• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Quoting for new page:

<3

Too big of a thread to seek answers ;)

So finally got my PS4 copy and apparently it contains a code for ''the fighting chance pack''. Do I even want to redeem it? Does it affect the balance too much? Is the gun exclusive to the pack?

I kinda hate bonuses like this especially on survival horror games. TLOU did the same shit, no?
The Shotgun from the pack shoots two shots with each trigger pull and cannot be upgraded, 5000 green gel and two other strange bolts, the
poison bolt which lures a single zombie to poison that causes it to throw up and die, and the incendiary bolt
none of the items in the pack can be upgraded.

AdaWong

Oh so it's physically impossible for Sebastian to heal himself while crouching, he just has to
stick his goddamn neck in front of the huge rotating blade.

God

wat

They're not bad, they're decent. A bit off though.

Such as? I'll buy those games right now.[/QUOTE]

This game feels like Silent Hill Homecoming, Downpour, and the melee/otherworld reminds me of Deadly Premonition.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
So should I focus on upgrading matches? So far I've been upgrading the weapon sway...

I did it once. I find running out to be a pain.

Is -MD- a negative opinion counter bot? So quick to reply to anyone not posting positive things about the game.

I think we're a tad optimistic. You create negativity on one end and then the flood gates open. Like that Tweet from Patrick K. a while back. It was like it he was calling everyone in to hate on the intro. No offence. I say that and people are like "put the game down". Well anymore it's like that.

In general people aren't perfect, why should games be? It's going to be an Oscar winning game over the year or it's someone's gas they spend going back to the store.

They're not bad, they're decent. A bit off though.

Such as? I'll buy those games right now.

This game feels like Silent Hill Homecoming, Downpour, and the melee/otherworld reminds me of Deadly Premonition.[/QUOTE]

17492.jpg

That's some combo right there. It makes no sense. Those are all different games if you played them right this very instant. I think it's overall doing its job at making the control of the character work for this type of game.

I played Downpour about a week before this came out. I am thankful TEW has the controls it has.

-MD-

Is -MD- a negative opinion counter bot? So quick to reply to anyone not posting positive things about the game.

Yeah for sure, haven't replied to a single person criticizing the game in at least the last 3 pages of the thread.

Other than JC because he made a scene again.

Lucent

Yeah lol that was good. I shot at it and it got stuck, so shot again, it shattere the statue but crow was forever stuck! lol

I just found it weird that the statue slid into place back into the locker. I was expecting it to drop where the crow was in the air.

Did he tell them they were wrong? Do you understand that people have differing opinions and that a discussion forum is the best place to discuss those differences in opinion?

Hate or love the game all you want but I don't have a problem with people discussing what they themselves didn't like, I do think "this is an echo chamber" type posts, especially when it's not at all, is annoying, be better than that.

Lucent

Yeah that didn't happen second time I got there. Man is there a list for all the keys and maps yet anywhere online?

Yeah I will really need that sometime. Dusk said he found like 24/28 but I am on chapter 6 and I haven't found a single one. I dunno what I'm doing wrong. lol.

The keys are the only things I've been doing decent with.

SDCowboy

After playing this this some, it's hard to believe how much of this was spoiled in the trailers. The scene with the spider bitch should have been terrifying. Instead, I knew it was coming before even entering the room...

I feel like AdaWong expected too much out of this game if he is indeed playing this on a 360 lol. Come on son.
The PS3 version is a mess in the beginning sections of the game head shots froze the game for a split second every time and and the frame rate is everywhere..but I'm driven to keep playing, this is like a love letter from Mikami to people who dig this type of stuff, 15 hours in about to finish the last 3 chapters, for me it's so worth the technical mess, but I can definitely see how others would throw in the towel.

-MD-

After playing this this some, it's hard to believe how much of this was spoiled in the trailers. The scene with the spider bitch should have been terrifying. Instead, I knew it was coming before even entering the room...

Yeah that scene I had wished I didn't know was coming, I'm sure I would've stood there going "what the fuck is this..." and instantly died.

I'm glad I didn't watch the last ~3 trailers they released though.

Which is why you should never watch trailers for anything. They always show a bit too much.

