• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Hi guys,
just wondering if this game has incorporated any of the mechanics of Vanquish,
does the game feel more like Vanquish camera control system or more like resident evil 4?

They're very similar, obviously not a 1:1 match, it has its own elements and mechanics that make it unique. Mainly the stealth. But RE4 is definitely one of its closest analogues.

The encounter and enemy design is very RE4. I don't see how anyone could deny that.

nah man, totally different games. There are only 6 enemies thrown at you at the beginning of chapter 8 instead of 7, and you only got 7 shotgun shells instead of 18.

They may as well be different genres

Hi guys,
does the game feel more like Vanquish camera control system or more like resident evil 4?

Well its certainly not like Vanquish at all lmao

I haven't even finished chapter 3 and I already dig it. Glad to hear it gets better!

So, what's the verdict on exactly what the benefit of burning bodies with matches does?

Crowd control and keeping possible revived enemies down. It works well if you down a enemy, two more are coming, light the one on fire, and they catch fire too if there are standing on top of the body.

Hi guys,

Unless you end up getting the suit as an unlockable there's really nothing from Vanquish in here. Not the upgrade mechanic nor any of the movement abilities. It's much closer to RE4 overall.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Hi guys,

Well, you can't slide around and do backflips but other than that it's basically vanquish.

Good for killing downed enemies instantly, it kills any enemy standing on or very close to the body, and it's good for a few gimmick sections where seemingly dead bodies come back to life.

So should I focus on upgrading matches? So far I've been upgrading the weapon sway...

So can someone who has experience with the PS3/360 version of this game tell me how it fairs performance-wise? After hearing about how it is on PS4/XB1, I would really like to know.

PS3 version here.

Framerate and texture pop-in can get awful in cutscenes. No idea what the framerate is during regular gameplay (Eyeballing it, I'd say 20-ish in most cases down to 15), but it's definitely not 30. Playable for sure, but if you've got any alternative, take it because honestly, I don't think it should have ever released on the PS3/360. Not in this state.

-

Going off on a tangent, it's things like that which stop me from calling it RE4's successor. Inconsistent framerates and texture pop-in are very immersion-breaking. Then there's the long loading times you spend waiting for the game instead of, you know, playing the game. And in the PS3 version's case, low-res textures on top of a low resolution for a game with an 'unclean' aesthetic makes for a muddled mess.

Is it true maxing out melee is a waste? I wanted to Mike Tyson some zombies, bummer if so.

After 3 upgrades it still seems like a waste. Best investment starting out is sprint. I think people will get super frustrated later in the game if they don't focus on upgrading it first.

Ricker

Took a lot of tries but I finally completed chapter 3 lol...hadn't seen some bolts lying around and had a few regular guys I hadn't killed,found more stuff,saved after each new thing and it went smoothly once there was just on thing left to do :p....thanks for all the tips guys ;)

Shadownet

Banned
Sup, man! Yeah it's a lot of fun actually. Picks up a lot at the third chapter.
Sorry I left you with Destiny. I just wasn't feeling it. I didnt even get to level 8. I got so burnt out of it. But I can't wait till the next big PS4 co-op game. I'll definitely play that with you.
-------------------
Also some tips.
As some people said on here don't bother upgrading melee, it's quite useless especially later on. (Save it for last if you must upgrade it.)

Matches are your best friends.

Flame bolt are great! you can hit one enemy with it and it spread to any enemies happen to be nearby since the flame fans out.

Handgun and shotgun are better than sniper rifle honestly. I'd focus on upgrading those two first.

Sometimes it better to leave the trap alone and lure enemies into them rather than disarming them for parts.

Did I tell you how awesome flame are in this game? flame hurt enemies a lot.

I upgraded weapon spray, damage and critical, clip in that order. Having good control and damage is pretty important. Im almost max out my shotgun, it's a beast to use.

Xpliskin

Ohhhhhh it's that time again.

