• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Still pretty early but the way the MC delivers some of the lines is baaaaaaaaaaaaad. Like, just entirely out of place. I dunno if it is intentional but it's just weird.

I play Sebastian like a bad ass though, RE4 just held your hand with it via prompts. This is a more evolved RE4 while simultaneously being it's own thing. I'm highly enjoying this.

Thats a reductive way to look at RE4's stun + melee options. In this game crowd control is setting a trap or burning a pack of enemies with a match. In RE4 it's suplexing and kicking your way through them. fwiw I'm really enjoying it too.

kodecraft

Thats a reductive way to look at RE4's stun + melee options. In this game crowd control is setting a trap or burning a pack of enemies with a match. In RE4 it's suplexing and kicking your way through them. fwiw I'm really enjoying it too.

Didn't mean to take anything away from RE4's melee options. Just in comparison to TEW it's different.

The thing that bothers me is that it doesn't quite have that ''dream like bad delivery'' like in SH1 for example. It's more like from some super cheesy horror flick.

I know they said visually they were going for that 80's stlye of horror. So with that said, not sure if they made the dialog in the same light. Either way, I think some of it might be accounted for due to the ending, but well... I'll leave it at that.

And maybe that was sort of the point given Mikami's style. Dude has never made anything serious.

As I said I'm still pretty early but thus far it kinda clashes with the gameplay portions since it seems to me those are made to be for a very serious style horror game. The cutscenes themselves don't seem to be that bad but when the MC reacts to things during gameplay it just feels very tacky.

Anyway the game definately feels more Silent Hill than Resident Evil thus far.

The framerate feels fine to me (PS4). I did download some patch though. Texture pop in in cutscenes is the worst technical offender for me. The black bars don't really bother after a while.

AkuMifune

Banned
Didn't mean to take anything away from RE4's melee options. Just in comparison to TEW it's different.

In regards to melee, why does Sebastian have a knife for stealth kills but uses his fists for melee? Or am I missing something? It's possible, I didn't know boxes could be smashed either. Fuuuu

My knife, she only kills from the rear.

-MD-

In regards to melee, why does Sebastian have a knife for stealth kills but uses his fists for melee? Or am I missing something? It's possible, I didn't know boxes could be smashed either. Fuuuu

This is a good question, they should've removed the knife and gave him a throat rip technique to keep it consistent.

ijmrhHjP8eL48.gif

I know they said visually they were going for that 80's stlye of horror. So with that said, not sure if they made the dialog in the same light. Either way, I think some of it might be accounted for due to the ending, but well... I'll leave it at that.

Yeah, within the first cutscene and chapter really, i noticed something just doesn't feel right about this world and i love it :)

SpokkX

Man made it through chapter 3 on ps4

What the f**k about that framerate?!!

I cant play this :(

Totally breaks the immersion, and that the game seems great from a design standpoint makes it even worse

If they dont patch this i wont play it, it is just atrocious and makes me ill. Surely chapter 2 and 3 are the worst offenders??

This thread, goes from one tonal shift to the next. Exactly like the game.

kE4Ajnr.gif

As with the game, it doesn't surprise me. Survival horror games in general since the dawn of time had polarizing opinions about said game, nothing new. From the people to the reviews, it shows. That twitter feed picture alone is true as to why we barely even get games like this anymore. Maybe Alien:Isolation 2 can turn into COD since that would make people happier and I guess TEW 2 would turn into Dead Space 2-3.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

What if you got your knife stuck in them and then
two hits later you're dead
I think the game runs faster than a fast knife combo.

tumblr_mczgxy56Sw1roozb6o1_500.gif

In RE you're thankful because they move slowly for most of the time.

lmao are you kidding me, Xpliskin can't keep stop talking about me. I think he's harassed me more than I ever did Slasher

Don't shift the blame, you scoundrel. Clearly you have it out for Mikami, his game, fans of his game, reviewers of his game, and threads about his game.