I don't even watch movie trailers anymore. I look at the cast, director and synopsis and roll with it.

aravuus

Which is why you should never watch trailers for anything. They always show a bit too much.

Andrew.

Banned
All this talk and none of you bitches have mentioned The Suffering or even Sanitarium.

We need a new Suffering. Surprised that hasn't been remade, rebirthed or bled out with the bevy of start overs that get churned out.

Game is fucking amazing by the way.

AdaWong

Y'all ain't slick for tearing me down. This game deadass feels like SH Downpour especially, at least as far as combat goes tbh&#128530;&#128530;

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah I will really need that sometime. Dusk said he found like 24/28 but I am on chapter 6 and I haven't found a single one. I dunno what I'm doing wrong. lol.

The keys are the only things I've been doing decent with.

I'm on chapter 5 and found 3 map pieces. They do seem really damn hard to find.

SDCowboy

Yeah that scene I had wished I didn't know was coming, I'm sure I would've stood there going "what the fuck is this..." and instantly died.

I'm glad I didn't watch the last ~3 trailers they released though.

I don't even watch movie trailers anymore. I look at the cast and synopsis and roll with it.

Instead, the only thing that was terrifying was the camera and being unable to get through the fucking door. haha

kodecraft

I disagree. He runs out of stamina quickly and you don't have anywhere near the melee options Leon does. Leon can also dodge some stuff via prompts. You don't feel like a badass at all in this game.

I play Sebastian like a bad ass though, RE4 just held your hand with it via prompts. This is a more evolved RE4 while simultaneously being it's own thing. I'm highly enjoying this.

He probably meant more with the limited stamina, weak melee, and also doesn't have the same amount of context actions. Like in chapter 3 I was running up to a window and was fully expecting to dive through it but he doesn't pull a Leon there.

Which makes me feel more like a bad ass when managing those limitations correctly. I spam the run button but never let it drain all the way, so I am always on the move, I duck on high swinging enemies, I aim at the neck/head to get nice head shots, I melee with bottles in hand.

This game requires a little thought, crafting bolts, dis arming traps, setting up traps.....this is all bad ass.

-MD-

Is anyone else playing with the in-game icons/popups off? I was watching a stream earlier and whenever he'd walk over something like oil it'd pop up and tell you that you can light it on fire. I'm also frequently checking my gun/ammo situation because it never tells me how many bullets I pick up.

It's way more fun to find out that stuff on your own.

Was gonna link some combat but didn't wanna bother, hilarious stuff though comparing those 2 games.

misho8723

Banned
All this talk and none of you bitches have mentioned The Suffering or even Sanitarium.

We need a new Suffering. Surprised that hasn't been remade, rebirthed or bled out with the bevy of start overs that get churned out.

Game is fucking amazing by the way.

Played Sanitarium last month for the first time - previously played only the demo - and it is still pretty good game.. great artstyle, great music, cool (creepy) atmosphere, mostly very good voice acting - even from the children, puzzles were ok/good most of the time, good lenght - about 8-10 hours for the first time,..
So yeah, overall really good gaming experience

P.S. I enjoyed both Suffering games, so I wouldn't be against another one in the series

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Too be fair... that's not too far removed from the melee in The Evil Within ;P

There aren't rakes and crowbars. He has a few tools he can interact with. Neither can he just go into a broad combo.
The axe or torch are gone by the time you use it on a group

In Silent Hill you could carry that crowbar around for awhile.

-MD-

There aren't rakes and crowbars. He has a few tools he can interact with. Neither can he just go into a broad combo.

They're actually gone after
a single hit on anything, or if you even switch to a gun they seem to disappear.

I was referring to the horrible animation cycles, hit detection and general wild haymaker swings that both games have in common.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
They're actually gone after
a single hit on anything, or if you even switch to a gun they seem to disappear.

You pick them back up if you choose to do so, that's only if you switch your gun out

I was referring to the horrible animation cycles, hit detection and general wild haymaker swings that both games have in common.

My take on that whole thing is that you can't compute an animation to fit every enemy. Either you throw a punch at something or you don't. Just make a punch animation is what I'm getting at.

