• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

The dripping and oozing sounds they have put in the surround channels are creeping me out!

Also I had a checkpoint but in chapter 4, I guess in my favor.
Spider girl chased me into the room with the large white door and killed me. When the checkpoint reloaded, the door was closed and she was on the other side. I guess I was supposed to press the button to close the door?

Yep and if you don't burn that body she can use it's blood to appear inside also.

So can someone who has experience with the PS3/360 version of this game tell me how it fairs performance-wise? After hearing about how it is on PS4/XB1, I would really like to know.

Riposte

I'd argue that there's no such thing as an EASY survival horror game. It's self contradictory. If it's easy, it's not really SH.

So if you are really good at games (like I'm really good at Resident Evil 1 and 2), survival horror doesn't exist?

Moofers

So can someone who has experience with the PS3/360 version of this game tell me how it fairs performance-wise? After hearing about how it is on PS4/XB1, I would really like to know.
I played the first two chapters on 360 last night (rented via redbox) and it's fine. Typical texture pop-in stuff we saw all gen thanks to unreal engine but it's no biggie. It looks fine and plays well.

Jobbs

Banned
So if you are really good at games (like I'm really good at Resident Evil 1 and 2), survival horror doesn't exist?

"easy slam dunking" doesn't exist, even though there are some people who can do it without too much trouble. and if you lower the hoop by a few feet, well, it ain't slam dunking.

It's easy to see how this is labled horror. It's got tension, the soundtrack is creepy, the ammo managament,enemy design, locations, etc. This game has more horror aspects to it overall in design, sound, and visuals then RE5 ever had. It might not be what you consider horror, but to say it's foundation isn't horror is flat out wrong.

A bunch of visual clues fall flat in making this survival horror, because the gameplay is the complete opposite. Even the stealth goes away after 2 chapters or so. At it's very worst, it became RE5 in that one other chapter, because it didn't even have horror aesthetics anymore. But during most of the rest of the game so far, it still is more shooter than anything else. And even though some potentially moody aspects are here and there, they are all ruined by inferior gameplay. This game can in no way be compared to REmake, Silent Hill 2, or even Amnesia (i.e. actual horror titles). And although you have little ammo, the enemies are way too generic in both strategy and appearance to really create any tension. And considering the emphasis on calling this ,,nostalgic horror'' above anything else, makes it even more laughable (and turns developers and reviewers calling it that into liars or simply incompetent).

Raptor

I enjoyed chapter 1 and 2 a bit more than most, I guess. I would agree with most of the common complaints, but they don't affect my enjoyment.

I don't even see the black bars on my 44" television. If that makes me like Cypher from The Matrix, then so be it. I'm sure it sucks on a smaller PC monitor, it is what it is.

I've only finished Chapter 3 and time is short, with a lot of other "stuff" going on in my life I have to take care of, so I'm not rushing through this by any means. Chapter 3 was extremely solid, though. I enjoy the stealth.

In contrast to my rather brief and obsessive posting style, I think I'll do two massive impression dumps, one at the half-way point, and one when I finish it.
Very nice man, looking forward to read them

A bunch of visual clues fall flat in making this survival horror, because the gameplay is the complete opposite. Even the stealth goes away after 2 chapters or so. At it's very worst, it became RE5 in that one other chapter, because it didn't even have horror aesthetics anymore, but during most of the rest of the game so far, it still is more shooter than anything else. And even though some potentially moody aspects are here and there, they are all ruined by inferior gameplay. This game can in no way be compared to REmake, Silent Hill 2, or even Amnesia (i.e. actual horror titles). And although you have little ammo, the enemies are way too generic in both strategy and appearance to really create any tension.

Show me the official rule that states a horror game can't have a heavier aspect on shooting mechanics? Regardless if there is more shooting, it's still a horror game and more so then RE4, RE5, or RE6 for that matter. It isn't full blown Silent Hill but it has lots of traces of that, and other horror stuff in it. I just don't get the whole "It has lots of shooting therefor can't be horror"

kick51

Banned
That sounds pretty sweet to me, you might sell a few copies with that post.

sure, if that's someone's thing. Cuts the other way for me.

