• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Higher budgets meaning more people having to buy the game is why these games aren't made. More people play games than ever before, you're going to see people that jump right into the horror genre because of TEW, due to hype. And then be disappointed when the game is actually very different than what they imagined.

There is a reason why the vast majority of horror games are created by indie devs.

At the same time it's a shame because indie developers will never be able to make a horror game with this many encounters, variety in level design, exploration and monsters, weapons.etc All of them have been on the very small scale. I love when my survival horror games are lengthy and mindfuck me when I play, I love them when they are challenging and force me to adapt and get better, I love them when they are varied as fuck and keeps throwing new things at you to juggle with the old shit, I love them when they are dark in tone and thick in atmosphere.etc

The last of this kind of Survival Horror game we got, was Dead Space 1 and that was 6 years ago and we know the mess that happened with the later sequels. I am enjoying TEW too much so far because it keeps throwing, mixing, goes through many tonal shifts through out it's 15 chapter ride and changing things on the fly to the point you don't know the fuck is going on and that's what you should feel like, kind of like seeing the inside of a man going slowly insane. You see people complain about one chapter then praise it the other lol. It's scratching that itch for a meaty,varied,lengthy,survival horror game.

Pick up an axe, switch to gun, look on the ground there's your axe.

I had something like that, but when I fell I was free to be attacked. When I fell there were monsters waiting to attack. My character fell into an animation. Like falling out of the village house in RE to a chainsaw man in his animation for the instant death. If that was a glitch or you actually went from mid ladder to the animation with his attack. Depending on how far you fell determines how easy you are attacked. A short distance might mean you're a sitting duck or you can move while a longer drop can mean damage, but some limited invincibility to melee attacks or ranged. I think it all depends on how it was made.

Ascending you enter a vulnerable mode by hit detection. Some games make you invincible to attacks arriving to the peak at which you arrive because there's an animation. If that animation left you vulnerable then you are allowed to be taken to wherever the enemy wants you (i.e. fall back or arrow to the chest, etc).

No it was straight warp. I have video footage, I'll upload it when I can.

Arkanius

Chapter 3 question regarding Burning

Burning enemies will only stop them from re spawning if I die right?
Or do enemies revive after some time?

That would make sense as 6 is the chapter in the game that feels most RE4-esque. I liked it as a change of pace, but I think I liked it more for the reasons I REALLY liked its art direction and I actually really liked the main boss of the area and a few scenarios. I was less fond of the ruin fight (with the gun stands and the Sadist part), but I most liked everything else, and I had a strange like of the Sebastian-Joseph scenes.

I thought about it for a second and liked it more, changed my list around too:

chapter 6's art design looked like it was straight out of dark souls 2

Holy shit @ ch10's
escape sequence
So goddamn intense

I honestly need to take a small Peggle 2 break before continuing.

Oh man, that chapter midway to the very end...

giphy.gif

This thread, goes from one tonal shift to the next. Exactly like the game.

kE4Ajnr.gif

As with the game, it doesn't surprise me. Survival horror games in general since the dawn of time had polarizing opinions about said game, nothing new. From the people to the reviews, it shows. That twitter feed picture alone is true as to why we barely even get games like this anymore. Maybe Alien:Isolation 2 can turn into COD since that would make people happier and I guess TEW 2 would turn into Dead Space 2-3.

You can shit on Dead Space 3 all you want but leave Dead Space 2 out of this :p

It still had a lot of damn good horror areas with amazing atmosphere like the Unitology church or the nursery.

SpokkX

what? I didn't notice any real framerate issues on my ps4 in those levels.

I'm starting to wonder if different peoples machines play this game differently than others. I just don't see these dramatic, game breaking framerate issues.

Aw crap so it gets worse? if you did notice it later that is

In my experience it is never different fps on different machines, some people just dont care or notice framerates as much. The human factor imo

Ch3 in the open areas with lightning is around 25fps with drops all around :( it is quite obvious

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
That chapter 10. It sure was a doozy!

Chapter 15 and 10 were clear-cut my two favorites in the game. Chapter 6 was a bit more close-cut, but I think I liked it more for the art direction, some of my favorite character moments, and it did remind a lot of RE4 in places. Also, I liked two of the boss battles.

Chapter 13 I won't spoil, but it gives off huge Condemned/F.E.A.R. vibes, and had a few moments I really liked.

Chapter 9 was probably the second weirdest chapter (in a good way) and also has the mansion level.

Chapter 7 had some fun encounters and I liked the
trap emphasis and Keeper encounter a lot.

