• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

-MD-

This is what RE7 needs to do ,but I don't think it ever will.

They are too focused on making straight line levels and boring enemies.

Can you blame them? The current audience for that series doesn't really give a shit about anything other than being able to roll around on the ground and mercenary/raid modes.

If I were Capcom I wouldn't even make campaigns anymore, I'd just release raid/mercenary games yearly.

The bottles are literally everywhere :/

evilwithinhlam0.png

evilwithin4k4sf5.png

evilwithin2hzx6b.png

evilwithin3npl9u.png

I think it's a legitimately good looking game, even outside of the incredible atmosphere.
Great character model! Wall in the third shot isn't Crytek level, but in other Idtech5 games it'd look like a blown out jpeg.

HeelPower

I think this game has a great intro.

Only thing that turned me off at first was limping away from the chainsaw guy.

I feared that the game would be just another horrible "distraction with objects stealth horror"

But as soon I entered the woods I loved it.The feeling of empowerment killing an enemy were awesome from there on.

It worked for me.I also really like the stamina gauge ,upgrade system and melee limitations.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I think this game has a great intro.

Only thing that turned me off at first was limping away from the chainsaw guy.

I feared that the game would be just another horrible "distraction with objects stealth horror"

But as soon I entered the woods I loved it.The feeling of empowerment killing an enemy were awesome from there on.

It worked for me.I also really like the stamina gauge ,upgrade system and melee limitations.

It's simple. Remember Saw where they just wake up in the room? The whole movie is
"how they got there"
. This is simpler than that IMO.

HeelPower

Can you blame them? The current audience for that series doesn't really give a shit about anything other than being able to roll around on the ground and mercenary/raid modes.

If I were Capcom I wouldn't even make campaigns anymore, I'd just release raid/mercenary games yearly.

They have every resource to match the likes of naughty dog(in terms of quality I don't want that direction either)

but they don't...RE6 was decent in some ways but overall it was a missed opportunity considering the amazing production values.(600 people worked on the game for years)

It's simple. Remember Saw where they just wake up in the room? The whole movie is
"how they got there"
. This is simpler than that IMO.

Definitely a good intro because it makes you learn the game on your own.

Very atmospheric too.

Akibared

Seems like they were right to send that how to play stuff to reviewers based off that twitter stuff hahahahaaha. I think the game does a perfectly good job of showing you how to play it.

After chapter 5:
I'm stuck at the save hospital. There are no shiny reflections on mirrors or windows anywhere. Is this a bug?

Chapter 5 -
How many hits with the fire does it take to kill Laura?

Seven or eight times if I counted right. I burned her in the fire pit where the floor slides open.

Seems like they were right to send that how to play stuff to reviewers hahahahaaha. I think the game does a perfectly good job of showing you how to play it.
Seriously, I just don't understand how one can get confused. It's just so completely.......obvious. And there are bottles in every direction of that chapter. And hell, if you somehow miss one there are multiple traps laying about!
After chapter 5:
I'm stuck at the save hospital. There are no shiny reflections on mirrors or windows anywhere. Is this a bug?
Check the back rooms closely.

Reebot

Haha wow at chapter 6. Even if it was fun to play that dialogue is just something else.

"Its not jut about being able to see... Its about feeling normal."

"Come on, lets go.
All that for a pair of glasses."

What a damn shame. At least we got Bayo 2 coming soon.

Haha wow at chapter 6. Even if it was fun to play that dialogue is just something else.

"Come on, lets go.

That was great imo. Loved that dialog. Hammy and I felt done totally on purpose. I mean... the whole situation with the glasses was. lol

Scoot2005

Banned
[QUOTE}
Seven or eight times if I counted right. I burned her in the fire pit where the floor slides open.
[/QUOTE]

Hit
her with every fire source available. The two torches, fire pits, and red barrels.

That's a lot of hits. Damn.
Does she dies permanently after that?

Edit - HOLY SHIT I fucked that quote up lol.

Bl@de

Please don't...it's just so sad. Every thread about RE is terrible. People just talking about mercenaries or raid. A mode I never really liked or cared about because I tought it's totally out of place in Survival Horror. Just a simple highscore run. And don't remind me of threads where people talk about Revelations being a return to the roots. It's just mindboggeling someone would think that.

I'm really thankful for The Evil Within. A real survival-horror/action game. Something capcom just can't/doesn't want to do anymore. Something no one tries because people are lost and and don't find bottles in the first chapter ... Because too hard, too confusing ... It shows me, that Mikami is the only person that could bring RE to former glory. And that ... Will never happen.

Grisby

[QUOTE}

Hit
her with every fire source available. The two torches, fire pits, and red barrels.

That's a lot of hits. Damn.
Does she dies permanently after that?

Edit - HOLY SHIT I fucked that quote up lol.
Dunno. Just got done with it. My 8-ball is saying, "All signs point to yes."

So, I won't be checking this out till either after work... or maybe I'll wait till I finish up Alien: Isolation to play TEW. How's it stack up to Isolation in the area of fear?

-MD-

There's a trophy for beating the game without a single upgrade, and another for beating Akumu mode (which I don't think anyone has details on yet), but it could be fairly challenging.

You die in 1 hit on Akumu, we know that.

So, I won't be checking this out till either after work... or maybe I'll wait till I finish up Alien: Isolation to play TEW. How's it stack up to Isolation in the area of fear?

