good as RE4, even if I ignore the nostalgia and the fact that RE4 was an innovative game back in the day.

I don't know what is the deal with the brightness and contrast in this game, but it feels like is poorly adjusted, sometimes is OK and sometimes is weirdly adjusted.

ironcreed

Banned

I have only noticed a slight chug lasting no longer than a second or two here and there and usually in a cutscene. It's been pretty stable playing for the most part.

It'd be cool if people would compare the game to a game other than RE4.

Yeah, that'd be pretty neat.

It would be cool if it is taken as it's own game. It uses RE4 as it's base but grows and does many other things that RE4 never did which going by what others are saying on here that the game does throw new things at you till the very end of it's 15 chapter run.

-MD-

Its so RE4 it hurts man. Accept this

I just played RE4 a week ago, this is not that game. Chapter 6 was the closest thing to it (still extremely different outside of the scenario) and chapter 7 moved away from it completely.

It would be cool if it is taken as it's own game. It uses RE4 as it's base but grows and does many other things that RE4 never did which going by what others are saying on here that the game does throw new things at you till the very end of it's 15 chapter run.

I agree. The funny thing is people keep saying this is RE4 and then go on to bitch about how it's not RE4. Clearly they bought the game for the wrong reasons.

it's a blend of outlast, silent hill, and RE4. Everything feels so familiar. It's like a collage of everything horror related in games ever since RE4 came out. with a mix of AAA set piece stuff thrown in.

That sounds pretty sweet to me, you might sell a few copies with that post.

kick51

Banned
It'd be cool if people would compare the game to a game other than RE4.

Yeah, that'd be pretty neat.

it's a blend of outlast, silent hill, and RE4. Everything feels so familiar. It's like a collage of everything horror related in games ever since RE4 came out. with a mix of AAA set piece stuff thrown in.

you'll see a lot of people being overdramatic about the framerate, particularly because there's some obvious framerate issues right at the start of the game, which oddly is also one of the ugliest parts of the game.

in general, the game is a mostly stable 30, great looking, and awesome.

The frame-rate is bad but it's made to seem far worse with the dodgy main character animations and absolutely piss poor camera, it's not a stable 30 on consoles and i'm glad to see digital foundry confirming this but it's nothing game breaking.
they need to patch the camera and fov though, people were on capcoms case about resi 6 from day 1 and that game was hardly worth trying to save, this game however is worth saving and needs a fix, the artists of this game deserve far better.

Thank GOD i'm on PC

FOV, lol seriously
FPS issues on good rigs

Awesome!

ironcreed

Banned

I am only in chapter 3 and a well-balanced mix of these is almost exactly what it feels like. No complaints from me.

HeelPower

played for three hours couldn't stop.

The game is incredibly fun and atmsopheric with engaging encounters and level design.

Love the art direction too.

Brings RE5 and 6 to complete shame.

mattp

the intro to this game has really been polarizing
although i don't know how anyone could miss the bottles in the first chapter haha

tr5i55x.jpg

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I wonder if Capcom are going to keep embarrassing themselves with that franchise or if they plan to change it up with 7.

I wish they'd do some surveying or talk about it more.

Can Patrick Klepek please play till chapter 6 or sometime thereafter. The beginning is just a setup.
the stealth goes away for a while later on

Tell him to tweet once he's at chapter 6 or 7. The beginning is like stones thrown in the lake. Skipping those stones.

To me it's a simple beginning. It doesn't wake him up in bed and have him reading and drinking his coffee. He gets to the point.
His wife is dead, he became a drunk, his partner ratted him out, and he's showing up to a murder scene
lol What's there not to get?

Remember Jericho where it was a wake up call from being in bed? This gets to the point IMO.

HeelPower

I wonder if Capcom are going to keep embarrassing themselves with that franchise or if they plan to change it up with 7.

Its not that this a horror game, to it isn't.

Its a great, tense action game with fun levels and awesome art direction.

This is what RE7 needs to do ,but I don't think it ever will.

They are too focused on making straight line levels and boring enemies.

Top Bottom