Chapter 11 has grown on me, some of the moments in that chapter are fantastic.

Chapter 3 is simple and great, I was a bit too good at it though which may be why I have it lower than most (I did a real good job sneaking around town and stealth killing people and then taking out the level boss).

14 is like 13, but a bit more flawed, but still had fun with it.

---

And so on, and so forth. I feel this game will have drastically different favorite/least favorite moments for different people.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
well, it looks like I'm going to have to restart chapter six today. Bummer.\\

I spose I could try to beat him with melee attacks, but no thanks.

Higher budgets meaning more people having to buy the game is why these games aren't made. More people play games than ever before, you're going to see people that jump right into the horror genre because of TEW, due to hype. And then be disappointed when the game is actually very different than what they imagined.

There is a reason why the vast majority of modern horror games are created by indie devs.

After awhile my impression about those horror game fans is that so long as it's scary, it's a good horror game. In other words they value more on 'horror' than on the 'game' aspect, which isn't anything wrong, it just leads to this current situation we find ourselves in the middle of.

Indie devs, oh yeah they can make some horrific stuff I'll give them that, doesn't necessarily mean they'll be fun to play.

Gonna restart tonight so the wife can watch. Didn't really pay attention to the dialog exchanges at the beggining either due to too much wine :)

Also, since I feel like it, here's how I would rank the chapters right now:

15 > 10 > 6 > 13 > 9 > 7 > 11 > 3 > 14 > 4 > 5 > 2 > 12 > 8 > 1

Or like this (Best to worst)

Chapter 15
Chapter 10
Chapter 6
Chapter 13
Chapter 9
Chapter 7
Chapter 11
Chapter 3
Chapter 14
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 2
Chapter 12
Chapter 8
Chapter 1

Wow, good to hear you think the game ends on a strong note! As much as the island in RE4 is filled with awesome moments, it was overall the weakest act of the game in my opinion because it never matched the atmosphere of the village nor the level design highs of the castle. And the final boss was a joke.

Hubble

I have not played the game yet, waiting for it to come in but I was a bit disappointed its structure is in chapters and not open world like Resident Evil 1-4 or the Silent Hill series. I'm sure I'm going to enjoy the game either way, looks great, and look forward to it.

Chapter 10 is top tier as shit. A+ level. Great environmental art direction, sharp level design, challenging boss fight, top tier traps and combat.

Been playing the game all day today. I'm having an absolute blast. I spent way too much time exploring Ch. 3 and I spend way too much exploring in general but the atmosphere is amazing and I just love trying to conserve as much ammo as possible while using the traps in the environment.

So I'm halfway through chapter 3 and still not feeling it. The jank is crazy. This is not how a polished game looks.
I'm slowly getting into the gameplay. I basically ditched the stealth for the biggest part because it sucks. Most of the time it's next to impossible to anticipate where the enemies are going. So yeah, fuck it. Finally understand what the matches are for. Shoot in the feet and the light the fuckers up.

Lets see where this is going.

AdaWong

Since you guys are talking about Capcom and what their stance on this game and horror in general, they created a whole sub-series to Resident Evil (Revelations) to pursue this kind of "horror" game (with a much lower budget).

RE7 is going to give you exactly what RE5 and RE6 gave you. Action and some thrills and one or two "scary" segments, but tons of replay value.

RE5 & RE6 are in the Top 3 most sold games Capcom has (they made it to the top in literally 2 years) so it's really, really hard and too risky for them to step away from that formula that works especially considering how much money they need right now.

Sayad

About to start chapter 8, really love the game, but man, those technical issues, bugs and the stupid camera... This game could have used few more months in the oven.

Dusk Golem

Does the bad guy die and the good guy surivive? I don't mind being spoiled.

Major spoilers:
It's hard to say, Ruvik does die and he is a bad guy, but there's major hints he wasn't the true villain and there's far more at work here. Ruvik was basically dead since the game's beginning, only his brain was being kept alive by an unknown organization that was manipulating him and betrayed him for his research. He tired to get revenge, but basically every villain except Ruvik and the doctor got away which hints there may be worse things to come.