Haven't played Alien yet (watched a stream, most of the fear looks like it comes from sounds/footsteps), TEW is the same, not outright scary but has very tense moments. The sounds are fantastic.

Grief.exe

I'm really thankful for The Evil Within. A real survival-horror/action game. Something capcom just can't/doesn't want to do anymore. Something no one tries because people are lost and and don't find bottles in the first chapter ... Because too hard, too confusing ... It shows me, that Mikami is the only person that could bring RE to former glory. And that ... Will never happen.

And Jim Sterling is wondering why Bethesda is sending Journalists a cheat sheet.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

"Come on, lets go.

Did you know
Those glasses are a keepsake from his grandfather

He originally was going to be a prisoner in the game (Julie Kidman was also suppose to be a prisoner), but both designs changed to be detectives.
His family heritage goes back to a ninja period (spoilers on DLC possibly)
He is Japanese Canadian

All this info is in the art book

Bl@de

And Jim Sterling is wondering why Bethesda is sending Journalists a cheat sheet.

I'm really looking forward for people playing RE1 Remake for the first time. Lol ... you just stand in the main hall after every thing went to crap. Good Luck. Bye ... That's it. I imagine people lying down and crying because they don't know what to do. Definetly 2/10 (Doesn't hold up... no quest markers). Makes me almost cry that I made it through the came as a 10 year old (the original 1997 version). Scared as shit with no instructions and tank controls.

Grief.exe

I'm really looking forward for people playing RE1 Remake for the first time. Lol ... you just stand in the main hall after every thing went to crap. Good Luck. Bye ... That's it. I imagine people lying down and crying because they don't know what to do. Definetly 2/10 (Doesn't hold up... no quest markers). Makes me almost cry that I made it through the came as a 10 year old (the original 1997 version). Scared as shit with no instructions and tank controls.

I've never played it before and it will be glorious.

Riposte

They are too focused on making straight line levels and boring enemies.
This is only true for Revelations (perhaps excluding its fairly pointless hub). RE6 had a robust roster of unique enemy types and a sizeable variety in area layouts, including very big and open areas. Whether you liked the how the combat system was executed or not, these are qualities welcomed in most games of this genre; I can only hope such variety exists on TWE.

Although I think RE6 is trying to accomplish something different than TWE (and this really upsets some people lol), it's amusing how they share some peculiar criticisms/issues. Makes me think I'll settle in just fine. It's just a shame it appears to be so poorly put together technically (thanks to the engine seemingly), although I haven't read much PC impressions.

-MD-

The REmake OT will be both hilarious and depressing.

"I wasted all my ammo on the first zombie what do I do?"

"The knife is so weak why is it even in the game?"

It's one of my favorite games of all time. You're in for a goddamn treat.

Bl@de

Oh you are in for a treat. A true survival horror game with no directions in a creepy manor. Go and do whatever you like. Nothing will ever come close to it. Because gamedesign moved on (for better and worse). It's no real horror if you don't feel lost and helpless. Something only the classic RE Titles can do because of their open map design.

EDIT: Alien Isolation went in a similar direction with the map design. But it's still not the same because you have quests. You don't have that in Resident Evil. There is the house and your inventory. Nothing else ... ever.

The REmake OT will be both hilarious and depressing.

"I wasted all my ammo on the first zombie what do I do?"

"The knife is so weak why is it even in the game?"
Only during the first play thorough you feel like that. There is actually more than enough ammo,herbs,first aid once you memorize the game. And can be beaten under 3 hours. I know I beat it under 3 hours all those years ago on GC with 0 problems.

Grief.exe

Oh you are in for a treat. A true survival horror game with no directions in a creepy manor. Go and do whatever you like. Nothing will ever come close to it. Because gamedesign moved on (for better and worse). It's no real horror if you don't feel lost and helpless. Something only the classic RE Titles can do because of their open map design.

Kind of like System Shock 2 in a way.

Only during the first play thorough you feel like that. There is actually more than enough ammo,herbs,first aid once you memorize the game. And can be beaten under 3 hours. I know I beat it under 3 hours all those years ago on GC with 0 problems.

You will have no problem getting the timed achievements then.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have one complaint.

A very important one.

Where's the "THA EVIL WITHIN" voice when you press start ?

You're a lucky man.

That's a great aspect and probably some modern gamers don't quite understand it completely. It brings a lot to the opening of the game. It did a fine job in DMC4 too.

Reebot

That was great imo. Loved that dialog. Hammy and I felt done totally on purpose. I mean... the whole situation with the glasses was. lol

Good hammy is a little different. You can do hammy and still engage the audience and even scare them. Sam Rami made a career of it. This is more like none of the characters are existing within their own world, like they found an unrelated script lying on the floor of the studio. You would never say those lines, have those reactions, within the context of the game. Huge disconnect.

I'd settle for one line of
"Hey partner man this obvious nightmare dream hell sure is weird. By the way I black out constantly. And some spooky nurse keeps implying I'm insane. Anything weird happen to you today? Also remember when you grew boils and tried to kill me? Now lets come up with a plan to get out of here."

-MD-

I know, I'm just saying comments like that will be hilarious to see.

Cause you know people are gonna do it and immediately uninstall the game and say it sucks.

Top Bottom