The insta-death "you got caught" stuff is lame, the action is not nearly as engaging as RE4, and I guess the Silent Hill-esque stuff sort of works out...though there aren't any interesting puzzles. And all the tension is sapped out by checkpoints. It's a modern brainless AAA action game with a horror motif, nothing more, nothing less. Hopefully it works out for them.

Riposte

"easy slam dunking" doesn't exist, even though there are some people who can do it without too much trouble. and if you lower the hoop by a few feet, well, it ain't slam dunking.

I find this rebuttal really weird. How is "without much trouble" not a description of ease? Slam dunks are entirely relative to your height and the height of your jump. What is considered the "correct" hoop height is also entirely relative to the height of humans who invent and change the game. Finally, slam dunking is a physical motion, so yes, you can slam dunk on a lowered hoop, especially, for example, if you are a child.

Seyavesh

The insta-death "you got caught" stuff is lame, the action is not nearly as engaging as RE4, and I guess the Silent Hill-esque stuff sort of works out...though there aren't any interesting puzzles. And all the tension is sapped out by checkpoints. It's a modern brainless AAA action game with a horror motif, nothing more, nothing less. Hopefully it works out for them.

at what point does a game cross the concept of having 'horror' be a motif into it being in the 'horror' genre of gameplay

that kinda line is real interesting when considering how much that line differs between folks, especially when seeing people's reactions/reviews

Godcannon

Man, this game is so good. Alien:Isolation is definitely scarier, but Evil Within is a lot more fun. I really like how it's challenging, but I never feel stressed or anxious. I love exploring as many areas possible and the different ways you can die are hilarious. My favorite part is probably how if you die, it is your own punishment for making a mistake, you are always given a chance to overcome. I took a risk pre-ordering it, which I NEVER do, but I'm happy that it is paying off. Game on!

vg260

A bit of a shame it doesn't look as good as RE5.
And also if you're going to stare at a guy's back for 12 hours, at least create a decent running animation. Not a big deal but still.

With that and the limited FOV, it does kinda seem like a big deal.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
A bunch of visual clues fall flat in making this survival horror, because the gameplay is the complete opposite. Even the stealth goes away after 2 chapters or so. At it's very worst, it became RE5 in that one other chapter, because it didn't even have horror aesthetics anymore. But during most of the rest of the game so far, it still is more shooter than anything else. And even though some potentially moody aspects are here and there, they are all ruined by inferior gameplay. This game can in no way be compared to REmake, Silent Hill 2, or even Amnesia (i.e. actual horror titles). And although you have little ammo, the enemies are way too generic in both strategy and appearance to really create any tension. And considering the emphasis on calling this ,,nostalgic horror'' above anything else, makes it even more laughable (and turns developers and reviewers calling it that into liars or simply incompetent).

There was quite a bit of shooting in the old Resident Evil games.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Where do these people come from lol?

The same door enemies spawn from in Destiny.

Hell, 30k people who didn't buy the game watched it for free on Twitch.

There's probably a politician out there who knows what the first couple of chapters feel like.

There's a generation of YouTube Gamers on the rise.

TEW is about as "extremely" different from RE4 as The Last of Us is to Uncharted 2

Its clearly the same guy behind the enemy design, the level design, the combat design, the set pieces, the upgrade system, etc. Just one of them you tend to have less ammo then the other one.