Sebastian does manage to survive, but it's questionable if he's alright or not. It also can be read into in the end that Sebastian hasn't escape the world he's in, which is a different plane of reality. He may be stuck in the alternate plane of existence, but maybe that's how he prefers it as there are hints Sebastian was trying to escape reality anyway. Or maybe he is back in reality but see's things from the other reality, so something like stuck between worlds.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Chapter two.
Game runs and looks like shit, plays pure gold.
A golden shit, or a shitty treasure? We will see!
Ps3 version

DukeBobby

Also, since I feel like it, here's how I would rank the chapters right now:

15 > 10 > 6 > 13 > 9 > 7 > 11 > 3 > 14 > 4 > 5 > 2 > 12 > 8 > 1

Or like this (Best to worst)

Chapter 15
Chapter 10
Chapter 6
Chapter 13
Chapter 9
Chapter 7
Chapter 11
Chapter 3
Chapter 14
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 2
Chapter 12
Chapter 8
Chapter 1

I'm not surprised chapter 8 is down there. It felt like filler.

Gekko87

A quick question for those deep into the game, is the "it is what it is" trophy/achievement possible to do on survival 1st play though? It says you need to finish the game without upgrading any skills using green gel. I want to play the game normally but the trophy whore in me wants to give it a shot.

Liking the game so far (on chapter 3), a little surprised by the last of us influence, frame rate doesn't bother me but the texture pop in does, and it still looks great.

ColEx

Has anyone noticed any issues with sound on the PS4 version? I'm standing a few meters away from someone beating on a door, and i cant hear the banging, its also been strange in other area's too. I don't know what's up.

Edit: Was my audio setup, not the game. Herp derp.

So I'm halfway through chapter 3 and still not feeling it. The jank is crazy. This is not how a polished game looks.
I'm slowly getting into the gameplay. I basically ditched the stealth for the biggest part because it sucks. Most of the time it's next to impossible to anticipate where the enemies are going. So yeah, fuck it. Finally understand what the matches are for. Shoot in the feet and the light the fuckers up.

Lets see where this is going.

right where you are, & bailed. there's crude-but-charming (deadly premonition), & then there's crude & uninspired. there's just no one & nothing to care about here...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Id pay up to $5USD for a patch that removes the chapter end screens from this game. It'd feel so much nicer if it actually felt like a constant Silent Hill-esque descent into madness.

LProtag

Should I be burning every enemy I kill? Even with stealth kills?

This game is kinda already kicking my ass and I'm only an hour or so in.

-MD-

Not sure if serious.

Walk forward, stand still for 10 seconds, turn around, walk forward, stand still for 10 seconds.

I've yet to fumble a stealth kill.

Yup, it's not terrible (I would say even chapter 1 isn't terrible), but it felt completely like filler.

Bummer, chapter 8 is where I'll be starting tonight. At least 9 is waiting for me right after if It's disappointing.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
A quick question for those deep into the game, is the "it is what it is" trophy/achievement possible to do on survival 1st play though? It says you need to finish the game without upgrading any skills using green gel. I want to play the game normally but the trophy whore in me wants to give it a shot.

Liking the game so far (on chapter 3), a little surprised by the last of us influence, frame rate doesn't bother me but the texture pop in does, and it still looks great.

I'm sure it's possible but I think it would make the game a hell of a lot less fun. It's the type of thing that's much easier to play around when you're aware of what's ahead.

Dusk Golem

You guys shouldn't be too worried for Chapter 8, it just feels filler. It's very short, and mostly is story dedicated.

I'm at chapter 3 and I'm not feeling the checkpoint/save system at all. It feels like the save points are so rare and the checkpoints are annoying because I have to go and recollect any item I spent 30 minutes finding again. Just annoying. And I don't like the black borders at all. Should have gone for the PC version but ahh, got sucked in by the hype and wanted to actually play something on the damn thing.

...But despite that wall of complaints I like it fairly well. Just wish the checkpoints were more reasonable than one every 30 minutes. I have to sleep sometime, video games. But this could be because of my playstyle, which is trying to sneak around and collect everything. May try to be more rambo next time I play.

I'm at chapter 3 and I'm not feeling the checkpoint/save system at all. It feels like the save points are so rare and the checkpoints are annoying because I have to go and recollect any item I spent 30 minutes finding again. Just annoying. And I don't like the black borders at all. Should have gone for the PC version but ahh, got sucked in by the hype and wanted to actually play something on the damn thing.

...But despite that wall of complaints I like it fairly well. Just wish the checkpoints were more reasonable than one every 30 minutes. I have to sleep sometime, video games. But this could be because of my playstyle, which is trying to sneak around and collect everything. May try to be more rambo next time I play.

3 is the worst chapter when it comes to checkpointing imo. You can get caught in a loop of looting, dying and then having to do it all over again. Spent way longer than I should have there due to that. Not come across any other area where it feels like that.

Top Bottom