Or they will just put you on ignore and call you a troll. "LALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU THE GAME IS AMAZING AND TOTALLY SURVIVAL HORROR WHATEVER THAT MEANS LALALA"

lalalala.gif

cerulily

Pretty much shooting one enemy in the leg, then waiting till they bunch up and setting them all on fire carried me through the early -> mid game. That combo is so overpowered it basically breaks the game early.

About the greatest issue i can make against the game, is that the random jumping around of locations often deminishes a sense of progression. I know i am getting farther, but the journey is so disjointed that it doesn't actually "feel" farther than before.

Patroclos

Banned
That assumes your enjoyment of something is so frail that the comments of an internet stranger can suck it away.

Not me. I find the game exactly what I expected. A good solid survival horror game with shitty optimization, a bit of jank and bad voice acting. Sounds exactly like survival horror as I've always known it.

Whining about threads is silly and petulant. I honestly would think people with that sort of mentality would start a new thread expounding on their viewpoints with like minded individuals and those that ARE interested in debating the topic. Never happens though. They instead tend to linger in a fashion that is toxic for all.

zoukka

PS3 version here.

Framerate and texture pop-in can get awful in cutscenes. No idea what the framerate is during regular gameplay (Eyeballing it, I'd say 20-ish in most cases down to 15), but it's definitely not 30. Playable for sure, but if you've got any alternative, take it because honestly, I don't think it should have ever released on the PS3/360. Not in this state.

-

Going off on a tangent, it's things like that which stop me from calling it RE4's successor. Inconsistent framerates and texture pop-in are very immersion-breaking. Then there's the long loading times you spend waiting for the game instead of, you know, playing the game. And in the PS3 version's case, low-res textures on top of a low resolution for a game with an 'unclean' aesthetic makes for a muddled mess.

To make it bit easier for you, the PS4 version looks like ass too technically.

Shauni

One of the best items in the game, you can burn fallen enemies to finish them off. Saves on ammo big time.

Yeah, and it's crazy how effective it can be in the right situation. Had a guy down, and three others shambling around. Hit that bastard with a match, got lucky enough to not get interrupted, and they all burned.

Reebot

Not me. I find the game exactly what I expected. A good solid survival horror game with shitty optimization, a bit of jank and bad voice acting. Sounds exactly like survival horror as I've always known it.

Whining about threads is silly and petulant. I honestly would think people with that sort of mentality would start a new thread expounding on their viewpoints with like minded individuals and those that ARE interested in debating the topic. Never happens though. They instead tend to linger in a fashion that is toxic for all.

Haha bro I never took it as a given that discussing a game in the OT was thread whining.

cerulily

The acting is perfectly fine. it's the script that has problems. The acting is basically as good as you could expect out of any game. not standout, but not in any way approaching bad. Just boring script.

Papercuts

The acting is perfectly fine. it's the script that has problems. The acting is basically as good as you could expect out of any game. not standout, but not in any way approaching bad. Just boring script.

Really? I think it's a mix of both. Sebastian has such a hilariously detached deadpan delivery regardless of what's happening.

-MD-

I think this game might just have the best head shots. I love how you can blow half a Haunteds head off and they still come after you.

I chipped away one guy's mask/head earlier in like 4 different spots before he went down. Love how the headshots sound, so good.

mattp

question:
should i bother redeeming this fighting chance thing that was in the box? i feel like it's just gonna make things easier. which isn't necessarily what i want
how does it work. i just instantly get new shit added to my inventory?

Lucent

Really doesn't look bad to me but I mean if you wanna say that. lol. I did find a part in the PS4 version though where in a corner the grass was separated at the corner like a triangle and it looked like the texture was blown up and blurry. I saw someone post a screenshot of it earlier. I'll have to post my screenshot but I was like "lol wtf" when I saw it. Besides the closeup of grass blades when sneaking around in them, I think the game in general looks nice. The one thing that bothers me is when you see something sort of copy and pasted like they're either trying to do that to save time/be lazy or it's easier to reuse assets.

