• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

HeelPower

This is only true for Revelations (perhaps excluding its fairly pointless hub). RE6 had a robust roster of unique enemy types and a sizeable variety in area layouts, including very big and open areas. Whether you liked the how the combat system was executed or not, these are qualities welcomed in most games of this genre; I can only hope such variety exists on TWE.

Level and encounter design are mind numbingly boring in RE6.

I really didn't like what that game did at all with enemies and boss fights.

The game also gives you a lot of pointless combat choices that you don't really need unless you're playing mercenaries.

Mercenaries is good.The main campaigns are just so uneven and boring at many moments.

Onlythisfar41

Neo Member
This is a great game.

I was very unsure how I would enjoy it but once I heard the good reviews I decided to go out last night and buy the game. I played the first 30 minutes at midnight in my pitch black room while my girlfriend was asleep in the bed next to me. It took all my will power not to scream "FUCK!!!!" really loud during one of the jump scares.

Im through 4 chapters now and and think that anyone thats on the fence about this game right now needs to jump off that fence and buy this game. The atmosphere is great, its a good looking game and it definitely gives you a challenge. Im someone that always puts games on the hardest difficulty level allowed the first time through. TEW is definitely challenging but it rarely feels unfair. Of course there are a few trial and error deaths but for the most part I love the difficulty level.

Great game and I can't wait to keep progressing through this game.

Jobbs

Banned
And Jim Sterling is wondering why Bethesda is sending Journalists a cheat sheet.

playing survivor here -- and I was sort of oddly delighted by the fact that the game was frustrating me at times. I find it refreshing. I like a game to not just roll over and wait for me to win. I like being pushed a little. I like feeling like I NEED to scan the environment for advantages or think about what upgrade will help me the most. It's an integral part of the experience, particularly when it comes to survival horror.

I'd argue that there's no such thing as an EASY survival horror game. It's self contradictory. If it's easy, it's not really SH.

I know, I'm just saying comments like that will be hilarious to see.

Cause you know people are gonna do it and immediately uninstall the game and say it sucks.
True haha. But I usually ran past most zombies in all RE unless stuck in a tight corridor. Did the same in Dino crisis 1.

I'm really looking forward for people playing RE1 Remake for the first time. Lol ... you just stand in the main hall after every thing went to crap. Good Luck. Bye ... That's it. I imagine people lying down and crying because they don't know what to do. Definetly 2/10 (Doesn't hold up... no quest markers). Makes me almost cry that I made it through the came as a 10 year old (the original 1997 version). Scared as shit with no instructions and tank controls.

For the love of God, at least tell there is a rewind feature?

Holy shit this game is intense. Played through chapter 3. I don't really understand the review complaints about the game not telling you about a lot of the things you can do. I media blacked out and have already figured out you can, up to this point:

-Use a match on a dead body to burn an enemy coming at you
-Burn a hay stack to burn an enemy
-Skillfully lure enemies into all the various traps
-Use all the single use items in different ways

The level design is really great, so this helps the matter even more. There is ALWAYS something you can utilize to your advantage whether it be the terrain, a trap, etc. Still, it IS very difficult and panic inducing, as there is danger around every corner.
The bomb mini game is pretty tough, but I've found it helps to press it ever so slightly ahead of the blue

The game is definitely unique... I really can't say I've played anything like it before. Color me impressed so far.

greenfish

Banned
Holy shit this game is intense. Played through chapter 3. I don't really understand the review complaints about the game not telling you about a lot of the things you can do. I media blacked out and have already figured out you can, up to this point:

-Use a match on a dead body to burn an enemy coming at you
-Burn a hay stack to burn an enemy
-Skillfully lure enemies into all the various traps
-Use all the single use items in different ways

The level design is really great, so this helps the matter even more. There is ALWAYS something you can utilize to your advantage whether it be the terrain, a trap, etc. Still, it IS very difficult and panic inducing, as there is danger around every corner.
The bomb mini game is pretty tough, but I've found it helps to press it ever so slightly ahead of the blue

The game is definitely unique... I really can't say I've played anything like it before. Color me impressed so far.

Wow I envy you, you're gonna have a blast playing Resident Evil 4 and Shadows of the damned for the first time.