To be fair, you CAN do this:

vmRQ30.jpg

...with a bottle-throw stun.

kE4Ajnr.gif

As with the game, it doesn't surprise me. Survival horror games in general since the dawn of time had polarizing opinions about said game, nothing new. From the people to the reviews, it shows. That twitter feed picture alone is true as to why we barely even get games like this anymore. Maybe Alien:Isolation 2 can turn into COD since that would make people happier and I guess TEW 2 would turn into Dead Space 2-3.

wat

who could possibly want that.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'll be typing up my overall thoughts for The Evil Within later for Steam review, but my thoughts right now after completing the game right now:

The Evil Within is the first game by Tango Gameworks, made by a collection of series veterans who worked on old horror games like the Resident Evil series and Haunting Grounds & newcomers in the video game field. And it shows. There are elements of the game that feel very finely crafted, the game keeps on introducing news things all the way to the end and it never lays on its laurels, it's paced pretty well and some elements show expert craftsmanship and understanding of the genre and game design. But then there's also a layer of jank, areas that aren't as finely crafted and feel less polished than others. And the game stuffs so many ideas into its 13-17 hour campaign that it completely changes tones and moods and can sometimes feel like completely different games from chapter to chapter. What I find is that two chapters will keep a general mood (chapters 2 and 3, 4 and 5, 9 and 10, 11 and 12, 7 and 8), that will then completely shift going into the next couple chapters.

The game captures feelings of Mikami's old horror games in places. There are moments it feels more like F.E.A.R. and Condemned. There are some serious callbacks to various horror movies in certain chapters. A few moments that feel more like RE4's Island section or Resident Evil 5. Moments that feel like they could of been straight out of Silent Hill. And more. However, the game never quite loses its identity due to some frequents and consistencies, an overarching explanation for all of this, and a good amount of pacing and build-up to things.

However, this can also make the game something like a roller coaster. There are highs and lows. There are moments that the game feels and plays amazingly, with expert design, and areas that may hit heavily in your 'strike zone' and that you will absolutely love. But by this same double-edged sword, there may come sections or chapters you're just not very fond of. The game almost tries too much, but then I don't quite want to say that as a con as it really makes it fun to see what comes next and stops things from being repetitive and works good at getting you out of your comfort zone.

I played on PC, so it wasn't bogged down by issues like slowdown, load times, or anything, and the game has some fantastic art direction, though visual fidelity is mixed, with some areas looking very good, and others rather meh. The lighting and fog effects are really well done though.

However, a number of moments in this game stand out to me, and the sort of tougher enemies, lower supplies, and some of the fantastic highs of The Evil Within have pushed it to be a favorite of mine.

It has some jank to it, but in place has so much put into it, and obviously so much love for the horror & survival-action genres. It's not full-on survival-horror of yesteryear, but closer than most anything recently, and takes on its own tone despite having direct reference to various horror games and movies.

I can tell now this is going to become a cult title, a rough gem, it has a few more pros and cons I'm not mentioning in this short write-up, but it is a wild ride and one I already want to replay. If you are less prone to some jank, there is an absolutely fun game with some excellent and amazing portions, and even at it's worst it's not downright terrible or anything, just okayish. And I feel that different people will have different favorite and least favorite moments. I'm now hoping it does well enough to warrant a sequel.

-MD-

That twitter feed picture alone is true as to why we barely even get games like this anymore. Maybe Alien:Isolation 2 can turn into COD since that would make people happier and I guess TEW 2 would turn into Dead Space 2-3.

These were my thoughts after seeing that twitter picture and just comments in general. Even if we do get a sequel it's fucked if they listen to feedback.

daman824

Argh, I'll buy this. With so many big games coming out that I really want (mcc, SO, ac:u, Da:eek:) I was going to hold off one games that seem to be divisive or don't review excellently. But I need a horror game for october. And after playing it a few months back, this game interests me so much more than alien.

Going to go ps4 with this one. Glad I waited for the df article.

mp1990

Banned
Is the framerate/graphics really that bad or it's just some people that are exaggerating about 60fps/1080p ? I really want to pick up the game and even i can't see any difference between 30fps/60fps i don't want a game that is almost unplayable.

In Chapter 6, I was exploiting the hell out of
Joseph and his axe when you have to take out the gunners
. It was almost unfair. But I couldn't afford being pushed back so far since the last checkpoint was pretty far back.