There is a big difference in how much I enjoyed TLoU over Uncharted 2 though, so you're just making me nervous with this comparison sir

kick51

Banned
at what point does a game cross the concept of having 'horror' be a motif into it being the 'horror' genre

that kinda line is what makes me real curious about people's reactions to this game when considering how much that line differs between folks

if you wanna talk about a horror video game, it needs some source of tension. For the gameplay: Checkpoints, an abundance of resources and environmental possibilities, and matches with the strength and splash damage of a hydrogen bomb pretty much undermine the gameplay tension. I don't think any of the classic Resident Evil games are particularly scary for their story/plot presentation, but on those first few playthroughs when you don't know what's ahead of you, you get in many tense gameplay situations. Then that tension drops off from 4 and onward. This game tries to have its cake and eat it too-- simplified gameplay but giving you the illusion of an under-resourced horror game protagonist. This doesn't work for me.

As for story/plot, if I had the answer, I'd be an award winning horror writer. All I can say is that everything here really feels like it comes from somewhere else and while the environments look scary, they don't actually fill me with any dread because I feel like I'm playing a modern big budget game in a horror game's clothing. The atmosphere's mere spooky existence isn't really enough. Also, Sebastian's lines are pretty hilariously flat, which also makes it feel more aimed at the dull masses. The way he stays super focused and objective in the face of what he's going through is just...wow. The dialogue in general has that weird PS1/PS2-like "obviously translated from japanese" feel. They need a better translator.

Reebot

Alright I'm calling it on chapter 7. This one's heading back to the store.

Getting serious RE 6 flashbacks in terms of quality and reception. Most people will probably not like it. Some will get a kick out of it. A few very loud folk will call it the second coming and claim the rest of us just didn't get it.

If you're on the fence and want one more opinion its a bellow average shooter that occasionally makes you walk around hallways covered in blood. Very slow paced action based on animation exploits - which I think people are confusing for difficulty - and there is some fun to be had in small bursts. If you really love close up shots of people slowly turning their head to the camera this will be your heaven.

No, its not a return to form. And no, its not a good horror game even without failing the Mikami name.

I give it a C- as a game but I'm bumping up the score to a solid A for all you head turn fanatics out there.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Alright I'm calling it on chapter 7. This one's heading back to the store.

Getting serious RE 6 flashbacks in terms of quality and reception. Most people will probably not like it. Some will get a kick out of it. A few very loud folk will call it the second coming and claim the rest of us just didn't get it.

If you're on the fence and want one more opinion its a bellow average shooter that occasionally makes you walk around hallways covered in blood. Very slow paced action based on animation exploits - which I think people are confusing for difficulty - and there is some fun to be had in small bursts. If you really love close up shots of people slowly turning their head to the camera this will be your heaven.

No, its not a return to form. And no, its not a good horror game even without failing the Mikami name.

I give it a C- as a game but I'm bumping up the score to a solid A for all you head turn fanatics out there.

Buy FEAR 3 once you're there. That's the game you want.

DukeBobby

Chapter 7 spoilers.

The battle with The Keeper was a little disappointing, especially after all the hype. He was pretty slow and his traps were easily avoided. I also got the achievement for only 'killing' him twice.

Chapter 7 spoilers.

The battle with The Keeper was a little disappointing, especially after all the hype. He was pretty slow and his traps were easily avoided. I also got the achievement for only 'killing' him twice.

Agreed, but the
part where he tears off his head
was awesome.

HeelPower

Glad to hear the stealth goes way in later chapters(to an extent)

Tired of using bottles to distract enemies and stuff...Had enough of this mechanic in TLoU and Hitman Absolution.

-MD-

Chapter 7 spoilers.

He was a bit slow ya but I had a lot of fun in that fight, I liked where they went with chapter 7 after 6.

-MD-

sweet, this thread is still a "no criticism allowed" zone. You can still like your game. It's okay if not everyone gives you validation on your video game taste.

Sorry for laughing at the guy's comment.

Dial it back, chief.

Reebot

sweet, this thread is still a "no criticism allowed" zone. You can still like your game. It's okay if not everyone gives you validation on your video game taste.

Didn't you know OT's are a designated hug box zone? Its great for people who are insecure in their own enjoyment.

Glad to hear the stealth goes way in later chapters(to an extent)

Tired of using bottles to distract enemies and stuff...Had enough of this mechanic in TLoU and Hitman Absolution.