Enjoy it sir, enjoy

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yeah. It's more like a WTF-Grindhouse-Action-Splatter Experience with great atmosphere. But I like that. I don't like Outlast, Amnesia and all the other Scary Games^^

Those other scary games didn't do it for me either. I think it depends on who you are and how often you enjoy a horror game. If you're playing them once a week than I think that would do it, but if it's on occasion then it might scare you more. Plus TEW is more of a psychological horror game. It isn't like your typical walk in, walk out type of horror.

I don't like the last part (3-5) chapters of the game. It's a shame because the game is really good untl chapter 11. I think my final score will be a 7.5.

I haven't gotten there yet, but I understand that horror isn't much a given. You have to appreciate where it took you to whatever happens, but I'm anxiously waiting to play more.

They should just throw a sticker on it that says, "This isn't your typical massacre thrill ride".

Mupod

LOL, can't believe the tweets about the first two chapters being too hard/unclear. Come on guys...

They are kinda shitty. But I don't see the point in complaining about it when they're over real fast and the game gets awesome immediately.

I will say I had no idea at which point I was supposed to stop with the stealth approach. I had 4 bullets and suddenly I'm expected to fight multiple enemies!? But it forced me to observe the environment and find the many many ways I could deal with them.

I only had time to play through Chapter 4 last night:

The outside area with the cabins looked amazing. Like moving concept art. The inside of the house with the doctor's brother ran like ass for some reason though, only time I've had framerate issues on PC so far (granted I am downsampling).

The invisible fucker scared the shit out of me. I heard the footsteps and was waiting for something to step through the door when it grabbed me. Fortunately I was carrying an axe and it one shotted him.

The big arena fight was pretty good. I left the traps in place since it was obvious I was in for a big fight, and my plan was to let the zombies activate them. So of course, 5 seconds into the battle I walk face first into a tripwire and die. Second time around I ducked under it, but the enemies just avoided all the tripwires and bombs anyways. Next time I'm dismantling everything.

What they didn't avoid were my carefully placed oil cans I spent way too long kicking around. I barely used any ammo in that fight, hell I'm still maxed out on ammo right now at the start of chapter 5.

Arms lady didn't manage to kill me but I had some close calls. I noticed a jar of green gel in the room behind her - didn't try to get it but it's nagging at me now. Her appearance actually got spoiled by a load screen tip, I was on edge the whole chapter waiting for her to show up. I didn't try shooting her but I'm curious what would have happened if I didn't simply run.

edit: also I am a pro bomb disarmer, I have yet to fail. Might happen if those blue sections get any smaller though...

Mr. Desu

I enjoy the theme, I enjoy the look and I don't mind the black bars. However, the overall experience has been... lackluster and not what I wanted when I first heard about the game.

I wanted a dark, tight corridor horror game that made me feel like I was actually in danger rather than having me repeat sections over and over again trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do and how to survive against hordes and hordes of creatures/zombies/whatever they're called. I'm somewhere in chapter 3, and I understand that's not very far, but I'm not enjoying it. It's not the performance issues or the black bars, or the fact that the game is capped at 30, it's the fact that I don't feel like it's a horror title.

Trying to get a chainsaw off of some dude should not require me to run around this little village 10 times so I don't die. It's silly and it's stupid in design. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong, but it's the only way I can manage to not get attacked and hopefully conserve my ammo enough to kill him. There's the house in that same village that has the trap I can activate, but the timing and trying to hit him is so finicky, it's not even worth it. If I'm doing something wrong, let me know.

The intro sequence made itself look so, so strong and I was super excited, but then
you're thrust out of the environment you expected to spend time in and thrown out into open areas. It quickly loses the feeling of suspense and want to live and becomes a task of getting through the game and learning from your mistakes. Running is an option, but it only gets you so far.

Not pleased. :(

-MD-

"extremely"??? That's a bit of a hyperbole

Saying this game is super unique only works if you haven't played the 2 I mentioned above.

I've finished both RE4 (3 times) and SotD (once), I'm halfway through this game.

All 3 very very different.

I don't like the last part (3-5) chapters of the game. It's a shame because the game is really good untl chapter 11. I think my final score will be a 7.5.

Yep, the chunk I was talking about and people will really find it polarizing. If it didn't have the weird stuff going on and lots of WTF still, I might have been disapointed but since it did, it still gave me that itch, just the enviroment was lacking the atmosphere. Instead going for a more familair yet not familiar feeling.

Squishy3

I enjoy the theme, I enjoy the look and I don't mind the black bars. However, the overall experience has been... lackluster and not what I wanted when I first heard about the game.