Like in chapter
5 when you see the bloody stuff on the wall or the floor and it's got what looks like teeth and an eye looking thing in the center. It's all arranged in the same way and I'm like wtf is this?

-MD-

question:
should i bother redeeming this fighting chance thing that was in the box? i feel like it's just gonna make things easier. which isn't necessarily what i want

Another poster said the shotty is given to you where the default shotty is found so outside of a few extra bullets and a free healing item it really isn't shit.

Your call.

Really? I think it's a mix of both. Sebastian has such a hilariously detached deadpan delivery regardless of what's happening.

The actors are obviously talented, but they have just have all this stilted dialog to deliver. Have you been reading the journals? Its the same thing, like that early PS2/translated from Japan into English cadence.

Lucent

question:

It automatically appeared in my inventory in chapter 3. The shotgun with that pack is 50% more powerful than the pump shotgun but you can't upgrade it. I think the pumpshotgun can be upgraded to surpass that shotgun though.

The rest of the stuff is barely a help. The first aid kit though...I haven't found one in the game yet. So weird. =l

5000 green gel doe

Damn, I forgot about that. lol.

-commits seppuku-

rapid32.5

On chapter 8, Mikami is a fucking genius, he did his homework, so many inspirations from other games like Gears, TLOU, Silent Hill, RE4, other RE games, plus putting his own ideas with twists. Love it. The only thing I don't like is the game engine it is dated. Game's art style keeps the visuals afloat.

Carbonox

On Chapter 7 now. Chapter 6 was truly...ahem...dog shit...

Chapter 7's a bit better though.

Every time I go through some new area I'm like "yep, been there in that RE game, been there in this RE game", etc. Some of it I don't mind, some of it I do.

AdaWong

This is not horror. :(

Extremely disappointed by this game, the framerate is atrocious, the graphics are nothing to write home about, and everything just feels like a game that was a launch title for the X360.
The story is terribly confusing and the enemy/character design is boring.

I just don't understand how we got the impression that this game would bring back "survival horror." This is as horrific as The Last of Us could get, TLOU was thrilling but not scary. Just highly, highly disappointed with this one.

Good part? The gameplay is fun. So it's not a complete waste of time/hype.

Although, in one year, I will probably forget everything about this game. In RE4's/Remake's case, I still remember exactly how I felt the first time I was playing (how scared i was with Remake and how thrilled I felt with RE4.)

Papercuts

The actors are obviously talented, but they have just have all this stilted dialog to deliver. Have you been reading the journals? Its the same thing, like that early PS2/translated from Japan into English cadence.

For sure, a lot of the game feels like an older gen game to me in general, that's probably a big part of it kickstarting that mood.

I think Sebastian is more agile in this than Leon was in RE4, ducking alone makes it so.

He probably meant more with the limited stamina, weak melee, and also doesn't have the same amount of context actions. Like in chapter 3 I was running up to a window and was fully expecting to dive through it but he doesn't pull a Leon there.

But it does look better. lol Maybe not framerate-wise (again, arrgh), but it can't be awful from what I've seen. I'd assume the higher resolution and better textures at least do the aesthetic justice.

I think Sebastian is more agile in this than Leon was in RE4, ducking alone makes it so.

I disagree. He runs out of stamina quickly and you don't have anywhere near the melee options Leon does. Leon can also dodge some stuff via prompts. You don't feel like a badass at all in this game.

He probably meant more with the limited stamina, weak melee, and also doesn't have the same amount of context actions. Like in chapter 3 I was running up to a window and was fully expecting to dive through it but he doesn't pull a Leon there.

Yup.

In no world would I call Jennifer Carpenter a talented actor... Haven't played the game yet though, but I don't doubt the dialogue is shit.

Lucent

Okay here's that part I was talking about. The only "oops" I've really seen. Wonder how that went unnoticed/unfixed?

And I'm uploading a part that I think was funny so I'll post that in a second.

Top Bottom