Is the framerate/graphics really that bad or it's just some people that are exaggerating about 60fps/1080p ? I really want to pick up the game and even i can't see any difference between 30fps/60fps i don't want a game that is almost unplayable.
I got someway into ch2 and the framerate was completely fine. Is guess the problem rears its head at ch3 and onward though :/

MormaPope

Banned

kE4Ajnr.gif

Higher budgets meaning more people having to buy the game is why these games aren't made. More people play games than ever before, you're going to see people that jump right into the horror genre because of TEW, due to hype. And then be disappointed when the game is actually very different than what they imagined.

There is a reason why the vast majority of modern horror games are created by indie devs.

That is one really stupid thing about the game. I'll never understand why it's like that. It's kind of like in the first Splinter Cell where you could only take down enemies with your hands if you were behind them. There is no melee combat whatsoever in that game. It was so stupid.

Oh well, it's still a fun game, but Chapter 2 gets kind of annoying because of the worthless melee.

Oh yeah, I can definitely see why people were bitching about the first chapter lol.

Even if movements weren't hampered by a wounded leg, it reminded me why I won't be playing any of those hide-and-seek horror games...

In Chapter 6, I was exploiting the hell out of
Joseph and his axe when you have to take out the gunners
. It was almost unfair. But I couldn't afford being pushed back so far since the last checkpoint was pretty far back.

I stood behind him on the bridge with the two axe throwing dudes. swing away joe, swing away.

aravuus

Holy shit @ ch10's
escape sequence
So goddamn intense

I honestly need to take a small Peggle 2 break before continuing.

SpokkX

Imo the framerate on the later part of ch2 and ch3 on ps4 is so bad i would say it at least destroys the immersion and affects the controls

Lightning seems to kill the engine completely

I bought on psn otherwise i would have returned this unoptimized mess :(

Dusk Golem

Also, since I feel like it, here's how I would rank the chapters right now:

15 > 10 > 6 > 13 > 9 > 7 > 11 > 3 > 14 > 4 > 5 > 2 > 12 > 8 > 1

Or like this (Best to worst)

Chapter 15
Chapter 10
Chapter 6
Chapter 13
Chapter 9
Chapter 7
Chapter 11
Chapter 3
Chapter 14
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 2
Chapter 12
Chapter 8
Chapter 1

Jobbs

Banned
Imo the framerate on the later part of ch2 and ch3 on ps4 is so bad i would say it at least destroys the immersion and affects the controls

what? I didn't notice any real framerate issues on my ps4 in those levels.

I'm starting to wonder if different peoples machines play this game differently than others. I just don't see these dramatic, game breaking framerate issues.

-MD-

15 > 10 > 6 > 13 > 9 > 7 > 4 > 14 > 11 > 3 > 5 > 2 > 12 > 8 > 1

6 at #3? Interesting. I have a feeling 6 is gonna be at the bottom of my list.

3 at #10 also interesting, that's towards the top for me.

mp1990

Banned

Fuck man,after this and seeing GB Quick Look i'm not so sure about picking it up,most of times i don't care if the fps is bad but this is horrendous.

Dusk Golem

That would make sense as 6 is the chapter in the game that feels most RE4-esque. I liked it as a change of pace, but I think I liked it more for the reasons I REALLY liked its art direction and I actually really liked the main boss of the area and a few scenarios. I was less fond of the ruin fight (with the gun stands and the
Sadist
part), but I most liked everything else, and I had a strange like of the Sebastian-Joseph scenes.

3 at #10 also interesting, that's towards the top for me.

I thought about it for a second and liked it more, changed my list around too:

Chapter 15
Chapter 10
Chapter 6
Chapter 13
Chapter 9
Chapter 7
Chapter 11
Chapter 3
Chapter 14
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 2
Chapter 12
Chapter 8
Chapter 1

I'd go more into my reasoning, but don't want to spoil people.

Chapter 15
Chapter 10
Chapter 6
Chapter 13
Chapter 9
Chapter 7
Chapter 11
Chapter 3
Chapter 14