I wanted a dark, tight corridor horror game that made me feel like I was actually in danger rather than having me repeat sections over and over again trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do and how to survive against hordes and hordes of creatures/zombies/whatever they're called. I'm somewhere in chapter 3, and I understand that's not very far, but I'm not enjoying it. It's not the performance issues or the black bars, or the fact that the game is capped at 30, it's the fact that I don't feel like it's a horror title.

Trying to get a chainsaw off of some dude should not require me to run around this little village 10 times so I don't die. It's silly and it's stupid in design. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong, but it's the only way I can manage to not get attacked and hopefully conserve my ammo enough to kill him. There's the house in that same village that has the trap I can activate, but the timing and trying to hit him is so finicky, it's not even worth it. If I'm doing something wrong, let me know.

The intro sequence made itself look so, so strong and I was super excited, but then
you're thrust out of the environment you expected to spend time in and thrown out into open areas. It quickly loses the feeling of suspense and want to live and becomes a task of getting through the game and learning from your mistakes. Running is an option, but it only gets you so far.

Not pleased. :(
It took me maybe a minute to kill that guy. You're definitely doing something wrong. The Agony crossbow is your friend.

Jobbs

Banned
I've finished both RE4 (3 times) and SotD (once), I'm halfway through this game.

All 3 very very different.

I see so many things on this forum, especially surrounding this game, that just don't make any sense to me.

Yes, it has some different elements than RE4, but you can't deny the strong similarities that exist. I mean, it's just there. It's plain as day how RE4 certain aspects of this game are.

-MD-

I see so many things on this forum, especially surrounding this game, that just don't make any sense to me.

Yes, it has some different elements than RE4, but you can't deny the strong similarities that exist. I mean, it's just there. It's plain as day how RE4 certain aspects of this game are.

That's how I feel about people saying it's RE4.5, makes no sense to me.

The resource differences alone are enough to make them very different games. When was the last time you guys actually played RE4?

Ugh ch 6 boss

chainsaw dude... I only have like 5 pistol bullets and 2 sniper bullets....guess I'm screwed :/

Run around in a circle and shoot him ;p worked for me.

I had tons of ammo though, use your environment.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Ugh ch 6 boss

chainsaw dude... I only have like 5 pistol bullets and 2 sniper bullets....guess I'm screwed :/

Walk up to the walls and you'll find some bolts and some handgun ammo. Go into the grass area over near the edge and you'll find some in the grass. Circle him to both sides and hit him with ammo. The fight may take a few minutes. That worked for me with barely any ammo. Make every single shot a head shot. That's crucial. You had more ammo going in than I did. I may of had a single bolt.

Jobbs

Banned
That's how I feel about people saying it's RE4.5, makes no sense to me.

The resource differences alone are enough to make them very different games. When was the last time you guys actually played RE4?

I've played through RE4 a number of times, first on gamecube then later on PC. It's been a while, though.

I'm not saying there aren't key differences. I'm saying the game is full of things that are quite similar to RE4, especially in the basic gunplay and enemy encounters. I don't know how you can play chapter 3 in TEW and not see RE4 similarities. The weapons, gunfeel, enemy design (
derranged villagers, a chainsaw madman
), the basic feedback of the combat -- head explosions, shotgun knockdowns -- even the color palette. The similarities to RE4 are strong when it comes to things like this. I'm not saying there are no differences, or that some gameplay elements like hiding in closets or burnign corpses haven't been added -- But for you to say they basically couldn't be more different, when there is no game since RE4 to feel MORE like RE4 than this does, comes across as completely ludicrous to me.

I have no idea how anyone could label this as a horror game, outside of the first chapter. Unless your horror experience started with RE4, which was always nothing but a shooter with creepy elements at best. A bunch of ghosts floating around doesn't make a survival horror game. Yesterday I finished chapter 6 under agony, because it basically was Resident Evil 5 with a slightly higher difficulty (and it really isn't that difficult on normal anyway). And once you can say that about a ,,horror title'' (,,nostalgic'' horror nonetheless), you have utterly failed as a developer.

Squishy3

Agony crossbow too op people got to use it.
Yeah, there's really no point in keeping the traps that are set up by enemies around. Agony crossbow does everything they do and more. Want to set traps for enemies? Explosive bolts. Get some free kills with the flash bolts. Harpoon some fools. Freeze some motherfuckers. Set those assholes on fire. The list goes on. Weapon is so godlike. Using matches on existing corpses to burn enemies that are alive is also important.