Lucent

Yep. There was barely any footage when that was released though and I was starving for something on the game. Would've been cool if they changed it for final release somehow just to mess with the people who saw that.

I came in the room and was like "well, I know what to do here" and I ran for the green gel and ran immediately to the hallway without even looking at her.

The only tense part after that was
grabbing the green gel off the floor and the ammo after and trying to get down the ladder. Then ducking under the trip wires hoping she didn't come close enough to set them off on me. lol

-MD-

You pick them back up if you choose to do so.

Whenever I'd switch to a gun while holding a melee weapon it seemed to
vanish completely, if I pick up another item on the ground though then it'll drop the item I'm currently holding.

Your items persist even if you switch to a gun? I only tested it twice in the same chapter maybe it was a bug or something, I'll try it again later tonight.

Pick up an axe, switch to gun, look on the ground there's your axe.

Yeah definitely wasn't the case for me, must have clipped through the floor or something because I looked around.

My take on that whole thing is that you can't compute an animation to fit every enemy. Either you throw a punch at something or you don't. Just make a punch animation is what I'm getting at.

I guess, but the cheap animation cycles aren't restricted to melee. It's just not a very smooth game at all.

There was a situation I had the other day. I was climbing up a ladder, and was just above head height, yet the zombie thing grabbed out. Instead of ripping me from the ladder, it just warped to the animation loop of being grabbed and bitten. It's things like that which make this game seem so unpolished and a little sorry.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
vanish completely, if I pick up another item on the ground though then it'll drop the item I'm currently holding.

Your items persist even if you switch to a gun? I only tested it twice, I'll try it again later tonight.

Pick up an axe, switch to gun, look on the ground there's your axe.

I guess, but the cheap animation cycles aren't restricted to melee. It's just not a very smooth game at all.

There was a situation I had the other day. I was climbing up a ladder, and was just above head height, yet the zombie thing grabbed out. Instead of ripping me from the ladder, it just warped to the animation loop of being grabbed and bitten. It's things like that which make this game seem so unpolished and a little sorry.

I had something like that, but when I fell I was free to be attacked. When I fell there were monsters waiting to attack. My character fell into an animation. Like falling out of the village house in RE to a chainsaw man in his animation for the instant death. If that was a glitch or you actually went from mid ladder to the animation with his attack. Depending on how far you fell determines how easy you are attacked. A short distance might mean you're a sitting duck or you can move while a longer drop can mean damage, but some limited invincibility to melee attacks or ranged. I think it all depends on how it was made.

Ascending you enter a vulnerable mode by hit detection. Some games make you invincible to attacks arriving to the peak at which you arrive because there's an animation. If that animation left you vulnerable then you are allowed to be taken to wherever the enemy wants you (i.e. fall back or arrow to the chest, etc).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Your items persist even if you switch to a gun? I only tested it twice in the same chapter maybe it was a bug or something, I'll try it again later tonight.

Yeah, it should just be on the floor somewhere when you do that.

Xpliskin

You came to the wrong neighborhood
terminators.jpg

Agree about the cycles.

Hit detection though shows you haven't played the game a lot.

And about the wild right hooks, sebastian has a tobacco and alcohol problem. Can't blame him, he needs to let it all out.

Ugh I was up til morning last night trying to beat the ch.10 end boss. Finally beat him and got to ch.11, which is weird cause
the outdoor city environments run way smoother than the outdoor rural ones, at least for the PS4 version.

The ch.10 boss is pretty amazing though guys, it's easily the best one so far that I've played. He's really tough though as other posters have pointed out. I'll give a tip that really helped me kill him.

At the start of the encounter equip frost arrows and hide against the pillar until a giant eye pops out of his back. Once the eye is out freeze him and then pull out the sniper rifle and hit the eye. Move behind a car and wait for him to walk down the garage and for the eye to pop out again. Two shots to the eye will trigger his "berserk" mode, freeze him and shoot out the heads or shoot the eye in his mouth to kill him.

dark_chris

just got this game. Goddamn. Finished chapter 1 and i have no idea whats going on in the end.

Maybe itll be explained later in the game but when a city like that is going to shit and there no people around, it kinda bothers me.

Top Bottom