It's still often an option, but the number of forced combat scenarios greatly goes up, and even though I've been caught in nearly of the stealth sequences and been fine on resources, though they did get low at a few points.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
if you wanna talk about a horror video game, it needs some source of tension. For the gameplay: Checkpoints, an abundance of resources and environmental possibilities, and matches with the strength and splash damage of a hydrogen bomb pretty much undermine the gameplay tension. I don't think any of the classic Resident Evil games are particularly scary for their story/plot presentation, but on those first few playthroughs when you don't know what's ahead of you, you get in many tense gameplay situations. Then that tension drops off from 4 and onward. This game tries to have its cake and eat it too-- simplified gameplay but giving you the illusion of an under-resourced horror game protagonist. This doesn't work for me.

As for story/plot, if I had the answer, I'd be an award winning horror writer. All I can say is that everything here really feels like it comes from somewhere else and while the environments look scary, they don't actually fill me with any dread because I feel like I'm playing a modern big budget game in a horror game's clothing. The atmosphere's mere spooky existence isn't really enough. Also, Sebastian's lines are pretty hilariously flat, which also makes it feel more aimed at the dull masses. The way he stays super focused and objective in the face of what he's going through is just...wow. The dialogue in general has that weird PS1/PS2-like "obviously translated from japanese" feel. They need a better translator.

lmao

I randomly started the game off by upgrading capacity of the matches and it has paid off really well because of stuff like that. They are crazy effective, and so far I have pretty frequently been capped on the amount of ammo I can hold. In one of the more recent fights I did, 5 or 6 haunted showed up so I ran back and lit an oil spill on fire and thought it would get maybe 2 kills max, but it stayed active for awhile and everyone kept going at me and they all died.

Didn't you know OT's are a designated hug box zone? Its great for people who are insecure in their own enjoyment.

OT's are a funny place. On one hand you have people defending the game they enjoy immensly (somtimes too much and too defensive). On the other hand you have people who dislike it (which is fine) but then claiming it's the new RE6 (going overboard). You have to find a good balance otherwise either side can look a little silly. Comments and thoughts are welcome cause that brings the discussion and that's all we want. Sometimes people just get caught up in things or interpet things the wrong way.

I ended up focusing a lot of my upgrades into the harpoon bolts. They're so cheap to make and the final upgrade for them is ridiculously good.

I find this rebuttal really weird. How is "without much trouble" not a description of ease? Slam dunks are entirely relative to your height and the height of your jump. What is considered the "correct" hoop height is also entirely relative to the height of humans who invent and change the game. Finally, slam dunking is a physical motion, so yes, you can slam dunk on a lowered hoop, especially, for example, if you are a child.

Yeah, that comparison doesn't follow for me either. The window of success for games may demand more from some players than from others, but that doesn't change the type of game it is. "Hard" is not a genre, even if some people want to pretend the Souls games represent an example of that genre, or "Roguelikes" as another trendy example. If a player masters a game with tight windows for success and great consequences for failure, the game does not lose it's structure or rules or limitations or anything else it asks of the player, it has simply been overcome. Now, if the result is that you don't find the game satisfying or convincing because you outclass it's challenge, that's perfectly legitimate and understandable, but that doesn't mean the game isn't part of a genre.

See, this an interesting description, but I don't see how this doesn't apply to any game with a tight window for success that you've never played before. Tension could also be claimed as one of the biggest factors in action games or fighters as well. I'm right there with you though in the sense that a real sense of danger exists when you have limited resources and the uncertainty of what is coming, but that again is a result of a game's rules meeting your expectations and skill level, not necessarily a tenet exclusive to the genre itself. (To be clear, I'm not arguing against the actual fact that having limited resources is necessary for this genre, I'm talking about someone experiencing tension.)

The fact that difficulty has transcended or fallen out of commonality to such an extent that it is now considered tied to genres is an interesting indictment of modern gaming.

Top Bottom