Scoot2005

Banned
So what do the map pieces and keys do?

Also, are there any other hidden items to be on the lookout for?

The keys open up the safes in the save room behind the mirror. Once you have one go into the mirror and the nurse will take you to them. Once you open this area you can see the map pieces on a grid like area on a wall in one of the back rooms. The keys open the safes which contain really useful stuff like lots of ammo and green gel. So far I have opened four safes and have gotten 10,000 green gel, 15 round of pistol ammo and 5 explosive bolts. The remainders of the ammo that you can't carry stay there for you to pick at a later time. Hope this helps!

Also, there are A LOT of safes.

Nemesis_

I pick this up in eight hours, finally.

ibai5KrKaGEpuq.gif

-MD-

I've played through RE4 a number of times, first on gamecube then later on PC. It's been a while, though.

I'm not saying there aren't key differences. I'm saying the game is full of things that are quite similar to RE4, especially in the basic gunplay and enemy encounters. I don't know how you can play chapter 3 in TEW and not see RE4 similarities. The weapons, gunfeel, enemy design (
derranged villagers, a chainsaw madman
), the basic feedback of the combat -- head explosions, shotgun knockdowns -- even the color palette. The similarities to RE4 are strong when it comes to things like this. I'm not saying there are no differences, or that some gameplay elements like hiding in closets or burnign corpses haven't been added -- But for you to say they basically couldn't be more different, when there is no game since RE4 to feel MORE like RE4 than this does, comes across as completely ludicrous to me.

I never said it didn't have RE4 similarties, the influence is obviously there. Chapter 3 is clearly the village from RE4 but they didn't ape it, it felt new to me. Chapter 6 also has strong RE4 similarities, the entire fight with the
harpoon turret leading into another fight with chainsaw bro.

At their core though they function very differently. You can say the gunplay/weapon feel are the same but they're not, the enemy encounters aren't the same either, RE4 would throw about 20 guys at you frequently, I've seen that twice so far in this and it was never that exaggerated. The color palette is closer to REmake than RE4 imo. Burning corpses was also borrowed from REmake.

Where did I say they couldn't be more different? All I said was they are different enough to feel like their own game, they are their own thing. You should go do another RE4 playthrough and re-read the comments from folks saying this is a carbon copy of RE4, you'll laugh.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I still cant decide between this or mordor. Damm

You won't have enemy dialogue close ups in this and there is more substance to the plot and atmosphere.

It's really a major difference in games. One takes place on a large battlefield and the other is survival horror. I find TEW more appealing because I'm not a huge LOTR fan, but I bought Mordor because of the nemesis engine. If you took the Nemesis engine out of SoM then I don't think I would of liked it as much. Those flipping elf crowns get to me after a while.
It depends on what you want really. I'm not trying to bag on SoM for my own personal opinions.

TEW is about as "extremely" different from RE4 as The Last of Us is to Uncharted 2

Its clearly the same guy behind the enemy design, the level design, the combat design, the set pieces, the upgrade system, etc. Just one of them you tend to have less ammo then the other one.

Teggy

The dripping and oozing sounds they have put in the surround channels are creeping me out!

Also I had a checkpoint bug in chapter 4, I guess in my favor.
Spider girl chased me into the room with the large white door and killed me. When the checkpoint reloaded, the door was closed and she was on the other side. I guess I was supposed to press the button to close the door?

Seyavesh

i wonder how much people's expectations were tempered by the game's marketing advertising itself as a heavily 'horror' based game when there's such a varied set of gameplay approaches to that as a genre

especially when considering the modernish resurgence of the genre that have been experimenting with how to approach it

I have no idea how anyone could label this as a horror game, outside of the first chapter. Unless your horror experience started with RE4, which was always nothing but a shooter with creepy elements at best. A bunch of ghosts floating around doesn't make a survival horror game. Yesterday I finished chapter 6 under agony, because it basically was Resident Evil 5 with a slightly higher difficulty (and it really isn't that difficult on normal anyway). And once you can say that about a ,,horror title'' (,,nostalgic'' horror nonetheless), you have utterly failed as a developer.

It's easy to see how this is labled horror. It's got tension, the soundtrack is creepy, the ammo managament,enemy design, locations, etc. This game has more horror aspects to it overall in design, sound, and visuals then RE5 ever had. It might not be what you consider horror, but to say it's foundation isn't horror is flat out wrong.

Top Bottom